Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I love the ipod label. Is it an auto or a pdk?

Looking more closely at the shifter, yeah it's actually a PDK. This makes it marginally better, but ewww....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
PDK was an upcharge. Putting aside the color, the 997.2 is comparatively rare and combines a modern powertrain (2nd year of PDK + 9A1 engine so no more IMS or oiling issues at the track) with more classic proportions

IMO the dividing line between the 911's slow transformation from sports car to GT is right there between the 997 and 991 generations. The 2009-2012 cars ought to hold their value well as the last of the 997

All of which is a long winded way of saying, I think the price is fair if the color floats your boat

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
That brown is a good color since it's loaded with metal flake almost like a really dark bronze. The front bumper looks weird though, like it either has been replaced or has PPF applied since it's the gloss doesn't match the adjoining areas.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

I love the ipod label. Is it an auto or a pdk? Was PDK an upcharge? I would take a brown PDK coupe of that year if I could find one. Lol a porsche that drives women and men away is perfect!

It's your lucky day: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1204091

I still can't decide if I should buy an aircooled 3.2 or a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. I hate the thought of depreciation, but am wary of buying a 30-40 year old car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Main thing about buying an old car is to research if parts are still available. That is my nightmare right now with the Pontiac project. Having to modify stuff from similar or newer cars as nothing is made for it. On a 911 of any age you should be good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I still can't decide if I should buy an aircooled 3.2 or a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. I hate the thought of depreciation, but am wary of buying a 30-40 year old car.

You were talking about road tripping in it I believe. If that's part of your requirements the choice is pretty obvious.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

got off on a technicality posted:

IMO the dividing line between the 911's slow transformation from sports car to GT is right there between the 997 and 991 generations. The 2009-2012 cars ought to hold their value well as the last of the 997

I think this might be true. I asked the dealer for an offer on my 2012 997.2 GTS4 and was pleasantly surprised. Also, I’ve held off on 991s because they feel much less intimate. Faster, more balanced, and with some welcome improvements, but overall just not as satisfying.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BigPaddy posted:

Main thing about buying an old car is to research if parts are still available. That is my nightmare right now with the Pontiac project. Having to modify stuff from similar or newer cars as nothing is made for it. On a 911 of any age you should be good.
Being new to Porsche, I was very surprised to learn how the vast, vast majority of parts are still available... if you're willing to pay for it. And many even continually updated even decades after their original launch. Basically the opposite of most mainstream manufacturers. Over 10 years old and you want this ~semi obscure~ part? gently caress you. Go to the wreckers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Being new to Porsche, I was very surprised to learn how the vast, vast majority of parts are still available... if you're willing to pay for it. And many even continually updated even decades after their original launch. Basically the opposite of most mainstream manufacturers. Over 10 years old and you want this ~semi obscure~ part? gently caress you. Go to the wreckers.

Yeah, it really is quite unique. An even when things get expensive/hard to get you've got a vibrant community of people with parts cars around. My 944, because I had the time, was mostly put back together with parts from people's parts cars on Rennlist. Including the entire interior.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

You were talking about road tripping in it I believe. If that's part of your requirements the choice is pretty obvious.

Yeah, it'd be nice to take the car on a long weekend/etc, but it's tough to call that a "requirement." I don't think my wife cares whether we take the fun car or one of the other cars, as long as it's reasonably comfortable. What I'd really love is a green over brown 80s 911, but that's going to be hard to find.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

Looking more closely at the shifter, yeah it's actually a PDK. This makes it marginally better, but ewww....

It's a PDK, but it's got the terrible push button shifters on the wheel. If you ever want to manually shift the PDK, I'd highly recommend budgeting a steering wheel swap to one of these

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

It's your lucky day: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1204091

Thank you it's hideous.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
On the 997.2, PDK with sport chrono is actually better because of the even/closer ratios between 2nd and 6th.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 27, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

If you were willing to pay Porsche part prices and margins, other OEMs would offer parts for longer too!

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you were willing to pay Porsche part prices and margins, other OEMs would offer parts for longer too!

Mercedes does it too. So much so it's arguably "Mercedes and everybody else" when it comes to legacy service support. Sure, specific models like the 911, Mustangs, Camaros, Wranglers, etc have great parts availability, but everything else, not so much. The 928, for instance, still has real spotty parts availability last I looked a few years ago. Mercedes, on the other hand, is still making runs of new-build W123 parts.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Porsche will sell you parts for a 356 going back to 1956.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Nissan started remaking new parts for the R32 Skyline a few years back. If there is a market someone will fill it if the OEM won’t and some of them are starting to see the money to be made in supporting their popular classics.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JLR Heritage Parts program is pretty successful too

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EnergizerFellow posted:

The 928, for instance, still has real spotty parts availability last I looked a few years ago. Mercedes, on the other hand, is still making runs of new-build W123 parts.

