Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Melo is open in the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAqET-sjbE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Playoff update might be a bit late. Remember when I said "depending on errands and heat"?

So my air conditioner broke, and I can't exactly get out to get a new one since I rely on public transportation. Using a fan, I can get my room down to about 85⁰F, bit it's frequently up to 95⁰F.

So..... I'm spending less time in there, choosing to spend time in the parts of my house that are still air conditioned. (And no, I can't just move the working air conditioner. My room for some dumb reason has casement windows, so I can only use a portable A/C.) Should have someone helping me to get a new one soon.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

No problem, hope it works out!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
1xA/C get

Did most of the playoffs already. Even though my current opponent matches up with me really well, I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed if we don't win out.

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008
If Lowtax keeps going crazy tonight is there a backup forum? I love this LP, don't want it to get lost because of his poo poo

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

eyebrow posted:

If Lowtax keeps going crazy tonight is there a backup forum? I love this LP, don't want it to get lost because of his poo poo

Thanks! I'm always pleasantly surprised by all the support and positivity readers bring to this thread, especially when I feel like my own energy is frequently negative.

To answer your question, possibly the Beach. I rely pretty heavily on Lpix for now, but I have all my images saved onto my PC, too. So I don't want to migrate, but I could, if push came to shove.

Playoffs are finished, so expect an update tonight or early tomorrow morning. Expect unforseen heroism, kicking demons straight back into hell, and an ancient prophecy coming to fruition.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Would anyone else be keen to discuss the next (and final) two expansion teams? I am not saying that we/he should expand the league right now, or even soon, but I think that it would be a fun diversion. I assumed that the league had no size limit, but now that I know that it's a hard 36 I am kind of keen to think about the next round of expansion. Personally, I think that we should add two teams properly out West and move the T-wolves to the Eastern Conference. Minneapolis is basically dead north of New Orleans and both are west of the Mississippi, but NO is close to a number of other WC teams while Minnesota is not even remotely close to any WC teams but a number of EC ones.

More specifically, I was wondering about the viability of St. Louis for a team. St. Louis has an MLB team, an NHL team, and they ?had? an NFL team, so it seems like a strong market.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Would anyone else be keen to discuss the next (and final) two expansion teams? I am not saying that we/he should expand the league right now, or even soon, but I think that it would be a fun diversion. I assumed that the league had no size limit, but now that I know that it's a hard 36 I am kind of keen to think about the next round of expansion. Personally, I think that we should add two teams properly out West and move the T-wolves to the Eastern Conference. Minneapolis is basically dead north of New Orleans and both are west of the Mississippi, but NO is close to a number of other WC teams while Minnesota is not even remotely close to any WC teams but a number of EC ones.

More specifically, I was wondering about the viability of St. Louis for a team. St. Louis has an MLB team, an NHL team, and they had an NFL team, so it seems like a strong market.
St. Louis also had a successful basketball team back in the early days of the NBA, which relocated to the current Atlanta Hawks in the late 60's.

They also had an ABA team for a couple years in the mid-70's, though the most notable thing about the St. Louis ABA team is the :wtf: fact that the NBA agreed to hand them around 2% of the league's annual TV revenues in perpetuity (i.e., forever) to fold their franchise which was already on the verge of bankruptcy. It's generally estimated that the total value of the deal (including the price the NBA eventually paid to get out of it) was somewhere around $800 million dollars over 40 years for, worth repeating, folding a lovely failing franchise in a league that was about to collapse. It's widely considered to be the greatest deal in the history of US professional sports and one of the most incredible business deals ever made in any industry.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Holy poo poo. How did I never hear of that one.

Anyhow, it's not too early to talk about potential destinations, or about moving teams, or about rebranding teams. I was actually gonna bring up the Clippers.

Does anyone have an era of Clippers they're attached to? Most of their jerseys have been the same for basically ever, but their current floor in game is still celebrating their 50th anniversary, which is asinine. I could move or rebrand them, too, but I am, at minimum, reskinning them.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Anyhow, it's not too early to talk about potential destinations, or about moving teams, or about rebranding teams. I was actually gonna bring up the Clippers.

Does anyone have an era of Clippers they're attached to? Most of their jerseys have been the same for basically ever, but their current floor in game is still celebrating their 50th anniversary, which is asinine. I could move or rebrand them, too, but I am, at minimum, reskinning them.

Does the game include/have a mod for the original 3 sails logo? Might as well go old school if they're stuck in the 50 years celebration.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

I actually would approve of the Clippers going back to San Diego with a new coat of paint because, frankly, I think that having two pro teams at least nominally in the same city in the same league is bloody stupid. I realise that they were the Buffalo Braves before then and that Buffalo does have both an NFL and NHL teams, but San Diego makes sense because it's a big market, nearby and they were originally named the Clippers due to the sailing ships in San Diego harbour. While moving is fine, I don't want to add another team in California because there are too bloody many as-is. I actually like St. Louis and Kansas City as new Western teams (obvious rivalry) with Minnesota moving to the East, but I also like the idea of Anchorage, assuming that they can be financially competitive, since this game doesn't model travel fatigue. I must admit that there are a lot more viable locations east of the Mississippi than west of it, but the west is so spread out that I want to make it more dense. All three possible Canadian cities have teams now, so more "northern expansion" isn't possible outside of Alaska. I'm actually disappointed in the options for Canada because, while Toronto, Montréal and Vancouver are in order the three largest population centres in the country, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa are all 1,000,000+ metro areas and could be decent expansion sites.

MagusofStars posted:

St. Louis also had a successful basketball team back in the early days of the NBA, which relocated to the current Atlanta Hawks in the late 60's.

They also had an ABA team for a couple years in the mid-70's, though the most notable thing about the St. Louis ABA team is the :wtf: fact that the NBA agreed to hand them around 2% of the league's annual TV revenues in perpetuity (i.e., forever) to fold their franchise which was already on the verge of bankruptcy. It's generally estimated that the total value of the deal (including the price the NBA eventually paid to get out of it) was somewhere around $800 million dollars over 40 years for, worth repeating, folding a lovely failing franchise in a league that was about to collapse. It's widely considered to be the greatest deal in the history of US professional sports and one of the most incredible business deals ever made in any industry.

I knew that the Hawks were in St. Louis for a while after the war before moving to Atlanta, but I did not know about the ABA team or the deal, which is incredible. Kind of proud of them for pulling off such a con.

