Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's also bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Chiming in to say it's really loving bad and a complete waste of time. I didn't mind the first episode but everything goes to hell for the Mecha-G episode. Just absolute trash.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The only really good parts of the anime honestly was the design concepts and artistic direction. I honestly really enjoyed Godzilla itself in the movie, including the stunning new way his beam attack was utilized.

It's really a shame that the whole film trilogy is just incredibly meh. It's really a shame especially since it came right off the heels of the amazing Shin Godzilla.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dedicated anime watchers have a much higher tolerance for boredom than your average human, hence a lack of hatred for anime godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, what little Godzilla there is in those movies are always the best things about those movies.

You could say the same about other Godzilla films, but this time you have the rest of the story being aggressively awful at you instead of whatever

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Yeah when I think about it it makes sense that Godzilla: Industrial Society and Its Future isn't a big crowd pleaser.

Every scene that isn't a mediocre fight scene is boring exposition. Have some self respect and watch movies with some craft.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Kaiju Mono. I can't recommend it.

The movie does have it's strong points. The fights are OK, and having a (clearly actual IRL) wrestling announcer prooviding play by play commentary is great. Some of the jokes are pretty good. I audibly chuckled at the soldiers deploying a massive pair of shorts for the guy to wear after he gets giant.

But for every joke I enjoyed, there were like five that got just zero response from me.

The movie is super low energy. Whenever a fight isn't happening it just draaaags.

What killed it for me, and I think is going to kill it for most western viewers, is the cameos. At first it's not a problem. I could tell that there were a lot of cameos. just from how memorable bit characters looked and how they're shown, I was like "clearly that's someone, and if I knew who it was I'd be like 'hey, it's that person!'". Whatever, it's only a problem in as such as the movie creators clearly thought that the viewer would be entertained by all these cameos and I don't recognize these people so there is significantly less entertainment value in this movie for me. It only becomes a big problem at the end. The entire climax of the movie is built around two major cameos. Just seeing these guys on screen is clearly supposed to be a big applause moment, I'm supposed to be whooping and hollering when these guys show up. But one I have no idea who the gently caress he is, and the other I actually do know who he is, they say his name, they say that he was in Ultraman, He's the guy from Ultraman who was also in UltraSeven, the least memorable member of the SSSP, I know this guy. But the problem is that that's not why he's famous in Japan. It turns out, he's most famous in Japan for his long running radio show. And his cameo is based entirely on his persona from his radio show. Where I guess he's like, a sex symbol to older women? That's what his cameo is based on, older women love this guy. The scientist announces that the monster is the equivalent to a 70 year old woman, Sandayu Dokumamushi pulls up, gives the main guy advice on how to treat older women, and that's it, movie complete. Regular listeners to TBS are rolling in the aisles from laughter, I am not.

So yeah, can't recommend Kaiju Mono. Unless you are a big fan of both Japanese wrestling and Japanese radio.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly part of the problem with the anime Godzilla is it's a trilogy? The protagonist's sole motivation is "I want to kill Godzilla!" and they're gonna do a big plan to kill Godzilla but you know they can't succeed, and that sort of futility would be allowable if the protagonist changed at all or learned anything, or if there were interesting sideplots, but no. The human and alien characters are way too thin to carry the screen time when the monsters aren't there.

Granted I still haven't gotten to the finale. But Part 2 was really demoralizing in that it was just the same arc as the first one all over again, albeit with a failed attempt at a Big Emotional Moment at the end. (And a "twist" that isn't really anything once you've seen like the poster art for the third movie.)

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 26, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Dedicated anime watchers have a much higher tolerance for boredom than your average human, hence a lack of hatred for anime godzilla.

No, I'm an anime watcher and I couldn't make it a quarter of the way through the first one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Every scene that isn't a mediocre fight scene is boring exposition. Have some self respect and watch movies with some craft.

Boring exposition owns. Sci-fi needs more boring exposition

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly part of the problem with the anime Godzilla is it's a trilogy? The protagonist's sole motivation is "I want to kill Godzilla!" and they're gonna do a big plan to kill Godzilla but you know they can't succeed, and that sort of futility would be allowable if the protagonist changed at all or learned anything, or if there were interesting sideplots, but no. The human and alien characters are way too thin to carry the screen time when the monsters aren't there.

