Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

falz posted:

.. With his and hers tub shower heads?

European style separate hot and cold taps: https://youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

mutata posted:

European style separate hot and cold taps: https://youtu.be/HfHgUu_8KgA

..with shower heads on them

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've had several people tell me I'm going to regret getting rid of the probably 75-100 random knickknacks (and a small amount of major items, like a dining table and tv). It's so weird. People are just triggered by decluttering or I dunno

My neighbor just said "you are going to regret getting rid of that" completely seriously. In this case "that" was a cheap pizza cutter from target that I hadn't used in years :wtc:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

actionjackson posted:

I've had several people tell me I'm going to regret getting rid of the probably 75-100 random knickknacks (and a small amount of major items, like a dining table and tv). It's so weird. People are just triggered by decluttering or I dunno

My neighbor just said "you are going to regret getting rid of that" completely seriously. In this case "that" was a cheap pizza cutter from target that I hadn't used in years :wtc:

Reading or watching Marie Kondo is pretty eyeopening to how attached people are to Stuff, and she's not even a minimalist (neither am I, just a person with too much stuff)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh no some random benefactor just gave me a lifetime membership to flatbread of the month club, what do I do???

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
im the 64oz bottle of drakkar noir

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Yeah, people are really triggered by your personal life decisions that they'd have no reason to know about if you didn't bring it up and court their opinion on it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I send out a press release whenever I throw a pizza cutter away

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

How many times have you thrown a pizza cutter away

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
There's a MCM-themed neighborhood being built outside of Austin right now.

I'd be more excited about them if they weren't practically in a suburb of a suburb and still at a 450k+ price point for a tiny lot.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Shuu posted:

I'd be more excited about them if they weren't practically in a suburb of a suburb and still at a 450k+ price point for a tiny lot.

Was gonna call this Pleasantville til I saw the last photo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shuu posted:

Yeah, but you're not considering the extra income you'll get from productions renting out your street for period pieces.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "seasonal camp". Ramshackle little (or big) cabins way up north intended to be used for only part of the year due to road access, being in a resort community, and/or not being insulated. Many are also candidates for the Crappy Construction thread.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/95-Menatoma-Camp-Rd-Readfield-ME-04355/112652496_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/59-Jones-Rd-Chestertown-NY-12817/32924881_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31-Copeland-Way-Rangeley-ME-04970/2078744041_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1233-Old-Piseco-Rd-Piseco-NY-12139/30509503_zpid/ instagram filter really not necessary here

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/46-Johnson-Rd-Albany-NH-03818/95332992_zpid/ nicest/biggest one I've seen and it's on its own land, I'm surprised this was never finished for year-round use

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/60-Bray-Hill-Rd-Phillips-ME-04966/2080234160_zpid/ claims to be 4-season accessible but I would probably not want to live here during a Maine winter.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/516-W-Shore-Rd-Hammond-NY-13646/63567110_zpid/ we have an Elvis fan

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/437-Brighton-Rd-Solon-ME-04979/2117931262_zpid/ this place also has an outhouse so I guess this is their chamber pot?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

Yeah, people are really triggered by your personal life decisions that they'd have no reason to know about if you didn't bring it up and court their opinion on it.

people asked what kind of things i've been doing to fill the time since covid, and that's one of them, sorry I didn't get your approval

there are people that can't imagine throwing anything away though. they do exist. there's a shitload of them, which is why so many people have so much crap

typically it's like

me: i've been getting rid of a ton of stuff
them: like what
me: like (items)
them: you will regret this sim city 2000 . jpeg

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

falz posted:

..with shower heads on them

Ah, I'm phone posting and couldn't really see, haha.

Shuu posted:

I want to read the HOA rules.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know I've bought several pizza cutters, but I never remember getting rid of one.

I currently have no pizza cutters. Where did they wander off to?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

I know I've bought several pizza cutters, but I never remember getting rid of one.

I currently have no pizza cutters. Where did they wander off to?

congrats ur a minimalist

you can actually cut most pizzas with scissors if you squeeze hard enough

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What kind of parameters do you need to take into consideration for choosing between a sofa and a sectional? I'm mostly interested in the sofa with the integrated chaise for cuddling and watching TV.

I don't want to get something cheap that will disintegrate in 2 years, but I don't really need anything that's top of the line. Is $600-800 a decent budget for a sofa? I have cats who love to shred furniture, so no way am I going to spend $4000 on a glorified scratching post.

I currently have a super crappy faux leather couch, and the cats never mess with it, but I'm looking into microfiber as an alternative.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'd put $1.2-2k around the hump where you start finding decent pieces

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Sofas are a weird product where you can spend 3-4x or more and not get anything better looking or more comfortable. I’ve seen some real crap that people tell me they paid more than a good used car for.

