  • Post
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Qwezz posted:

Blindsight is definitely not a space opera.

Yeah it's a first contact story.

Speaking of, what are the great first contact novels? (Discounting straight up alien invasion stories, though not discounting hostile aliens). I have read and enjoyed:

Blindsight
Eifelheim
The Midwich Cuckoos
The Forge of God
Childhood's End
The Possessors
Pushing Ice
Rendezvous With Rama

And have on my TBR pile:

Blind Lake
Three Body Problem
Foreigner
Dawn
The Mote In God's Eye

Any well-regarded classics I'm missing?

And also, on that topic, who can identify this first contact book? I remember reading the beginning of it in a school library or something. A mysterious object enters solar orbit and is an alien probe which happily chats to Earth and gives all kinds of information until it travels out of range again, and at one point it confirms to scientists that, yes, alien species which developed a monotheistic religion were livestock herders projecting a "shepherd" figure. (I think I remember this bit specifically because my edgelord 18-year-old brain thought it was really smart.) It had a sort of mid century Clarke/Asimov feel to it. That was just the beginning, I never read the rest of it.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

The second book veers into extreme environmentalism, where the next major villain kills of 90% of humanity by pressing a button in order to recover the environment.
I never attributed any special form of ideology to the world ruling government, neither left or right, but rather standard oppressive bureaucracy where the purpose is to preserve and extend the current oppressive system than anything ideological. The opposition to Asher seems to be due to him being very much not left. But then again, I see all sci-fi and fantasy as fiction.

Also, complaining about having a main protagonist hero that solves everything despite opposition from the system is pretty much applicable to 90% of all sci-Fi/fantasy. Pretty much no one would read a story about a organization full of anonymous people that bring down a system. Neither Banks or Mieville have been close to doing this.

Also, I guess it is time to reread the series. It was ok as far as I remember but suffered from bland characters, meandering storyline (by ashers standards) and too comically evil villains.

I generally like Asher's writing (I believe I've bought and read everything he's published, actually the only living author I could say that about) but the Owner series was awful.

The series reads like juvenalia and I can't definitively prove it but I think that's how it started. The Owner character appears in several short stories from The Engineer Reconditioned as a sort of divine being and I believe these are all early works. There's also the personal circumstances that Asher had when he wrote it. His wife was dying of cancer around this time.

I think he wrote the Owner series before his publishing deal and revised/polished then for publication. They're much less accomplished in many ways than books he published earlier. There's nothing wrong with this, it's his livelihood, but I didn't enjoy them and wouldn't recommend them.

Asher's politics are the right wing British nationalist politics that have been pushing into the mainstream for decades. I'm British and it's really apparent that the government in the Owner series is written with exactly the traits that UKIP, the BNP and the Eurosceptic wing of the Tories attribute to the EU. This is not incompatible with a good story, Cowl has a similar tone in its near future sections, but it is visibly there.

I don't agree with Asher's politics but to be honest I hear them in friends at my rugby club, they don't make him a bad person though I think they lead to a dangerous place. Even if you don't enjoy a political reading I didn't think the Owner series was well written or enjoyable as an apolitical work.

Read Cowl instead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

Blind Lake
Three Body Problem
Foreigner
Dawn
The Mote In God's Eye

Any well-regarded classics I'm missing?

There's a bunch of C.J. Cherryh I'd add to that list:
- The Pride of Chanur (tramp freighter crew gets embroiled in interstellar politics when an alien refugee takes shelter on their ship)
- 40,000 in Gehenna (Union colony finds out that their new planet isn't as uninhabited as they thought)
- Voyager in Night (ore prospecting ship crashes into alien mothership, aliens try to help, everyone needs quite a lot of therapy)
And of those, I'd put Pride foremost; it's the one that deals most directly with the complications of first contact and is also one of her fastest-paced books.

I honestly probably wouldn't put Foreigner on the list, not because it's not good, but because it's less "first contact" and more "200 years after first contact, humans and aliens have mostly figured out this 'peaceful coexistence' thing, then things suddenly get a lot more complicated". Even first contact with the Kyo in the second trilogy is more about how it affects Atevi/Human politics, at least so far (I'm only 12 books in).

