Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm still not sure I understand this. It has a display on half the case on the diagonal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

the AniMe Matrix LED

graph, where are you?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

AniMe Matrix LED

holy poo poo lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

I'm still not sure I understand this. It has a display on half the case on the diagonal?

yes, it has a low res led display on half of the back of the screen chassis, diagonally

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i'm going to program mine to show 1/2 of an apple logo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as far as dumb gamer led poo poo goes that's pretty cool. incredibly pointless, and i wouldn't be seen with one, but still pretty cool.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's neat, but at that point, why not make the whole thing a display?

like, the world's least functional dual screen design. it would be very asus

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I had to stare at that for a while to realize that it's the back of the screen and intentional, not just the usual failure mode for linux video drivers or the usual failure mode for asus laptops

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

why would they only cover half the screen

i'd consider buying this piece of poo poo if it was a full square, even more so if it was full rgb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

baby steps. they have to make it look reallly dumb and broken to kill any interest for normals before proceeding

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it's neat, but at that point, why not make the whole thing a display?

like, the world's least functional dual screen design. it would be very asus

one good reason to not make it the whole surface is to avoid inviting confusion about its purpose. its stylistic nonsense and its just as well that it is immediately clear that that is the case.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
two is better than one its not that complicated

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

asus also created a laptop with a mega touchbar that's an ergonomic nightmare to use but all the tech journos love it because IT BROKE NEW GROUND

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

why would they only cover half the screen

bc the hip webshits need some space to put their php stickers

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

which company made the lafftop with, i think, touchpad between the keyboard and the screen, and a way to open it so that it looks like uss enterprise?

e: the answer is acer. it always is

https://techland.time.com/2013/06/05/acer-aspire-r7-review-the-star-trek-laptop-needs-a-next-generation/

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

speaking of laptops

New KDE Slimbook Released - Powered By AMD Ryzen 7 4800H

guessing it's a sager or a compal, but cool nevertheless

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

converts to a slimebook shortly after purchase

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

looks okay. lol at the linux sticker

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i'm the kde key

pram
Jun 10, 2001

wheres the pcmcia and vga port

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it is an odm pc from tongfang https://www.notebookcheck.net/Budge...U.465890.0.html

should've had a 4k monitor

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as far as dumb gamer led poo poo goes that's pretty cool. incredibly pointless, and i wouldn't be seen with one, but still pretty cool.

it's funny because it's the single most serious design REPUBLIC OF GAMERS laptop Asus has ever made

they usually have the all-caps logo in blazing crimson leds

back when it came out it was one of the best laptops with the new amd chips around, now I dunno

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

this kind of thing:

the logo and text lights up, and there's more red led logos on the other side of the lid

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my stepdads beer posted:

i lost hte microsoft thread . anyway I've been using edge so I can have work and home profiles and it's great. thanks microsoft.

what are you doing here

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i use the wine browser

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

what are you doing here

i use edge. and the built in bing search and it's needs suiting

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i like to bing it up the rear end, as it were

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sorry for phoronixposting, but

There's An Effort By A System76 Engineer To Bring Coreboot To Newer AMD Platforms

im guessing that'll do nothing about psp, but anything helps

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Pinebook Pro report:

something somewhere broke and you can't do full-disk encryption.
it's slow as poo poo, the wifi sucks (though that might be distro-dependent???)
trackpad is trash and you can't disable tap-to-click, but someone reverse-engineered the firmware and improved it (maybe).
the debouncing on the keyboard is inexplicably not good and sometimes a key will double-press.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the os sounds like a real pos, op

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

Pinebook Pro report:

trackpad is trash and you can't disable tap-to-click, but someone reverse-engineered the firmware and improved it (maybe).
the debouncing on the keyboard is inexplicably not good and sometimes a key will double-press.

hmm all those things work on my macbook pro op

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

don’t jinx yourself on that mbp keyboard

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

no he's right you never have to worry about the macbook registering too many keypresses

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Carter posted:

Pinebook Pro report:

I’m so glad I didn’t see this and ordered mine yesterday.

but I’m also real dumb and have one of their brokeass cluster boards already

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

wow open sores resulted in a bad product?

surprising

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

Pinebook Pro report:

Years ago I bought a Pine 64 board, and that experience cured me from ever wanting to buy another Pine product ever again. Their support is nonexistent, especially after the kickstarter was over. Shocking I know.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The important question: will it adequately run pine?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

The important question: will it adequately run elm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

lmbo about this part:

quote:

Video playback on browsers is not really nice. Youtube works in the default size, but fullscreen causes a massive frame rate drop. Fullscreen video playback in e.g. VLC is smooth.

that's close to what I remember hearing in this 2010 video review of a 2003 iBook G4 powerpc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBO4y_w7P2I

looks about similar experience, good job

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 27, 2020