928 has always has spotty parts availability :) But seriously, the biggest problem in the US for 928/944/928/968 parts is that they got shipped back to Germany about 6 or 8 years ago for the most part - the dealers aren't required to stock them, PCNA isn't required to warehouse them. So they take forever to get.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in fairness who needs any part for a 20+ year old Porsche now? it's not like lead time and uptime are really big considerations as long as the part exists for you to buy

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I worked with a guy who daily drove an old TVR Griffith, he wished there was good parts availbility. In the end I believe he was let go due to a large amount of absenteeism.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone here have a good handle on 80s 911 prices? How much should I pay for an 80s coupe? Is 40k unreasonable?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Was the 100k service done? If so, that seems accurate. If it's at 90k miles, then it's 8-10k overpriced and they're trying to unload it before it needs all that work.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

Was the 100k service done? If so, that seems accurate. If it's at 90k miles, then it's 8-10k overpriced and they're trying to unload it before it needs all that work.

It’s just a general question. I’m looking at one where they’re asking 70k. Maybe that’s right?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Depends on year and condition. 88+ command a premium for the G50 transmission, and low miles in excellent condition boosts any year.

There are drivers cars from the 30s for sure.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
How dumb is it to consider buying a relatively high mile (60k-100k) 987.2 Cayman? I like the idea of it a lot, but I'm sure it's probably a stupid idea. I'm looking at a few different types of cars, but, as far as Porsche is concerned, I want either a 987.2 or 981 for less than $25-30K. However, the more I look around, the more I realize that no matter how much I have read about them, I really don't know what I should be looking for.

...also wondering how long I entertain this idea before I talk myself out of it and choose something practical for the first time in my entire life. I mean, it could happen. Theoretically.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You're closer to needing to replace higher cost wear items, but like most well built vehicles, the more they're regularly driven, the less problems they have. So as long as the price reflects the near future maintenance costs (shocks, water pumps, etc. longer term wear items), I would prefer a higher km one since there's even more guilt free driving then a low one.

Edit: Spelling and grammar +
To expand, higher km ones will be at the bottom of the depreciation curve, so the only money "lost" is the maintenance you're putting in. To an extent. If that makes sense.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 29, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Anyone have a link to a VIN decoder that will spit out an options sheet? The seller of that red cab I posted a ways back says there is no options sticker under the hood.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

https://vinanalytics.com/

That should work well. I used to have the link to the actual Porsche one but it went dead a couple years back :(

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Unfortunately it says build sheet currently unavailable there.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

Anyone have a link to a VIN decoder that will spit out an options sheet? The seller of that red cab I posted a ways back says there is no options sticker under the hood.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/VIN.html

I used this service in 2010 hope it still works :)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

This is the car in question. It's been for sale for a month and a half, starting at $14k. Being so cheap and still for sale does make me wonder if there's something wrong with it. Perhaps people just don't like the interior? I'm thinking about having it inspected by an independent garage before going out to see it as I'm not terribly local.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/butler-porsche-911-carrera-cab-manual/7161334208.html

He also sent me the following pics:

https://imgur.com/a/1qojXiP

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

willroc7 posted:

This is the car in question. It's been for sale for a month and a half, starting at $14k. Being so cheap and still for sale does make me wonder if there's something wrong with it. Perhaps people just don't like the interior? I'm thinking about having it inspected by an independent garage before going out to see it as I'm not terribly local.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/butler-porsche-911-carrera-cab-manual/7161334208.html

If the VIN they give you doesn't at least come back as the right car in the free checker on both AutoCheck and Carfax, run far and fast. I'd also make the seller give you two photos: 1) a closeup of the VIN that's readable and 2) further out of the VIN so you can still see the VIN, but also the paint/interior (to match with the rest of the car pics and color attached to the VIN).

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

EnergizerFellow posted:

If the VIN they give you doesn't at least come back as the right car in the free checker on both AutoCheck and Carfax, run far and fast. I'd also make the seller give you two photos: 1) a closeup of the VIN that's readable and 2) further out of the VIN so you can still see the VIN, but also the paint/interior (to match with the rest of the car pics and color attached to the VIN).

No, the VIN is fine. Just didn’t want to post publicly

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 2, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jackie the Mick posted:

How dumb is it to consider buying a relatively high mile (60k-100k) 987.2 Cayman? I like the idea of it a lot, but I'm sure it's probably a stupid idea. I'm looking at a few different types of cars, but, as far as Porsche is concerned, I want either a 987.2 or 981 for less than $25-30K. However, the more I look around, the more I realize that no matter how much I have read about them, I really don't know what I should be looking for.

...also wondering how long I entertain this idea before I talk myself out of it and choose something practical for the first time in my entire life. I mean, it could happen. Theoretically.

Not dumb. I've had a 981 Cayman S as well as a 987 Spyder. The engine/transmission in them is known to be pretty bulletproof. Anything you want to know?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willroc7 posted:

Interior is awful, but it's basically the price of a roller, forgetting it's a cab. An early 99 is a huge bonus.

Check it out, if it drives fine gently caress it.If it dies part it out.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My search for an air cooled car:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/1069075-72-911t-coupe-project.html

For the bargain price of 22k!

:suicide:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

A new 911 is air cooled if you drain all the coolant.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Saw this today, how very practical!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
haha they even made breakfast on the hood!