Jacques Dominique Wilkins was one of the most forgotten dominant players ever. I've realised that NBA fans are morons and if someone didn't win at least one ring, then everyone assumes that they must be poo poo. Karl Malone was a 2-time MVP and nobody talks about him, but then again modern "fans" do nothing but slobber over MJ and Lebron, so they can't be that smart.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

MagusofStars posted:

One other fun fact about the ABA/NBA merger is that the owner of the Kentucky Colonels, instead of accepting a similar deal he took a straight cash buyout of $3 million. He then used that money to buy...The Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers. Truly a cursed franchise.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll check out options for the Clippers during the offseason, since said offseason is likely to be a two parter.

Also, since I can't think of where else to put it, I'm just making a note here that since the Bulls are in the playoffs, that means that the team with the longest dry spell is the Toronto Raptors who haven't had a playoff berth since 2022

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHAPTER 16, 2030-2031, Part 4, Playoffs

Injuries going into the playoffs are fairly sparse:

Though, three of these are big deals. Markannen was back in his "sixth man of the year" form for Detroit, and would have likely won again (he backs up Bazley) if Harry Francis didn't exist. Doug Sims is one of the best players in a young Chicago squad trying to gel together, and Samuel Soto is the starting point guard of (and arguably best player for) the Clippers. Denis Kolomak is good, but very replaceable for Indiana.

I was not looking forward to these guys. The Nuggets have been a tough draw for us a few times now, and while we've come out ahead, I've always gotten a sense it could go either way. The first four guys on their side are all legitimate scoring threats, and Mitchell Robinson is some kind of nightmare demon that stifles the productivity of my bigs.

Also, what the hell do I have to do to get a better home court advantage? I've won more championships this decade than anyone!

Anyhow, I said the Nuggets cause us a lot of problems, and this year is no different. The only one of my bigs that gets anything going in the first few games is B.J. Lawrence, and even then, it's by virtue of being so deep on my rotation that he's not playing directly against Robinson, and by "gets anything going", I mean, "he scored like, 6 points a couple of times." The series against the Nuggets is held down by Cisse, Windler, and Eminescu, and once again, this franchise plays the Honu to 7 games.

In game seven, my big men seemingly all come to life at once, and all three of my important bigs put up their best game of the series, uniting to finally dispatch this menace to the bowels of the hell from whence it came.

(Pictured: Bol Bol Kicks one of the demons, Rui Hachimura, back into the hell-pit that spawned him)

(Not really, of course. That was the end result of a Bol dunk, not Bol kicking Hachimura. I was a bit miffed that Bol didn't get an And-one, given that Rui didn't get his rear end out of Bol's safe landing space. Did you really think Bol would just up and kick another player in the face? No one would actually do that.

There's a much more competitive playoffs happening this year than last. Even the 1v8 series in the West goes to 6 games, as the Kings' top-heavy excellence repeatedly frustrates the Lakers' depth before eventually getting ground down. The Clippers have one of the only easy series against the Pelicans, in five, and the Suns go a full seven games against the Ravens before finally emerging victors. The Ravens excellent shooting guard rotation is enough to cause problems for Devin Booker, but there's not really anyone on Vancouver who can deal with the newly rented Todor Szomory. I have to figure the Kings wish they still had him; they'd have probably beaten the Lakers if they did.

Out East, things are more interesting. Without the extra scoring threat Stewart Hampton was providing, the Knicks only drop a single game to last year's Eastern Conference Champions, before running them out of the gym. The Wizards' Celtics series is intriguingly balanced, with the 1/2 punch of the Wizards' Bam Adebayo and Brandon Ingram being a reflection of the new Eastern duo of Dorrell Mills and DeAndre Ayton. That series goes to seven games, and is ultimately decided by the Celtics' promising young Point Guard, Oscar Knox. Let's see if the AI is smart enough to match his contract, because he's clearly a key piece in their roster. (I bet they won't, the AI in this game is pathetic garbage). There's a similar war brewing in the Midwest, as, after the first game of the Detroit/Indiana series, Marvin Bagley III breaks his nose. If anything, the pain makes him more focused, and while they play out seven games, the masked Bagley is excellent throughout, finally winning when Darius Garland gets himself into playoff form. Miami sweeps Chicago effortlessly. Was the difference there the lack of Doug Simms?

Naw.
An all-star selection last year, currently on a rental to Miami instead of a full contract (because the AI is stupid and pathetic. Because OVR is stupid, pathetic, and outdated), Terence Teague becomes the talk of the playoffs during his series, putting some truth to the name "Heat". Coming off the bench in the first game, and then never again, Teague reminds an adoring Miami audience of what kind of performance he's capable of. Let's check out the actual figures.

That's over four games? Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesuuuuuu--- (hey, wait, let's check out the advanced stats on that for funsies)

---------us Christ. (League average PER is always 15. A season of "30" would be an MVP season. 4 games is really limited sample size, clearly, but the short explanation is "Terrence Teague won an entire playoff series by himself"

Our next matchup puts us head-to-head with our wayward son, Craig Payton, and the young, exciting team of promising or already excellent players that he's chosen to surround himself with. Minus, of course, the better of their two point guards, but Wil Ingram is a recent #1 pick, and not someone I'm ready to write off. If they have a clear weakness, it's at Center, with the young Brazillian Vitor Vitti given one hell of a matchup in just his rookie season.

Having a deficiency at Center is the worst possible place you can be weak when you're facing Honolulu. Imagine 4 games like that out of Harry Francis, and you'll get the idea. Actually, this was his lowest rebounding game of the series. Poor Vitti got injured in game 2. Wait. This feels...

Veryslightlymad posted:

Then I go on the clock again, and the Clippers offer me an absolutely baffling trade:

Last year's #4 pick that they've apparently given up on (despite his A+ potential), plus a future second round draft pick. A+ potential and he averaged 12.2 and 6.4 last year----he didn't play very many games. They're gonna regret throwing this poor kid in the garbage.
:sickos: YES! The prophecy is fulfilled! Witness 1000 more years of darkness, foolish Clippers!

Also worth noting in that first game, Herbert Curry got three times as many rebounds as he did during the entirety of the regular season. Playoff Curry is real. (F'real, though, he was consistently a reliable shooter and a corner threat that would actually go to the corner to shoot his threes. Curry was excellent for us and Iunno how deep we'd have gotten without him)

For all the hype of playing against Payton, the series against the Clippers was, of course, a sweep

The Lakers manage to hold a 6 game series against the Suns, despite having no answer for Szomory in the middle, the young Hungarian Center would likely be the playoff MVP if such an award existed, and, you know, the Eastern Conference didn't.

Which probably makes it sound like Terence Teague kept going off, and, well, he did. The Heat actually blew out the Knicks on game 1, and I started to get a little terrified, because even before Teague started going nuts, they were my #1 most feared team in that conference. However, New York wins the next four in a row, at best containing Teague to a couple of games of 16 points on 50/50 shooting. If this weren't a simulation game with AI obsessed with OVR rating, this would be the birth of a superstar.

