Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

so many recruiters care about my health.

small talk exists in conversation for the same purpose as planning exists in projects: as a way to see if talking/doingtheproject is a turbofuck poo poo idea or not with little risk. risk management in conversation is an essential sales skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Management posted:

if you are in a non-stupid state, moving to a stupid state right now is a bad idea.

Oh I do believe I will leverage this paradigm to the fullest extent possible

I enjoy practicing negotiation, if you only take it seriously on the jobs you WANT you're kneecapping yourself in terms of experience when it comes time to knuckle down and ask for what you want

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, moving to Ohio is rarely a "net-positive transaction" (as the kids say these days)?

Columbus is an underrated city, but yeah, the state kinda sucks.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m not talking about good versus bad places to live. there are states whose governments and significant parts of their citizenry are actively trying to spread a deadly virus. maybe avoid those for a while.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

if you are in a non-stupid state, moving to a stupid state right now is a bad idea.

they’re all stupid states :ssh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I rather wanted to remain in Ohio about a year ago actually. It's not quite a deep south neo-feudal KKK hell zone yet and I'd like to work somewhere in the US other than loving Manhattan for once.

New York is nice enough and not having to own a car is a plus, but this is the third time I've somehow ended up moving here and it kinda started getting old on attempt number two. There's a hundred million idiots in the world who dream of living here for god knows what reason, let them come instead. I've well and truly crossed it off my bucket list.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I rather wanted to remain in Ohio about a year ago actually. It's not quite a deep south neo-feudal KKK hell zone yet and I'd like to work somewhere in the US other than loving Manhattan for once.

New York is nice enough and not having to own a car is a plus, but this is the third time I've somehow ended up moving here and it kinda started getting old on attempt number two. There's a hundred million idiots in the world who dream of living here for god knows what reason, let them come instead. I've well and truly crossed it off my bucket list.

It's because it has the worse climate in the country.

Hot Humid Summer
Cold Humid Winter

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hughlander posted:

It's because it has the worse climate in the country.

Hot Humid Summer
Cold Humid Winter

whoops looks like you’re talking about washington dc instead

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

it's a dry humidity

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
growing up in California I was genuinely ignorant what people complaining about "humidity" even meant until sometime in high school when I traveled

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you’ll never understand why there are so many drat commercials for gold bond until you visit the south

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I for one am extremely curious as to whether my company which has historically been extremely anti-WFH will change their tone, seeing as how anyone who says "I feel more comfortable working with my family on the east coast" has gotten approval to do so.

I am not sure how well I could tolerate having to keep 12-9 work hours or knowing that my chances of career progression at this company might stall out.

On the other hand, I could buy an entire goddamn apartment building in NYC for the price of a house here.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
location based cost of living adjustments exist. many companies will bump you down in pay if you move out of the Bay Area

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

which is dumb, bad, and unsurprising.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

even if you did it temporarily and went back before they lower you salary. Being able to temporarily live in a lower CoL for Bay Area wages is like the people who live in their car to save money but instead you can live in something twice nicer than you’d have there and still save money regardless

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

hey dudes, just want to share my current vibe right now, as I just got offered a contract at a really cool company doing c++ development . starting Monday with a pay at the top end of my range all the while working from home , at least until they find a coronavirus vaccine (lol)

thanks for all your goony advice and wish me luck'!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

compile-time vibe checking

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

going to attempt to join a different team at my current company as i have been cleaning up other people's messes for too long and now i want to make the messes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

I'm applying for a job at a place.

:confuoot:

Welp, it turns out I'm not as good at concealing the fact I'm a lazy and unsuccessful rear end in a top hat as I used to be?

:sigh:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Hey YOSPOS, I'm about to start on my first serious job search since I graduated.

Reasons I'm looking to leave:

1) SO has finished her DPT and jobs in our region are pretty sparse for her. The west coast has a ton of positions that she likes, and I also like the idea of stacking paper and getting my masters out there.

2) I've moved up pretty quickly, but now there's not any mentorship available in the direction I want to go. I'd rather work toward being a technical expert but the only place for me to go next in this org is management.

3) There's work to do, we're making money, but the work is getting boring. Every few months or so someone from the business will propose some interesting project, we'll build a PoC, we'll get positive feedback, and then the business will table it while they further validate if they really want the project. I think that since we're making money, there's just no desire to risk building anything new with covid right now.

Basically my "why are you looking to leave your current job" answer is: I'm at a point in my life where moving makes sense, my current job is moving me up but not in the direction I want to be going, and I'm looking for more interesting/challenging work.

