Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like that Tink still gets people riled up

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
He still writes on twitter, but the only engagements he gets is anti-woke people who generally agree with him, which makes it all kind of pointless.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

He's a really good grifter.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Funny how kyeyune sees himself as a communist but mostly writes for liberal/right wing papers...almost like he doesnt really care and just calls himself whatever.

His opinion and takes are mostly dumb as hell, and his own blog is a pain to read.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So apparently Tegnell has decided that swedes are immune to covid-19 now despite being unable to provide any evidence for why that is the case.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Alhazred posted:

So apparently Tegnell has decided that swedes are immune to covid-19 now despite being unable to provide any evidence for why that is the case.

Link? When did he say that?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I guess they mean this https://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/anders-tegnell-immunitet-finns-aven-utan-antikroppar/ ?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Huh that's just saying they haven't seen anyone get corona twice.

Anyway I wonder how much of the decline in corona cases are due to everyone being on holiday rn and schools being closed for the summer. I can definitely see a second wave sometime in the beginning of September when everyone is back at work and in school and hanging out indoors.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Alhazred posted:

So that's whey he keeps hailing Nurgle.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN24M25L

quote:

Swedish epidemiology boss says questioned COVID-19 strategy seems to be working

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden’s top epidemiologist said on Tuesday a rapid decline in new critical COVID-19 cases alongside slowing death rates indicated that Sweden’s strategy for slowing the epidemic, which has been widely questioned abroad, was working.

Sweden has foregone a hard lockdown throughout the outbreak, a strategy that set it apart from most of Europe.

Chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the public health agency said a rapid slowdown in the spread of the virus indicated very strongly that Sweden had reached relatively widespread immunity.

“The epidemic is now being slowed down, in a way that I think few of us would have believed a week or so ago,” he told a news conference.

Daily COVID-19 death rates as well as the number of infected in intensive care have been slowing gradually since April, with seven new deaths and no new ICU admissions reported by the health agency.

“It really is yet another sign that the Swedish strategy is working,” Tegnell said. It is possible to slow contagion fast with the measures we are taking in Sweden.”

The slowdown in Sweden matched that in several countries that have accredited it to lockdowns. “We have managed to do it with substantially less invasive measures,” he said.

Sweden’s death toll of 5,646, when compared relative to population size, has far outstripped those of its Nordic neighbours, although it remains lower than in some European countries that locked down, such as Britain and Spain.

Hey, guys only seven deaths recently. It means our strategy is working!

What's the actual swedish public view on Tegnell now?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jeff Fatwood posted:

What I can tell, the people who were mad at him at still mad, the hero worshippers have settled down. But it's vacation time, everyone is out and about enjoying the summer. So mostly I think people don't pay much attention these days.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Nah no one cares now, most people i talk to dont read the news anymore since they got sick of daily death reports/is depressed cause they got no money/binge drinking. Outta sight Outta mind. Sucks tho since we are going full fascist currently.

In other news gbg police chief Erik Nord attacks universities and goes full Trump.

https://twitter.com/AENO98/status/1284453907574521856?s=20

Mailed the staff of my university and asked for their opinion about this, and got a "eh its not us he attacks, We like debates, idgaf" answer.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
So the strategy is working if the strategy was indeed "make everyone so numb and depressed that they don't want to go outside anymore". :shepicide:

Zombiepop posted:

In other news gbg police chief Erik Nord attacks universities and goes full Trump.

Appreciate our boys in blue going full cultural marxism conspiracy.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Dont worry Mr. Nord has done internet research so his opinions are correct and good, not like those lousy academics who do science for a living. :smuggo:

When asked to present his own research or sources he just stopped answering. I contacted justitieombudsmannen, they probably wont do poo poo tho, since its the internet, I guess the police dont have to be neutral anymore.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

SplitSoul posted:

You just need to look at its founders to see why they're poo poo. (And lose all respect you might've had for Morten Grunwald and Bent Fabricius-Bjerre.)

BFB is a shithead? (I know nothing about him other than that he composed the Olsen Banden theme and the music to Flåklypa Grand Prix.)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Zombiepop posted:

Nah no one cares now, most people i talk to dont read the news anymore since they got sick of daily death reports/is depressed cause they got no money/binge drinking. Outta sight Outta mind. Sucks tho since we are going full fascist currently.

