Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Painting minis is very relaxing. Gluing them makes me unspeakably angry though.

Unsurprisingly, 2nd Donegal Guards, 2nd Battalion. The Gurkha gets a gold sword and shoulder because he'll gently caress you up. I'll probably proxy the Cataphract and Catapult for a Caesar and Archer but hey, they were free so I might as well use them.

Still waiting on decals, those will spell the ultimate end of me getting upset about paint color and doing "touch-ups."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really wish that minis were small enough to actually fit on the hex, btw. Most of my hexes have to be upside down.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I mean, it could be worse.

PGI's 'Mechs are pretty badly oversized.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Bishamon gives no fucks about your "hexes"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If this Atlas is rockin', don't come a-knockin'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

If this Atlas is rockin', don't come a-knockin'.

Catalyst Game Labs likes my photo on social media too. :3: I hope they know I am still waiting for 3 more Battletech rulebooks from them!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ooh yeah I should totally share the rest of my collection so far:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently wave 1 will be delivered at the end of September. Lmao. gently caress. If I didn’t already buy like 100+ bootleg mechs I would be screwed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Apparently wave 1 will be delivered at the end of September. Lmao. gently caress. If I didn’t already buy like 100+ bootleg mechs I would be screwed.

This is what I have been doing. The pandemic completely hosed over their production.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Taintrunner posted:

I hope you were following Clan Approved Social Distancing if you played any games. No melee.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Im midway through my first game of armored combat with full lances. Its ling and stressful. How are we supposed to keep track of ammo and how do we keep track of which mech is targeting which?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Baron Porkface posted:

Im midway through my first game of armored combat with full lances. Its ling and stressful. How are we supposed to keep track of ammo and how do we keep track of which mech is targeting which?

Ammo: put a tally or tick mark next to the ton of ammo on the critical locations table.

Firing targets: short-hand identification and target number next to the weapon that's being fired. If you're Lance on Lance, odds are pretty good you don't have multiple of the same target, so if you have a Catapult shooting at a Commando and a Wolverine you'd just write a C or a W next to the weapons that are shooting at those targets, and the number you need to hit (saves time when rolling to not have to count it all up again).

Alternately, don't give a poo poo about the targeting phase and just go back and forth because the game is small enough that it shouldn't matter nearly as much as it could in a bigger game. This is a bad habit to get into if you're going bigger though, and can create some feels-bad moments when you blow something up with a very lucky crit and you have a 'mech that was very obviously going to shoot at it and it's harder to argue there's no big impact.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Strobe posted:

Ammo: put a tally or tick mark next to the ton of ammo on the critical locations table.

Firing targets: short-hand identification and target number next to the weapon that's being fired. If you're Lance on Lance, odds are pretty good you don't have multiple of the same target, so if you have a Catapult shooting at a Commando and a Wolverine you'd just write a C or a W next to the weapons that are shooting at those targets, and the number you need to hit (saves time when rolling to not have to count it all up again).

Alternately, don't give a poo poo about the targeting phase and just go back and forth because the game is small enough that it shouldn't matter nearly as much as it could in a bigger game. This is a bad habit to get into if you're going bigger though, and can create some feels-bad moments when you blow something up with a very lucky crit and you have a 'mech that was very obviously going to shoot at it and it's harder to argue there's no big impact.

Putting a tick mark is impossible if there is say, 12 ammo in a critical slot and using dry erase

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Baron Porkface posted:

Putting a tick mark is impossible if there is say, 12 ammo in a critical slot and using dry erase

If you only have one ton of ammo you can mark it in the weapons and equipment section, but really the important part is that you make a mark that you can identify for that crit slot, even if it overlaps text on other crit slots.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Nothing stopping you from getting a piece of scratch paper to make notes on for that kind of thing. If you have an easel, you can write down what every mech is firing at on that and it would be plain and easy to follow.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like to just do tally marks over the text of the crit space, unless it's only one ton (then I do it next to the weapon name). To me it's kind of a visualization of that ammo magazine emptying.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I remember once while playing with the hex-less rules I took a bunch of coffee stirrers, cut them in half, and wrote various weapons on them so I could keep track of what was shooting what.

turns out its just easier to write it down.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Writing it down each time you fire a weapons seems really laborious and would slow down the game even more.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wrote things down before I got a handle on the to-hit calculation.

Once I got confident with the rules I usually play fast and loose with the declaration rules, and things go like "okay this guy is firing everything at that guy, and this guy is firing two PPCs at that guy, and this guy is firing his medium lasers and SRMs at that guy" and so on.

The only time I ever do fire declarations the proper way is when it matters, like when someone loaded infernos and has closed into SRM range. Then the fire declarations become a more tactical choice, like picking a target for your infernos who has chosen to overextend their weapon use.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Porkface posted:

Writing it down each time you fire a weapons seems really laborious and would slow down the game even more.

