Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

From a while back, but this was an incredibly fascinating watch. Thanks!

Also the guy who made this video was hired as AI consultant on Deathground ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jawdropgames/deathground ) saying it's a kind of Alien: Isolation kind of dinosaur survival horror game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Finished A Plague Tale: Innocence (~8 hours). The rat parts are great but the stealth parts can be a little boring and a bit too long. The game is definitely trying to be a budget The Last of Us without guns (it even has workbenches where you can upgrade your gear that look like they are being lit by an invisible fluorescent light). The lower budget shows in areas: character animations, especially faces, look bad, and it’s basically one enemy model per “type” (no-armor, light armor, archer, etc) so expect to see 4 identical guys standing right next to each other. Also there is a dodge mechanic that’s really only used for a single boss fight.

Seeing thousands of rats on screen with no slowdown is pretty cool though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What do people ITT think of Alien: Isolation? To me, it seems like the ultimate predator vs prey simulation. I also really loved the Alien/Aliens movies, so I figure it should be a must-buy for me whenever I get the chance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it’s cool but about 4 hours too long. Also the game practically calls you a widdle baby if you don’t play on Hard but that just makes the Alien more predictable and less scary when he does show up so imho play on Normal.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I disliked the door opening Minigames.

I liked the rest well enough

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After the prologue, how do I Pathologic 2?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What do people ITT think of Alien: Isolation? To me, it seems like the ultimate predator vs prey simulation. I also really loved the Alien/Aliens movies, so I figure it should be a must-buy for me whenever I get the chance.

My only complaint is that it overstays it’s welcome. But I absolutely adore the aesthetic and the nice satisfying retro UI.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

After the prologue, how do I Pathologic 2?

unsuccessfully!

try to procure a knife as soon as possible and keep it well-maintained, guns are largely a waste of resources. little kids are the best trading partners, so stay stocked up on nuts and needles for them. check every trashcan. remember the locations of water barrels if possible. when the Fund becomes available, do your best to max it out every day. savescumming is encouraged, death and failure are inevitable

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oxxidation posted:

unsuccessfully!

try to procure a knife as soon as possible and keep it well-maintained, guns are largely a waste of resources. little kids are the best trading partners, so stay stocked up on nuts and needles for them. check every trashcan. remember the locations of water barrels if possible. when the Fund becomes available, do your best to max it out every day. savescumming is encouraged, death and failure are inevitable

This sounds like that week I spent broke in Galway.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's a good stealth em up horror game on its own, and if you're a fan of the first movie, a mindblowingly great game. The writing is forgettable, but the atmosphere/sense of place is truly special.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Carrion is an insanely fun game so far.

Not an empty quote

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I remember playing Isolation a long time ago but only the beginning.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt it take quite long before they even introduce free roaming Alien?

I remember playing hours until I met the thing and I just kept dying over and over so I took a break but never felt like giving it another shot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt it take quite long before they even introduce free roaming Alien?

I remember playing hours until I met the thing and I just kept dying over and over so I took a break but never felt like giving it another shot.

the first free-roaming encounter with the Alien (in the medical wing) is by far the hardest and a pretty nasty roadblock

after that you get a few tools to fend it off and the difficulty curve levels out substantially

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I personally feel like Isolation is perhaps one of the best Aliens games in general, but agree that it is an extremely long game. Granted I played quite slowly and thoroughly, but I think I had like 20 hours in a single run.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Probably more like 26 hours, it's the average for beating the main story. But yeah, it's generally agreed that Aliens: Isolation is about ten hours longer than it really needed to be. There is a perfectly fine ending point for the story somewhere mid-game and you would have expected it to end there - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - but then the game just keeps going, and going, and going, long past the point where many players ran out of patience with the game.

Alien Isolation was great, but it really didn't know when to stop.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Remember your growl will cause the save points to ping.
I found the exploration flow really nudges you in the correct direction for progress usually, I only got turned around a couple of times. I kept missing doors to change areas since they kind of look like the rest of the background a bit.

I think the no map issue usually only happens when you are switching between areas, and you need to remember where you need to go.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WaltherFeng posted:

Actually, the first Alien encounter can be right at the beginning of the game, when you're following that dude around the station in the Tutorial phase of the game and he dies you have to run for the tram and in the tension you wait wondering if the Alien is going to come and get you. Well, it never does... unless you wait around WAY too long after the tram arrives and the doors open. Kinda neat that it can actually show up there and kill you.

But on a normal playthrough, yeah, you probably won't see the Alien for the first 45 minutes to an hour of gameplay, it's kinda a ways off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardiovorax posted:

Probably more like 26 hours, it's the average for beating the main story. But yeah, it's generally agreed that Aliens: Isolation is about ten hours longer than it really needed to be. There is a perfectly fine ending point for the story somewhere mid-game and you would have expected it to end there - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - but then the game just keeps going, and going, and going, long past the point where many players ran out of patience with the game.

Alien Isolation was great, but it really didn't know when to stop.

I was about to say, as slowly as I play games, I would have been surprised if I was actually below the average for Isolation. Turns out I have 32 hours in the game, including a few from the DLC/mini-game—so let’s call it 30.