Mailed the staff of my university and asked for their opinion about this, and got a "eh its not us he attacks, We like debates, idgaf" answer.

I committed the cardinal mistake of reading the comments to that tweet, and the amount of alt-righters and similar ilk that've jumped in to defend him are depressing. I know it's probably a question of a small group making lots of noise, but... urgh. And it's particularly unfunny seeing someone complain about leftists in general only to check their profile and discover screeds about cultural marxism and similar.

"I'm not racist, but...". It is nice company he keeps, Erik Nord.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Government Handjob posted:

BFB is a shithead? (I know nothing about him other than that he composed the Olsen Banden theme and the music to Flåklypa Grand Prix.)

Insofar as he was one of the people who founded CEPOS and is responsible for the cancer it unleashed into the heart of the Danish public debate, yes.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

I am start to get a bit worried that the revisionist "shutdown was an overreaction" media blitz is going to cause trouble when/if we get a second wave in Denmark. It was dumb and wrong that the government explicitly cited advice from experts and authorities as the reason for the shutdown - that was at best only partial truth. The health authorities claim that they did not oppose the shutdown, but the communication from those days show a different situation, where they were strongly arguing in favor of a Swedish strategy.

For some reason the media are still angry at the shutdown and want to make sure a new wave is handled via the Swedish strategy. So we will probably have to wait until hospitals start having trouble coping with admissions before anything happens.

I will be surprised if we don't see schools, universities and nightclubs re-open in August - alongside soaring infection rates. When the out-of-control growth becomes obvious - there will be a period of "appeal to individual responsibility" and some weak mask regulation. Some will start working from home again. Some will withdraw kids from school, and if they're on welfare possibly get financially punished for doing so. Then as hospitals start raising red flags and saying they simply can't cope, there will be a repeat of the shutdown.

Bah.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Hey, guys only seven deaths recently. It means our strategy is working!

Literally everyone+dog is hiding away in their loving stugas instead of being stuck in pub transport and offices, of course it's going down.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

We'll see what happens in september when general vacations are over and schools back up. If there's going to be a resurgence (big IF it's starting to feel like) then it's going to be around there.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
One thing that works to our advantage there is that many will have spent their quarantine period in almost quarantine so hopefully several infection centers will be reduced/removed.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The gyms are as packed as ever so I don't think everyone went away. Who wants to even go on an expensive vacation during a pandemic?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

The gyms are as packed as ever so I don't think everyone went away. Who wants to even go on an expensive vacation during a pandemic?

Tickets to Greece all sold out so I guess plenty of people. It's very dumb.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I cant go out dancing at home but if I was rich enough I could travel abroad by plane and go clubbing there instead.

gently caress the government, gently caress the rich.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne posted:

We'll see what happens in september when general vacations are over and schools back up. If there's going to be a resurgence (big IF it's starting to feel like) then it's going to be around there.
Why do you think that's a big if? What has changed to make a resurgence unlikely?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why do you think that's a big if? What has changed to make a resurgence unlikely?

The only thing that would make Sweden’s corona strategy to not be an abject failure would be if the second wave hits Sweden less compared to other countries.
Although I don’t know if 5000 dead old people can count as a success in any case.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't see why we wouldn't have had a resurgence already too. Obviously something is up, but it's impossible to know what given our current information.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What's the deal with the income differences between the US and Sweden?

People in the US be like "No one can live on $45k a year!"

But 450.000 SEK is a pretty decent income here. On top of that Americans pay a lot less taxes and most stuff seems to be cheaper or cost the same? Where does all the money go?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

But 450.000 SEK is a pretty decent income here. On top of that Americans pay a lot less taxes and most stuff seems to be cheaper or cost the same? Where does all the money go?

