Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But lord, during all the difficult moments on the road I only saw one set of skid marks.

Edit: ahh gently caress I sniped the page. Rant.. rant.. ok uh, what’s the DEAL with POs, am I right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Sagebrush posted:

in america, especially with the current social mood, this is probably a real good way to get shot.

that said i have done it before and it's real satisfying. last time i knocked on someone's window it was because they were laying on their horn behind a guy who was trying to turn left at a no-left-turn sign...except the sign had active hours and it was not during those hours. please learn to read thank
I'm gonna say that it's probably pretty safe to knock on a Tesla window. As a Tesla owner, I have to say that it's an amazingly easy way to troll Tesla forums by posting a question about how to fit a pistol lockbox or holster in your Tesla.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

Jesus is really more of a Honda guy.

THE BIBLE, IKE!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ooh, I’m also the Progressive Insurance trailer with a dead motorcyclist on it lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What would happen if you eagerly grabbed as many of the offered Bibles as possible, then immediately and violently disposed of them by fire, for example? Get shot?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

hopefully :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just grab a handful of books and walk away saying something about never needing to buy shop towels again

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My one and only bike/bible experience was not at all like that.

I was on my elite 250 at a Walmart once and it was not running great, so I pulled out the big honkin 2 foot long Phillips which oddly did fit in the glove box of the elite and proceeded to adjust the A/F screw.

This involved squatting down next to it while it was on the center stand and running, fishing the screwdriver through a tiny grommeted hole in the fairing trying to hit a screw head a foot away from the hole.

This woman who was parked next to me came up to her car and goes “oh, bless you” which I could only kind of hear over the idiling engine next to my head, so
I turned around and said “what?” revealing that I was working on the scooter.

“Oh, I thought you were praying” she says, seeming almost pissed to find that I wasn’t.

:wtc:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Praying to the pilot gods for a full harvest and a stable idle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Missing my old “Carbs Rule Everything Around Me” title, and for that matter the weirdly large amount of Wu Tang titles we used to have in CA

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

What would happen if you eagerly grabbed as many of the offered Bibles as possible, then immediately and violently disposed of them by fire, for example? Get shot?

Of course. This is America, after all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yuns posted:

I'm gonna say that it's probably pretty safe to knock on a Tesla window. As a Tesla owner, I have to say that it's an amazingly easy way to troll Tesla forums by posting a question about how to fit a pistol lockbox or holster in your Tesla.

With a Tesla I’d be at least as concerned that the car would run over me independent of what the driver does.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just don't wear your Firetruck shirt and you're good.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Oh god, I just learned that NYC now has Revel electric scooter rentals (limited to 30 mph, no motorcycle endorsement needed, and as little as $1 to unlock). Apparently they've caused a noticeable uptick in ER visits. This is going to be worse than the most wobbly citibike riders. Renting a scooter on vacation in the Caribbean is significantly different than doing so in the middle of NYC. I don't want to be an elitist about this but as someone who lived and rode in NYC for years; in my opinion, it takes quite a bit of experience and caution to stay safe on a motorcycle in NYC and I'm not sure that people who don't even have endorsements are up for NYC riding.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 27, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I remember hearing about that a while ago and was pretty sure it was a horrible idea. I guess you'd hope most people would be too intimidated by traffic to really get out there on one of those, but most tourists shouldn't even be driving a car in major metropolitan areas.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hahaha, NYC is the most dangerous riding environment I've ever been in, and I've rode through 20 something States, what a horrible idea.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The only city riding I’ve done is SF, but even that I can’t imagine someone never ridden before going out on a scooter and having a good time yikes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I dunno. People kept saying cycling in London is insane and will get you killed instantly. It's not that bad.

People also said Glasgow for motorbikes is just mayhem. I was there last week for the first time on my motorbike, it wasn't bad at all.

I think people exaggerate a bit when it comes to how poo poo cities are to be on a bike (pedal or motor).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I drove through NYC in a compact car twice and I'll literally never do that again. It was the most horrible and scary experience, and I live in a city notorious for it's traffic. Nobody in NYC should be allowed to have a car for the remainder of their lives.

