Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I can then only assume that since no e-Golfs are sold new in my region I am SOL on maintenance.

I was browsing Carvana so welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

stevewm posted:

It's the same with GM's electric offerings.

If you have a Volt, Bolt, or Spark EV. Only certain dealer service departments will touch them. I think this also applies to some of their hybrid offerings.

This is one of the main reasons I haven’t looked more into a pacifica phev, the dealerships near me are almost solely dodge ram 1500 maintenance depots.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wouldn't be too awfully concerned about the eGolf since VW is pushing dealers hard to get tooled up for EV. Even if a dealer says they won't touch EV now, they pretty much have to by mid year next year.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

dialhforhero posted:

I can then only assume that since no e-Golfs are sold new in my region I am SOL on maintenance.

I was browsing Carvana so welp.

Have you looked at the BMW i3? How far is your commute?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
About 15 miles to work. Half and half highway/city driving.

I am not exactly a fan of the i3s look. Also, I should add that a new one is way out of my price range so I cannot imagine even used being a better choice.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 27, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

comedy fiat 500e option since they cost approximately four dollars

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Why is there so little interest in / discussion about about the Jaguar I-pace? Whenever I look at the specs of these things the I-pace seems to stack up well, and while on the pricier side of things having sat in one - the drive is great and the interior is quality. They look handsome and I've seen more than a few around here in the UK. But I understand they just don't seem to sell in the US, why is that?

I mean I certainly get that the infotainment system isn't as shiny as a Teslas. Though the new 2020 model updates that. Is it just British manufacturing has that bad a reputation? (though I understand it is actually built on the continent)

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

About 15 miles to work. Half and half highway/city driving.

I am not exactly a fan of the i3s look. Also, I should add that a new one is way out of my price range so I cannot imagine even used being a better choice.

the most cursory glance at carvana shows that it's still the case that i3s run about the same as e-golfs, 11k up depending on age and mileage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Qwijib0 posted:

a friend of mine cross-shopped a used e-golf with an i3, and found that almost no dealers or shops will touch an e-golf, so ended up with the i3 for about the same price but with the ability to get it fixed if something goes awry.

Same here, ended up with the i3 because the nearest shop that would do anything beyond very basic maintenance on a e-golf was 4+ hours away. Meanwhile local BMW dealership has mechanics to work on every aspect of the i3.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrLogan posted:

I got the medium system (8.16 kW) with no Powerwalls. Managed to actually get lucky on the timing and ordered when they dropped to $16k, but before they updated to $16.4k and got a $250 referral credit from MrYenko instead of the $100 credit.

I ended up getting six or seven quotes and Tesla was by far the best price per kW.

From what I can tell, they try to make up the price delta by "offering" to buy your SRECs from you by giving you a discount (I think they might call it a "rebate"). For our system, they offered $1,300 selling the SRECs. I can sell the SRECs for ~$600/year based on the research I did at an SREC brokerage. So Tesla would be ahead after two years. Selling to Tesla is the default option and I can see a lot of people not understanding how SRECs work and not opting out of selling them to Tesla for the life of the system instead of keeping the SRECs and selling thru a brokerage. The laws could also end up changing and I might not be able to sell them or something as well.

The SREC value is going to be different from place to place, I believe (or even might not be available). My research is based on Maryland.

For the powerwall, I like the concept but it was just way too much money for what it does compared to the system. I think they said it was $8k for a single powerwall, but they may have recently updated those prices as well. I'll probably add some sort of battery backup in the feature once battery prices have dropped some more.

All the customer service folks I've spoken with have been nice, but it would be better they just moved the paperwork along with me needing to call.

Worth noting that the federal tax credit for solar is ramping down and disappears after 2021 unless they change the law. That was a big motivator to get it completed this year for us.

Thanks. Yeah the SRECs are all gone for my location. I had a similar take on the battery benefits, just not all that great for the money right now.

I've gotten a couple quotes, but they are for plain vanilla systems - which might be my best option, but I don't know what other options exist. When I talk with them, it seems they're not really equipped to my level of questions. For example are there higher output per sq/ft options? Other things I should consider in terms of future proofing? What's the latest tech here?
I also wonder what will happen with tax rebates in the future, depending on the election and the current tax rebate declining.

