Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

StashAugustine posted:

Also "the Douma incident wasn't a gas attack" doesn't mean "Assad is blameless and literally never used gas"

nonono normal boombooms are okay and we can ignore those it is the gassy boombooms that we need to justify another middle east genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Gaupo Guacho posted:

remember when jimmy dore wasnt sure if they spoke portugese or spanish in brazil? love the extremely serious ant imperialist left

what’s the point of this comment, it’s okay to coup Spanish speaking countries but not porteguse ones? I’m pretty sure the CIA can’t tell the diff either.

Boatswain posted:

How will it perform in a confrontation with Egypt?

probably will throw a million peasants at the frontline but win in the end.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Jul 26, 2020

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

im surprised it took him over an hour to respond

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Goast posted:

nonono normal boombooms are okay and we can ignore those it is the gassy boombooms that we need to justify another middle east genocide

the problem is that gas is cruel and inhumane, unlike bullets and conventional explosives, which are pleasant and soothing to the touch

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

animist posted:

the problem is that gas is cruel and inhumane, unlike bullets and conventional explosives, which are pleasant and soothing to the touch
more to the point gas is basically useless against any military with even vaguely up to date equipment and even then its not that much better than just using conventional weapons, so everyone can safely get mad at it

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the united states, which spent a decade lobbing uranium tank rounds around, and previously nuked two cities, has Got To Enforce International Norms

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

THS posted:

the united states, which spent a decade lobbing uranium tank rounds around, and previously nuked two cities, has Got To Enforce International Norms

Then you have the use of WP...which doesn't count as a chemical weapon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is depleted uranium actually radioactive (despite being depleted) or is it just poisonous while inert? I've never heard some one clarify that

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Is depleted uranium actually radioactive (despite being depleted) or is it just poisonous while inert? I've never heard some one clarify that

depleted uranium is not radioactive but it is a dangerous heavy metal that they shoot at things and the air friction and just "passing through this thing at an incredibly high speed" friction sends particulates of it everywhere which people then breathe

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i love that the people who wont shut up about douma are the same people that would deny US biological attacks in the korean war

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Malleum posted:

depleted uranium is not radioactive but it is a dangerous heavy metal that they shoot at things and the air friction and just "passing through this thing at an incredibly high speed" friction sends particulates of it everywhere which people then breathe

quote:

The use of DU in munitions is controversial because of concerns about potential long-term health effects.[7][8] Normal functioning of the kidney, brain, liver, heart, and numerous other systems can be affected by exposure to uranium, a toxic metal.[9] It is only weakly radioactive because of the long radioactive half-life of uranium-238 (4468 million years) and the low amounts of uranium-234 (half-life about 246,000 years) and uranium-235 (half-life 700 million years). The biological half-life (the average time it takes for the human body to eliminate half the amount in the body) for uranium is about 15 days.[10] The aerosol or spallation frangible powder produced by impact and combustion of depleted uranium munitions can potentially contaminate wide areas around the impact sites, leading to possible inhalation by human beings.[11]

The actual level of acute and chronic toxicity of DU is also controversial. Several studies using cultured cells and laboratory rodents suggest the possibility of leukemogenic, genetic, reproductive, and neurological effects from chronic exposure.[7] A 2005 epidemiology review concluded: "In aggregate the human epidemiological evidence is consistent with increased risk of birth defects in offspring of persons exposed to DU."[12]

-------------------------

One particular subgroup of veterans that may be at higher risk comprises those who have internally retained fragments of DU from shrapnel wounds. A laboratory study on rats produced by the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute showed that, after a study period of 6 months, rats treated with depleted uranium coming from implanted pellets, comparable to the average levels in the urine of Desert Storm veterans with retained DU fragments, had developed a significant tendency to lose weight with respect to the control group.[136]

Substantial amounts of uranium were accumulating in their brains and central nervous systems, and showed a significant reduction of neuronal activity in the hippocampus in response to external stimuli. The conclusions of the study show that brain damage from chronic uranium intoxication is possible at lower doses than previously thought. Results from computer-based neurocognitive tests performed in 1997 showed an association between uranium in the urine and "problematic performance on automated tests assessing performance efficiency and accuracy."[137]

Yeah and it was probably responsible for both Gulf War syndrome and a multitude of health effects on the Iraqi population over multiple generations.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Jul 27, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

plz ignore the actual OPCW investigators and whistleblowers who literally went to douma as part of the OPCW mission saying that the western narrative was manufactured and instead listen to the internet journalists funded by the cia so you can get a stiffy at big daddy trump bombing browns

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1287731552785334273
Is that good

e:
Lmao
https://twitter.com/LizSly/status/1287781417510940672

sum has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Jul 27, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1286791067099111425