The idea of a total random who doesn't know how to ride taking a 30mph scooter into that is total suicide. I bet no one on those even wears a helmet, and they are most likely intoxicated when they rent it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I have about 10 years experience riding motorcycles that all weigh more than 500lbs, and I'd never get on a scooter in NYC. Those people (renting scoots with no endorsement/experience) are crazy.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah I think scary New York traffic is less a factor than people going 30 on an unfamiliar vehicle without helmets. A reporter died a few days ago after getting tossed off one, and here’s the latest crash written up

quote:

Two men were rushed to the hospital early Saturday, one with critical injuries, after their Revel scooter crashed into a light pole in upper Manhattan, police said.
Francis Nunez, 30, and his 32-year-old passenger were rolling down Wadsworth Terrace near Fairview Ave. in Fort George about 4:30 a.m. when the younger man lost control of the moped.

But I’m also sure the NY tabloids are giddy to make this into a thing. Not like there aren’t plenty of, say, pedestrian accidents they could write about on any given day.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ought ten posted:

But I’m also sure the NY tabloids are giddy to make this into a thing. Not like there aren’t plenty of, say, pedestrian accidents they could write about on any given day.

Probably. Revzilla's podcast Highside/Lowside had an episode recently where they talk about motorcycle-friendly areas (like CA, and the rest of the world), and what it would take to get that kind of bike acceptance in the rest of the US. For some reason, everyone is dead-set on vilifying motorcycles, which will prevent us from ever getting lane splitting or dedicated bike parking or lower tolls in other areas. Somehow playing Candy Crush in their Suburban with Level 2 autonomous cruise control is safer and more acceptable for people and legislators.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve driven in most of the major metropolitan areas of the US. NYC, Philly, LA, Chicago, SF, PHX, San Diego to name a few. Some of them for weeks at a time, and NYC traffic is no joke. It’s the only place that made me ditch my rental car and just uber/taxi everywhere.

It is not fun in any way whatsoever and is just insanely crazy in ways that the other major cities aren’t. All of those cities have traffic congestion for sure, but only NYC has that added dollop of insanity that comes from packing 2x the population of LA into 150 less square miles than LA.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

To be clear, I’m not saying this scooter thing isn’t stupidly dangerous, because it definitely is. Just that it’s the kind of thing tabloids eat right up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If the DUIcycles in Toronto are any comparison, mixing with car traffic isn't going to be the problem, it's mixing with pedestrians on sidewalks and bicycles and joggers in bike trails/lanes.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I lived and rode in Manhattan for many years (am now in the NJ suburbs). There are a lot of people who ride in NYC but it's a pretty unforgiving learning curve until you get enough experience to deal with it. Buses, taxis, Ubers, are all really aggressive and there is little traffic enforcement. The rules of the road and etiquette are pretty different in NYC than outside NYC. So it is tolerable for experienced rider. Put a rider with no endorsement or experience on an e-scooter with a passenger and have them not wear the included helmets and then have them learn in NYC traffic is a pretty interesting business model. Yes the Post and Daily News are going to play up the "carnage" and fear, but drat. Thank god the Revel scooters are not allowed on the bridges and highways because there are enormous potholes on the FDR and traffic is moving fast with zero room between vehicles.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
IDK I enjoy being in lawless traffic hellholes. Once I realized that driving in the Chicago Loop was different than anywhere else in the city, it was tons of fun to drive down there, and also to ride my (real) bike. You can do whatever the hell you want downtown. It's hilarious. It makes me want to go drive in Rome (but not in Russia).

I don't remember driving in Manhattan, but we did Bike New York a couple times, and riding our bicycles back to the hotel through Manhattan afterward was insanely fun and stupid. It reminded me of being a dumb kid in Chicago, riding up Clark with my brother, dodging buses and pedestrians.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I also do. Riding in cities in SE Asia is very very fun. But I’m also glad not to be doing it on a daily basis.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
About 3 weeks ago I was rear ended at the lights by a £80,000 Merc. I can't remember if I bitched about it in here at the time but basically I agreed to not go through insurance and have the bike inspected by my great local shop if he would pay for repairs in cash.

I recorded an admission of fault from him at the scene which turned out to be a brilliant idea because he proceeded to try and wriggle out of it for the next fortnight saying he was going to talk to his lawyers and that I was a liar out for his hard earned money, etc. Also fortunately I recorded our phone call (not admissable in court or whatever but still a good reference recording) where he spent the first 15 minutes calling me all sorts of names (but also admitted guilt several times again).

My local shop was brilliant, and spent 6 hours trying to diagnose the ABS fault caused by the knock (charged for 3 including getting the local Yamaha dealer involved). I sent the invoice off to the guy and am washing my hands of it. I brought them some beers when I collected the bike today and they were genuinely made up.

I will insist on insurance every time now and just leave the bike in the hands of whoever the insurance company chooses. Lesson learned.