Sweden is a country where you don’t see all the costs and benefits you have due to the tax system. Like arbetsgivaravgiften which is 30% on your salary or childcare which you pay 10% of the actual cost.
Americans as far as I understand pay enormous amounts for school, healthcare and insurance, where especially their healthcare is among the most expensive per capita without the same reach as in Eu countries.
I could wish for more transparency in how the Swedish tax money is used, but comparisons with a country like US is kinda hard to do.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Looking at the numbers for just America and Sweden, the take home pay after taxes for the average person is:

America: 67%
Sweden: 49%

So far America looking pretty good. But then you add child- and healthcare costs, which in total after various subsidies is something like:

America: 23% / 18% of average wage
Sweden: 5% / 1% of average wage

For a couple earning an average wage with 2 kids. Leaving the two at:

America: 47%
Sweden: 46%

And healthcare is only for insurance in the case of the US, while for Sweden it includes everything you're gonna pay for. Americans still have a Sword of Damocles hanging over them in terms of healthcare after paying for insurance, and then there's tuition and poo poo on top of it. The unpredictability of healthcare costs is probably the bigger issue though, hence the many bankruptcies from medical debt.

Also, those numbers assume average wages, which are higher than $45k/year. Couples in the age group that has kids who need childcare will have a larger portion of their wages being eaten up by child/healthcare because it's a fixed cost while their wages are lower on average. Though perhaps this is somewhat offset by higher sales taxes in Sweden.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking at the numbers for just America and Sweden, the take home pay after taxes for the average person is:

America: 67%
Sweden: 49%

So far America looking pretty good. But then you add child- and healthcare costs, which in total after various subsidies is something like:

America: 23% / 18% of average wage
Sweden: 5% / 1% of average wage

For a couple earning an average wage with 2 kids. Leaving the two at:

America: 47%
Sweden: 46%

And healthcare is only for insurance in the case of the US, while for Sweden it includes everything you're gonna pay for. Americans still have a Sword of Damocles hanging over them in terms of healthcare after paying for insurance, and then there's tuition and poo poo on top of it. The unpredictability of healthcare costs is probably the bigger issue though, hence the many bankruptcies from medical debt.

Also, those numbers assume average wages, which are higher than $45k/year. Couples in the age group that has kids who need childcare will have a larger portion of their wages being eaten up by child/healthcare because it's a fixed cost while their wages are lower on average. Though perhaps this is somewhat offset by higher sales taxes in Sweden.

And then the vacation system haven’t even been mentioned. Working with US companies during the summer is always interesting.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Visiting Americans in my experience are usually surprised to hear how "low" incomes in Northern Europe are, but then Americans who can afford to take a three week holiday to Europe probably aren't very representative. I think average (mean) incomes are a bit misleading in this case, and make it especially hard to compare a country with huge income inequality like the US with Nordic countries where the income distribution is relatively flat. The median income is maybe more useful, and there Sweden appears to be comparable to or slightly higher than the US depending on exactly what you're measuring: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income#Gross_median_household_income_by_country That isn't to contradict what others have said, though - that stuff where America is not really a functional society surely hugely increases the cost of what you'd like to consider a reasonable standard of living.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Katt posted:

All the things you need are more expensive there. Healthcare, childcare, insurance, etc.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

America has essentially privatised taxation, at least from a Nordic perspective. The official tax number may be lower, but the real number is probably higher, though you get to opt out of you don't need to live or something. Whereas in Scandinavia, only the rich get to opt out of paint taxes.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned student debt and such. I just paid off the rest of my Danish SU-lån, totalling 6000 dkk, down from 20.000... I'm 31 and debt free now...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So if you rarely get sick and have no kids, America seems optimal

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

It’s also missing that having a car is nearly mandatory (except in certain parts of large cities) and that auto insurance is fairly expensive, because they’ve priced in having to pay someone’s medical bills.

Also student loans in the states only cover tuition/books and not housing/living expenses unless you live on-campus, but that’s a minority of students at most universities.

And again that’s not touching the vacation situation.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zzulu posted:

So if you rarely get sick and have no kids, America seems optimal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usmvYOPfco&t=55s

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

Insofar as he was one of the people who founded CEPOS and is responsible for the cancer it unleashed into the heart of the Danish public debate, yes.

And he just kicked the bucket. I prefer to think of him as a brilliant composer, less so as an old white dude (and big-time landlord) with predictable old white dude political views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNhwNhOXsIk

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000