Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Waiting with bated breath for a prize provided by Sleep Country Canada.

Why buy a mattress anywhere else tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
DRCAN: JBC is a poo poo judge because he opens his mouth about poo poo he doesn't know about (fashion*) and he's playing into some weird mean gay character for judging.

*Doesn't realize that the specific Early Modern fashion being referenced by Jimbo literally did only apply white to the face, neck and chest

*Doesn't understand the concept of monochromatic accent outfits on a runway which team metal actually did (but did not pull off completely because Lemon's materials didn't match very well)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

The Little Death posted:

One thing I hate about the costume versus couture thing though it it can seem arbitrary. Jimbo looked great but it was unquestionably a costume. It was a queen from a fairytale. It was certainly much more elaborate than Tynomi or Ilona, but not less costumey. There are ways they could have embellished those knight looks, but that's different than Brooke Lynn's critique of the concept, which I don't think was very fair.

Yeah I can't really argue with that, it's definitely inconsistent.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
DRCanYouTalkAbootItElsewhere more like

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Wife and I realized why we like Priyanka so much, and it’s cause she’s giving off season 6 adore vibes. I think it’s the yell-talking?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

agreed the judging is kind of loose on canada’s drag race but tbh I’d take almost anybody with a modicum of charisma over Ru at this point. It helps that the triumvirate are all very cool people that wouldn’t yet be able to tentpole the show independent of each other, and I like how the format provisions for the guest judge to walk to cover girl and do the intros. Too often do meeker guests get swallowed by the pun-centric editing on mainline.

agreed that the bottom probably have deserved to be different last week but if I was a producer I’d find it extremely difficult to pass up the symmetry for the lipsync.

I’m really liking DRCAN’s slight kill-your-masters narrative. 3 of the 4 queens that have gone home have been huge names outside of the show; DRUK had a bit of this as well but it hits a little closer when it’s the Toronto crop thinning.

Too bad Kyne poo poo the bed on two consecutive episodes. I’ll always cheer a filipino queen (even when they’re kind of busted like Jaja or Vivienne)

The Little Death posted:

This has been stuck in my brain all day

Oliver the Cash Man sponsored ad challenge please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSQVVHyvOZU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Shea was the only possible winner for AS5 considering how much the edit focused on her trauma of losing her family and also Season 9. Even if Jujube is so amazingly consistent in every season she's been on it would just seem like a dick move to hand it to anyone to Shea. "She went through all of this misery and in the end... came up short" would probably be really bad.

Which also sucks because at this point it feels like they just brought Juju on to extract more TV out of her without ever planning to give her any wins.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Give Juju all the cat product endorsement deals. We demand it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://twitter.com/nowtoronto/status/1287414774565937152?s=19

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, AS5 did feel very Chad-like for Shea, in the sense the majority of the season felt like an excuse to give Shea the crown she earned in season 9. Shea losing was arguably way more of an upset than Chad losing, too.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it sucks for someone like Juju who definitely deserved it and probably would have won it had she been on a season without Shea. Not that Shea didn't also earn it this year tbh, they both competed so drat well.

Still, making it to the end of 3 different seasons is a goddamn feat and Jujubee owns. She even managed to avoid the bottom and snatch her first challenge win this time around! The thing I most feel robbed of is more Jujubee lipsyncs, because she would have won quite a few challenges if we were doing the normal All-Stars format.

e: i'm just mildly buttmad our early season queens who can still turn it the gently caress out tend to get hosed over in some way on All-Stars, either because of the format or some silly tweest. which is also not necessarily a bad thing, but for me personally when i think of queens who deserve to be in the hall of fame I usually think of queens from old seasons who manage to still remain relevant and on the tip of people's tongues when they're asked who their favourite ru girl is

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 26, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Same but also very buttmad they throw early season queens under the bus on the reg

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

esperterra posted:

e: i'm just mildly buttmad our early season queens who can still turn it the gently caress out tend to get hosed over in some way on All-Stars, either because of the format or some silly tweest. which is also not necessarily a bad thing, but for me personally when i think of queens who deserve to be in the hall of fame I usually think of queens from old seasons who manage to still remain relevant and on the tip of people's tongues when they're asked who their favourite ru girl is

