Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it... is it even possible to beat Ring Scramble lv 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes, you just memorize the exact way the picture is scrambled and do it in reverse.

Or, for example, record a clip of it and study at your leisure.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Amppelix posted:

Yes, you just memorize the exact way the picture is scrambled and do it in reverse.

Or, for example, record a clip of it and study at your leisure.

I tried doing that second thing, did not work. Is it the same every time?

Also, Ninji Skills lv 3 :suicide: at least the other two are easy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Doing it in reverse won't help, as they scramble the ring in 7 moves, and you have to unscramble in 6.

What you actually have to do is rotate all the rings right side up, then slide the 2 rows out of place back into place.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
First Paper Mario since playing TTYD. Beat it, enjoyed it for the most part but my main complaints were just me fighting the UI/UX especially when it came to Ring Scramble like puzzles. I really wished I'd understood how the cheer/bribe mechanic worked earlier in the game, esp it's benefits in boss fights. I'd given up on it because just giving 10g was not useful. Also I'll go to my grave thinking I did the right thing for (jungle) taking Olivia's jungle path choice each time. She's my partner so who cares if she's wrong, we're exploring anyways dammit. Enemies of my enemy don't get first pick no matter how smart they think they are!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

my biggest (little, non completely-changing-the-game-design) wishes for this game were:

1). I wish Ollie came around more often, or you fought him a few times over the course of the game. Between the beginning and the very end you only see him once, and that one scene is incredibly effective, but he's a complete non-presence aside from that. I wish he taunted you a little more.

2). I wish the battle system had a little more transparency. If you're gonna do the turn-based battle thing, at least let me have an idea of what my attack stat is, or what the HP for enemies are, or how much each of the boots/hammers powers me up. Otherwise it's sort of trial and error, and there are some cases where you're really not getting enough battles in to actually figure those things out. literally the only stat you actually see in the game is HP, all of the other increases are just "this is more powerful" or "this is the most powerful" or "you're growing in power".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Green Streamer:

Is there any point in helping Bowser's soldiers in the banquet hall?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Green Streamer:

they won’t like you, but they’ll respect you.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Electric Phantasm posted:

Green Streamer:

If you actually fight the battle instead of just instantly squashing the enemy in the field they toss you 1000 coins on top of the rewards, so you can end up getting a ton of cash for some easy fights. I don't think there's anything beyond that, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Funny moment in the room the last two posts were about.

I got a line up where I really needed to use a flower because jumps weren't going to get through some balls that some folded soldier Spikes were carrying. So I'm scrolling through my items but accidentally scrolled past to a POW block and suddenly every flat Bowser minion has text pop up "H-Hey wait a minute!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DC Murderverse posted:

2). I wish the battle system had a little more transparency. If you're gonna do the turn-based battle thing, at least let me have an idea of what my attack stat is, or what the HP for enemies are, or how much each of the boots/hammers powers me up. Otherwise it's sort of trial and error, and there are some cases where you're really not getting enough battles in to actually figure those things out. literally the only stat you actually see in the game is HP, all of the other increases are just "this is more powerful" or "this is the most powerful" or "you're growing in power".

This is something that irritated me in Color Splash too. It’s a bit better here since there are at least damage numbers when you do an attack, but it still feels like a lot of guesswork to figure out what it will take to kill an enemy. Certain enemies seemingly just refuse to die no matter what I throw at them. It’s also hard to get a sense for how much damage each item does because the numbers are bigger than they were in the old games and there are a bunch of different variables. You have the base damage, plus a boost based on Mario’s current “level” (based on hitting certain HP thresholds), plus multiples levels of success from Action Commands (Nice, Great, or Excellent) that add different amounts of damage, then a 1.5x multiplier for solving a tile puzzle. And on top of all that you also can’t see the HP of the enemies you’re attacking.