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oooohhhhh he’s steppin in it now!!!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/DavidADaoud/status/1287776220374020097?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Justaskingquestionscat

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Depleted doesn't mean decayed. It's still radioactive. Fully decayed uranium is lead. In nature, what's called "uranium" contains 99% of uranium-238, 0.7% of uranium-235, and a very small amount of uranium-234 (0.006%). Depleted uranium shell are made of uranium-238.
Uranium-235 has a half-life of over 700 million years. It's fissible and radio-active. Uranium 238 isn't fissible (which means it cannot sustain a chain reaction in a thermal-neutron reactor or, you know, a bomb) but you can use it to make Plutonium. Uranium 238 half-life is 4.4 billion years and it's why it's radioactivity is weaker than Uranium 235. You can imagine why it's not the ideal for ammunition.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Jul 27, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Depleted doesn't mean decayed. It's still radioactive. Fully decayed uranium is lead. In nature, what's called "uranium" contains 99% of uranium-238, 0.7% of uranium-235, and a very small amount of uranium-234 (0.006%). Depleted uranium shell are made of uranium-238.
Uranium-235 has a half-life of over 700 million years. It's fissible and radio-active. Uranium 238 isn't fissible (which means it cannot sustain a chain reaction in a thermal-neutron reactor or, you know, a bomb) but you can use it to make Plutonium. Uranium 238 half-life is 4.4 billion years and it's why it's radioactivity is weaker than Uranium 235. You can imagine why it's not the ideal for ammunition.

Is the radiation itself dangerous or just the fact that its poisonous? (Not questioning if its dangerous, just want to get the chemistry clear)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

Is the radiation itself dangerous or just the fact that its poisonous? (Not questioning if its dangerous, just want to get the chemistry clear)

I think the bigger issue is that its a heavy metal and people are breathing it in/having it be omnipresent in their destroyed country.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Jul 27, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StashAugustine posted:

U238 experiences alpha decay so getting any of it inside you is a fun combination of radiation and heavy metal poisoning

really just best to get absolutely 0 atoms of it inside you

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

There are several types of radiation (alpha decay, beta decay and gamma decay and neutron radiations) that can happen with nuclear material. Depleted uranium only cause alpha radiations. Alpha radiations can be stopped with paper. Beta with aluminium, Gamma by lead. Alpha decay/radiation can damage dna. Alpha are arguably the radiations which killed Marie Curie. That or/and x-ray poisoning. Polonium generates alpha radiation.

Also yeah, the heavy metal tend to poison the water, the free extra radiation cancer is just the cherry on the cake.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jul 27, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

more egregiously, assad stores his vx gas in the unstable and dangerous "string of pearls" formation

but for vx gas

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Truga posted:

but for vx gas

dont tell me what to do

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ZaatarOuZeit/status/1287781848471359488?s=19

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

That's gold.

Any other source on that though? I wanna confirm completely before lmboing to the max.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Haha we are hosed

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1288157579923816448?s=21

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
sorry about your dying country Al-Saqr
the good news is about a week after the Saudi state implodes you'll get to have some great schadenfreude watching my dying country implode

animist
Aug 28, 2018
you get a failed state! you get a failed state! everybody gets a failed state!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
mecca and medina shall now be administrated by the houthis

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
inshallah the disrespecters of the prophets household will be driven from the holy cities
forever and ever ameen

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

inshallah the disrespecters of the prophets household will be driven from the holy cities
forever and ever ameen

Hey how about just people live peacefully together bruv

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
i don't think the houthis are actually likely to conquer the Hejaz anytime soon.
and my ironic shia-posting is mostly just channeling my realworld irritation at how seriously i have to take this conversion for my inlaws

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

mecca and medina shall now be administrated by the houthis

The erection of Shia shrines in Hejaz would be the most 2020 thing to happen, really.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

drat, guess they gonna privatize everything and cut all subsisdies

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Maybe this means we won't even ever have a Neom ghost city :(

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
no cloned trexes wandering the desert, traveling only by the light shed by artificial moons
a tragedy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just wanted to go skiing in Riyadh was that too much to ask

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
been listening to shia music lately... i really like it. not getting involved in any religious disputes. peace and love to all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hmcO27y-s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

On a more lighter note American and Chinese Embassies in the Middle East (in this case Kuwait) are busy having a twitter slapfight in Arabic over which of their technology companies are worse spies on middle easterners than the other, with American embassies calling out huawei while china is calling out the American PRISM surveillance program.

https://twitter.com/chinaembkuwait/status/1288413989526003712?s=21

Kinda rules how there’s two superpowers working hard to convince us whether it’s better that a Chinese worker in Chongqing or an American worker in Wyoming gets to look at our Dick Pics and put it on a server.