Granted I still haven't gotten to the finale. But Part 2 was really demoralizing in that it was just the same arc as the first one all over again, albeit with a failed attempt at a Big Emotional Moment at the end. (And a "twist" that isn't really anything once you've seen like the poster art for the third movie.)

I won't comment on the third movie since you haven't seen it yet, but in the second movie the plan doesn't fail, the main guy rejects it. He is presented with an opportunity to kill Godzilla, but he rejects it because it's worse than Godzilla.

The main guy has an unshakable desire to kill Godzilla. His plan fails in the first movie, he rejects a different plan in the second one because it's worse than Godzilla, and then stuff happens in the third one and his arc is resolved in, IMO, a very satisfying, albeit quite grim, of course, manner.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Boring exposition owns. Sci-fi needs more boring exposition

I won't comment on the third movie since you haven't seen it yet, but in the second movie the plan doesn't fail, the main guy rejects it. He is presented with an opportunity to kill Godzilla, but he rejects it because it's worse than Godzilla.

The main guy has an unshakable desire to kill Godzilla. His plan fails in the first movie, he rejects a different plan in the second one because it's worse than Godzilla, and then stuff happens in the third one and his arc is resolved in, IMO, a very satisfying, albeit quite grim, of course, manner.

I mean that's the problem, if he only changes in the last movie that's two movies of him just Wile E. Coyote-ing himself but played without irony or comedy. If his whole arc is "wants to kill Godzilla, realizes that he can't and doing so would make things even worse for what's left of humanity"... you can do that in like 90 minutes. If the only interesting change happens in the final act then you have a problem with your first two acts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean that's the problem, if he only changes in the last movie that's two movies of him just Wile E. Coyote-ing himself but played without irony or comedy. If his whole arc is "wants to kill Godzilla, realizes that he can't and doing so would make things even worse for what's left of humanity"... you can do that in like 90 minutes. If the only interesting change happens in the final act then you have a problem with your first two acts.

Oh no, he doesn't change in the third movie. I probably shouldn't have said arc, it really is a straight line. But in the course of the trilogy he realizes what the actual limits are, what he can't do and what he's unwilling to do.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Oh no, he doesn't change in the third movie. I probably shouldn't have said arc, it really is a straight line. But in the course of the trilogy he realizes what the actual limits are, what he can't do and what he's unwilling to do.

Yeah trust us, that dumbass doesn't ever improve or change.

he does leave his pregnant wife behind to raise their kid by herself to deal with a non problem that wouldn't be a thing for loving decades though, because he is the worst possible person

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Burkion posted:

Yeah trust us, that dumbass doesn't ever improve or change.

he does leave his pregnant wife behind to raise their kid by herself to deal with a non problem that wouldn't be a thing for loving decades though, because he is the worst possible person

The whole thing is that he still wants to kill Godzilla. He still hates Godzilla. But he knows that he can't kill Godzilla with his own power, he knows that the technology to destroy Godzilla would transform humanity into something worse, and he knows the monster that could kill Godzilla is an unthinkable god from another dimension and to embrace it would be to become a hosed up death worshiping monster. He loves humanity too much to take the steps necessary to kill Godzilla, but he hates Godzilla too much to live in Godzilla's world.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm loving tired of this anime talk.

I want to hear everyones take on the animated series from 1998 and the other from 1978.

And more importanly why do we get a Godzilla animated show every 20 years?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Just Offscreen posted:

I'm loving tired of this anime talk.

I want to hear everyones take on the animated series from 1998 and the other from 1978.

And more importanly why do we get a Godzilla animated show every 20 years?

1978 is amazing for all the Hanna Barbera reasons it could be.

1998 is an updated take on the Hanna Barbera show, no seriously just take a look at how its structured, that has some neat and fun episodes but a lot of chaff no one remembers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whatever human who wants to kill Godzilla is the bad guy

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The anime has incredibly creative alien races. Space elves and space dwarves.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here's a godzilla I painted on commission last week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Whatever human who wants to kill Godzilla is the bad guy

The guy from Half Century War is the good guy who very much tries to kill Godzilla.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:swoon:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The guy from Half Century War is the good guy who very much tries to kill Godzilla.