30 hours for a single, slow play through. Granted I got 88% of the achievements in that sole run, so :getin:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

No Man’s Sky added explorable derelicts recently, they require a lot of time to get to from a new game, and there’s not a hell of a lot to actually playing them, but in look / feel they’re a great A:I / Dead Space homage.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm playing A Machine for Pigs which I'm enjoying more than most as I have zero nostalgia for Amnesia, but it's really obvious that thechineseroom weren't equipped to properly handle an adventure game. Frictional always clues the player in to what their goal is but here you are rarely given any direction without looking at your journal and then the goals make no sense in context of your actions. Maybe they wanted a disconnect between the player and player character but it's really annoying that I have to jump to the journal every time the icon appears because otherwise you're groping in the dark until you find the interactable object the game wants you to push.

Man, Soma was so good about this lol. The only time I got stuck in that game was when you had to recreate someone's memories to interrogate them and I don't even remember what my hold up was, I think I was just hesitating to do something really obvious and the game wouldn't proceed without it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I also got stuck on that bit.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

al-azad posted:

I'm playing A Machine for Pigs which I'm enjoying more than most as I have zero nostalgia for Amnesia, but it's really obvious that thechineseroom weren't equipped to properly handle an adventure game. Frictional always clues the player in to what their goal is but here you are rarely given any direction without looking at your journal and then the goals make no sense in context of your actions. Maybe they wanted a disconnect between the player and player character but it's really annoying that I have to jump to the journal every time the icon appears because otherwise you're groping in the dark until you find the interactable object the game wants you to push.

I liked it too, probably because I only remember the very beginning and the very end.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basic Chunnel posted:

No Man’s Sky added explorable derelicts recently, they require a lot of time to get to from a new game, and there’s not a hell of a lot to actually playing them, but in look / feel they’re a great A:I / Dead Space homage.

Hah, so it's like everything in no man's sky where it's there and it would be cool but it's not really anything of substance?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NMS got pretty good a while ago now.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nah, that post is spot on about NMS. I dunno about the derelicts specifically but it's the only game that gave me the option to build a mech that then made me go "okay but why bother". Like it's really good at being an alien vista simulator but nothing about it has any mechanical weight or consequence.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 28, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pulcinella posted:

Finished A Plague Tale: Innocence (~8 hours). The rat parts are great but the stealth parts can be a little boring and a bit too long. The game is definitely trying to be a budget The Last of Us without guns (it even has workbenches where you can upgrade your gear that look like they are being lit by an invisible fluorescent light). The lower budget shows in areas: character animations, especially faces, look bad, and it’s basically one enemy model per “type” (no-armor, light armor, archer, etc) so expect to see 4 identical guys standing right next to each other. Also there is a dodge mechanic that’s really only used for a single boss fight.

I thought the general atmosphere of bleak unpleasantness given the setting worked really well, and the horror of the characters at what they had to at times. Some bits definitely dragged though like you say, but for me the setting and atmosphere made it worthwhile.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TGLT posted:

Nah, that post is spot on about NMS. I dunno about the derelicts specifically but it's the only game that gave me the option to build a mech that then made me go "okay but why bother". Like it's really good at being an alien vista simulator but nothing about it has any mechanical weight or consequence.

I mean, that's the post-Minecraft survival genre in a nutshell. Why do anything that isn't the critical path? Because it's there. That gels with a lot of people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I thought the general atmosphere of bleak unpleasantness given the setting worked really well, and the horror of the characters at what they had to at times. Some bits definitely dragged though like you say, but for me the setting and atmosphere made it worthwhile.

It had that videogamey problem where the main character kills a man, and she's all 'oh god what have I done' and then the rest of the game is just her murdering scores of other people with absolutely no remorse.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

al-azad posted:

I mean, that's the post-Minecraft survival genre in a nutshell. Why do anything that isn't the critical path? Because it's there. That gels with a lot of people.

I like NMS and still play it, but yeah it has a real problem where they've introduced a lot of new features with absolutely no reason to use them. Exocrafts in general are useless, the mechs especially so, and the derelicts are just there to find upgrades for your capital ship. Farming is useless. Building a base at all is useless because going to other planets is trivial and necessary. Learning the languages has no use.

The icing on the cake is that the overarching theme of the critical path is "this doesn't matter, nothing you do here matters, this is just a video game."

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I just recently got an index, and I've been playing through Half Life Alyx. I gotta say, the dark sections of that game are some of the best horror I've ever played. God drat it's so good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Pulcinella posted:

I bought this awhile ago but still haven't gotten past the first hour or so. I love the setting, I need to finish it someday. I legitimately wish most games were way shorter lately.

