Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Make a gimmick DnD podcast where the players never stop investigating the first room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

sticklefifer posted:

Do they play up the kenku mimicry, or just talk like normal? I've had to play a kenku before where I could only say things my character could've reasonably heard somewhere else, and the DM would routinely call on me to justify what I said.

There’s a Rude Tales Of Magic episode you’re going to love

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Pigbuster posted:

Make a gimmick DnD podcast where the players never stop investigating the first room.

Advertise it as an Actual Play of one of those "world's biggest dungeon" boxed sets.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't that literally just Magic Tavern?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Pigbuster posted:

Overly Cautious D&D Party Still in Starting Tavern After 10 Sessions

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

inferis posted:

i don’t listen to dnd podcasts but i would if they were exclusively torturing the dm

One of the funniest moments from Balance was Justin completely trolling Griffin by following the rules implications of the Slicer of T'pir Weir Isles. Griffin's "Oh My God" when he realizes what's happening is classic.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

inferis posted:

i don’t listen to dnd podcasts but i would if they were exclusively torturing the dm

That's Dragon Friends.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Plan Z posted:

You can almost hear Matt want to just lose it in frustration as the crew spends upwards of twenty minutes inspecting rooms when it's clear that he's trying to give them the message that there's nothing to be looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg7AfMQ_J5Y&t=296s
4:56 if the timecode stamp doesn't work

I've never heard Matt get frustrated outside of the players trying to haggle skill checks too aggressively or spending too long talking to each other. As far as DMs go, he has a remarkable amount of patience and doesn't seem to mind the players getting lost in areas that shouldn't be confusing, or obsessing over details that don't matter. That's just D&D. Listening to Rude Tales of Magic has made me really appreciate edited D&D podcasts though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rude Tales is kind of the inverse in that it's a show about a DM torturing his players - the show almost borders on being, like, improv PvP

Like when they try to speak to a newborn bear-owl and it just is screaming I KNOW ABOUT loving, I WAS BORN KNOWING, WHOSE CUM AM I MADE OF or when they're exploring a basement and a human-sized rat in a diaper suddenly appears to sing a rehearsed song about not being potty trained as a player how do you even come back from that

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Repo Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg7AfMQ_J5Y&t=296s
4:56 if the timecode stamp doesn't work

I've never heard Matt get frustrated outside of the players trying to haggle skill checks too aggressively or spending too long talking to each other. As far as DMs go, he has a remarkable amount of patience and doesn't seem to mind the players getting lost in areas that shouldn't be confusing, or obsessing over details that don't matter. That's just D&D. Listening to Rude Tales of Magic has made me really appreciate edited D&D podcasts though.

I was exaggerating, but there was a spot in the recent episode where the players are desperately trying to find clues in this room, and it's clear that he has nothing for them, but they keep pressing to the point where it seems like he makes up a clue on the spot to get things moving.

I'm probably just burning myself out. I listen to 12 straight hours of podcasts and audiobooks on my shifts, and I don't think people are supposed to blow through up to 40-ish hours of a DnD podcast in one week.

Is Shmanners good? Wonderful is nice but it seems like it can date itself pretty hard.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Plan Z posted:

Is Shmanners good? Wonderful is nice but it seems like it can date itself pretty hard.

Depends how long you can listen to Travis teaching you about decorum.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

what episode do they discuss how it’s rude to talk over people?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In case anybody was curious about this week's munch squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rzFjHXknyE

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I will never ever understand people who play as a human in games like this

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
humans are cool

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
humans whip

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

I would guess it’s because the statistics are usually based on humans as the baseline so they don’t have any negative numbers

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you play as a normal man instead of an orc or undead or dragon person or whatever you're a cop

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Organza Quiz posted:

That's Dragon Friends.

One bonus to this is that, outside of the iso episodes, they record 2 episodes in a row, and drink during and between them. So odd-numbered episodes are regular DM torturing where they still consider the story a little bit, and even-numbered episodes are people forgetting the story exists and ruining all of Dave's hard work.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
There is a very good D&D podcast called dungeons and deagles by the "episode one" boys

Basically takes place in looney tunes world and significant story beats can be based upon a dick size D20 roll from an episode prior

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

so i thought the bonus episode was going to be some lighthearted romp but instead it's a dark cereal fever dream

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

IronicDongz posted:

Other races are neat looking and sometimes have interesting details, but often it doesn't matter. Would Balance or Graduation really be that different if the non human characters were human instead?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Plan Z posted:

A lot of DnD podcasts I've been listening to feel like they're getting worse and worse. Dungeons and Daddies has devoted like four hours to Daryl's sad kid as they stayed in a stadium parking lot for like 2-3 episodes. Even Critical Role has some real stinker episodes over the past year. You can almost hear Matt want to just lose it in frustration as the crew spends upwards of twenty minutes inspecting rooms when it's clear that he's trying to give them the message that there's nothing to be looking for.

This isn't the dungeons and daddies thread but how were you not delighted by Will invalidating the entire football game by turning into a giant goose?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

IronicDongz posted:

Bonus feats are very good and sometimes let you play a concept decently at level 1 that wouldn't work otherwise

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Heliotrope posted:

Other races are neat looking and sometimes have interesting details, but often it doesn't matter. Would Balance or Graduation really be that different if the non human characters were human instead?