I still don’t understand how exactly this system is supposed to be more casual friendly than the simple RPG gameplay from the first two games that mostly used clear, single-digit numbers. It makes zero sense to me. I’ve been playing video games for twenty-odd years and even I often find the standard encounters in this game to be confusing and frustrating.

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 26, 2020

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Torquemadras posted:

- PM original characters are memory-holed (Kammy Koopa...)

To be honest, the existence of Kammy Koopa when Kamek was already a semi-established character with the exact same position and personality always struck me as kind of weird and redundant.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Finished the game. It's not Thousand Year Door at all but drat, this game was FUN. I was extremely surprised at how much I enjoyed the game and the characters in it. What OK has in common with TTYD is something no game can achieve by copying TTYD, which is that it just oozes creativity. The story is simple but makes sense internally, and IMO is a little more interesting than "collect all the crystal stars and defeat a slumbering ancient evil." I appreciate that it addresses the fact that a bunch of origami people happen to invade just as the kingdom is having an origami festival.

And the music. Goddamn the music in this game is good. It's on par with TTYD and better than any other Switch game I can think of.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone know how to get this one treasure in the green streamer that's up on some collapsed columns over to the right of the building where the boss was?

I thought maybe a hidden block was around to let me jump to it but I've already got 100% blocks in this area.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Each thing in the museum has a blurb which is basically the same as Tattle

Those are pretty great. I don't know those in OK, but I do remember the Thing museum in SS. That is some of the funniest writing in SS - it contributes to my opinion that the Things are absolutely hilarious in concept, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of them. I love how they're fundamentally alien to the Paper Mario world - everybody treats them with awe, fear and an absolute lack of understanding. Eldritch abominations PM style. (Of course, gameplay-wise, they are pretty lame/overpowered/part of bafflingly horrible puzzle concepts. Whatever. They're hilarious.)

Not quite the same as Tattle, though. The special thing is that you can use it on NPCs, which gives more insight into some ridiculously unimportant facet of their lives. It's charming, it makes the world feel alive, it provides a good bit of meta commentary. I genuinely think it's one of the most important features of "old style" Paper Mario, and naturally, a general ban on individuals makes this less appealing. (Of course, TTYD kinda went further with it, given the TTYD residents are usually a bit more extravagant than PM64...)

In short: to me, it's obvious that the developers clearly still got it. They can write funny stuff. They're just doomed to stay in the shadow of TTYD with these inane restrictions (with some breakout individuals like Bobby! I'm sure the developers got a very stern meeting with Nintendo for that one). Kinda strange when the big villain goes "Toads are all the same, they suck" and, well, he has a point. By now, their insistence on these things feels like either corporate suffocation, the world's saddest in-joke, or one higher-up who feels increasingly miffed that people do not appreciate toadification* and doubles down in retaliation.

*Not just for toads, everybody gets reduced to their generic versions, losing individuality and whatnot...

Morbi posted:

To be honest, the existence of Kammy Koopa when Kamek was already a semi-established character with the exact same position and personality always struck me as kind of weird and redundant.

Fair enough. I just like Kammy Koopa a lot. She's got great evil grandma energy, and is pretty drat hilarious in TTYD. :v:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Anyone know how to get this one treasure in the green streamer that's up on some collapsed columns over to the right of the building where the boss was?

I thought maybe a hidden block was around to let me jump to it but I've already got 100% blocks in this area.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of there should be a pillar you can knock over somewhere.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Augus posted:

This is something that irritated me in Color Splash too. It’s a bit better here since there are at least damage numbers when you do an attack, but it still feels like a lot of guesswork to figure out what it will take to kill an enemy. Certain enemies seemingly just refuse to die no matter what I throw at them. It’s also hard to get a sense for how much damage each item does because the numbers are bigger than they were in the old games and there are a bunch of different variables. You have the base damage, plus a boost based on Mario’s current “level” (based on hitting certain HP thresholds), plus multiples levels of success from Action Commands (Nice, Great, or Excellent) that add different amounts of damage, then a 1.5x multiplier for solving a tile puzzle. And on top of all that you also can’t see the HP of the enemies you’re attacking.

