Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chard posted:

buffs are stretchy, thin polyester(?) sheaths that can go over basically your whole head and neck, depending on how your wear them. they make fuzzy winter ones but that's not what most people are referring to

https://www.buff.com/

Well that's interesting. And pretty cheap too. $15 for a headband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Buffs own. I use mine as a face mask during 'rona and as a balaclava when skiing. Super versatile

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Agreed that buffs own. I never go hiking without one if there is even moderate sun exposure. I burn easy and it's comfortable.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I think I'm going to order one right now. I was thinking the headband one but it looks like you can just fold the larger one as small as you want.

We'll see how this works out. Thanks guys!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How do I get the motivation to wake up early and hike on a weekday?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

For the Bitterroot locals we got in here: what's the story with Ajax Lake? I saw a picture of it recently and was poking around on google maps, and some dang fool built a road up there that goes to 9000 feet. Obviously an old mining operation, which more googling confirms, so I'm more curious about the conditions of the area. I have no illusions one can drive up there because I bet the road has been unmaintained for 40 years but it sounds like there's good camping along the way too?

Checking out summitpost and it says there is good camping along the road

https://www.summitpost.org/ajax-peak/153660#chapter_6

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Just dont sleep the previous day! That's how I ended up summiting the AT a day early because "well my body has made it so I can't sleep like its christmas eve so I might as well night hike in and do the drat thing"

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I just finished my week hitch at ~9400 feet or so.

I dont have many pretty pictures like I love this thread for, but I call this one "this is why we roll the windows up, Chris."

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just dont sleep the previous day! That's how I ended up summiting the AT a day early because "well my body has made it so I can't sleep like its christmas eve so I might as well night hike in and do the drat thing"

But see, I'm gonna wake up in a cozy bed and still have to work when I get back from the trail.

When I'm backpacking waking up early isn't a problem. The problem is being an adult with a toddler and responsibilities.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

But see, I'm gonna wake up in a cozy bed and still have to work when I get back from the trail.

When I'm backpacking waking up early isn't a problem. The problem is being an adult with a toddler and responsibilities.

Is sleeping in your car at the trailhead feasible? Solves the cozy bed problem, plus less driving and more hiking time in the morning. I assume not because toddler, but a strategy to ponder.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Slimy Hog posted:

Breaking a task into parts helps with motivation:

Commit to doing it the night before (tell someone what you are planning to do, like a loved one or even just these forums).

Finish any planning. Lay out your outfit and gear the night before. Set a music alarm, coffee maker, etc.

Wake up, get out of bed and jump right into your clothes. Get yourself out the door as soon as possible. Once you're on the road, reward yourself by having breakfast (a trail bar at the very least).

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kaal posted:

Breaking a task into parts helps with motivation:

Commit to doing it the night before (tell someone what you are planning to do, like a loved one or even just these forums).

Finish any planning. Lay out your outfit and gear the night before. Set a music alarm, coffee maker, etc.

Wake up, get out of bed and jump right into your clothes. Get yourself out the door as soon as possible. Once you're on the road, reward yourself by having breakfast (a trail bar at the very least).

These are all good ideas, thanks!

I can't go out this week because I'm on-call for work, but I'll give this a shot next week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Motivation is just the energy to plan a thing, discipline is what gets it done. :v:

When that alarm goes off, ignore the inner debate whether you're going to Do A Thing, ignore that you're groggy, ignore the cloud cover, ignore anything on the internet, just go do Thing. All those distractions disappear on the first step you take on the trail.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

xzzy posted:

Motivation is just the energy to plan a thing, discipline is what gets it done. :v:

When that alarm goes off, ignore the inner debate whether you're going to Do A Thing, ignore that you're groggy, ignore the cloud cover, ignore anything on the internet, just go do Thing. All those distractions disappear on the first step you take on the trail.

Totally. Maintaining focus on a task is a huge part of actually getting it done. Avoiding potential pitfalls like spending an hour watching TV or browsing the internet can be really useful. And even if there's a little imperfection, if you set yourself up for success then you are likely to follow through.

