Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I feel like there are some westerns and samurai movies with that idea but they aren't quite comedies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Charlie Chaplin isn’t jacked in The Kid but he probably had wino strength.

Pairing a child actor with a star is basically as old as the movies but overly muscled weirdos weren’t headlining films until the 70s at earliest

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

morestuff posted:

Charlie Chaplin isn’t jacked in The Kid but he probably had wino strength.

Pairing a child actor with a star is basically as old as the movies but overly muscled weirdos weren’t headlining films until the 70s at earliest

I think you're forgetting about Hercules in New York

E: wikipedia says 1970 but Google told me 1969 hence my post

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm actually running into trouble attempting to sharply define the subgenre, cause I'm really about the specific idea of these movies starring an established masculinity icon who isn't primarily an actor. But that kinda falls apart with The Pacifier cause Vin Diesel is primarily an actor rather than a wrestler or bodybuilder. At the same time, while there's a definite genre of "manly men thrown into taking care of kids", which Three Men And A Baby and Mr. Mom definitely fall under, I still instinctively feel that there is a specific subgenre of "manly men you already know as manliness icons thrown into taking care of kids".

Of course, then you get into thinking about by what virtues a manliness icon is actually defined in each era of popular media - can you really discount Tom Selleck because he isn't a sports star - and long story short I think there might be an actual media/gender studies thesis in there.

(With the general theme of these movies being "(traditionally) masculine man has to take on (traditionally) feminine qualities" I don't think we can discount Mrs. Doubtfire as a particularly overt example.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

regulargonzalez posted:

I think you're forgetting about Hercules in New York

We're all trying to forget Hercules in New York. But leading musclemen in movies go back a hell of a long way, particularly in Italy. The first really famous one was probably Bartolomeo Pagano, who played the Hercules analogue Maciste in what were known as "peplum" movies from 1914 to 1928:

Not modern bodybuilder size, of course, but those kind of people didn't even exist until modern training regimens and drugs came into the picture. Maciste movies ended when Pagano retired, but came back into vogue for about ten years after Steve Reeves revived the genre with Hercules in 1957. The last one was 1964's Hercules, Samson, Maciste and Ursus: The Invincibles, which may qualify as the first superhero crossover movie. It starred Sergio Ciani (AKA Alan Steel) as Hercules, and here you can see that it was pretty much the modern standard.

Reeves:

Ciani

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Tom Servo: You know Hercules, he’s against any kind of moon men.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
I'm trying to think of the name of this film. I'll give it a brief synopsis.

The story follows some guy with a wife and son and odd things keep happening. It ends with him fighting a sheeted monster in a circle of occult worshipers and it turns out it is his wife under the sheet with her son strapped to her back?

Cheers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ipissedmyself posted:

The story follows some guy with a wife and son and odd things keep happening. It ends with him fighting a sheeted monster in a circle of occult worshipers and it turns out it is his wife under the sheet with her son strapped to her back?

Cheers

Kill List.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?

Jedit posted:

Kill List.

Cheers, that's definitely it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tangentially related question: was that the movie that spawned the "musclebound he-man media star has to deal with children" subgenre, or is there something earlier? So far I've got a list of Mr. Nanny, Kindergarten Cop, The Pacifier, Tooth Fairy and My Spy, and could organize the worst cinematic retrospective in history.

Gamera. :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Overboard is the "comedy" about Kurt Russell exploiting a woman with amnesia, kidnapping her, and tricking her into raising his kids, right?

This sounds like it owns. Wasn't this remade in the last couple years?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sigher posted:

This sounds like it owns. Wasn't this remade in the last couple years?

Two years or so ago, yeah. Anna Faris was great in it but the rest of the movie was a wet fart.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I remember seeing some campy horror/scifi/comedy thing years ago from probably the 80s about a weird alien monster that would jump out of tvs. In the end it turned out to be some other aliens pet.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Terror Vision maybe?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Ipissedmyself posted:

Cheers

I recommend everyone watch this film.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I remember seeing some campy horror/scifi/comedy thing years ago from probably the 80s about a weird alien monster that would jump out of tvs. In the end it turned out to be some other aliens pet.

Almost Blue posted:

Terror Vision maybe?

Definitely sounds like Terrorvision. loving love that movie. So weirdly acted.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Here's an obscure one.
Friend wants to find a film from Golden Harvest, asian film company.
Its from the 70s, sent in the 70s, and it has a woman playing a man.
Thats all he remembers atm, will add more if he remembers anything else.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

happyhippy posted:

Here's an obscure one.
Friend wants to find a film from Golden Harvest, asian film company.
Its from the 70s, sent in the 70s, and it has a woman playing a man.
Thats all he remembers atm, will add more if he remembers anything else.

He's a woman she's a man

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sorry, not that. He says its an old style kung fu movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

happyhippy posted:

Sorry, not that. He says its an old style kung fu movie.

Here's everything they've made, might help to flip through the years he's thinking of

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Thanks, he found it!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071316/

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Love that poor review from somebody who watched it in Chinese and doesn't understand Chinese. Weird that they wouldn't recommend it!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

So this half-remembered, maybe-not-even-real movie from out of my childhood has been bugging me and maybe somebody's heard of it.