Am I packaging that well for recruiters and interviewers? I'm mostly hung up on how to ask for mentorship without sounding like I'm looking for entry-level work.

Also would anyone be willing to give me some resume pointers? I'll post one later if yes. It used to be 1.5 pages, but after updating is almost 3, so I could use some advice on what to get rid of.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ThePeavstenator posted:

3) There's work to do, we're making money, but the work is getting boring. Every few months or so someone from the business will propose some interesting project, we'll build a PoC, we'll get positive feedback, and then the business will table it while they further validate if they really want the project.

this is entirely normal and there will be some level of this no matter where you work. there's variations too, like "tell you to ship the poc for basically free," "tell you to productize it but not give you any additional resources or budget," "iterate the poc forever," etc.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Re: Resume, as far as I'm aware, the golden rule of a 1 page limit is still intact. I find most resumes that come my way are bloated as hell with stuff that no hiring manager cares about. Pare it down. List your last 3 employers from most to least recent only unless your pedigree is ridiculously good. Educational history should be 1 line per school, below your work experience. Small skills section with all the buzzwords laid out.

Can't speak to the specifics without seeing it, but there is a resume service in SAMart that has been around for a while if you're willing to throw a few bucks to get some expert advice. Haven't used it myself, but it seems to have general goon approval.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think one page is a hard limit, but you should definitely put anything you really want people to see there. Certainly by the end of the second page every reader will have already made up their mind, so there's no value in going past that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have always had better luck with one page, even as experience adds up. if you feel like you can’t do it, you should take a hard look at it and trim or entirely remove old things, imo.

just attack it with the rule that the older something is, the more vague and high level your descriptions should be.

someone can ask you detailed questions about *anything* on there, and they might be working on something very similar right now, while you have a bunch of related jargon there on your resume that you haven’t updated since that was your main thing, but you haven’t actually looked at that stuff in years

that’s a vulnerability, since it’s right there in the top of their head, they can make you look like an rear end in a top hat by asking a very technical question about something that you just don’t remember. they might not even be trying to grill you, they can do it accidentally

a shorter, less detailed description of that old project or role will make a less detailed response to questions about it seem a lot more normal.

if you won’t remember all of the the really detailed specifics, pare it down, remove details and jargon and make it closer to an executive summary bullet point so you get fewer technical questions about older stuff.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hey YOSPOS, I'm about to start on my first serious job search since I graduated.

Basically my "why are you looking to leave your current job" answer is: I'm at a point in my life where moving makes sense, my current job is moving me up but not in the direction I want to be going, and I'm looking for more interesting/challenging work.

I would cut all reference to current job, the focus is not on what you're leaving, but what you're looking for now, why the new opportunity appeals to you.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
my resume has a second page list of projects but im a new grad so it seems necessary

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I chopped down my resume some more and got it under 2 pages. Here's my resume sans my name and address: <Dead link>

I'll check out the resume service in SAMart too, thanks for mentioning that Not a Children.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 28, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ThePeavstenator posted:

I chopped down my resume some more and got it under 2 pages. Here's my resume sans my name and address: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hRuz0aJDgwYWhnfZEzrgQYg1ml-s2z7k/view?usp=sharing

I'll check out the resume service in SAMart too, thanks for mentioning that Not a Children.

right off the bat there's way too much whitespace. cut down those margins and trim the top section to just the buzzwords and you've probably gotten that most of the way to one page

also unless you're ready to be grilled on everything in that top section you should cut it and move it to the bottom in an 'also experienced with' section or something similar

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

the correct answer to this question is always, 100% of the time, "I've learned a lot in my current role, and I'm looking for new challenges and growth opportunities - in particular, I'd like to [thing from the job posting] and [new company's core competency]". in your case it happens to be true.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Also would anyone be willing to give me some resume pointers? I'll post one later if yes. It used to be 1.5 pages, but after updating is almost 3, so I could use some advice on what to get rid of.

one page. really think hard about every item on the thing and ask yourself "does this make me a better fit for this role?" and if the answer is anything but a firm "yes" then cut it. find ways to cut out words. I promise it's not that hard to get down to a single page.

and keep in mind your resume is literally just a flyer advertising yourself, the idea is to get them interested and fill in details in an interview

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Arcsech posted:

the correct answer to this question is always, 100% of the time, "I've learned a lot in my current role, and I'm looking for new challenges and growth opportunities - in particular, I'd like to [thing from the job posting] and [new company's core competency]". in your case it happens to be true.

yeah, this. always be positive, never say your old workplace was a dumpster fire and your coworkers were morons.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