That said, if that's also the sort of thing you're looking for, that's a well Cherryh has returned to repeatedly (and is good at), so I'd also add:
- Cuckoo's Egg (worried about humans? why not grow one from scratch?)
- The Faded Sun (a lone human ends up stuck with two alien refugees humans were at war with last week)

And maybe also the short story "Pots", which is about a team of alien archaeologists from a society that has been dramatically shaped by discovery of human artifacts, but has never actually met a human.

Apart from CJC, I'd probably also add Children of Time, which is about the development of spider civilization but also gets you two first contact stories for the price of one (spiders<->the satellite and spiders<->humans).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wow that sounds prolific! I've actually never read any Cherryh at all, for some reason I just have Foreigner and Cyteen on my extensive Goodreads TBR list. (And since Cyteen is the one I actually own, lying around somewhere, that's the one I'll inevitably read first to see whether I click with her as a writer.

I have read Children of Time and enjoyed it a lot, though I wouldn't quite classify it as first contact, given that the humans are encountering a species they generated themselves. I'll concede that's nitpicky, though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

freebooter posted:

Speaking of, what are the great first contact novels? (Discounting straight up alien invasion stories, though not discounting hostile aliens). I have read and enjoyed:

Any well-regarded classics I'm missing?

Solaris is a good first contact novel, although the "first contact" in Solaris happens over decades and centuries.

Read the first book from my recent used bookstore trip, Midnight at the Well of Souls, the first book in the Well of Souls series.
Bought MatWoS at that used bookstore because in a informal SF-LOVERS poll around 1981? asking "what main character in a scifi or fantasy series had the highest body count", almost everyone answered "Nathan Brazil from the Well of Souls series", and that kind of near-universal agreement got noted. MatWoS aged pretty well, it dips into various subjects (cosmology, body transformations, alien race povs, high tec cultures, low tech cultures, precursors, etc) while moving the plot along at a intensely brisk pace that is 373% anthema to modern fantasy/scifi publishing practices. If the Well of Souls series was written/rewritten today, book 1 (MatWoS) would be at least 5 books and counting.

Definitely open to getting more Well of Souls stories the next time I visit a used bookstore.
The probably terrible Donald Barr book is up next on my "decompressing from reading the-SFL-archives" list, followed by the A. Bertram Chandler predating Honor Harrington by 25 years Horatio HornBlower in Space! books.

SFL Vol 08 update 1

-The SFL person that melted down ultra-hard over Wargames 1983 (back in SFL Digest Vol 07) first post in the SFL Digest Vol 08 continued to angrily poo poo-talk Wargames 1983 then switched to a classic "hahaha I was puppet-mastering you all hahaha" defense all in that first SFL Vol 08 post. Status: Still hyper-mad about Wargames 1983, and is angrily requesting anyone that doesn't have the same views about Wargames 1983 as them to "redirect this discussion to POL-SCI, please!" (usenet). Broke a rule and looked this person up IRL. Their Wargames 1983 meltdown was just the first stages of them getting contrarian, bitter and angry about the '80s and the internet not evolving how they expected/wanted.

-Normal not-angry discussions about Wargames 1983 continued the jokes and references to Burger King sponsoring Wargames 1983. Along with wonderment/lust at all the expensive gear MattBroderick had in-movie, and plotpoints that didn't make quite make sense (buying the plane tickets, why entering NORAD base a certain way if everything was so critical, etc). For explanation about the Burger King thing, the war computers name in the movie is WOPR which sounds a whole lot like Whopper when pronounced. Burger King, Whopper.....get it?

-Yet another another scifi author revealed themselves to defend the collective wisdom of SFWA members re: award nominations or not. I don't bookmark the author self-doxxes in SFL archive so maybe it was a previously self-doxxed author posting.

-The 1983 version of being terminally online: your sig file contains multiple USENET server paths+USENET handle, along with a CSNet email address, AND a ARPANET email address

-one of the first mentions of MUDs in the SFL. A request for people to create scenarios + storylines for a post-apoc MUD centering around DAYTON, OHIO. Look this up yourself, keywords: SMAUG Rutgers

-A 2nd request by Robert Forward for CAD artwork assistance in Rocheworld

-SFL discussion of James P Hogan's The Genesis Machine sort of makes John Ringo's writing and mary-sue main characters look subtle and restrained. Or maybe James P Hogan was a major influence in Ringo's work.
https://youtu.be/vgk-lA12FBk