I still don’t understand how exactly this system is supposed to be more casual friendly than the simple RPG gameplay from the first two games that mostly used clear, single-digit numbers. It makes zero sense to me. I’ve been playing video games for twenty-odd years and even I often find the standard encounters in this game to be confusing and frustrating.

From the point of view of someone who isn't really crazy about the battle system, some of the fuzziness you're talking about here is what makes the battles tolerable for me. It feels like it should be a more black-and-white puzzle game -- solve the puzzle and win the battle, don't solve the puzzle and lose the battle -- but if it was, I would have gotten sick of it before the second streamer.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if it was that it would be awful lol

the whole point is that you don't have to solve it to win, but if you do you can win right on the spot.

E: also you don't need to have have permission to make unique characters to make a game that's better than TTYD, as this game proves because it's better than TTYD.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 26, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finished the game last night, and yeah, going to agree with everyone saying that the ending could be better. Final boss is enjoyable, even if a bit easy, but Olivia once again doing the cliche Nintendo "partner scarifices self/goes away forever" is loving dumb. She was a super cool and cute character, and unlike Huey, her self-sacrifice didn't even make sense, it was just dumb. "Yeah burn all this poo poo and kill me too I guess"
Still, best Paper Mario hands down. Would love to see the series evolve, and maybe even unfuck itself so that we can have a bit more variety. You clearly see that the devs were trying so hard with Bobby, too! I'm guessing his real name being Bob-Omb is related to all the bullshit going on with OCs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it’s good that you can still win a battle after failing the sliding puzzle, you just won’t be able to win it perfectly. What annoys me is when I solve a difficult puzzle perfectly but then the game is like “oh your shiny jump left the enemy alive with like 1 hp remaining, why didn’t you know to use the flash jump you imbecile, you absolute loving moron”

meanwhile the enemy looks like this

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 26, 2020

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Saying that "They're just doomed to stay in the shadow of TTYD" is really weird considering that the game is absolutely not trying to be like TTYD at all. Like going into Origami King expecting a follow up to TTYD is just gonna lead to massive disappointment. They're 2 entirely different games. Like I miss the TTYD style as well, as well as some of the more unique designs, but OK is very much its own thing. And the sting from lack of unique designs is lessened by running into Toads with more different outfits and being able to interact with Bowser's minions again, which really adds a lot more variety to the NPCs. I think that was one of the things I missed the most back when the Mario franchise got a bit weird on how to handle Bowser a few years ago. The coffee shop scenes were great, and being able to team up with Kamek and Bowser Jr. really added a lot to them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Augus posted:

“oh your shiny jump left the enemy alive with like 1 hp remaining, why didn’t you know to use the flash jump you imbecile, you absolute loving moron”

Yeah, it’s driving me crazy and apparently no one anywhere has spaded this game for that? If I had more time I’d do it myself.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Really liking the game so far. managed to beat the pencil case last night after a few tries, the boss battles are harder than I thought they would be but they’re really fun and restarting the battle the few times I had to never really got me to a point of frustration.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I did the final dungeon and wrap-up of the yellow streamer and by now I'm convinced that by the time I reach the final streamer this game's going to reach infinite songs and I'll be trapped in a mobius strip along with everyone else who's been lying about finishing

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Re: the big ending spoiler of Olivia wishing herself out of existence, it seemed to me like an extremely in-character wish for her from the angles of A: it being an accidental miswording by a character who makes many poorly thought-out decisions throughout the game, B: an intentional act of projected guilt as Olly's sister for not somehow stopping him before it got to that point, or even some combination of the two. Olivia has a childlike understanding of complex emotions like guilt and grief (which makes sense, considering she and Olly were probably folded pretty recently) and I was surprised just how much they were willing to explore that aspect of her character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I beat Green Streamer boss my first try but thank God I had a one up mushroom. I got it way back at the beginning of the game and forgot I even had it.

