Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There's no Metroid on Switch? What have they been doing all this time with the franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Steve Yun posted:

There's no Metroid on Switch? What have they been doing all this time with the franchise

The same thing they always do with it, nothing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
but what about the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaby

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

They put out a remake for 3DS in 2017 then due to issues with outside parties the Switch Metroid had to restart from scratch sometime in late 2018.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Emulate it in dolphin and upscale it IMO.

I did this and played with K+B, game looks incredible.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I enjoyed the gently caress outta Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door back in the day. Loved it, but it’s the only Paper Mario game I’ve played. Y’all think I would enjoy Origami King? I have poverty and $60 is a lot for me.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

DC Murderverse posted:

is "get it on Wii" an option? you can't play 3 on a cube and IMO the motion controls make 1 & 2 much better.

mmmmm, why the gently caress not

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm convinced Metroid Prime 4, IF it ever appears, will be a Switch 2 cross-gen title like BOTW

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

sponges posted:

I enjoyed the gently caress outta Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door back in the day. Loved it, but it’s the only Paper Mario game I’ve played. Y’all think I would enjoy Origami King? I have poverty and $60 is a lot for me.

I would watch some gameplay of the battle system, that seems to be a big sticking point for a lot of people and if you're not gonna want to play those random encounters you're probably not gonna have a good time.

If, however, you think those are fine, then I'd encourage you to get it! I really enjoy it; the random battles are fine but the boss battles are really special, and the writing is a big step up from the last couple Paper Mario games and IMO on par with Thousand-Year Door. The world they create is really fun, the music and art design overall is amazing (the soundtrack is seriously one of the best Nintendo has ever put out), and there's plenty of content in there, you're not gonna be finishing it in a few hours and feeling like you didn't get enough game.

incidentally, I went to look up the credits of the game to see if any of the composers had worked on anything else (which I didn't really find out) and discovered that the person who wrote Origami King also wrote the past two games, but had exactly one other head writing credit to their name, which should also be making it's US debut later this year:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm convinced Metroid Prime 4, IF it ever appears, will be a Switch 2 cross-gen title like BOTW

I think Nintendo would be absolutely insane to make a new switch any time soon. they're no longer on the same cycle as the other console makers, the Switch is selling like absolute gangbusters and honestly, I feel like 3rd parties and Nintendo both still have yet to really push the thing.

Now, I could see some sort of Super Switch Dock that gives it a little more power/4k output but putting out a genuine Switch 2 would be such a terrible idea

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 26, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't believe they haven't ported Metroid Prime 1-3 to satiate the psychotic Metroid fanboys like myself and the 8 others.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DC Murderverse posted:

I think Nintendo would be absolutely insane to make a new switch any time soon. they're no longer on the same cycle as the other console makers, the Switch is selling like absolute gangbusters and honestly, I feel like 3rd parties and Nintendo both still have yet to really push the thing.

The only test will be if the visuals become too dated from the jump to next-gen, but that doesn't seem too likely. Third party wise, the system likely won't receive any AAA current gen games like The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds, and Doom due to the large power gap, but it will still receive indie hits and titles with lower spec requirements. It wouldn't surprise me too much to find out that the Switch hasn't even reached its halfway mark.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

The only test will be if the visuals become too dated from the jump to next-gen, but that doesn't seem too likely. Third party wise, the system likely won't receive any AAA current gen games like The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds, and Doom due to the large power gap, but it will still receive indie hits and titles with lower spec requirements. It wouldn't surprise me too much to find out that the Switch hasn't even reached its halfway mark.

In addition to stuff from the gen that's about to end that could be adapted to fit on the Switch, there are so many games from the PS2/GCN/XBX or 360/PS3 generation that could be ported to Switch with a slight bump in graphical quality that I don't think we'll ever run content dry from 3rd parties. I think what 2K did with the Bioshock Collection/Borderlands Collection/X-COM 2 trio is gonna happen more and more (or like what Ubisoft did with those AC games). I think we've seen enough rumblings about a Mass Effect pack for that to make sense, and that might just be the beginning. We're already at the point where no one is porting current gen AAA games to Switch (aside from weird insane things like that Doom Eternal port that I assume hasn't come out yet because every time someone tries to boot it up on a consumer Switch it explodes) but now that companies know that people will pay a Switch tax to play 5-15 year old games portably we will see more of that.

edit: Microsoft Port the Master Chief Collection to Switch Challenge (I will accept just Halo 1-3 if that's what it takes, please let me play Halo on my switch)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I can't believe they haven't ported Metroid Prime 1-3 to satiate the psychotic Metroid fanboys like myself and the 8 others.

Not porting the Pikmin series is just leaving money on the table, Nintendo. I need me some little Pikmin wandering around.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

They announced in January of 2019 that Metroid Prime 4 development had not been going well at all, so they got the game's producer to work with Retro Studios and restart development from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't really get it until 2022 or so.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/Shayalic/status/1287155823693660161

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

:hmmyes:

Social Animal posted:

I did this and played with K+B, game looks incredible.

I did VR with a DK2 Oculus and it was pretty dope.

Modern setups are even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pf7T9txKsM

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

punk rebel ecks posted:

Switch has in fact just reached it's halfway mark. Nintendo stated very clearly they want the Switch to have a 6-year (or longer) lifespan. Which is the norm for their home consoles.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

https://twitter.com/Shayalic/status/1287155823693660161

:hmmyes:

I did VR with a DK2 Oculus and it was pretty dope.

Modern setups are even better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pf7T9txKsM

This looks cool :eyepop:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE1pKOJY66U

We should get a 'Cocky Little Freaks' gangtag.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Evil Windfish isn't real
Evil Windfish can't hurt you

Evil Windfish:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh here's an entire unreleased Link sprite sheet.

Enjoy.

BIG thread in Retro games atm

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Oh here's an entire unreleased Link sprite sheet.

Enjoy.

BIG thread in Retro games atm

2020 will be the year of the new Sprite comics.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Kofu145G/status/1287174081020755969?s=19

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

...and that takes care of that!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BC is real 2401

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm glad Nintendo was smart enough to program the animals not impregnating you and vice versa.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Birth control was actually the code name for the whole series

:boom:

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Considering how much my wife plays it, it sure is! :imunfunny:

:(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I mean when you see how fast flowers spread in New Horizons you'll wish there was a specific control just for them.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Pendragon posted:

Considering how much my wife plays it, it sure is! :imunfunny:

:(

It's a portable console for a reason, bro

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skrill.exe posted:

It's a portable console for a reason, bro

The N64 was portable? :thunk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sigher posted:

The N64 was portable? :thunk:

Well not with that attitude

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This joke would actually work with just about any other series

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

OG and Super Metroid are both on Switch. Which is more Metroid than the N64 got, and arguably more Metroid than the DS got too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OG and Super Metroid are both on Switch. Which is more Metroid than the N64 got, and arguably more Metroid than the DS got too.

Metroid Prime Pinball is canon.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-warlock-of-firetop-mountain-goblin-scourge-edition-switch/
3 buck pen and paper rpg writ pixels

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Neat, if I didn't just dive into Romancing SaGa 3 that'd probably be a title I'd gamble on.

If any other goons jump on it, let me know how it is!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Technically it’s more Metroid than the NES or SNES got too.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Need help to decide what to buy in In terms of gameplay: Collection of Mana or Trials of Mana Remake?

The only Mana game I've ever played was Sword, and enjoyed it very much, and I was wondering if the jump to 3D makes it worse or better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Isn't Wii/U the winner of Metroids if we're counting ports?

If you count original titles only, DS actually wins (Pinball/Hunters/Federation Force).