So make your bed, put your shoes on, and get your butt outside. That way if you're browsing the forums for 20 minutes while you eat your oatmeal on your front steps and wake up, you're still feeling productive and committed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll admit this is my struggle as well. I love sleep and I love sleeping in. I go to bed late most nights. Sometimes I plan things but I also enjoy spontaneity. I've backed out of a lot of things because I didn't plan enough. I can go with the flow but I also don't like when things meander too much due to poor planning. Lately I've told myself, "so what if its noon and your friends are busy, it stays light until 930pm, hike solo" and its been very rewarding.

The thing I do to help is setting up everything the night before. Gassing up the car, filling my water bladder and putting it into my backpack. Getting my pack filled with whats needed like food, first aid, gadgets, trail specific tools like crampons or ice axe, setting my outfit/shoes/socks all near one another. I want to make leaving as easy as possible. Get dressed, grab my pack and go. I'll almost always just grab food on the way.

Planning with friends becomes a little more frustrating especially if your friends aren't well organized.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
For me the single most important thing if I plan to get up and run/hike/bike/etc early is to go to sleep early. If I wake up and I'm still really tired, the urge to just punch the alarm and roll back over is strong. If I'm actually awake, then I will always get up and go do what I had planned.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just takes commitment and willpower honestly. Get all your poo poo ready the night before so that you can wake up, throw on your clothes, grab your pack, and go. This is how I manage to wake up at 4:15am on a Saturday to drive 90 minutes to a trailhead to beat the heat for my big day hikes.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Um I'm a bit taken aback here.. I absolutely need to wake up an hour before I leave the house to drink a coffee and take a dump. I can't imagine leaving for a pre-dawn bike ride or day hike without taking a good poo poo first.

MONSTERS!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Math You posted:

Um I'm a bit taken aback here.. I absolutely need to wake up an hour before I leave the house to drink a coffee and take a dump. I can't imagine leaving for a pre-dawn bike ride or day hike without taking a good poo poo first.

MONSTERS!

Saaaaame. Gotta get a nice dump and shower in or my whole day is out of whack.

I’ll skip the shower in the field but if I wake up at home I’m using that shower

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Math You posted:

MONSTERS!

I'm a routine afternoon customer. I always try going before but I almost always end up having to go on the trail or in a restroom on the way.

Sometimes I don't go at all but it's a running joke that nature inspires my bowels.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

khysanth posted:

Just takes commitment and willpower honestly. Get all your poo poo ready the night before so that you can wake up, throw on your clothes, grab your pack, and go. This is how I manage to wake up at 4:15am on a Saturday to drive 90 minutes to a trailhead to beat the heat for my big day hikes.

Man I'm waking up at 3 to drive three hours for some of my hikes. At this point I might as well just camp at the trailhead.

I'm also a random pooper. Could be the morning before I go, could be on the trail, could be both, could be neither

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I feel zero need to poo until about five minutes after I start walking. Workin' them glutes works the doody out.

So I park far from the trailhead or do a couple laps while the wife is getting ready to make sure there's no surprises.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Man I'm waking up at 3 to drive three hours for some of my hikes. At this point I might as well just camp at the trailhead.

I'm also a random pooper. Could be the morning before I go, could be on the trail, could be both, could be neither

More than 2 hours and small change drive is enough for me to sleep at the trailhead. I've done some 3+ hour drives to hikes and it always sucks, I show up and my lower back is sore and my gut is hyped up on all the coffee I drank for the drive. I have a Subaru Outback so it's easy for me to fold down the seats and have plenty of room to sleep in the car, it's easy and it works great.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hiking & Backpacking Megathread II:

xzzy posted:

Workin' them glutes works the doody out.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I don't know how freaky or unusual this is but I rarely wake up with a desire to eat breakfast, in fact my stomach seems vacuumed shut, and it comes with the consequences of an empty stomach such as low energy. This is an absolute nightmare when I have to step up to the plate at 5am and get moving.

My slow rear end morning self probably needs 2hrs upon waking up to become a normal person because I am a weenie by nature. I still force myself to do cool stuff though!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

embrace fiber supplements, and find true regularity

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I don't know how freaky or unusual this is but I rarely wake up with a desire to eat breakfast, in fact my stomach seems vacuumed shut, and it comes with the consequences of an empty stomach such as low energy. This is an absolute nightmare when I have to step up to the plate at 5am and get moving.