Is just listening to a podcast discussion and someone mentioned the first boss took them 45 minutes(the vellumental) and it only gets worse from there.

And I was like "How the gently caress are you playing this?"

I'm right at the end, I think the longest boss for me was the yellow streamer boss and that was like 20 minutes.

Their discussion was full of weird things like that and mentioning some of the optional enhancements and complaining the game doesn't tell you about them (the ones they mentioned were ones the game literally gives you a notification overlayed on your screen when they become available)

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 26, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok, what exactly is the point of the cafe in toad town where you can buy speed up tea that lasts for five seconds, and also intentionally slow yourself down???

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Amppelix posted:

ok, what exactly is the point of the cafe in toad town where you can buy speed up tea that lasts for five seconds, and also intentionally slow yourself down???

To make you go faster or slower for five seconds, obviously.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Violen posted:

I did the final dungeon and wrap-up of the yellow streamer and by now I'm convinced that by the time I reach the final streamer this game's going to reach infinite songs and I'll be trapped in a mobius strip along with everyone else who's been lying about finishing

I "just finished" the game today and can say that you certainly "don't get caught in a mobius strip of songs" but there are some real good rear end tracks on there. Such a delight of a game.

Also that Snif City/Shroom City theme is STILL stuck in my head.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I beat Green Streamer boss my first try but thank God I had a one up mushroom. I got it way back at the beginning of the game and forgot I even had it.

Is just listening to a podcast discussion and someone mentioned the first boss took them 45 minutes(the vellumental) and it only gets worse from there.

And I was like "How the gently caress are you playing this?"

I'm right at the end, I think the longest boss for me was the yellow streamer boss and that was like 20 minutes.

Their discussion was full of weird things like that and mentioning some of the optional enhancements and complaining the game doesn't tell you about them (the ones they mentioned were ones the game literally gives you a notification overlayed on your screen when they become available)

I remember hearing that from somewhere too and was really baffled as I was playing the game because nothing came close to being that ridiculous. I died to the Green Streamer boss a couple of times but that was the worst of it.

I mean I know this battle system is a very unique thing and there's gonna be a learning curve to figuring out how to manipulate the board but yikes.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Morbi posted:

I disagree, that she was an old lady was specifically what made her funny and unique—she was this geriatric witch that acted as foil for the King. They never even really play up the fact that Kamek is old

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat the game today and finished up everything... except Shy Guys Finish Last :shepicide: not sure if I am up for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ironically I'd wager Kammy Koopa exists because they were not allowed to use Kamek at the time for some reason

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

kamek was a whole lot less established when paper mario was coming out. i don't think he actually would've been on anyone's minds back then.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yeah, and they used Magikoopas a lot more as generic enemies back then

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just spent probably an hour unsuccessfully trying to find an object in the desert night while chasing the yellow streamer. One hint was very obvious, look at my feet! But i had no items and smashing my shoecar or hammer into everything does nothing. Olivia just repeats the same loving clue you already have.

Only after scouring the help pages did I rediscover your professor companion can loving dig! He mentions it once and I completely forgot because I had gone to bed before continuing. This game holds your hands a lot but completely left me on my own for that puzzle. God drat weed 🤬

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Morbi posted:

Kammy is the Kamek from Yoshi's Island, she just transitioned at some point. I declare this lore canon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do I need to get over 100 points in the throwing star minigame for a trophy? My kid just said I did but he says lots of untrue stuff about this game. I got the one for 80 points after many many tries. I finally got like 95 on what felt like a perfect run where I was lucky and every 8 lined up perfectly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Do I need to get over 100 points in the throwing star minigame for a trophy? My kid just said I did but he says lots of untrue stuff about this game. I got the one for 80 points after many many tries. I finally got like 95 on what felt like a perfect run where I was lucky and every 8 lined up perfectly.

Yes, it's true. You're going to have to be very preemptive about where the high number targets pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Yeah, if you check the board the default high score is 99. You get a prize for beating that.