Maybe I haven't found the right group. But I feel like I have a lack of full understanding for rooftop solar. Does anyone have an 'advanced solar guide' that has more advanced options? In the end, I might select the 'tried and true' option, but I'd at least like to know what's new and coming.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Thanks. Yeah the SRECs are all gone for my location. I had a similar take on the battery benefits, just not all that great for the money right now.

I've gotten a couple quotes, but they are for plain vanilla systems - which might be my best option, but I don't know what other options exist. When I talk with them, it seems they're not really equipped to my level of questions. For example are there higher output per sq/ft options? Other things I should consider in terms of future proofing? What's the latest tech here?
I also wonder what will happen with tax rebates in the future, depending on the election and the current tax rebate declining.

Maybe I haven't found the right group. But I feel like I have a lack of full understanding for rooftop solar. Does anyone have an 'advanced solar guide' that has more advanced options? In the end, I might select the 'tried and true' option, but I'd at least like to know what's new and coming.

As far as I know, Sunpower still has the best efficiency per square foot (23%), but they are sold as a system, installed. I have the previous generation of panel, on a string inverter, rather than micros on each of the panels, which is "the new thing". I preferred just having the one shaded inverter out of the weather.

I thought we had a solar thread somewhere but I can't find it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Two good reviews of two good cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbWJO66JIYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxAeMBtoSg

VW needs to change the mirror and steering wheel controls to conventional ones though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So about that Third Row design...

Maybe the Third Row is a bad idea on the Model Y

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

When I got a quote here last year they presented both SilFab panels (made locally) & LG Panels (Korean). The LG panels seemed to have higher efficiency? I only tried one company for a bid for now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LG panels lose their efficiency after a few years, while Panasonic's newest only post a 10ish% loss at the 20 year mark.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

LG panels lose their efficiency after a few years, while Panasonic's newest only post a 10ish% loss at the 20 year mark.

This is the kind of detail I'm looking for - I know there are a bunch of forums on this, but it's tough to find good ones that are not focused on off-the-grid or other specialty stuff, or are overly simple. Anyone have any recommendations?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's hard to find, but something like this should be what you need:

https://www.solar-estimate.org/solar-panels-101/an-expert-review-of-lg-solar-panels

Note they have the solar efficiency drop-off at the 10yr and 11-20 year marks, as well as the reduction in production due to temp ratings.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ola posted:

VW needs to change the mirror and steering wheel controls to conventional ones though.

Wonder when ID.4 reviews will start to show up. Either that or the XC40 electric is probably going to be the replacement for our CX-5.

Polestar reviews have been good so I’m optimistic about the XC40.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Desiderata posted:

Why is there so little interest in / discussion about about the Jaguar I-pace? Whenever I look at the specs of these things the I-pace seems to stack up well, and while on the pricier side of things having sat in one - the drive is great and the interior is quality. They look handsome and I've seen more than a few around here in the UK. But I understand they just don't seem to sell in the US, why is that?

I mean I certainly get that the infotainment system isn't as shiny as a Teslas. Though the new 2020 model updates that. Is it just British manufacturing has that bad a reputation? (though I understand it is actually built on the continent)

I have a buddy that does nothing but electrical service at the local Jaguar/Land Rover dealership. He is one of the highest paid employees at the dealership. He personally drives a BMW 5 series. They have 0 I-Pace on the lot for a reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Does the 8 year warranty cover the smoke?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Desiderata posted:

Its range is decent. It's decently quick. But like the E-Tron it has pretty poor efficiency, and unlike the E-Tron it doesn't reserve significant capacity up top so it doesn't charge very quickly in the way that matters, range/time. It's supposed to be a luxury long-range EV crossover but doesn't support it with deliberate quick charging design decisions (like the E-Tron) or charging network (like Tesla model X) so it doesn't fulfill its premise.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm just riffing here, but I think branding is a problem for JLR with it. In the collective ideal of Jaguar The Brand (reliability jokes aside), you generally associate it with sleek sexy grand touring coupes and convertibles, yeah they sold sedans, but why bother unless you're some For-Queen-and Country Teaboo after some aristocratic cachet. Just get a big German saloon, and people did. JLR did try to make the F-Pace look sexy, but they'd have been better off selling it as a Range Rover e-evoque. That's already an established Rich Person City SUV brand (yeah I went there, Britain, you know it's true), and a CUV makes sense there. The typical balding late middle aged executive male Jaguar buyer just isn't interested. But he'd buy a Range Rover branded one for his 3rd wife.
Audi, meanwhile, sells Q series like hotcakes so an electric Q series is just, well why wouldn't you just buy the German e-SUV? And so people did.
Some might question the decision of Ford slapping the Mustang moniker on the Mach-e, but I think everyone could agree that selling it as a Lincoln would have been a poor branding choice, and so it is with the F-Pace.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I dunno what it's like in other markets but Audi can't sell e-trons to save their life in the US despite selling a bajillion QXs. I do think that at least for high end EV a dedicated brand makes sense (Polestar) or at least a kind of sub brand (ID). ANd if you had to pick something out of the JLR stable, it should have been Land Rover. I guess for LR it ran in to branding issues because it's not off road capable or whatever, despite the fact that a bunch of LR product is not off road capable anyway.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Finger Prince posted:

I'm just riffing here, but I think branding is a problem for JLR with it. In the collective ideal of Jaguar The Brand (reliability jokes aside), you generally associate it with sleek sexy grand touring coupes and convertibles, yeah they sold sedans, but why bother unless you're some For-Queen-and Country Teaboo after some aristocratic cachet. Just get a big German saloon, and people did. JLR did try to make the F-Pace look sexy, but they'd have been better off selling it as a Range Rover e-evoque. That's already an established Rich Person City SUV brand (yeah I went there, Britain, you know it's true), and a CUV makes sense there. The typical balding late middle aged executive male Jaguar buyer just isn't interested. But he'd buy a Range Rover branded one for his 3rd wife.
Audi, meanwhile, sells Q series like hotcakes so an electric Q series is just, well why wouldn't you just buy the German e-SUV? And so people did.
Some might question the decision of Ford slapping the Mustang moniker on the Mach-e, but I think everyone could agree that selling it as a Lincoln would have been a poor branding choice, and so it is with the F-Pace.

F-Pace and E-Pace are Jaguar's best selling cars so they made an electric version of it, simple as that. More I-Pace then F-Type are sold nowadays.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I dunno what it's like in other markets but Audi can't sell e-trons to save their life in the US despite selling a bajillion QXs. I do think that at least for high end EV a dedicated brand makes sense (Polestar) or at least a kind of sub brand (ID). ANd if you had to pick something out of the JLR stable, it should have been Land Rover. I guess for LR it ran in to branding issues because it's not off road capable or whatever, despite the fact that a bunch of LR product is not off road capable anyway.

There's no reason you couldn't make an EV as off-road capable as an evoque or whatever though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Holy poo poo the id3 comes with 20" wheels, that's nuts. I mean it's also possible to get 18" on some models but still.

And they saved a few euros by only having two window swtiches on the driver's door lol.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 28, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elviscat posted:

There's no reason you couldn't make an EV as off-road capable as an evoque or whatever though.

I'm not really sure if off-road EVs are something that car companies would really want to focus on right now. The charging infrastructure such as it is is focused almost entirely around highways and people's homes. With a smattering around places that they shop. Getting to and from out of the way places that would require off-roading just doesn't have the charging infrastructure in place to support it.

Once ev's start to become more popular then getting charging available at state and national parks will become a thing and that will likely spread out into other more remote places.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Gloss black on the ID3 armrests, ugh. I had to wrap the center console of my Model 3 because of that crap, impossible to keep it clean. I wish manufacturers would move towards matte for this stuff. Super bummed I can't get an ID3 here, it was my first choice EV.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I dunno what it's like in other markets but Audi can't sell e-trons to save their life in the US despite selling a bajillion QXs. I do think that at least for high end EV a dedicated brand makes sense (Polestar) or at least a kind of sub brand (ID).

I would think that in the US market at least its incredibly difficult to sell a vehicle that is $70,000+ even after incentives. Some states can tick that down a bit but some other states charge extra for EVs. The Q5 is affordable to a lot more people that the e-tron ever will be. It also seems iffy to me to pay a $20,000+ premium over a Q5/7 for an EV drivetrain that is going to be outclassed in a year or two by the meb platform, not to mention what other manufacturers are going to be putting out over that same time frame. The Q4 is looking like it might at least be more competitive with the Q5 on price.