Maybe I’m cheap but my Ikea couch is comfortable enough to sleep on and has a denim like cover on it that’s soft and durable.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I paid £400 each for a 2 and a 3 person sofa that are comfortable as hell in slightly different ways, I think you guys are just brainwashed into thinking it's not comfortable unless it cost you $2000. Like how you seem to think $1000 is a cheap fridge.

market research limited to Americans whining about spending $1000+ on a fridge on these forums

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

pizza scissors

My family always did this. It's good.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'd put $1.2-2k around the hump where you start finding decent pieces

This is where I'd put it, based on shopping around about a year ago. If you're patient (instead of buying whatever poo poo off Wayfair) you can do reasonably well in that price range. I ended up getting a massive discount because they had a big sale going on, it was a floor model, and it had a pen mark on one of the seats (which came off with water and a magic eraser in ten seconds), but I did have to shop around for a few months.

That price range isn't based on comfort, it's based on not wanting to buy a new sofa every few years.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I feel like every store that's not a high end boutique has the same exact couches and I don't know what I want anymore.

I should figure out my final paint color before I buy though, right?

We're looking at behr marquee, crisp linen or translucent silk.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

cakesmith handyman posted:

I paid £400 each for a 2 and a 3 person sofa that are comfortable as hell in slightly different ways, I think you guys are just brainwashed into thinking it's not comfortable unless it cost you $2000. Like how you seem to think $1000 is a cheap fridge.

market research limited to Americans whining about spending $1000+ on a fridge on these forums

This thread is actually brainwashed into thinking that because you can get a 'comfortable' ikea couch for $350 that's made of particle board and staples, that spending anything more must be some sort of capitalist brand conspiracy

Then there's this one guy who always chimes in like 'but I've had an ikea couch for 20 years!! and through 15 moves!' def. the hallmark of a carefully produced, high-quality, heirloom piece

Bioshuffle posted:

I feel like every store that's not a high end boutique has the same exact couches and I don't know what I want anymore.

I should figure out my final paint color before I buy though, right?

We're looking at behr marquee, crisp linen or translucent silk.

Depends. If you're just looking at different shades of the same color and they're not drastically different, it wouldn't matter. That being said, if you can wait a week or whatever to paint first, that's what I would do.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My $800 sofa chaise has lasted seven years, but I don't actually use it much so that's probably why it's still going strong. You can definitely notice that in the part of it I do sit on most often, it has gotten some rippling in the fabric over time.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Then there's this one guy who always chimes in like 'but I've had an ikea couch for 20 years!! and through 15 moves!' def. the hallmark of a carefully produced, high-quality, heirloom piece

just to play devil's advocate, what's wrong with this argument? if people like their ikea couch and it's lasted that long, that would go against your argument about needing to spend more to have something that lasts a long time.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 26, 2020

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

PDP-1 posted:

Any opinions on using natural slate tiles for a kitchen floor?

Go for it. It can chip, so an extra box is worth purchasing. That said, if you know the quarry it came from they can often provide a very close match in a new production run - we recently successfully matched a 1980's production run even though they don't even quarry the specific material any more (they still had a bunch lying around the yard from when they closed that quarry - I'm blanking on the specific quarry but they were in Vermont. Even in the midwest a lot of the good slate is coming out of New England). http://www.slatevalleymuseum.org/slate-companies1.html

If you balk at the price, the best looking, widely available faux slate is Daltile Delegate DL27.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

seems like a good price but not sure

want to read in this chair

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone know of another place that sells a checkered multitone rug like this? I absolutely love the darker version.

https://www.dwr.com/rugs-rugs/maharam-multitone-rug/5124.html?lang=en_US

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Bioshuffle posted:

I was looking into "making" an Ikea computer desk by buying the karlby countertop and attaching legs, but apparently they are prone to sagging and swaying. I wanted a solution for 2 people workstation, but that may not be feasible.

I'm looking at the micke or Alex desk. Just buying two and putting them together. Not sure why there's such a price discrepancy when they look like they're the same desk.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/micke-desk-black-brown-10244743/
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/linnmon-alex-table-white-s49047119/

You can stiffen any table by adding a spine to it, if making an apron is beyond you. Take a 2x4 cut to the length of the table, put it near the middle towards the back, and screw it into the tabletop from underneath (with pocket holes ideally).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

My $800 sofa chaise has lasted seven years, but I don't actually use it much so that's probably why it's still going strong. You can definitely notice that in the part of it I do sit on most often, it has gotten some rippling in the fabric over time.

just to play devil's advocate, what's wrong with this argument? if people like their ikea couch and it's lasted that long, that would go against your argument about needing to spend more to have something that lasts a long time.

Twenty years isn't that long in furniture life. Ikea stuff is still made with disposability rather than refurbishment in mind. 20 years with an Ikea couch is a good deal, but are you going to get it reupholstered so it'll last for another fifty?

You can absolutely spend $5000 on a couch that will not last any longer than an Ikea piece, but you're unlikely to spend less than $1000 on one (not including the second-hand market) that'll last for 20 years of regular use.