But he's not the only legend to come out of this series. In the Boston/Indiana series, the titans of DeAndre Ayton and Marvin Bagley III go to war, trading performances of 20 points and 12 plus rebounds, before a stray elbow catches Bagley in the face again, aggravating his existing broken nose.

.......and making him ANGRY.

The masked man obliterated the Celtics, smothering perennial MVP candidate Ayton and holding him to just 8 points in the sixth game of the series, and advancing the Pacers to the Eastern conference finals.

As if these guys weren't annoying enough before, they've gone ahead and added Todor Szomory, who is just absolutely frustrating to deal with. With 99 in both rebounding attributes, and gold badges in Worm, Box Out, Moving Truck, and Brick Wall, the Hungarian is basically everything you could want in a traditional center, and he gives our big guys absolute fits trying to get one over on. Games against the Suns this season are absolute scrums.

And if this wasn't a video game that I had a vested interest in one of the two teams winning, I would be all for that nonsense. I love ugly basketball (when it's ugly because of effort. Televised games where both teams suck ought to be a war crime). We are carried by steady production from the likes of Curry, Windler, and B.J. Lawrence (again, not having to deal with the other team's best center because he's so deep on the bench), and finally Jacque Cisse in game 6, when he wakes up, remembers how to play basketball, and drops 26 7 and 7 to put this team away.

Not shown: the WCF trophy ceremony, because I actually gave up while watching game 6, told it to simulate to end of game, and won.

Meanwhile, out East, the Knicks/Pacers series at this point in time is tied at 3 games apiece. This is mildly alarming to me, because the Pacers are the team that frightened me the most after the Heat, (despite their 7th seed and the Heat's 5th seed), but also because my theory for how I was going to handle the Knicks (Start Francis. Me big. Zion small. Ook ook) doesn't really hold water if he's able to hang with a consistent MVP candidate like Marvin Bagley III, and, while he's far from shutting down Bagley, he's still out there posting Zion numbers, not really giving a poo poo.

.......that is, until Bagley's nose heals before Game 7, and during the opening tip he drops a 10,000 pound face mask onto the floor like Piccolo's weighted cloak or whatever [citation needed] and effortlessly demolishes Zion.

Look at that poo poo. That is the MVP OF THE LEAGUE right there, reduced to a child by a real center. I take a brief bit to feel smug about how my plan to deal with the Knicks would have totally worked, but...

I did not want this matchup. No, sir, I did not want it. There is no sound reason a team as good as the Pacers were a seventh seed.

The Honu, as I have come to realize, have three types of players that give us trouble fairly consistently.
A)Elite centers who can defend and rebound, regardless of if they can score, since they make Bol and Harry look mortal.
B)Really, really fast guards who can score and pass. Generally, teams need two of these since Cisse can handle one
C)Really big oversized guards who can score. Eminescu can sort-of handle players like this, but my preferred starting duo of Cisse and Floyd suffer when they're asked to guard a guy six inches taller than either of them.

The Pacers have Darius Garland, who is type B, maybe even the second-best in the league at it after Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, and Marvin Bagley III, who is type A, and honestly, even moreso, because he has the added nuisance of being able to score from anywhere. Much like Bol, Bagley has developed into a 90+ rated three point shooter. It turns out, those are annoying to deal with. Sorry, rest of the league. Worse, Bagley's back-up is Daniel Gafford, who has also developed into an elite rebounding center who also can defend. And Michael Torres, to cap it all off, while only being a sophomore player, is a muscular 6'6 shooting guard who looks aggressive on offense. It's a perfect bloody poo poo storm, and I am legitimately worried about being the team on the opposite side of the first even 7th seed to win a championship. That'd be embarrassing.

Indiana manages to keep the game tied at Halftime of Game 1:

(Also note something stupid I never talked about : William Floyd by no means had anywhere near 22 assists in this, or any game. 2k, in it's big list of "is a loving garbage fire that the developers don't care about" has, for the entire time its been playable, had a glitch where the assist total on the bottom team's top performers at half time will always display the player's point total instead. In every. Single. Game. Think about how loving stupid and broken and lazy that poo poo is. To find this glitch, 2k would have had to play a single game to half time. This is every game. Think of however many people own NBA 2k20 and have seen this glitch and said something about it, because it is literally every single game, and 2k has done nothing. They're already advertising 2k21. Odds are even the bug remains there, too. What a scummy, money-grabbing pile of poo poo company)

Anyhow, going into the series, I figured that, well, while they hit my main two weaknesses (twice, in the case of the elite centers), the Honu have serious depth. Also, while Torres hits my third major weakness, he's still in just his second year, so unless he decides to break-out, I should be fine. Torres, of course, immediately breaks out, and drops 36 points on me in game 1 to steal home court advantage for Indiana. Oh, I also learn, to my horror, that not only is Torres one of those big guards that I have trouble with, he's also lightning fast, and I have legitimately no one who can deal with a guy who is both. Joshua Carr really needs to step up his development. (Plus he's an excellent passer. Hey, remember when Michael Torres was the consensus #1 pick, and then the Clippers drafted Wil Ingram, a guy that is currently their back-up point guard?)

So yeah, the Pacers are kind of a big deal. I at least manage to split my home series before heading into the World's most annoying arena. (Seriously. There's like, stupid race car sounds during fast breaks, and discordant, off-key organ music continually piped in like it's a bloody Hockey or baseball game.)

I finally get a decent performance out of one of my bigs, and coupled with high (but inefficient) scoring from my back court, regain my home court advantage. I also win Game 4 to make the series 3-1, and give me a chance to put it away in Honolulu, once and for all.

An idea which is promptly thrown directly into the garbage by William Floyd.

Infuriatingly, he's probably that game's top performer, too, by the numbers. But I was up in the fourth, before the Pacers went on just an absolutely ridiculous run to score something like 30 points to my 8 in the back two thirds of the fourth. Check the quarter numbers. We ground out to in front, and then Floyd first started taking all kinds of bad shots, not passing like he was still in his misguided youth, and then after I was down again with a growing deficit, and I wanted the little bastard to shoot, and he was open, he started throwing boneheaded passes to guys who were not in position to score. Windler was 4-4 over three quarters and 4-10 by the final bell.