To be fair he only really gets one good shot at it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Gatos I think this book will be RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY.

https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/li...MK34yTAcJ0i_2QQ

quote:

Lights, Kaiju, Action... DESTROY – ‘The Art of Sofubi’ + A Big, Big Announcement
Sofubi – “sofuto bineeru” (ソフトビニール) – are the otherworldly, jarring, often-disgusting/always-lovable soft vinyl Japanese toys that have captivated collectors all over the world. Two of our resident sofubi spelunkers – Spencer Hickman from Mondo Music and Michael Bonanno from Mondo Collectibles – are teaming up with photographer Robert Howell to explore unbelievable collections and rarities for next year’s Mondo Books release The Art of Sofubi.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Gatos I think this book will be RIGHT UP YOUR ALLEY.

https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/li...MK34yTAcJ0i_2QQ

Dang, nice!

You can see more of the ones I painted on my IG Kaiju_Sommelier and my own sofubi figure of my cat as a witch at CatMagicToys

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

UmOk posted:

The anime has incredibly creative alien races. Space elves and space dwarves.

Warhammer 40k did it first.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's not that it's anime, it's that Urobuchi Gen is kind of a hack.

He gained a lot of positive word of mouth after Madoka (which is great, but it's the animation that carries it far more than his script) and subsequently got to work on a ton of higher-profile projects. Unfortunately, when you leave the man to his own devices what you usually get is mountains of exposition and completely uninspired sci-fi world-building.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Madoka also had like actually significantly better writing and character interaction than anything else he's worked on, so I have to assume it was either an accident or the result of other talented people who were overlooked in the nerd zeitgeist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Madoka also had like actually significantly better writing and character interaction than anything else he's worked on, so I have to assume it was either an accident or the result of other talented people who were overlooked in the nerd zeitgeist.

Also Fate Zero is hailed as one of his achievements, which presumably had similar extra help

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly it, Fate Zero, has all of the same problems as his other crappier works, but people like it for reasons that are beyond me.

The only real difference is that UFOtable can animate with cgi well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly it, Fate Zero, has all of the same problems as his other crappier works, but people like it for reasons that are beyond me.

Also like Madoka, it's got some amazing animated sequences.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ah, the good ol' days of early film making

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, the good ol' days of early film making

Ah yes, 1995.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Got my way earlier-than-expected shipping notice for the Gamera Complete Collection today! :dance:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/SamTheGiganfan/status/1288641867043631104?s=19

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You're all way more into Godzilla than I could ever be, but I'm gonna share this anyway because I'm happy with how it turned out and think I might have more kaiju art-like material in me:

Trabant posted:

Raaaaarrr:

It's a lino print! Could've been printed better! Still, I'll take it.

Depicted is the 1964 version of Godzilla attacking Austin (TX), specifically the dirty sixth street area downtown. As I posted in another thread, I have zero idea why I wanted to make a print of that in particular, but... here we are.

Violator
May 15, 2003

That’s really neat, thanks for sharing. You did a great job. It’s been almost two decades since I’ve done any prints like that, but I know it’s a process to make that kind of art. I bet it was fun.

Edit: I think that size Godzilla is more charming than the 200 ft modern versions. Let’s you appreciate what he’s destroying more and makes it feel like more of a local menace. Good choice!

Violator fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 1, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Trabant posted:

You're all way more into Godzilla than I could ever be, but I'm gonna share this anyway because I'm happy with how it turned out and think I might have more kaiju art-like material in me:
NICE!!! Would love to have something like that on my wall.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Trabant posted:

That's really neat, would've loved to have had that taped to my sketchbook in high school art class.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks all, glad you liked it!

Violator posted:

Edit: I think that size Godzilla is more charming than the 200 ft modern versions. Let’s you appreciate what he’s destroying more and makes it feel like more of a local menace. Good choice!

Agreed, I think the smaller sizes are the only ones that made sense for this setting. I intentionally picked The Ritz -- one of the locations of the Alamo Drafthouse theaters -- and that small stretch of town is devoid of tall buildings so the '64 version (my favourite for :iiam: reasons) became the go-to choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
if August Ragone pronounces it "nucular" on this Gamera Blu-ray commentary track one more time I'm gonna crack