I’ve always used hex marks, it really only takes a second. Then again I’m the guy writing a physical log of events when I’m hosting campaign sessions - which is a lot of fun!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Baron Porkface posted:

This is just embracing Battletech, honestly. If you want to actually play this game and keep your sanity just use Megamek

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is just embracing Battletech, honestly. If you want to actually play this game and keep your sanity just use Megamek

Are there good tutorials for how to use / play Megamek? I have been trying to use this and wrap my brain around it, but it feels massively overwhelming and complicated just to do very basic stuff.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Looks like the Wave 1 star/lance packs have hit amazon, with a supposed release date of 7/31 (doubt it)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

Looks like the Wave 1 star/lance packs have hit amazon, with a supposed release date of 7/31 (doubt it)

I didn't think these were support to hit retail until next year. Nice!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Catalyst doesn't sell through Amazon, everything you seen on that site is a lie unless it's come direct from Catalyst somewhere else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TRO: Golden Century came out today. I know it's $15 so I shouldn't expect something to the same scale as, for example, 3075, but I am REALLY disappointed by the amount of recycled art in here. There's 29 units in there, three of which are reprints from the Era Digest. Another five are C or IIc upgrades to an existing unit. So okay, maybe those aren't going to have new art. But a lot of the new units are just recycling art from something that came before or later. It's not all bad, and I especially appreciate seeing new WarShips in a book for once, but CGL has generally done a good job with older versions of units and making something that is similar but reads as less refined, so I was really let down. I was looking forward to seeing what they would do with a book about that intermediate step between "we're still using SLDF gear" and the 3050s Omnis.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

3 generations of Black Knight all merged into one cohesive miniature.

The pose is even evocative of the original Black Knight's PPC, which was attached to the upper arm rather than the forearm. :allears:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 1, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's beautiful.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
They've really been nailing it with the new sculpts. Nothing has made me want to play Battletech like this in years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

These new models are great, but they wont be available until the year these mechs become available in the lore. :v:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Wave one lockdown of the Clan Invasion has occured. Hope this means we'll be getting our stuff in the next month or two

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I need to find the address change link. We're moving next week.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Friendship ended with Phantom C/Black Lanner D, now Ice Ferret J is my best friend

From ilClan recognition guide vol 4.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Black Lanner D is still getting my vote if it comes down to the wire but the Ice Ferret J is absolutely a good config. I can't actually think of a config that I didn't like, and there were six of the loving things.

Other fun/hilarious things from RecGuide Vol 4:

- The Wasp is the most numerous Light 'Mech in 3150
- This is a new development, and the little fuckers are everywhere
- More Wasps have been destroyed by ammo explosion than have every run out of ammo. This is a canon statement in an official product. :allears:
- Mercer Ravinnion, three-time DCMS Ballroom Dancing Champion.
- A Wasp pilot who signed on with the ELH in 3023, was in the Clan Homeworlds during the Wars of Reaving, and is still piloting his Wasp in the Escorpion Imperio in 3090.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

- The Wasp is the most numerous Light 'Mech in 3150
- This is a new development, and the little fuckers are everywhere

I don't think so? The Stinger entry in TRO: PP says the Stinger is the second most common mech in existence right after the Wasp. So it's been that way since AT LEAST 3067.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't think so? The Stinger entry in TRO: PP says the Stinger is the second most common mech in existence right after the Wasp. So it's been that way since AT LEAST 3067.

In what is admittedly an assumption on my part, I don't think it's out of the question to assume that the drawdown, no matter how notional it might have been to some parties, might have changed that balance.

The line from the Recognition Guide that makes me think it's a new development is:

quote:

Thanks to the Wolf
Empire’s conquest of Kalidasa and subsequent ramping
up of Wasp production, not even the Locust or Stinger
outnumber it in modern times.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's fair. If you're going to choose which mechs to scrap and which ones to keep around, you're going to junk a Wasp and keep a Wolfhound-5.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, pretty much.

The Wasp WSP-5A is actually cheap enough and fast enough I'd seriously consider keeping it around. And 100% less likely to be rendered unsalvageable by ammo explosion. An ER Medium and Streak SRM-2 bouncing around at 8/12/8 and ~500ish BV isn't half bad. The biggest knock against it is that it has single heat sinks, but a jumping alpha of +5 with that jump range doesn't strike me as worrisome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Quick question regarding the Clan Invasion box. Does the rulebook included only have rules for Clan stuff or is it basically a complete rulebook with everything you need to know to get started? The Kickstarter says a core rulebook PDF would be sent to every backer so backers wouldn't need previous sets to play, but I'm thinking about people who buy the box off the shelf and have no prior experience with Battletech.