I gave serious consideration to benching him. Like, completey. Just stuffing him on the edge of the Honolulu Bench to hold his head and look sad, while living or dying by the rest of my team. But.... I kept looking at his numbers and Cisse's gently caress up numbers, and Greene's numbers (even though Floyd was likely the cause of Greene's bad numbers), and couldn't justify it. If I benched Floyd, I had to bench them all. But then I had an epiphany. It'd been building for the entire season. Maybe longer than a season. Steady performance for years, a surprising all-star appearance, the sixth man of the year award, completely winning the series against the Clippers by himself.... it was Harry's time. Plus, the Honu have struggled against teams with a dominant defensive center, because he'll stifle Bol, and then Francis, but B.J. Lawrence, who isn't as good as either, would be fine, because he wouldn't face the same coverage. (This was less true against the Pacers, since they have Gafford, so BJ sat this series)..... But if I slid Bol to power forward and just started Harry, then the defensive center couldn't guard both. You know, actually play my five best players instead of having one come off the bench. I know, it sounds pretty crazy, right?

But yeah, that way, no one would be stuck at the end of my bench, feeling sad. Like this guy:

HI FRANKIE! .....Aw, what's wrong? Whatcha thinking about, buddy? Were you remembering all the good times you had on your opponent's team, but how the two years you were there were the two they didn't win a title, and now that you're on a different team, and back in the NBA Finals, your new team is down 20 points, and your old team look to win it again, and the only reason you don't have a championship ring is the cold cruel unpredictability of fate?

TOO BAD.

WE DID IT. AGAIN. Harry Francis is awesome! Everything is awesome! I didn't blow a 3-1 lead in the finals to a 7th seed.

Dylan gets to hold it this time. This is cathartic, he's done so much for us for so long, and I think this is the first time he's actually gotten here as our starting small forward? Hard to say. We have oh so many championships now.

God, Harry is tall. For giggles, compare this image to the one from last year's championship, where the guy in the back is Cisse, and you can't even see him. This time, we had a better photographer.

....someone get Jacque a ride home, though. He's.... a bit out of it.

HELL YEAH. That's the first time anyone has gone back-to-back in thirteen years. I'd say we're pretty clearly a dynasty at this point. We've won half of all championships in the last 8 years. I half expect to see Francis as the Finals MVP, given his OK scoring and consistently big rebounding numbers, including in the final game, but, sure enough:

3.2 blocks per game. Goddamn. Yeah, OK, Bol is still the captain of this ship.

These guys all retire. Klay almost did the whole career under one team thing, but decided to go to San Antonio to help them not make the playoffs.

Mike Budenholzer retires out of shame of being unable to make the playoffs when Giannis is still playing basketball in Milwaukee.

These two make the hall of fame. I'm briefly miffed that Klay didn't, but check his awards, and he's only a 5 time All-Star, and like, has two (three?) All-NBA appearances. So, taking out the championships (which you probably shouldn't), his resume is quite a bit thinner than guys we've seen go outside of the Hall, like Jimmy Butler, LaMarcus Aldridge, etc. It's hard by this game's logic to include him. Also, it's hard by real logic to include him when loving Chauncey Billups and Shawn Marion aren't in the hall yet in real life. :argh:

But who cares about those turds.

After 15 years in the NBA, and at 39 years old, Delon Wright has decided to call it a career. An original member of the Honu, Delon started with this young franchise all the way back during the expansion draft, and played over a decade with us, first as our sixth man, and then aging gracefully into an end-of-the-bench role, and role model to our younger players. He was always ready to step into a game when his number was called.

His career figures don't really say a whole lot about why he was such a steady presence on this team, or what the franchise saw in him, but career numbers don't usually tell the whole story.

His per 36 numbers give a much better idea. Delon, throughout his career, was always productive for us, and he was productive by every statistical measure. The Honu kept Wright around forever simply because he didn't have any real holes in his game. He wasn't a perfect player, but he was an extremely reliable player. Of course, there's one other stat that matters:

Delon Wright leaves behind the NBA as a five time Champion, having scored four with the Honu. This is the entirety of the awards he won as a player. Somehow, I think he's OK with it. I'm going to check the jersey retirements, and I know he's not there, but I'll feel sad about it. Not angry. Just sad. I have something else to make me angry:

Yep. But there's Kawhi Leonard, four years of doing jack poo poo for the Clippers, number retired forever off of their team. You know who doesn't get a number retired?

CJ McCollum gave eighteen years of his life to one franchise and averaged 17.6 points and 3.5 assists for the career, and nothing. Between this and the Lillard fiasco last season, the TrailBlazers look like the most ungrateful franchise in sports history. But more importantly, this was the retirement I was watching to see how 2k valued this stuff.

And they don't value it. At all. It's only awards. That's it. That's the only thing they could possibly value. It's the most empty, hollow, star-loving bullshit it could be. 2k does not loving get it. They don't value their players, they don't value their employees, they don't understand what makes a good simulation, and they don't understand sports. A franchise like the Lakers would never, ever retire LeBron's number unless he actually got them a few more banners for the Staples Center. A franchise as woeful as the Clippers might retire Kawhi's number after a brief fling of all-star appearances, if only because the franchise has been so historically bad for so very long. But most teams do not give two shits about guys who were there for less than 5 years, made a bunch of all star games and never sniffed a title. Teams don't retire jerseys for rentals on all-stars who got their accomplishments with another team. Allen Iverson's 3 hangs in Philadelphia, but not in Denver. You know who teams do retire numbers for? Nick Collison, Zydrunas Ilgauskas. I'll lay down a cool grand that says by 2025, the Heat retire #40 for Udonis Haslem. These guys give their entire careers* to a team. (*not literally in Big Z's case) None of them were as productive as this version of CJ McCollum. If the real world CJ turns into this player, his jersey would be retired, no questions asked, and fans would cry at the ceremony.

But 2k is a heartless company that cares about awards and star-loving. gently caress NBA 2k.

But the worst part is, it's one of the very few things you can't control as a player. I've harped on this before, and I'll harp on it again. As a player, I don't have the freedom to retire my own players' Jerseys. Not if they retire for the team, not if they retire elsewhere. No matter how long they play for me, or what they accomplish. Either the algorithm retires their number, or nothing does. And worse, I can't override a bad decision, like the Clippers Kawhi, or the Lakers LeBron decisions. It's just.... this weird loving design choice that's anti-player. It doesn't cause any hardship, it just hurts your feelings, like breaking one of your dead grandmother's knick-knacks. Even if I wanted to retire Delon's number, I just can't. I can't retire Dylan Windler's number. I can't retire William Floyd's number.

But we'll always remember what you did, buddy.
(Pictured, the 2030-2031 Honolulu Honu
Back Row: William Floyd, Gheorghe Filimon, Herbert Curry, Gheorghe Eminescu, Delon Wright
Front Row: Donta Greene, Jacque Cisse, Dylan Windler, Finals MVP Bol Bol, Harry Francis
Not Pictured: Bernie Lawrence, Joshua Carr, Luka Samanic, B.J. Lawrence
)

I feel like Bol is asking who farted, and Windler, laughing, is thumbing toward Herbert Curry.