All Stars season featuring only girls from seasons 1, 2, and 3. With LSFYLegacy, without survivor-rear end eliminations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

which queen has benefited the most from their appearance on All-Stars? The rudimentary answer is Roxxxy, who got an extremely unfavourable edit in her original season w/r/t her attitude and disposition especially towards Jinkx, despite iconic moments like the wig reveal and the bus shelter story. AS2 Roxxxy is a delight through and through, culminating in her so-basic-it’s-transcendent Read U Wrote U verse. Arguments can be made for Tatianna, Aja, Bendela, Blair, and India, too.

Conversely, who came out of All-Stars a net negative reputation-wise? Adore, Gia, Jasmine, Mimi?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

MizuZero posted:

which queen has benefited the most from their appearance on All-Stars? The rudimentary answer is Roxxxy, who got an extremely unfavourable edit in her original season w/r/t her attitude and disposition especially towards Jinkx, despite iconic moments like the wig reveal and the bus shelter story. AS2 Roxxxy is a delight through and through, culminating in her so-basic-it’s-transcendent Read U Wrote U verse. Arguments can be made for Tatianna, Aja, Bendela, Blair, and India, too.

Conversely, who came out of All-Stars a net negative reputation-wise? Adore, Gia, Jasmine, Mimi?

Phi Phi you mean?

Because Phi Phi definitely

Which is funny because I still love her, and she never said anything but truth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pandora went from one of the very first fan favourites to being dunked on constantly after AS1 lmao

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I love Phi Phi and have always supported her 100% over Sharon (whose post-win behaviour has been pretty schiesty, with the racism and the gaslighting etc. etc.) but her AS2 edit did her no favours with regards to making her look less duplicitous and self-serving in the fandom’s eye. She showed off some killer looks and was willing to play the game irrespective of how it might make her seem, but hers wasn’t the leaps-and-bounds interstitial glow-up that, say, tatianna or aja exhibited.

he also has an extremely nerdy sleeve in progress (which I think works because, he’s extremely handsome)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Holy poo poo I forgot Mimi was on AS1 lol

E: that tattoo is amazing oh my god. I love him even more now

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 27, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jaremi seems like an awesome person who does not deserve the silly hate he still gets these days.

His streams are p fun too

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

MizuZero posted:

Milk

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I guess Drag Race Holland is also going to be a thing lmao

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

esperterra posted:

I guess Drag Race Holland is also going to be a thing lmao

My understanding is that BBC...3? I think? licensed the rights to a whole swarth of unowned "<Particular Country> <Reality Show>" rights, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw even more.
They're not directly associated with Ru though, so she'll likely remain only doing DR/DRAS/DRUK.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They're associated to Ru by virtue of being a licensed version of his show, and I imagine he'll tape some poo poo for it like with DRT and DRCAN.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/misterjench/status/1287446380341006343?s=09

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I liked Alaska less after her tantrum toward the end of AS2, it was just kinda gross.

To me, Milk in AS3 was horrible (delusional and really rude) and it turned me off her so that's my vote.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Gotta be honest I don't think I've ever come out of a season disliking a queen. I get why, but for me the contrived nature of the drama on drag race (or any reality tv show) makes me think "I wonder what the production crew did to instigate this/what did they cut out". I often skip over the workroom stuff, and basically don't watch untucked unless a specific episode is recommended to me. And some of the stuff that came out with how they've edited in the past (such as Gia on episode 1 of AS4), makes me distrust villain edits in particular.

One of the things I loved about Legendary as a realtiy tv show is that it veered away from that sort of model, even if I could have used a bit more background on the houses sometimes. But I'll take a more streamlined approach if it means I dont' have to pretend I'm watching organic interactions instead of play fights with a camera 3 feet from their faces.