-only mentioning a SCA recruitment ad that hypes up the allure of LARP combat because it contains the perfect synergy of "beating the cream" and GOR.

quote:

From: REDACTED.DETCADER at DETCADER
Subject: SCA
The SCA does not limit itself to any specific time period, it is
simply that most of the members are into the Middle Ages. The choice
of persona and interest is completly up to each person. If more
people who are interested in Tokagawa Japan or other periods would
join the SCA then it would become more generalized, more anacronistic
than it presently is. I am a member of a splinter group associated
with them known as the Tuchux. We are roughly based on the Tuchucks
of the Gor series
, and the early German tribes of the pre-Roman Empire
times. This is not the Middle Ages. The best way to generate
interest in different periods is to join the SCA and try to generate
it yourself instead of waiting for others to do it. That is how the
Tuchux evolved and became one of the most feared forces in SCA
military campaigns. At last years War between the East and Middle
Kingdoms the Tuchux were the deciding factor in every battle and were
awarded the War Banner. There were only 60 of us too, but we cowed
hundreds and beat the cream of the fighters of both kingdoms.
But
enough rambling the point was that you should join the SCA and try to
build a group suited to your tastes and maybe succeed like us. Somday
maybe I will meet a group of Tokagawa Samurai on the battle field, I
will of course slay them but it would be interesting.

Beating the cream/GOR

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 26, 2020

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
All Systems Red (Murderbot #1) by Martha Wells - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYZ8X5C/

Artificial Condition (Murderbot #2) by Martha Wells - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DGHHQL/

Rogue Protocol (Murderbot #3) by Martha Wells - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756JSWGL/

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QXVDJ0/

How Long 'til Black Future Month by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

The Last Policeman by Ben H Winters $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076Q1GW2/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pradmer posted:

How Long 'til Black Future Month by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

I think this is my favorite work by her so far. :getin:

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

freebooter posted:

And have on my TBR pile:

Blind Lake
Three Body Problem
Foreigner
Dawn
The Mote In God's Eye

Three Body Problem is the first contact book for me now I think. It's not only about first contact, but a treatise about the whole theory of first contact and what that entails. I guess the exploration of that is more in the second book, Dark Forest, but its alluded to in the first. There's a lot of weirdness in the trilogy that doesn't quite work, but specifically on the concept of meeting aliens, it absolutely nails it.

mllaneza

Harold Fjord posted:

I think this is my favorite work by her so far. :getin:

There are some amazing stories in that collection.

For first contact stories I have to recommend Elizabeth Moon's Remnant Population
https://smile.amazon.com/Remnant-Population-Novel-Elizabeth-Moon-ebook/dp/B000QCQ99I/

An old woman, sick and tired of everybody's poo poo, stays behind when her colony is shut down and everybody gets shipped out. It's just her and her garden. Oh and the indigenous species that had been hiding out.

Fantastic story, and Ofelia is one of the great characterizations in science fiction.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Been noticing a lot of books I want to buy on Kindle are unavailable in America at the moment, mostly British authors. I wanted to try the Xeelee series but couldn't find any way to get it apart from used paperbacks.

Then the Kindle app just trolled me with a pop-up of "Still interested in Raft by Stephen Baxter?" and clicking it took me straight to the "Title is currently unavailable." page. :mad:

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

TheAardvark posted:

Been noticing a lot of books I want to buy on Kindle are unavailable in America at the moment, mostly British authors. I wanted to try the Xeelee series but couldn't find any way to get it apart from used paperbacks.

Then the Kindle app just trolled me with a pop-up of "Still interested in Raft by Stephen Baxter?" and clicking it took me straight to the "Title is currently unavailable." page. :mad:

I had to switch to Amazon UK in order to buy the book on Kindle. So annoying.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

EdBlackadder posted:

[...]

Hello fellow Asher reader.
I have pretty much everything as well, but I can't really recall Alan Saul from the Engineer reconditioned.
But I agree that the Owner series is probably his weakest series, mainly cause it is less refined than other of his work. Although more refined than Gridlinked imo.