The 76ers win the draft lottery. The Voyageurs jump from 12th overall pick to 2nd, which could go a long way to making an already promising young team into a legit threat.

Miami, already good, also gets a top 10 pick, and Milwaukee doesn't get a key draft piece when they almost assuredly need it most. Minnesota intriguingly has three picks at different parts of the first round.

I go into staff signing and...

What the living gently caress. Why would you do that? Durant got you to the playoffs. To prevent Vancouver, or anyone, from signing Henderson again, I go into his stats and edit literally everything to an F and then fire him.

They promptly hire this guy, who was an expired head coach for one of the two new expansion teams. I'll have to wait until the start of next season to see if he's also glitched, but knowing this souless money-grabbing trashfire of a company, I'd have to assume so. If he is, he'll also get the F-f-f-f-Fired treatment. And I'll probably re-sign Durant for four years, as that was going well.

:siren: Not really a vote, voting time :siren:

The Honu have something next-to useless, like the 66th pick in the draft. I do need warm bodies on my roster, and maybe a fringe rotational player. Going into next season, I have between 2-3 point guards, 1 or 2 shooting guards, 3-5 small forwards, 1 or 2 power forwards (as I am moving Bol there permanently. It worked out very well, solves my "constantly worrying about Greene" problem, and also will inject some new life into Bol's Career as he ages), and 2* Centers.

*one or two. But can anyone give me a good reason to not sign B.J. Lawrence to a 5 year deal?

So unless there are any major objections, I intend to take either the best looking big guard or pass-friendly power forward. If you do have an objection, now's the time to voice it.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 29, 2020

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Delon Wright's number will always be retired in my heart! I don't have any objection to what you want to do in the draft.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Regarding the Clippers, I'm on board with moving them back to San Diego and returning their old looks. I mean, the NBA is horrible about making names match the cities (see: Utah Jazz), but Clippers makes a hell of a lot more sense in a naval city like San Diego anyways. And really, LA has never embraced the Clippers the way they do the Lakers (even now, when they're finally successful), so let's make them the pride of San Diego rather than "oh yeah, they also exist" like they are in LA.

Regarding retirements and Hall of Fame:
-Klay Thompson is making the real-life Hall of Fame. If he retired today, he might be a coin-flip, but if we give him 3-4 more years of performance, he's absolutely in. Not a first-ballot guy, but his numbers and impact compare favorably to a lot of guys who are already in, plus his three (or more?) championships.
-Jersey retirements are far more about what the fans think of you than your actual performance and NBA2K clearly doesn't understand this. Since you mentioned Kawhi, if he doesn't win a title this year or next year and leaves, he probably wouldn't get his jersey retired by the Clips (especially if the departure was on bad terms). Hell, he was wildly successful in San Antonio and might have to wait a few years for a Spurs jersey retirement just because of the fan anger at the way he left. By comparison, a dude like Tristan Thompson isn't even remotely on Kawhi's level in terms of talent, but is getting his jersey retired by the Cavaliers ASAP once he retires because he's played 600+ games with the Cavs, was part of the 2016 title, and the fanbase loves him. Seriously, the NBA2K developers need to go to an NBA game sometime and look at the jerseys hanging in the rafters - of course there's the NBA legends like Jordan, Kareem, etc, but there's also dudes like Derek Harper where it's basically a lifetime achievement award for sticking with the same franchise long enough.
-In the real world, not only would Delon Wright get his jersey retired by the Honu without hesitation, he would even get some token discussion for the Hall of Fame. He wouldn't actually get votes, but five titles and the per-36 numbers would definitely make him the subject of a couple think pieces like "Should glue guys like Delon Wright be in the Hall of Fame?" and "Does the Hall of Fame overvalue raw numbers and undervalue real impact? Delon Wright's case as a sixth man".

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 29, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Regarding the Clippers, I'm on board with moving them back to San Diego and returning their old looks. I mean, the NBA is horrible about making names match the cities (see: Utah Jazz), but Clippers makes a hell of a lot more sense in a naval city like San Diego anyways. And really, LA has never embraced the Clippers the way they do the Lakers (even now, when they're finally successful), so let's make them the pride of San Diego rather than "oh yeah, they also exist" like they are in LA.

I almost put this in my last post, but I will back you on the Utah "Jazz" issue and I say that as someone who loved Malone & Stockton. I actually quite like the name Pelicans, but I would be in favour of returning the Jazz name to New Orleans and calling them the Utah Polygamists or something. I apologise if the piss-take bothers anyone, but I used to live in Mormon country and, as a Jew, that was not a comfortable place to be.

VSM, I also wanted to extend my condolences on you not having a choice regarding Hall of Fame entrants or jersey retirements. I assumed that you could not override rules changes, including expansion, and when I found out otherwise I assumed that retirements and HoF choices were also up to you if you wished to override the in-game decisions. My sympathies.

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011
I have to guess that you can't pick number retirements because someone decided to try and retire all of the numbers and the game broke because there weren't enough numbers to support the team. From a lazy programmer prospective, it was easier to disable/remove the option than put a limit on number retirements, or expand jersey numbers into the triple digits.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The poor Home Court advantage is probably because of the low fan interest of Honolulu. Of course if a team actually went there and was that successful, the fan interest would be through the roof.

Seattle probably have an A+ advantage at home.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Indiana had an A+, so that's probably right. It was also, I think, their first Finals appearance in thirty one years. So I imagine that audience would have been pretty hungry. I figure real interest is on a curve, where the big spikes will be for teams that are consistently great, and on the other end, teams that are starved for a title. Middle of the road teams would just be the dip in the middle.

Re: the Jazz: As a kid, I thought for years there was a skiing term where something was called "Jazz", because they used to have that mountainous logo. Utah has got to be the least Jazziest place on Earth, but that's looped back around into making it work again, at least for me. It has a decent ring to it. It's phonetically pleasing.

I like The Pelicans as a mascot or conceptually as a team name, but New Orleans Pelicans is just a huge mouthful, and doesn't have a ring to it at all. "Nola Pelicans" sounds quite a bit better but still a bit off. Hell, even "Louisiana Pelicans" has more of a ring to it.

I'm not married to teams needing to have anything to do with the city or state necessarily. Without the weird timing of when the league expanded to Toronto, we would never have the Raptors, and a world with no Raptors is just a drab, funless reality where children never smile, and all the food is British.

I wish more teams were named after things like concepts, forces of nature, fruit or other foods, stuff that's kickin' rad, useful devices, etc.

Sports teams, with their whole ongoing motif of naming are a bunch of Cowards.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
For the ultimate FU, send the Lakers back to Minneapolis.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Largepotato posted:

For the ultimate FU, send the Lakers back to Minneapolis.