My slow rear end morning self probably needs 2hrs upon waking up to become a normal person because I am a weenie by nature. I still force myself to do cool stuff though!

I'm the same way in the morning. I have to force myself to eat something and then feel a lot more awake. Fruit is good for this because it's easy to just eat a little plum or an apple and peanut butter or something.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same. I don't usually wake up hungry and I rarely eat breakfast but I've learned to try and easy something, a piece of fruit or oatmeal or pick up something on the way. Starting empty is tough.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Morning hikes call for smoothie time.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Hey y'all, any objections to moving this thread to The Great Outdoors? Seems like it'd be a better fit there.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Shine posted:

Hey y'all, any objections to moving this thread to The Great Outdoors? Seems like it'd be a better fit there.

No objection here. I just get to this from bookmarks, and I'm all for trying to keep the new subforum alive.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Agreed, this has been my feeling for a while. Having the biggest hiking megathread in the outdoors section makes sense to me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Alrighty, welcome to the new forum!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What all do you guys bring for medical supplies on a longer hike? Obviously, how much you need depends on your time away from civilization, but what are the most important items?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nitrousoxide posted:

What all do you guys bring for medical supplies on a longer hike? Obviously, how much you need depends on your time away from civilization, but what are the most important items?

Most important for me: triangular bandages and SAM splints. A communication device and emergency numbers. Epinephrine injectors for those with allergies.

Because I am in the field for work and am responsible for party members I carry a full sized workplace first aid kit but add many extra triangular bandages (I think I carry 6) and one or two splints. Trekking poles also work for splints.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Andrew Skurka has a good recommendation for what to bring in a FAK https://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-first-aid-kit-gear-list-downloadable-checklist/

I think a lot of people overpack first aid kits. Realistically there are two kinds of backcountry medical situations - minor ones like a badly scraped knee that can be solved with a bandaid or other relatively basic stuff, or major injuries where you will require a rescue and it's just a matter of keeping the patient alive and as comfortable as possible until it arrives.

Especially when you look at what actually kills people in the outdoors, a little extra warm clothes and/or a better emergency bivvy system is pretty much the best first aid kit you can bring, along with a communications device like an Inreach. People talk about SAM splints and tourniquets but a bajillion times more people die from hypothermia than arterial bleeds.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 27, 2020

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Medical supplies in decreasing order of importance:

-lots of tape (most important thing, capable of solving literally every problem)
-blister patches
-tick remover (if applicable)
-a few bandages and some gauze (don't go crazy just a small qty of basics is OK)
-splint (though these can often be improvised from other equipment)
-tourniquet (lol)
-hemostatic bandage (lmao, and watch out for charlie)

Drugs in decreasing order of importance:

-ibuprofen
-loperamide (has singularly salvaged more otherwise ruined trips than anything on this list)
-allergy meds (importance and type obviously dependent on your allergies)
-dexamethosone (if high altitude--in case of emergency descent)
-nifedipine (if high altitude--in case of emergency descent)
-acetazolamide (if high altitude--in case you know you have problems with AMS and this helps on ascent)

If you have the first few items from those lists you're probably fine.

More important than any of that is to:

-Have some sufficiently warm clothes/shelter for an unplanned overnight
-Give someone trusted details of your plans and try to stick to them
-Have a partner or a way to call for help

For 99.9% of even the most serious injuries you are likely to encounter, you can throw your medkit away and be just fine as long as you are able to keep the injured person warm and hydrated for a long time. Oh the other hand, if you can't do that, the particular assortment of bandages you packed is irrelevant. You should always attempt to self rescue if it's safe and you are able...but realistically no items in your first aid kit beyond the very basics will make or break your ability to do that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thirty pills of immodium rolled up in a single band-aid

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Chard posted:

thirty pills of immodium rolled up in a single band-aid

you could do a lot worse lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Thanks, these are helpful.

I'm an amateur radio operator so I have access to some pretty effective radios that I always bring out with me. So I'm not super concerned about not being able to contact people. It's definitely bulkier and heavier than handheld satellite communicator though.

I hadn't thought about some of those dual uses for the drugs or doubling up on NSAIDs and Tylenol if needed. Those are good suggestions.

It's obviously pretty unbearably hot right now but I'll definitely make sure to include some additional cold weather gear as necessary when it gets cooler.