Your description of Ashers political views is interesting.
For me as a Swede, the Committe is a mix of EU combined with Soviet style communist dictatorship, but then again I don't have experienced UK politics and media directly, more on a second hand from co-workers and family, and have more experienced a dominating social democratic party combined with reading a bunch about Soviet.
Kinda shows how large difference one can get in associations depending on your local cultural context, even for two Western countries.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Hello fellow Asher reader.
I have pretty much everything as well, but I can't really recall Alan Saul from the Engineer reconditioned.
But I agree that the Owner series is probably his weakest series, mainly cause it is less refined than other of his work. Although more refined than Gridlinked imo.

The Owner appears in various forms in 'Jable Sharks', 'The Thrake', 'Proctors' and 'Tiger Tiger' from 'The Engineer Reconditioned'. There's he's a post-human diety essentially and it makes for a fun universe to play in. He's not really a character so much as an idea which honestly worked pretty well for me.

quote:

Your description of Ashers political views is interesting.
For me as a Swede, the Committe is a mix of EU combined with Soviet style communist dictatorship, but then again I don't have experienced UK politics and media directly, more on a second hand from co-workers and family, and have more experienced a dominating social democratic party combined with reading a bunch about Soviet.
Kinda shows how large difference one can get in associations depending on your local cultural context, even for two Western countries.

Yeah, there's probably a discussion about death of the author someone cleverer than I could make. My context is I live in a part of the UK that swings very much to the political right. The National Front have been elected to Parish Councils and to be frank the Committee is how the current EU is explicitly and vocally seen by this group. I don't want to poo poo up the thread with politics but it's pretty troubling and it's far too close from what I hear on the streets for comfort.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

EdBlackadder posted:

Yeah, there's probably a discussion about death of the author someone cleverer than I could make. My context is I live in a part of the UK that swings very much to the political right. The National Front have been elected to Parish Councils and to be frank the Committee is how the current EU is explicitly and vocally seen by this group. I don't want to poo poo up the thread with politics but it's pretty troubling and it's far too close from what I hear on the streets for comfort.

Yeah, you're right, and the Owner trilogy is where it comes out more than most other Asher.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

Wow that sounds prolific! I've actually never read any Cherryh at all, for some reason I just have Foreigner and Cyteen on my extensive Goodreads TBR list. (And since Cyteen is the one I actually own, lying around somewhere, that's the one I'll inevitably read first to see whether I click with her as a writer.

She is incredibly prolific; 50+ novels since her debut in the mid-70s, several short stories and novellas, and three Hugos and a double handful of other honours, including an asteroid named after her (77185 Cherryh).

She's a classicist and archaeologist by training, and is very fond of exploring what happens when alien cultures interact. She especially likes the setup of "one person is isolated in alien an culture and must learn to live in it" -- that's basically the foundation of the Chanur series, Cuckoo's Egg, at least two of the Merchanter books, the Faded Sun, the Fortress series, and if you expand "one person" to "a relatively small and isolated society" that's basically the entire premise of Foreigner, too. It's not always non-human aliens but it's a setup she's quite fond of.

Stylistically, her books mostly are either fast-paced swashbuckling adventure (Chanur, Merchanter, Serpent's Reach -- a lot of her work in the 80s in particular falls into this bucket) or slower-paced books heavy on the psychology and politics (Cyteen is one of these, as is Foreigner -- although even in these there is some accuracy to the saying that "every Cherryh novel ends with a bus ride to a gunfight"). There's a few (Voyager in Night, Heavy Time, Hellburner, maybe Port Eternity) that I'd classify as claustrophobic psychological horror, too.

Cyteen is a massive doorstopper of a book but, unlike her other Hugo-winning you-could-kill-someone-with-this novel (Downbelow Station), I really enjoyed it and found it an engrossing read. So while it's not what you're looking for in the first contact arena, I would recommend it. If you don't like it, it's still worth checking out her faster stuff like Chanur or Rimrunners, but if you don't like those either her work is likely to be a lot more miss than hit for you.

freebooter posted:

I have read Children of Time and enjoyed it a lot, though I wouldn't quite classify it as first contact, given that the humans are encountering a species they generated themselves. I'll concede that's nitpicky, though.

Extremely. :colbert: And I just love the scenes where the spiders figure out how to communicate with the satellite (and vice versa).

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

freebooter posted:

Yeah it's a first contact story.

Speaking of, what are the great first contact novels?

Any well-regarded classics I'm missing?