Don't send them there, but I would absolutely vote to rename the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Minneapolis Lakers under our "Team names should make loving sense" initiative that could be applied to the Clippers or the Jazz. Keep the team in LA and rename them to something geographically appropriate like the Los Angeles Stars or the Los Angeles Wildfires since California seems to be a constant blaze.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
CHAPTER 17, 2031-2032, Offseason Part 1

The 2031 NBA draft rolls around, and looks to have a few very promising players, but it's also fairly shallow.

Though Philadelphia has frequently taken guards in this spot, Dwight Dixon here is a no-brainer first pick, something like an 85 OVR out of the box (I know, OVR, sucks, but)... when the next best player is nearly ten points behind. I didn't screen grab it, but a guy got picked later and Sekou Smith claimed that the other player was the unanimous #1 on every draft board---possibly because he's drinking. Dixon was always on top, and I think every single scout in the league said "yes, this seems like a sure fire future all-star"

Seattle takes this guy, and are going to have to wait as many as 3 years to sign him. Please note, 2k will not generate a player from Netherlands. Our Dutch friend here was yet another Stelios Doureakas, so I randomized his name and gave him a different background.

A lackluster year for draft names, but I still think Rex Fox is pretty good, as far as names go. It's a name that almost necessitates saying with a substantial pause between given and surname. Generated characters no longer have tattoos; I feel like tattoos are all that's keeping this guy from some serious biker gang energy.

The Sixers continue to scrap their old championship squad, meanwhile the Heat, who could use help right now, get two high quality veterans. I have to assume this move also means I was right about the AI being too stupid to re-sign Terence Teague.

A big 6'5 point guard with that kind of passing ability seems like he should have been drafted much higher than 9th. If the sixers keep these two together, that Miller/Dixon combo seems like it could be very, very dangerous in a few short years.

OKC does its best to try to get decent players for right now, despite missing the playoffs entirely last season. Cleveland continues to sink resources into rebuilding.

I like this trade, too. The Kings seem to understand that the difference between the last two years' records was their lack of a good center. The Wolves probably see their own playoff berth two years ago as a fluke.

....O_o I'm not sure the Rockets have a point guard left. I mean, Jokic was fourth in the league last season in assists, but still.

Tossing this up here, because holy hell that wingspan on this kid. That's a +8 inch difference on a guard. Griffin's got to be downright unsettling to look at in motion.

DiVincenzo here once again finds himself searching for a new apartment. I wonder if this means the Lakers are giving up on Courtney Banks. (And if so, where the gently caress they're going to get their scoring from)

The Bulls use their new pick to take this guy, who has an interesting background. This one, I did not change. 2k, for whatever reason will generate guys from the Air Force. The other armed forces exist as possible backgrounds, but after so many tests/drafts/etc, I have only ever seen Air Force come up.

The Honu make their selection, a reasonably able to pass guard with some extra size. Who knows if Boyd here will ever be an NBA caliber player, but right now, he's off to the G-league.

Mr Irrelevant 2031 is Steve Kersey from Missour-sey

Eminescu accepts his player option, and I pick up the options for Herbert Curry and Joshua Carr. Despite wanting to sign an extension "immediately", Donta Greene opts out

I extend a qualifying offer to BJ Lawrence, who I intend to sign long-term, and not Bernie Lawrence, even though the game insists that I totally offered Bernie Lawrence a contract. If he magically winds up on my team again, I won't actually complain, because I believe I might have done poor math and need another body on the end of my bench, anyhow.

In addition to the two Lawrences, the Honu's free agents are Luka Samanic, who I have no desire to bring back, Gheorghe Filimon, and Donta Green. The Honu have some difficult decisions to make:

The Filimon Problem
Not really a "problem", per se, but the fact of the matter is, the Honu are over the cap, and, while we'll have 40 million dollars under the cap next free agency, we almost certainly have more than 40 million dollars worth of player to sign. I can, of course, go over the cap to sign Gheorghe Filimon, since I possess his bird rights, and I also get one Mid Level Exception (Valued at approximately 7.7 million dollars) per season to spend on a free agent, regardless of my salary situation. Filimon wants about 15 million dollars per year, I am not sure what I can talk him down to. He's been declining for a few seasons now, and also, we have Jacque Cisse's young French National team understudy, Alain Sonnet coming over this season. Filimon is slightly less necessary than he has been over the course of our multiple championships, although, I would have to point out that no option I get in his place will be nearly the passer he is. Very few are. He also doesn't score often, but he scores extremely efficiently.

So we have to decide whether he's too important to replace right now, or if it's time to start training up a rotation of point guards to back up Cisse.

For reference, here is Filimon:

We have a few options to choose from, if we decide to part ways. I can sign all of these options for the mid level exception. The first is the former Celtics rookie, Gerard Justice.

As you can see, his numbers declined every season, because the Celtics went in another direction at Point, instead choosing to rely on Oscar Knox, who was taken in the same (or the next) draft. Justice here was, I believe, waived, much like Filimon was in the past. However, he was waved over a season ago, which is well outside the 3 day grace period to get him for waiver price. At 26, he's the oldest of the available options, but the flipside is, he's probably the most equipped to contribute right now, barring simply re-signing Filimon. The biggest downside outside of age, would be that he is only 5'11, and the Honu could use more size in the Back-court other than Gheorghe Eminescu

A slightly younger, slightly worse option would be Jermaine Ryan. At 6'4, Ryan has legitimate size for a point guard (Not something I'd call "big", but something that wouldn't be "small" either). He's probably the best passer of the young options. He is otherwise a little raw, despite not being the youngest guy I'm considering.

The fourth option would be Louie Morgan, a 21 year old prospect with decent potential, and already excellent scoring ability from all parts of the floor. Another 6'4 point guard, Morgan would give us the most chances to develop, and is one of the more useful players available right now. The major drawback would be, of the bunch, he's easily the worst playmaker.

The Greene Problem
Remember how I spent an entire off-season haggling over contract details with Donta Greene before finally paying him more money than I wanted, ultimately getting him to agree to a 17 million dollar deal for the year?

Donta Greene wants a substantial raise. Now, I admit, he was pretty big for us in the playoff run, and he gives us a weird, pass-seeking power forward that does a lot for making our team work. On the other hand, he was someone I had to monitor pretty closely to make sure he wasn't complaining about touches, and ultimately, I benched him in the finals. Going forward, I am committed to running Bol Bol and Harry Francis in the starting lineup together. So 25 million dollars a year for a bench player is a bit crazy. We had some good times, but I wish Donta well on his future endeavors.