Always record altercations if you can!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

And always, always go through insurance

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why have insurance if you can't let them do the hassle for you. It costs nothing if you aren't at fault. I don't want to make you feel worse about something you admit is a mistake, just never trust anyone ever.

Even if someone at an accident gave me 2x what my bike is worth in verified cash, I wouldn't take it. What if you have medical complications from it?

gently caress anyone who asks for you not to involve insurance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog posted:

Why have insurance if you can't let them do the hassle for you. It costs nothing if you aren't at fault. I don't want to make you feel worse about something you admit is a mistake, just never trust anyone ever.

Even if someone at an accident gave me 2x what my bike is worth in verified cash, I wouldn't take it. What if you have medical complications from it?

In most states it is perfectly legal for the insurance company to raise your premiums after you make any claim, even for a not-at-fault accident. Yeah you won't pay immediately out of pocket but the insurance company will more than make their money back over the next few years. They say "it's all about risk" and the proof given is that you must have been doing something risky or you wouldn't have gotten in the position to have the accident.

Welcome to America.

(California, at least, makes this practice illegal, and your rates cannot be raised for a not-at-fault accident).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

You still have to pay the excess, and it still gets counted as a claim even if it doesn't hurt your NCB, so it can work out a lot more expensive in the long run. Also the £ sign should have been an indicator that OP is in a (just about, for now) civilised society where medical complications have no financial ramifications.

While it's shonky as hell that the bloke would have offered money, those factors go double if it's actually your fault - keeping that claim off your record is worth a shitload, so it's worth giving it a go. Personally I've been in that situation twice - once when a van backed into my parked bike, which only caused a few scratches and I took £50 cash off the bloke right then and there because even though I knew it would end up costing more than that (actually came to about £75) it was less hassle for us both. The second one, after the fourth time the minicab that had t-boned me offered to pay cash when I asked for his insurance details I called the police because I was certain he wasn't insured. Turns out he was and also my insurers were loving pointless and accepted 80/20 fault my way - I'd have been a lot better off if I'd just taken his money.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
A few reasons why I didn't go for insurance at the time - my big crash was 5 years ago in October and still isn't paid out, I didn't want my premiums to go up, and - most naively of me - I thought I would do this guy a favour.

On a side note, solicitors are the absolute worst and if I didn't have my dad's probate, the aforementioned crash wrangling and a house purchase all currently in progress I'd quite happily never talk to one ever again.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Sagebrush posted:

In most states it is perfectly legal for the insurance company to raise your premiums after you make any claim, even for a not-at-fault accident. Yeah you won't pay immediately out of pocket but the insurance company will more than make their money back over the next few years. They say "it's all about risk" and the proof given is that you must have been doing something risky or you wouldn't have gotten in the position to have the accident.

Welcome to America.

(California, at least, makes this practice illegal, and your rates cannot be raised for a not-at-fault accident).

I'm in Massachusetts and was getting a zero incident discount (no tickets, accidents, etc.) that I lost when I was rear ended by an under insured driver and my premium went up like $150 the next year because I not only lost the discount but now there was also a claim that was made where my insurance had to pay out. I did nothing wrong and still got nailed. That being said, I'd still rather let the insurance do all the bullshit and deal with the other guy that had no money and no insurance than take his word for it that he'd do me a solid once I got an estimate.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I wish USAA would insure my bikes, I've been in a couple.not-at-faults with them, and they'll pay out with a waived deductible within a couple days. You tend to pay upfront for this privilege though.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Ive been in a few accidents, both not my fault, where Ive had the people try to very aggressively offer money. Both times Ive had to threaten involving the police and once had to make the claim myself and involve witness statements so the insurance company paid out and went after them.

Im glad Ive not been in any accidents since then and hope to keep it that way, car or bike.

Always record, always get their info, always involve insurance, try to get witnesses, I was lucky to be with my friends I could use as witnesses.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I wish USAA would insure my bikes, I've been in a couple.not-at-faults with them, and they'll pay out with a waived deductible within a couple days. You tend to pay upfront for this privilege though.

For real. I get a pretty good deal from Progressive because of them, but i'd really like to have everything on one bill.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The death scooter company “voluntarily” closed up shop in NYC. They say they’re reassessing safety protocols lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Elviscat posted:

Wait this is not the case? When I first inquired I was directed to progressive due to them saying they didnt insure new motorcycle riders, but I am coming up on being able to switch back to USAA for auto insurance this September after 5 long years and was hoping to roll the motorcycle back in with them too