A Woman of the Iron People. A human exploration team arrive at an alien planet and discover aliens. They are too far from Earth to receive timely advice. Anthropology ensues. Recommended by Ursula K. LeGuin.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

How's it compare to the Traitor Son series?

I think it's a little better, mostly due to it being only 3 books. I didn't even finish the last Traitor Son book even though I loved the first few as I was just a little fatigued by it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Urcher posted:

A Woman of the Iron People. A human exploration team arrive at an alien planet and discover aliens. They are too far from Earth to receive timely advice. Anthropology ensues. Recommended by Ursula K. LeGuin.

I read this based on a recommendation itt a couple of years ago and it’s real good. Also a good recommendation for the next time someone asks for a low-stakes/cozy book

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Clark Nova posted:

I read this based on a recommendation itt a couple of years ago and it’s real good. Also a good recommendation for the next time someone asks for a low-stakes/cozy book

When you say low-stakes, are we talking low stakes in the "it's not about a star exploding or saving the galaxy" kind of way, or low stakes in the To Be Taught if Fortunate / general Becky Chambers mode, where it's essentially about following people through their pretty okay lives and nothing really happens?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

A fun little pick-me-up of a short story in Tor:

Everything’s Fine

quote:

Eric’s day is off to a rough start: his regional managers are in town, he’s running late to work, the moon seems to be falling apart, and he just can’t seem to get his tie right. At least he has his priorities straight: it’s the little things that matter. The world may be plunging into chaos, the neighborhood children might be mutating into abominations, but that doesn’t mean he can let his standards slip. If he and his co-workers can survive their nightmare walk to the office, then Eric has a plan for success…

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

space marine todd posted:

A fun little pick-me-up of a short story in Tor:

Everything’s Fine

nice

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I do think you've sold me on Cherryh finally. She's been on my "pick this up maybe" list for a while - one of those writers who've never got Finnish translations, so I would think locally a bit underlooked.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kestral posted:

When you say low-stakes, are we talking low stakes in the "it's not about a star exploding or saving the galaxy" kind of way, or low stakes in the To Be Taught if Fortunate / general Becky Chambers mode, where it's essentially about following people through their pretty okay lives and nothing really happens?

Definitely the former. The characters are having an adventure but it's still pretty clear that the planet isn't going to blow up and no one is going to be turned into a chair or have their dick ripped off by an alien crab

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) by Becky Chambers - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZP64F28/

The Fifth Season (Broken Earth #1) by NK Jemisin - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H25FCSQ/

Promise of Blood (Powder Mage #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092XHPIG/

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAXFDLM/

The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756JH5R1/

The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut #2) by Mary Robinette Kowal - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756JKWCJ/

Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow #2) by Anthony Ryan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3L6ML6/

The Last Wish (Witcher) - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SIPT4/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lunsku posted:

I do think you've sold me on Cherryh finally. She's been on my "pick this up maybe" list for a while - one of those writers who've never got Finnish translations, so I would think locally a bit underlooked.

I'm v pleased, she's a wonderful writer. Elegant with her world-building and exposition.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Clark Nova posted:

Definitely the former. The characters are having an adventure but it's still pretty clear that the planet isn't going to blow up and no one is going to be turned into a chair or have their dick ripped off by an alien crab

Fantastic, I'm sold. Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What book does someone's dick get ripped off by an alien crab?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

withak posted:

What book does someone's dick get ripped off by an alien crab?

Pretty sure this happens in Guy Smith’s Night of the Crabs, but they’re mutant crabs, iirc, not alien crabs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

withak posted:

What book does someone's dick get ripped off by an alien crab?

Are you looking for crabs or violence upon dicks? Because I know of at least one book with graphic dick violence, but there are no crabs in it. :v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just trying to make sure that I’m not missing out on any important references. The chair one is easy.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

withak posted:

What book does someone's dick get ripped off by an alien crab?

I was thinking of one of the latter Asher Polity books but that's one giant alien crab stealing another one's dick

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Kestral posted:

When you say low-stakes, are we talking low stakes in the "it's not about a star exploding or saving the galaxy" kind of way, or low stakes in the To Be Taught if Fortunate / general Becky Chambers mode, where it's essentially about following people through their pretty okay lives and nothing really happens?

