Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dissolve the marlins tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
baseball is the sport that is played outdoors, in the open air, where players spend their time dozens or even hundreds of feet away from one another

that it took three days for a team to become an overflowing petri dish really doesnt bode well for nfl or ncaa or nhl

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FMguru posted:

baseball is the sport that is played outdoors, in the open air, where players spend their time dozens or even hundreds of feet away from one another

that it took three days for a team to become an overflowing petri dish really doesnt bode well for nfl or ncaa or nhl

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

baseball would be the absolute easiest sport to distance but I'm guessing the players insist on continuing to sit in a clump in the dugout and spit everywhere and touch butts

multiple euro soccer leagues have restarted without any major outbreaks but yeah the nfl/ncaa football is doomed *skip to 200 years in the future* and that's what finally triggered the second civil war

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You quite literally cannot beat it into Americans' heads that everything has to stay switched off for over a year and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it no matter how upset they get

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it is hard to overstate the cultural importance of college football in some portions of this country

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Fabricated posted:

You quite literally cannot beat it into Americans' heads that everything has to stay switched off for over a year and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it no matter how upset they get

america is organizationally, legally and culturally incapable of dealing with something like covid well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

america is organizationally, legally and culturally incapable of dealing with something like covid well.

:yeah:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-phillies-mlb-season-20200727.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you'd have to do what the nhl is doing and put the entire league into a big quarantine several weeks ahead of the season and don't let them out or anyone else in for the duration

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

quote:

The Marlins learned Sunday morning that their starting pitcher for the afternoon and two other players had tested positive for COVID-19 and would be unable to play. An apparent coronavirus outbreak was underway in the visiting clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park and the Marlins responded by asking their shortstop to determine if the game against the Phillies would be played.
“He’s kind of an unofficial team captain of our club,” Marlins manager Don Mattingly said of Miguel Rojas. “He’s always texting the group and getting the feelings of the group. So when we’re dealing with situations or things, that’s usually who we’re working through.”

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

rotor posted:

The coolest part is that this is juussst bad enough when unchecked that the consequences cannot be powered through by just screaming everything is normal and trying to twist peoples' arms into going back out by killing unemployment benefits/eviction moratoriums. The powers that be really counted on just telling everyone to go back outside and pretend life is normal working and it's not, and they clearly didn't expect it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

you'd have to do what the nhl is doing and put the entire league into a big quarantine several weeks ahead of the season and don't let them out or anyone else in for the duration

on the upside, crosby DEFINITELY hasn't had an injury for a month

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

on the upside, crosby DEFINITELY hasn't had an injury for a month

one of the few upsides is that guentzel was able to recover over these past couple months

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

yep

even the relatively minor differences between canada and america really put this into focus

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

how is literally everything in florida so unbelievably stupid

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this is so literally unbelievable. like what the actual gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

seriously

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roosevelt posted:

old people

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
like why the gently caress is donnie baseball letting his shortshop make the call

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

florida is not supposed to support human life. it's lethally hot and humid, it's full of alligators and vermin and insects and tropical disease, the entire state is at -2 feet MSL, and it periodically gets scoured off the map by hurricanes. no one who isn't brain damaged chooses to live there.

even the native cultures who had nowhere else to go tended to cluster up in the panhandle, as far away from florida as they could get

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

in other news, enjoy your $600 unemployment boost getting slashed down to $200, you jobless layabouts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

in other news, enjoy your $600 unemployment boost getting slashed down to $200, you jobless layabouts

a US senator makes $3,480 a week (or $1054 per day that senate is actually in session).

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

florida is not supposed to support human life. it's lethally hot and humid, it's full of alligators and vermin and insects and tropical disease, the entire state is at -2 feet MSL, and it periodically gets scoured off the map by hurricanes. no one who isn't brain damaged chooses to live there.

even the native cultures who had nowhere else to go tended to cluster up in the panhandle, as far away from florida as they could get

also burmese pythons now in our enlightened modern era

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol

https://twitter.com/AdamHoyer/status/1287759909342388224

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

it is hard to overstate the cultural importance of college football in some portions of this country

in louisiana after jindal buttfucked the state budget they were looking at a shutdown and couldn't get all the conservative legislators to agree to anything to prevent it

then they held a special session after LSU announced that the shutdown would obviously close campus and lead to the cancellation of the entire upcoming season of tigers football. they fixed the budget after that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

yep. I had an old buddy from up in the panhandle piney woods and it was pretty rednecky but it was also somewhat chill and wasn't this weird neon amusement park hell world that is everything south of gainesville

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

then they held a special session after LSU announced that the shutdown would obviously close campus and lead to the cancellation of the entire upcoming season of tigers football. they fixed the budget after that

what's latin for "chik-fil-a and football"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

what's latin for "chik-fil-a and football"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh poo poo, Bobby Jindal. Is he still alive??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
he's 49 dude

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm so glad jindal left politics

gently caress that creationist piece of poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

thats a decent solution as long as the players and staff can keep it together. its the same thing i worry about with pods. theyre only as strong as the weakest link and theres a lot of weak links

my partners coworker was miffed their neighbors had sort of shunned her from their pod and couldnt understand why. the lady does almost nothing with a mask because she thinks she 'got it early on' but wont get tested to confirm and just goes through her routine with seemingly no concern :rolleyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector posted:

she thinks she 'got it early on' but wont get tested to confirm

hoverwife has people tell her this aaaaaalllllllllll the time, it seems to be a p common coping mechanism

but yeah they didn't have it, and if they did that's still no guarantee that they can't get it again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know a handful of people who have been going around telling everyone that they had gotten covid right near the beginning of the pandemic, and how omg you do NOT want covid it's SO BAD it wiped me out for a MONTH and so on, and now they're all gradually getting tested and it turns out no, they just had a really bad cold in march.

one of the people was sick in the middle of january ffs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mmm. i've noticed that phenomenon too.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
even if you had it and even if you can't get it again, you can still spread it but 100% these people aren't washing their hands or thinking about that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I still feel guilty because we had a team summit to learn some rust in early Feb here in Denver, riiiiight when it was still spooky china virus stuff. an NYC coworker was super nervous about it and i was a denier, "pshh it's fine we have good medical care even if it does hop over here". and then he was so right. this is why i'm intensely paranoid and careful about this six months later. I will never again have confidence that the united states can deal with any disruption whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
there was a regularass flu season too

our old neighbors all got it real bad, their kid had to go to the ER for developing a fever above 104 in late january