This discussion has given me an idea- what's the oldest piece in everyone's house? Extra points if it's something you inherited rather than an antique you bought.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sirotan and other art people, I'm looking at this for the space above my audio stuff. I feel like it would really add some nice color, but work wall with my tan wall also.

https://www.minted.com/product/art/MIN-FWB-GNA/geo-abstract?color=A&shape=

specifically the canvas version with the "urban red" theme

also this person is local which is nice!

I just don't know if it would be better to have something square or horizontal instead in this space. I will replace the ikea kallax thing as some point with something wider, so I do want something that won't look too small if I have a wider sideboard/credenza/etc. (or I could just do a diptych in that case).

this would be the size on the wall for the 18x24 and 24x30 versions, centered above the turntable stand and at eye level (the blue tape in the middle is my eye level).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

there wolf posted:

This discussion has given me an idea- what's the oldest piece in everyone's house? Extra points if it's something you inherited rather than an antique you bought.

Tallboy from the 50s, was my grandparents as part of a full set, went to my elder brother, got sanded/refinished, came to me about 7 years ago. Found a matching one in a thrift store about 3 years ago, my wife wanted them painting, managed to only do the thrift one and not ruin the original.

Oh yeah, found a matching dresser on eBay a year ago, that needs stripping and refinishing but it's in my daughter's room.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

Twenty years isn't that long in furniture life. Ikea stuff is still made with disposability rather than refurbishment in mind. 20 years with an Ikea couch is a good deal, but are you going to get it reupholstered so it'll last for another fifty?

You can absolutely spend $5000 on a couch that will not last any longer than an Ikea piece, but you're unlikely to spend less than $1000 on one (not including the second-hand market) that'll last for 20 years of regular use.

I mean (again playing devil's advocate), people tend to change styles more often than once every 20 years, so they'd prob get a new sofa either way. Or you are old enough where you will prob live 20 years, but not 50 :)

do you think people that are getting 20 years of use out of their ikea sofa are just getting lucky that it didn't break down before that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

My 190-something sofa that I just had reupholstered (it's at least it's 3rd time).

The "green chair" is similarly old and handed down and will be getting reupholstered along with the white chair which we found at a second hand shop recently.

Sofa now looks like this after being reupholstered (and we decided to flip where it and the chairs were):

E: the console records player/radio in the first pic is from the early 60s and was handed down to me. I repaired it and it works great now....I know it doesn't really fit the rest of the furniture in the room but I love that thing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

I mean (again playing devil's advocate), people tend to change styles more often than once every 20 years, so they'd prob get a new sofa either way. Or you are old enough where you will prob live 20 years, but not 50 :)

do you think people that are getting 20 years of use out of their ikea sofa are just getting lucky that it didn't break down before that?

That's the thing. The idea that you buy a whole new piece of furniture because styles change and you want something different is the product of a hyper-consumerist culture. Needing to have the latest style is just as much a part of planned obsolescence as using crappy materials that don't hold up. I think it's something that's easy to forget in the US because unlike other places, we're not constantly running into things that are centuries old.

The oldest piece in my house is either the pie chest or the sewing cabinet, both from around the turn of the last century. The oldest thing in my house is a fork that's at least 150 years old.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

there wolf posted:

This wall unit was made in Quebec in the 1900s or 1910s, for a warehouse. Each shelf has a number stenciled on it. Apparently the warehouse had a whole wall of these side by side. I use it for miscellaneous storage, as you can see.

My dad used to drive by the store in Toronto with this unit in the window, back in 1972ish. It was originally $600, then a while later $500, then $400, I can't remember if it got down to $300 but my dad says he offered $100 less and it was an instant sale.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there wolf posted:

That's the thing. The idea that you buy a whole new piece of furniture because styles change and you want something different is the product of a hyper-consumerist culture. Needing to have the latest style is just as much a part of planned obsolescence as using crappy materials that don't hold up. I think it's something that's easy to forget in the US because unlike other places, we're not constantly running into things that are centuries old.

The oldest piece in my house is either the pie chest or the sewing cabinet, both from around the turn of the last century. The oldest thing in my house is a fork that's at least 150 years old.

You don't think someone could just say "I'd like to go with a different look" after 10-20 years? I don't think that's necessarily hyper-consumerist.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you're like me, your couch is saggy and gross but you keep using it until metal/wood spikes poke your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My parents bought a cheap 200 USD couch and when it started sagging in the seat cushions, stuck a wooden plank beneath the seats and restuffed with foam. They have some things that are older than me (but can’t be newer than 40 years old because that’s when they came to the US). You can keep old cheap things out of necessity and at some point it becomes an heirloom :v:, it’s what poor people have done for ages. It’s not a super comfortable couch but it works :shrug:

I’ve lived separately from them since college and I’m trying to strike a balance in my furnishings between not being wasteful by buying the cheapest thing and not blowing money on something high quality I don’t know if I’ll want/will be able to move with in ten years, and the way I’m threading the needle is to just not own much. Oldest things I own are IKEA folding chairs off Craigslist.