Yeah, Firbolg being a firbolg is pretty crucial to the character, but I regularly forget that Griffin and Clint aren't playing humans.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wait, Fitzroy isn't a human?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

He's a half elf.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

So if you have Google Assistant or a Nest speaker or anything with the OK Google functionality (and your language is set to English United States) try yelling "shrimp heaven now" and "I wanna munch" at it...

Edit: because I realize I just did that annoying thing where I trail off and if you can't do the thing you'll never be able to find out what it does: shrimp heaven now makes it respond with we can't keep doing this and I wanna munch responds with, obviously, Squad!

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 27, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

One of the funniest moments from Balance was Justin completely trolling Griffin by following the rules implications of the Slicer of T'pir Weir Isles. Griffin's "Oh My God" when he realizes what's happening is classic.
I particularly love that Justin combined the Slicer purchase with the book that gave him an advantage on ability rolls, and then immediately had Taako read the chapter on Persuasion in the store right before pulling his con. It was a seriously smart move.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

eke out posted:

so i thought the bonus episode was going to be some lighthearted romp but instead it's a dark cereal fever dream

Yeah this is loving wild

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Heliotrope posted:

The fanart looks nicer

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Rude Tales is kind of the inverse in that it's a show about a DM torturing his players - the show almost borders on being, like, improv PvP

Like when they try to speak to a newborn bear-owl and it just is screaming I KNOW ABOUT loving, I WAS BORN KNOWING, WHOSE CUM AM I MADE OF or when they're exploring a basement and a human-sized rat in a diaper suddenly appears to sing a rehearsed song about not being potty trained as a player how do you even come back from that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKQg7Vq8rs

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

eke out posted:

I can't believe even in this Cereal Hell bonus episode, Travis is full-rear end Travis. Wait, yes I can.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

This isn't the dungeons and daddies thread but how were you not delighted by Will invalidating the entire football game by turning into a giant goose?

Oh no, that owned. I'm talking about the like two episodes where they didn't move from the parking lot and did lots of OOC conversations while constantly putting the focus back on Darryl's kid. Like, every time I thought it would be done, they had to keep asking about that confusing twist with Payden, or Anthony would start off again with "You see Grant and he looks sad...."

One thing I do dig is that Anthony has said if there's a lot of dicking around, he'll make episodes longer to be fair to listeners. Like if the pre-game conversation lasts too long, he won't count it towards the targeted run time.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

wizzardstaff posted:

Yeah, Firbolg being a firbolg is pretty crucial to the character, but I regularly forget that Griffin and Clint aren't playing humans.
A big part of this is how much of a thing the DM makes it, especially re: NPCs acknowledging that PCs are non-standard races. It comes up for the firbolg all the time, presumably because he's the only one around and the cultural differences are obvious, but it's been strange to me that genasi are apparently so common that no one remarks on Clint's character looking part fish. I do think it would have to come up more if a PC wasn't medium-sized, since that means most stuff isn't sized right for them, and definitely should if they were playing monster races in most settings--Nott in Critical Role's a perfect example (I haven't gotten very far in that though).

Come to think of it, have any of the PCs in TAZ ever not been medium-sized? Merle was probably the shortest but dwarves are still medium. I guess maybe Kardala (in Commitment) may have been large, haha.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Stroop There It Is posted:

A big part of this is how much of a thing the DM makes it, especially re: NPCs acknowledging that PCs are non-standard races. It comes up for the firbolg all the time, presumably because he's the only one around and the cultural differences are obvious, but it's been strange to me that genasi are apparently so common that no one remarks on Clint's character looking part fish. I do think it would have to come up more if a PC wasn't medium-sized, since that means most stuff isn't sized right for them, and definitely should if they were playing monster races in most settings--Nott in Critical Role's a perfect example (I haven't gotten very far in that though).

Come to think of it, have any of the PCs in TAZ ever not been medium-sized? Merle was probably the shortest but dwarves are still medium. I guess maybe Kardala (in Commitment) may have been large, haha.

Well, I don't think so in TAZ, but there's the Tiny Heist characters. :laugh:

It also probably helps that the Firbolg is literally called "the Firbolg", which is going to kinda suck if they ever run into other Firbolgs. I really, really wish they sat down and came up with a good nickname for him, or at least continued the running joke of rotating between crappy ones, but they seemed to have dropped that by now, like Merle's quest for a character voice.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Justin's Firbolg not having a proper noun for himself was genuinely one of my favorite character choices, and hearing that that hasn't gone anywhere since I stopped listening is a bit disappointing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

The boys seem careful enough around social issues that I think they're wary of constantly addressing traits of fantasy races. Even WotC recently announced that going forward, they're dumping things like stat boosts and nerfs, as well certain aspects of lore based on what race you pick (they're keeping stuff like racial abilities, though). And I'm not doing that "Ugh, their fans are making them be PC!" shadowboxing thing. There's a substantial amount of TTAZZ discussion, as well as campaign setup for stuff like Dust and Commitment where they outright say things like "And I want to make it clear just because this character is Latinx and a werewolf, I'm not trying to imply that...". So it's very likely something that's on their minds.

As far as height goes, yeah they do rarely address it except for in cases like Merle's. Recently, though Fitzroy's "Wild Magic" trait just resulted in him being something like six inches taller, and characters are starting to acknowledge it. It was actually a welcome bit in the latest episode when Griffin finally pulled Travis out of doing nothing but dour monologuing to get the NPC to comment on his height change.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I really hope Fitzroy just keeps getting taller as the campaign progresses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Donald Duck is a grasshole.