It's got a bit of a western-ish vibe, but is distinctly post-apocalyptic. I believe twins (or brothers, but I think it was the same actor?) are involved, where one of them (a biologist? or something?) gets killed and the other goes ham on a bunch of raider types. The one thing about it that did stick is that they played up this "game" thing as a form of dueling, where they both put a bullet on the ground, had to pick it up, load it, and fire. I think. I may be making the details up.

I remember it being awful.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

It was Terror-Vision, thank you!

Googling "alien monster that comes out of tvs" did not get good results.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've noticed over the past few years that google has gotten way worse with search results for these kinds of inquiries. Once upon a time, that would have probably worked. Now, it just hones in on one or two words, like 'alien' or 'movie', and spews out a ton of irrelevant bullshit.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

trying to remember something weird someone I know streamed way back in the day (like two or three years ago)

almost definitely european (german or french probably. maybe polish?)
set in an apartment building where all the tenants are extremely dysfunctional
something horrific in the basement?
some sort of subplot about the local equivalent of child protective services, whose agent possibly gets murdered in the course of events?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

hexwren posted:

trying to remember something weird someone I know streamed way back in the day (like two or three years ago)

some sort of subplot about the local equivalent of child protective services, whose agent possibly gets murdered in the course of events?

Delicatessen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtGq58LZnE

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hexwren posted:

Probably not it but maybe you misremembered some details -- Polanski's 'The Tenant' fits about half of that description

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sentinel does as well I think

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was able to get ahold of the original streamer, it turns out it was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Otik

thanks for looking into it, tho!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I have a memory from a film I've been trying to place. It's a flashback to the main character as a kid and his mother at an art gallery, I think it was a reception. There's a work of art on the wall that has a bicycle wheel and the mom spins it. An attendant comes around the corner and sees the wheel still in motion and the mom like glares at the kid and pulls him away. I swear this was in Beginners (2010) the first time i saw it but I've never seen this scene in it on repeated viewings.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Jenny Agutter posted:

I have a memory from a film I've been trying to place. It's a flashback to the main character as a kid and his mother at an art gallery, I think it was a reception. There's a work of art on the wall that has a bicycle wheel and the mom spins it. An attendant comes around the corner and sees the wheel still in motion and the mom like glares at the kid and pulls him away. I swear this was in Beginners (2010) the first time i saw it but I've never seen this scene in it on repeated viewings.

This is really familiar and I can't place it, I think its a good deal older that 2010 if that helps.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
was listening to NPR iirc today, they mention China's number one movie being about (3?) students who suspect a teacher of being a killer and what it's REAAALY about is how hard it is to be a parent in China and also the police are really good dudes (angels is the word used)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Have one for you.
Recent movie, last few years I think.
Set in a US rural town.
Female lead, she's hunted by a group, possibly the whole town.
And she is a John Wick style killer herself.

Once scene has her 'friend' that is helping her get outted as being in on the plot to get her over a walkie talkie.

Edit: gently caress found it literally a minute after posting this. The Hunt with Hillary Swank and Emma Roberts

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 3, 2020

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I have a really annoying one that has been stuck in my head for the past few days.

The scene in my head is either one or two guys taking a taxi journey. At the end of the trip, the taxi driver gives some massively overpriced fare. His reasoning being that's what is says on the meter. At which point one of the guys rips the meter from its housing, shakes the meter which then goes down to the proper price. The taxi driver says something to the effect of "The meter lied. It's a lying meter".

In my head the guy ripping the meter out is Arnold Schwarzenegger. Am I right in that? any clues?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tsietisin posted:

I have a really annoying one that has been stuck in my head for the past few days.

The scene in my head is either one or two guys taking a taxi journey. At the end of the trip, the taxi driver gives some massively overpriced fare. His reasoning being that's what is says on the meter. At which point one of the guys rips the meter from its housing, shakes the meter which then goes down to the proper price. The taxi driver says something to the effect of "The meter lied. It's a lying meter".

In my head the guy ripping the meter out is Arnold Schwarzenegger. Am I right in that? any clues?

Police Academy 3: Back in Training. It was Bubba Smith doing it after a foreign cadet gets dropped off.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 4, 2020

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Of course this now means that I have to admit to watching Police academy 3...

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
And your question was helpfully answered by a docent at the Police Academy Academy of the Fine Arts. I used to go before Covid shut us down : (

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Reiterating my film.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I suddenly remembered some TV movie that would have come on the air...probably early 90's, maybe late 80's. It was about some woman who got arrested because fifteen years ago she robbed a bank because her violent ex took her kids and she needed money. My mom turned it off because she hated the content (IIRC she basically sold her body for aid in regards to the robbery) and I always wondered how it ended.

It aired on one of the original three networks: I think CBS but can't say for certain. Very Lifetime Movie Of The Week sort of film.

It's been in the back of my head repeatedly and it's driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

There’s a scene in a movie where a guy is talking to another guy. Trying to explain how to act. Something along the lines of being cool and mysterious. The audience isn’t sure if they like him or not. A real lee Marvin.

In my head it sounds like Tarantino but also maybe Vince Vaughn? I’ve checked swingers and reservoir dogs and I can’t find the exact quote anywhere.