Master Twig posted:

I just recently got an index, and I've been playing through Half Life Alyx. I gotta say, the dark sections of that game are some of the best horror I've ever played. God drat it's so good.
drat headcrabs. This brought back some of the feeling of playing through Half-Life 2 for the first time. If VR ever fully fixes the comfort problems and doesn't cost $1000000 dollars there's going to be some amazing horror games. I have the Vive Cosmos which apparently isn't the greatest one and has some tracking issues, so that might be part of it, I can only play like 20-30 minutes at a time so I'm still not very close to the end.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

al-azad posted:

It's not that though. The mech mines things faster than by hand. Except you can spend 20 minutes grabbing relics to sell for millions and now instead of spending time hand mining you can just drop by a market hub to buy whatever resource you want instantly for super cheap. Or I can set up an activated indium drill and have a gajillion credits whenever I feel like offloading it. Like if I want shitloads of resources in ARK, I need specific dinos that may need specific things to make taming them not a total nightmare so I need other dinos for that. And I want those resources so I can mass produce shittons of bullets or metal structures or whatever so another god drat T-Rex doesn't break my poo poo. The only other reason to grab a mech as far as I can tell is to fight walkers for walker brains, which you either use for the conflict scanner or frigate mission bonuses. But space combat is incredibly easy so you it doesn't matter if a system is high conflict or not, and frigate missions provide resources and cash which see above. And if you have a living ship then you can't even use the conflict scanner so you're just left with frigate mission stuff.

And that's kind of everything in NMS. Seeing what the derelicts provide, it's a bunch of freighter upgrades. And what do you get out of it? Frigate mission upgrades, which are useless because see above, and hyperdrive boosters which eh. edit: It's issue is that the mechanical impetus for engaging with its systems is to make combat easier or to get resources, except combat is easy from the start and it takes basically no effort to eradicate resource scarcity. In the end you really just engage with the systems to enjoy the new environments until you notice them repeating.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

You're not wrong, but NMS is notably bad about pulling it off. I can't even quite articulate why it's so much less fun than it really should be, because it really is a very big game full of content these days. It just doesn't come together.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I like NMS and still play it, but yeah it has a real problem where they've introduced a lot of new features with absolutely no reason to use them. Exocrafts in general are useless, the mechs especially so, and the derelicts are just there to find upgrades for your capital ship. Farming is useless. Building a base at all is useless because going to other planets is trivial and necessary. Learning the languages has no use.
And maybe this is why. You can do a lot of things, but most of them don't really have any particular benefit. I'm the kind of person who can play Factorio and enjoy it, and that game is literally nothing but setting up complicated production circuits for the sake of making them, so it's really not that the style of game just doesn't appeal to me. It should be fun. It just somehow isn't.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sounds like NMS would be a really cool space exploration game if it had a focused single player campaign with some sort of end goal

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It would be a cool space exploration game even just if the crafting and building was more involved than it is. Like, I would love this game if all there was to it was Literally Just Space Minecraft, but it's just not as fun to make blocky huts out of prefab bits as it is to build blocky out of little cubes of landscape that you have to painstakingly chisel away yourself. Astroneer is, in a lot of ways, the same basic concept, but it hit all my 'mine and build to satisfy this tiny lego mans' brain bugs where NMS didn't.

The big problem with NMS is that it has so many systems, but basically all of them feel perfunctory and hollow, because everything happens in a vacuum where you do everything just for the sake of doing it and it affects hardly anything around itself. It's like a cargo cult game: it understands that people like all these things, but it has no idea why.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The setting is inherently flawed to the kind of game people wanted it to be because I don't know how you make stationary base building meaningful in a game where you're forever traveling. Maybe the design conceit for NMS should've been a solar system at a realistic scale that way it's still feasible that even theoretically 100 million players would rarely bump into each other but the design goal of NMS from the very beginning was "discover alien worlds" and that defeats the purpose.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I mean, it's very clearly designed not to privilege any single way of playing the game. You could warp to star systems with all the different economy types and exploit the simplified supply/demand price indexes to gain millions of credits, or you could hunt space pirates, or you could go around building base networks on different planets, or a megastructure on one planet or learn languages, or taxonomize the ecosystems, or just fly around space and enjoy the seamless, bombastic atmosphere entry / exit, or mine asteroids until you find the beacon coordinates to weird rear end megastructures in space, or feed alien stegosaurs and then ride them around aimlessly. Or spend a whole day on a single planet running down whatever random distress signals and abandoned structures populate it. Find beat-up starships and fix them up or sell them, build tacticool laser guns, etc etc etc.

The game is designed so that there is, generally speaking, very little barrier to doing any of these, and no real obligation to pay attention to any one of them. The basic required building materials you need to do any given thing are all universally available. The economy is broken because it's not meant to be mastered as a matter of course, you don't have to deal with it if you don't want to... and for a lot of people, if you don't have to do something, it's not important, and if it's not important it's useless. But NMS more or less the most fully realized sandbox ever developed in a game.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 28, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honestly if I was 20 years younger No Man's Sky would be my favorite video game in the same way Legend of Mana was my favorite video game in 2000, it also being a title with a dozen unimportant mechanisms that I just enjoyed messing with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

But NMS more or less the most fully realized sandbox ever developed in a game.
In the sense that any given pile of sand is essentially indistinguishable from every other pile of sand and that the only fun is what you come up with yourself, this is completely true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You've definitely grasped the purpose of a sandbox