The ipace seems like its in a similar situation, the thing I noticed about it is how small it is despite being billed as a crossover. How many people are in the market for a small performance car that wouldn't just opt for a Tesla instead at the price point? $65,000 can get you a lot of Model 3, and gives you access to charging.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo the id3 comes with 20" wheels, that's nuts. I mean it's also possible to get 18" on some models but still.

And they saved a few euros by only having two window swtiches on the driver's door lol.

I played a bit with the configurator at https://www.volkswagen.de/ , seems like 19" is standard on some trims as well. Which is still pretty big for a compact car. But yes, the window switches need to go, asap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elviscat posted:

There's no technical reason you can't but I don't think the market is big enough to make sense for a volume street legal OEM and the charging infrastructure situation is very much worse.

Jimong5 posted:

I would think that in the US market at least its incredibly difficult to sell a vehicle that is $70,000+ even after incentives. Some states can tick that down a bit but some other states charge extra for EVs. The Q5 is affordable to a lot more people that the e-tron ever will be. It also seems iffy to me to pay a $20,000+ premium over a Q5/7 for an EV drivetrain that is going to be outclassed in a year or two by the meb platform, not to mention what other manufacturers are going to be putting out over that same time frame. The Q4 is looking like it might at least be more competitive with the Q5 on price.

The ipace seems like its in a similar situation, the thing I noticed about it is how small it is despite being billed as a crossover. How many people are in the market for a small performance car that wouldn't just opt for a Tesla instead at the price point? $65,000 can get you a lot of Model 3, and gives you access to charging.

I agree with you.

Holy poo poo though that ID3 cost like 50 k euro! what!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I just went by kW/$ and Tesla was the best by far. I'm not sure what you mean by vanilla systems. Other than provide electricity, I don't have any expectations out of my solar system.

If you do decide to go with Tesla, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my referral link.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Jimong5 posted:

I would think that in the US market at least its incredibly difficult to sell a vehicle that is $70,000+ even after incentives. Some states can tick that down a bit but some other states charge extra for EVs. The Q5 is affordable to a lot more people that the e-tron ever will be. It also seems iffy to me to pay a $20,000+ premium over a Q5/7 for an EV drivetrain that is going to be outclassed in a year or two by the meb platform, not to mention what other manufacturers are going to be putting out over that same time frame.

Is the e-tron switching to MEB? I thought it was staying on their premium electric platform along with the Taycan. I think Volkswagen intends to keep both platforms relevant, but that might be outdated info. Either way, yeah, the I-Pace is just too drat expensive to be worth it for the majority.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Once ev's start to become more popular then getting charging available at state and national parks will become a thing and that will likely spread out into other more remote places.

I would prefer state and national parks don't have charging stations for the same reason I don't want them to have gas stations

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm fine with it if it's renewably generated and run by the parks department. I def. don't want my public spaces brought to me by exxon/7-11/chargepoint/etc.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Well my Mustang has been declared totaled so I'm looking around and forgot that the Mach-e is coming out soon. How big of a deal is it if I don't have a garage? My gut tells me that exposing lithium-ion batteries to hot summers and frigid winters is probably a bad idea

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Well my Mustang has been declared totaled so I'm looking around and forgot that the Mach-e is coming out soon. How big of a deal is it if I don't have a garage? My gut tells me that exposing lithium-ion batteries to hot summers and frigid winters is probably a bad idea
I think the issue with not having a garage is less exposure to the elements than it is not having a place to charge at home.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My dryer in the basement is right along the wall where my parking pad is outside. So setting up a 240V charging station probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I'm way waaay more concerned about it being exposed to the elements. However googling around all I can find is articles talking about the charging aspect of it so maybe my fears are misplaced

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My dryer in the basement is right along the wall where my parking pad is outside. So setting up a 240V charging station probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I'm way waaay more concerned about it being exposed to the elements. However googling around all I can find is articles talking about the charging aspect of it so maybe my fears are misplaced
Rich Rebuilds has a humorous video of the issues he had keeping a Tesla Model X ungaraged in winter but it had far less to do with EVs in general than the Model X in particular.

Here he covers winter without a garage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecmwWZmaU0A&t=315s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

No garage needed, just access to a plug of some sort.