Former. The humans are exploring an unfamiliar and potentially hostile environment. The stakes are on the level of "these humans might be hurt or even killed", nothing at the level of stars/planets/civilisations/cities is ever at risk.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Donald Barr book Space Relations is really drat bad unless you like reading bdsm kink and harem fiction.
Here's a quick recap:
Diplomat is kidnapped and sold into sex slavery, eventually thinks his way out of (sex slave) captivity and back to civilization. 5 years later, Diplomat goes back to sex-slave planet for REASONS and sexual slavery un-shockingly happens again.

On the other hand, the first A. Bertram Chandler Horatio Hornblower John Grimes story collection (Road to the Rim/Hard Way Up) was surprisingly engaging and readable. There was no Honor Harrington chosen one vibe in the John Grimes stories, the main character was clever but paid for his cleverness by getting poo poo jobs in return/locked out of the Space Navy promotion ladder.
The second Horatio Hornblower John Grimes story collection (The Inheritors/Gateway to Never) was much worse. The Inheritors was Chandler 130% doing an ode to Cordwainer Smith, complete with naked 24/7 superhot feline Underpeople, while Gateway to Never was a much older John Grimes getting voluntold into dealing with icky Customs and Border Patrol people and acting smug while everyone else out-thought/out-planned/out-played him for the entire book.

SFL Vol 08 update 2

-Robert Forward is pretty chatty so far, and explained as far as he knows, what BigName scifi/fantasy authors circa 1983 have/do not have arpanet access, and if any of them have heard of or read the SFL mailing list.

-Movie piracy was old school in 1983. Somebody held up a movie theater, and stole a complete set of 70mm Return of the Jedi film reels.

-an explanation of how the SFL Digest got transmitted to subscribers happens, with clarifications of contacting the subscribers local sysadmin if a particular "Delivery Notice" message about 50-byte TCP packets keeps appearing in SFL subscribers email.

-Sapir-Worf Hypothesis gets brought up and debunked and not debunked.

-listicles of what other scifi/fantasy authors Robert Heinlein wrote in for the end-of-book party in Heinlein's Number of the Beast

-The humble-brag of the Gor fan's SCA group "trashing the cream of other (SCA) kingdoms" gets much feedback.

-Joe Bob Briggs reviews Krull. Joe Bob Briggs, B-Movie reviewer, has been around for a long rear end time.

-that one super-cute Robot story about "3 robots just being themselves sidetracking an 5 billion strong Jovian invasion" gets mentioned. Victory Unconditional/Isaac Asimov if you wanted to look it up yourself.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 28, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Stephen Baxter's Raft was great, although I thought it was funny how often he wrote about people bunching up their muscles (is this a UK term for flexing?) in order to intimidate others.

Also, it is so nice to read a fulfilling story in 240 or so pages instead of slogging through something two or three times as long yet half as satisfying. I'm looking forward to the rest of the Xeelee series.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Gideon the Ninth (Locked Tomb #1) by Tamsyn Muir - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J6HWLPR/

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYI974/

American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AS84PM/

Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DNTPRK/

Half a King (Shattered Sea #1) by Joe Abercrombie - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HBQWGYO/

Red Rising by Pierce Brown - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I love it when an author actually gets poo poo done - it was so good finishing the Dragon Republic and seeing the third book is already planned for november this year. No 10 year waiting bullshit.

Gonna start Magic for Liars now, I don't know how it'll compare but absolutely loved these the Poppy War books so I need to lower my expectations

orange sky
May 7, 2007

pradmer posted:

Gideon the Ninth (Locked Tomb #1) by Tamsyn Muir - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J6HWLPR/

Red Rising by Pierce Brown - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

I really recommend these two.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I'm finishing Blood Meridian and would like some...lighter fare.

Y'all got any recs for fun time travel books?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

I'm finishing Blood Meridian and would like some...lighter fare.

Y'all got any recs for fun time travel books?
To Say Nothing of the Dog?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

I'm finishing Blood Meridian and would like some...lighter fare.

Y'all got any recs for fun time travel books?

This Is How You Lose The Time War (El-Mohtar/Gladstone) - epistolary novel between two agents on opposite sides of a cross-time war.
The Anubis Gates (Tim Powers) - time travel to 19th century London by modern scholars, chaos ensues.
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August (Catherine Webb) - not strictly time travel, but person living the same time period repeatedly.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4