Unfortunately, promising young power forwards aren't cheap, and while nothing I can get can match Greene's output, that is doubly true for anybody I attempt to pick up during Free Agency with a Mid Level Exception. The only way to get a decent backup power forward, as near as I can tell, is trading.

And, as the other players on our team are more important to our core, I determine that I can safely sacrifice Herbert Curry. That team option I offered him might have paid off in an unexpected way; I could conceivably get a young power forward to develop.

Or, I could keep Curry. I mean, he was solid for us. It's just that my Power Forward depth is Bol Bol and then someone else playing out of position, so I'd like to have something promising here. With his 1 rebound for the entirety of last regular season, I can confidently assert that Curry is not a Power Forward.

Anyhow, if I decided to trade Curry, there are three deals that stand out as worthwhile:

PACKAGE A: Herbert Curry and the Honu's 2035 second round draft pick to the Milwaukee Bucks for Sidney Cunningham.
Cunningham has, I believe, two years remaining on his rookie deal (possibly 3. It's more than the 1 displayed though, since this screen will not display team options) A promising young player that the Bucks have given no minutes to, because Giannis Antetokuonmpo is alive. Cunningham is extremely young, and very malleable.

PACKAGE B: Herbert Curry to les Voyageurs for P.J. Foote. In addition, the Voyageurs will have the rights to swap picks with the 2033 Lakers pick, giving the Honu the worse of the two picks. (The Honu own the Lakers pick from a previous trade) Foote is the oldest option I'm considering, but at 24 years old, that's not too bad. He still has one of his team option years remaining. Foote is ready to play right now, and a very willing passer from the Power Forward position. The biggest advantage here is that this costs us no draft picks, merely draft position, so it's also the least expensive trade, barring a quite large differential between Montreal and LA in 2033.

PACKAGE C: Herbert Curry and the Honu's 2034 first round pick to the Thunder for Teddy Vaughn and the Thunder's 2035 Second Round pick. This is the most expensive trade, as it'd be giving up a first for a second, but the flipside is, Vaughn is nearly as good as Foote is already, has 3 years remaining on his contract, is actually more willing of a passer, and is just 19 years old. A product of the Illinois Institute of Art--Chicago (Vaughn was a duplicate name--when I randomized a new name for him, I also decided to have a little fun with his college), Vaughn is clearly the most valuable of the three options, and is priced accordingly.

Which one, if any, that we choose, is ultimately a matter of how much Honolulu is willing to give up. The differences in value as well as cost, are ultimately all pretty cheap either way.

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

Question 1, The Filimon Problem
A)Resign Filimon (Specify number of years to shoot for. I will still attempt to haggle with Filimon--I'm not taking that 15 million dollar asking price as a given)
B)Sign Justice
C)Sign Ryan
D)Sign Morgan

Question 2, The Greene Problem
A)Package A, Cunningham
B)Package B, Foote
C)Package C, Vaughn
D)Keep Curry

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 30, 2020

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

1) Morgan
2) Package C, trade for Timmy Vaughn Gogh :v:
not enough name drafting in this thread IMO

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I'm terrible at making decisions in this game so I'll abstain in the voting, just wanted to point out that the guy in the draft from "Air Force" didn't actually come from the military service - the 3 major military academies (Army, Navy, Air Force) all compete in Division I college sports, so he played at the Air Force Academy. David Robinson is probably the most famous example of a player from a service academy, he played at Navy (yeah they just call it Army/Navy/Air Force).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hirsute posted:

I'm terrible at making decisions in this game so I'll abstain in the voting, just wanted to point out that the guy in the draft from "Air Force" didn't actually come from the military service - the 3 major military academies (Army, Navy, Air Force) all compete in Division I college sports, so he played at the Air Force Academy. David Robinson is probably the most famous example of a player from a service academy, he played at Navy (yeah they just call it Army/Navy/Air Force).

Yes. Although, Robinson actually did serve in the Navy for two years after his time in the academy. In a sense, he was a draft-and-stash pick. I'd given thought to making various armed forces academies as possible changes to draft-and-stash players, but can't think of an instance where it's happened since Robinson.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Yeah I just looked it up, you're required to serve in the relevant branch if you stay for over 2 years, so that guy actually could have come straight from the Air Force like Robinson with the Navy. Didn't mean to question your clearly expansive basketball knowledge or anything, I just grew up a college basketball guy (in Kentucky) and in my experience sometimes even the biggest NBA fans don't pay much attention to the college side of the sport (rightly so, I've come to realize in my old age).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
:ssh: Naw, I'm looking stuff up constantly. Some of this stuff I know, quite a lot I discover to try to make the thread more interesting.

EDIT: I'm also definitely guilty of rarely paying attention to the college side of things---I'll sometimes watch the actual tournament to do some scouting on players. I remember thinking GMs were out of their goddamn minds for the knock on Curry being he had little arms. (For an NBA player) Because, you know, that was going to tank a player with Curry's style of play.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 30, 2020

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

1)D
2)C

Morgan and Van Gogh seem like our best options for right now.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

oldskool posted:

1) Morgan
2) Package C, trade for Timmy Vaughn Gogh :v:
not enough name drafting in this thread IMO

I agree with this. Both of these players are gonna be on the second team and complement each other well, Morgan gives us size and shooting and Vaughn provides playmaking. Being able to grow together is also a plus.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
B, we need some Justice
C, we need Teddy

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The number of glitches and horrors that this game produces never ceases to amaze me. I'm too burned out to update immediately, but I simmed the rest of the off-season.

I discover that every player that I aged down in previous draft classes ceased aging entirely. As near as I can tell, it's because, when they're just a prospect, their age is listed as a number instead of a birth year, and when they're in the league, it switches to a birth year. There is no loving reason for this mechanic to exist, as it is merely visual anyhow. At any rate, if you edit age down, it sort of locks in place and then the player's birth year is stuck at, say "19" instead of a real figure, like "2010" .......................................................................

So I had to painstakingly edit over 100 players' birth years back in. Future drafts will be de-aged after players are drafted. gently caress this stupid game and gently caress the designers. I curse them so that all things purchased with their ill-gotten loot will be defective, that it may turn to ashes in their hands, that they live the rest of their lives in regret and sorrow.

EDIT
Counting this enormous glitch, I think that's.... 4? 5? major loving glitches I discovered during this update? I just.... I hate them. It feels wrong to hate a human being for something as trivial as a video game, but I hate the person in charge of this game.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 31, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
As much as I have enjoyed this LP, seeing all the bugs in it turned me off of my idea of doing my own personal franchise mode. I was going to either try to lead the Celtics back to dominance or start an expansion in Montréal and see if I can build it into a force, but I have gone off the idea because I don't have VSMs experience to navigate all the bullshit.