PIZZA.BAT posted:

right off the bat there's way too much whitespace. cut down those margins and trim the top section to just the buzzwords and you've probably gotten that most of the way to one page

also unless you're ready to be grilled on everything in that top section you should cut it and move it to the bottom in an 'also experienced with' section or something similar

Arcsech posted:

one page. really think hard about every item on the thing and ask yourself "does this make me a better fit for this role?" and if the answer is anything but a firm "yes" then cut it. find ways to cut out words. I promise it's not that hard to get down to a single page.

and keep in mind your resume is literally just a flyer advertising yourself, the idea is to get them interested and fill in details in an interview

Thanks for the pointers, especially the whitespace. I didn't realize how much space I was wasting with the editor window on my monitor. Here's my update: <Dead link>

Almost down to 1 page. I pared it down by mostly wording things more succinctly, knocked a few items off. I could prune the entire second page, but I'd like to keep the PR bullet, maybe list it in the first section? Seems a little out of place in the skills buzzword list though.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 28, 2020

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Drop the "other skills" section at the bottom imo. It's weird to read the skills at the top then there are more programming languages at the bottom, and my brain needs to work to go "okay these are his good ones and these are his not so good ones".

If the job requires C++ or German just edit your resume to have those in the top section.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah on second thought just handpick from those two lists whatever is relevant to the job you're going for. Trim the rest

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hi thread,

i never thought it could happen to me

one of my vendors wants to poach me. i’m being hired by/will report to the cto who is also interested in mentoring me to take his place in 5-10 years. i’m being specifically hired to be the second dev, and also help with administering systems for clients (work the CTO used to do before merging with this larger company) the change in work is from mostly awesome with some good, to 50-80% good/great and 50-20% awesome. plan over the next year is also to focus more on the things we both consider awesome after finishing a big influx of administration work they have.

i’d be going from a niche team in huge enterprise where I still had significant levels of autonomy and self-direction to a small company of around two dozen people

the immediate culture between jobs isn’t drastically different because it was a niche team, but the big difference is that there’s not the huge org in the background

big enterprise has been shaken up a lot with the pandemic and I’m very fortunate that I’ve stayed employed the whole time. small company has only seen an uptick in business — they’re a professional services supplier for major business partners. industries that are being affected positively by people staying home have been needing work done left and right. i consider this difference to be one of the most compelling things. a year ago i wouldn’t have considered this, now i feel like this is my opportunity to get off a ship that’s taking on water

i fully expect the enterprise to come through this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if my team and my work doesn’t, or is unrecognizable in a year or two. but, this is all gut instinct and conjecture.

as an aside, my old company can buy hours from new company to still have access to me. i am basically irreplaceable in that you’d need two or more people to cover my experience and everything I provide.

the change in comp is good too. good enough that I doubt old company will try to match. big enterprise is notorious for good benefits but smaller paychecks.

breakdown:

*still need exact dollar amounts etc for these

old job: 15 minute commute but working at home since march. likely would stay at home for the next several months at least

new job: fully remote

W-2 both
78k > 105k
4wks > 2wks vacation (with a general view that if I want to only schedule half a day and take the other half off without using benefit time, I can do that regularly but not every week)
401k with match*
TriNet medical etc*
company phone or 100/mo stipend (enterprise provides phone)
byod computer policy (enterprise provides computer)

my instinct is to take this and basically not look back but I also want to sanity check with smart people

i’m inclined to counter offer asking for another week of vacation and a signing bonus to buy a computer.

thoughts? red flags? anything else I should be considering?

thanks for everything

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Tell them to shove their two weeks up their butt

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Go for 4 weeks not 3. Don't tell them the signing bonus is to buy a computer.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
that sounds like a poo poo show to be honest, you are an eventual replacement for the CTO but also have to do BAU admin?

the only reason to deal with that sort of small business all hands on deck stuff is do it for equity otherwise I’d say no.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

you are an eventual replacement for the CTO but also are only getting paid 105k?

you're doing the job of two people now, and are presumably moving up in responsibility if you're the second-in-command for all of software dev... and they're paying you like a new grad or someone just a couple years out of school.

im not in software so someone can check me here, but that seems like unreasonably low compensation for the weight you're being asked to pull

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
Yeah, unless you are in imminent danger of losing your job, that is really not compelling. If you're truly interested I'd push back hard

- "you can be CTO in 5-10 years" is meaningless unless it's in writing (and then it's still meaningless)
- a whole two weeks PTO and they're gonna micromanage you taking a half day during a pandemic?
- and they're not gonna give you an allowance for a fuckin' laptop?

seconding the "I'd only do this for a huge pile of equity" sentiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah if it’s a Covid life raft then better than nothing but otherwise gently caress no