E: This isn't meant to sound as condescending as I'm reading it as. I think I just don't like reality tv that much, and Drag Race captures my interest in spite of that.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 27, 2020

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What did they edit of Gia? She's a thoroughly horrible person but I'm interested in Hot Goss.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There's a scene that makes it seem like she's reveling in Farrah's failure, like smugly smiling while it's implied that Farrah is performing offscreen. But her outfit shows that that footage came from before her own performances, which happened before Farrah's. She was not smiling evilly at Farrah's failure.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I don't mind shady hoes like Gia (although her anti-covid bullshit was horrendous) but I cannot stand camera mugging and sucking the oxygen out of the room. Eureka and Silky are 100% the two worst for this and just seem like unbearable people to be around, but it IS reality TV so who knows how they really are. Bob TDQ could kinda be pointed at for this too but at least her constant stream of noise contained some pretty great performances.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

At least Eureka managed to get an HBO contract out of the mugging (and is like 50% less irritating in We're Here). So grateful they didn't go with Silky for that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the difference is that Bob is funny and charming.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No one watches Were Here

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ICHIBAHN posted:

No one watches Were Here

Other people in this thread have said they liked it.

I found it boring, and thought they focused too much on uninteresting subjects for their makeovers. I stopped after the third episode I think.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

None of the DR-adjacent shows really compel me enough to go out of my way to watch them.

Except Dragnificent. It has Juju and Bebe so it must be in the top tier.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Season 11 upset me a bit with all the random racism towards Plastique. Maybe it hits different cause I'm Asian myself but I'll never get the image of Silky yelling stop stop stop in Japanese at Plastique, a Vietnamese person from Vietnam, out of my head

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

Season 11 upset me a bit with all the random racism towards Plastique. Maybe it hits different cause I'm Asian myself but I'll never get the image of Silky yelling stop stop stop in Japanese at Plastique, a Vietnamese person from Vietnam, out of my head

I still cant get over the fact that Silky was a PhD candidate.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Being a PhD candidate can mean as little as "memorized a bunch of stuff and sat a written exam" or as much as "has already gotten partway through research that will make a significant contribution to the field". It varies by discipline, university, department, and supervisor. That being the case in some fields, and in some universities, it's possible for a complete idiot to be advanced to candidacy or even go all the way through and be Dr. Dumbass.

source: I am Dr. Dumbass and there are people my (actually pretty good) university let through that were :stonk:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Eej posted:

It's funny, cause season 11 was the first regular season with more than one Asian queen since like season 4 (but still fewer than the number of Davenports), and it would've been interesting if Soju had stayed long enough to be part of that conversation. Unfortunately, she was a terrible contestant, lol.

On that note, Jujubee's little speech at the finale made me tear up a little. It saddens me that there are probably tons of Asian queens as fierce as her that the show would do dirty- if they even get cast -since they don't seem to like having more than one Asian, much less letting them get far. *

* Interesting T I just read, though: Yuhua was apparently one of Ru's favorites, but production pressured Ru to chop her so as not to interfere with the Aquaria/Cracker rivalry. This terrible decision also led to Ru getting into fracking, so that's why we're in the worst timeline.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

gandlethorpe posted:

This terrible decision also led to Ru getting into fracking, so that's why we're in the worst timeline.

If this is a joke, I don't get it and would appreciate an explanation, and if it isn't I really wanna know how one thing led to another and got there

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Trig Discipline posted:

source: I am Dr. Dumbass and there are people my (actually pretty good) university let through that were :stonk:

True. I'm a JD, and know plenty of morons who have also acquired my degree.

gandlethorpe posted:

It's funny, cause season 11 was the first regular season with more than one Asian queen since like season 4

My recent rewatch made me realize that season 3 was the only season where the final 2 were both Asian.

Anyway, I came here to ask a question. Does anybody know why Ru's song Supermodel has never been used on the show? Instead they always use the very similar sounding song Cover Girl. I've always assumed that for whatever reason Ru doesn't hold the rights to Supermodel, but who does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Eej posted:

Also Michelle scolding someone raised abroad for accidentally dropping their cover accent