What bothers me most is that these are bugs that have, apparently, been around for years and years. If this was the first year for this game mode it would be somewhat forgivable, but it's absolute bollocks as-is. I had thought briefly about having VSM scrupulously document all of the bugs and submit them, but it's clear that the devs know about them and don't give a toss.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Veryslightlymad posted:

The number of glitches and horrors that this game produces never ceases to amaze me. I'm too burned out to update immediately, but I simmed the rest of the off-season.

I discover that every player that I aged down in previous draft classes ceased aging entirely. As near as I can tell, it's because, when they're just a prospect, their age is listed as a number instead of a birth year, and when they're in the league, it switches to a birth year. There is no loving reason for this mechanic to exist, as it is merely visual anyhow. At any rate, if you edit age down, it sort of locks in place and then the player's birth year is stuck at, say "19" instead of a real figure, like "2010" .......................................................................

So I had to painstakingly edit over 100 players' birth years back in. Future drafts will be de-aged after players are drafted. gently caress this stupid game and gently caress the designers. I curse them so that all things purchased with their ill-gotten loot will be defective, that it may turn to ashes in their hands, that they live the rest of their lives in regret and sorrow.

EDIT
Counting this enormous glitch, I think that's.... 4? 5? major loving glitches I discovered during this update? I just.... I hate them. It feels wrong to hate a human being for something as trivial as a video game, but I hate the person in charge of this game.

Oh nooo I did this in my franchise. At least I only did it to a few before I got tired of it though.

JustJeff88 posted:

As much as I have enjoyed this LP, seeing all the bugs in it turned me off of my idea of doing my own personal franchise mode. I was going to either try to lead the Celtics back to dominance or start an expansion in Montréal and see if I can build it into a force, but I have gone off the idea because I don't have VSMs experience to navigate all the bullshit.

What bothers me most is that these are bugs that have, apparently, been around for years and years. If this was the first year for this game mode it would be somewhat forgivable, but it's absolute bollocks as-is. I had thought briefly about having VSM scrupulously document all of the bugs and submit them, but it's clear that the devs know about them and don't give a toss.

I dunno, it's still pretty fun. It upsets me that 2k has done what they have done to the game but myleague is still fun to me.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually can't submit a review on Steam for some reason. It's always errored out and told me to try again later. The game's virulence is seeping into the demesnes of other powers.

I think selectively getting people that were involved with the real world league to start publicly trashing the game would be a more successful strategy. 2K's won a lot of credit, not just because NBA Live manages, somehow, to be full of even more incompetent jackassery, but because they have a lot of street cred with the actual league. They're perceived as cool. Getting actual basketball-associated figures who like to game to start trashing the franchise would stab the evil motherfuckers right in the PR.

:allears: >Sigh< and then if they were a player we could watch 2k lower their OVR for the next year's release out of petty spite.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
MINI UPDATE

I've decided that there's not enough content to have the offseason moves be their own dedicated update, so the remainder of the off-season (mostly free agency) will be contained in the first update of the regular season. In the meantime, I'll summarize the Honu's moves/vote results here:

I pulled the deal for Teddy Vaughn, who seemed to have captured the imagination of the thread. This nets us a 4 million dollar trade exception.

First off, I want to announce that I'm an idiot. Trade exceptions can't be used to sign players, only to acquire another player or package of players in a future trade. They basically hop around the league like a hot potato until they expire. This settles much of my earlier rage on the subject, but certainly not all of it, because, either way, my exception was stolen from me before 1 calendar year, and even if I were using it right, it was still conceivably enough to acquire a 17 million dollar player. Frustratingly, I can't just use it in trade finder as an asset in and of itself, even if I wanted to say, for instance "Find me trades for Bernie Lawrence + my trade exception". Can't do it. So, in practice, unless you aggressively are asking the AI for trades, you're not going to use your exceptions.

In Summer League, Vaughn was pretty good for us. He led at least one game in assists.

~I also pulled the Morgan signing and extended Hicks because why the hell not, I need minimum bench players. Morgan dropped 34 points in a summer league game for the Honu, in an effort that we lost and the Honu scored 65 points, total. So I'm cautiously optimistic about him.

~Despite me not offering a contract to Bernie Lawrence at all, he's "accepted his qualifying offer" which I didn't extend :psyduck: and joins my team for what was actually his salary cap hold. Nonetheless, as with Hicks, I need minimum bench players, and Lawrence is weirdly starting to develop almost in spite of my neglect. I'll have to watch his performance vs that of Joshua Carr, because at some point, he might become my preferred option of the two (though doubtful. He's still 5 years older)

~2k did not give me a mid level exception, so I was only able to offer players minimum contracts, but because I have early bird rights, (somehow, 2k almost correctly models Early Bird rights----I say almost because it was letting me offer 1 year deals or 1+option deals to BJ, even though if you sign a player with Early Bird rights, you must sign them for a minimum of two years), I could offer BJ a contract of approximately 4 million a year, but he wasn't biting, instead valuing himself more around 7----I think I could have talked him down to about five and a half, if I had my mid-level exception :argh:

~The James Early signing is a two-way contract for another backup center. He performed excellently on my summer league team and is nearly good enough to be in the NBA right now. So I'm gonna stuff him in development for a year (or less with injuries) and see if he evolves.

~I felt really bad for mocking Frankie Lambert and needed to fill my bench with minimum salary players, so I'll try to get you your ring, little buddy.

EDIT

God, gently caress this game.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 31, 2020

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
As a programmer I try not to be too critical of others projects, because no one is trying to ship bad code and the timelines on this sort of yearly project seem horrific. That being said, that's pretty bad on Vancouver's part. Maybe every general manager is just set to look for a particular kind of coach, so this ine keeps falling back on the same bad choices?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
https://twitter.com/swipathefox/status/1241401590390513664

De'Aaron Fox on 2k from back in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011

Thordain posted:

As a programmer I try not to be too critical of others projects, because no one is trying to ship bad code and the timelines on this sort of yearly project seem horrific. That being said, that's pretty bad on Vancouver's part. Maybe every general manager is just set to look for a particular kind of coach, so this ine keeps falling back on the same bad choices?

Likewise as a programmer, I can easily see that. One of my first two expansion teams hired Henderson. Also did some experimentation, starting a few myLeagues with two expansion teams, and in 98% of them, one of the two teams hired a head coach with the same Henderson-Terrible playstyle. In only one instance did both new teams have a coach that didn't fit this mold.

My guess is that there are only a small variety of GM builds for expansion teams, and that one of them absolutely has to have a coach that will work the starting five and only the starting five. You can probably fire Jeremy this year and replace him, but Vancouver's GM will try and hire another coach that fits their mold at the first opportunity.