Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

It's the CW, so one assumes Beth will have washboard abs and be doing the salmon ladder by the end of the series.

I never got how everyone has to be a badass. Beth being capable of surviving but never a great fighter but a sodding great detective and gatherer of intelligence? That would be kinda cool. Even if she just has to rely on sneak attacks and smoke bombs I could be ok. Just no Caitlyn from Arrow going toe to toe with goons. Speaking of Arrow and the CW: I just hope they avoid the super hacker trope as I'm so tired of the super hacker trope.
Team JSA :we gotta get into this super secure compound!
Doc Mid-Nite: One sec <5 minutes of busily hammering at keys hollywood style> I'm in. I also took over the cameras and can guide you.
Team JSA: Oh god Doomsday missile!
Doc Mid-Nite: I hacked in and its targeting the bad guys compound. You guys get out!
<Dramatic shot of JSA jumping in front of a huge Mikey Bay explosion>
Doc M: <Pumps fist into the air> Yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It's the CW, so one assumes Beth will have washboard abs and be doing the salmon ladder by the end of the series.

Beth fits squarely in the role Cisco and Felicity played in their own shows early on where they're not all that great in a fight, but are really good at all of the intellectual stuff that the team needs and is best suited for Comms/QB. Of course, Beth isn't some super genius. By all accounts, she's a normal level of smart and Chuck is doing a lot of the thinking. That said, I'm sure her and Pat could figure out a better way to use Chuck while still reducing the amount of harm she might come up with as, at the moment, the team is a bit too all over the place to reliably help.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

DogsInSpace! posted:

I never got how everyone has to be a badass. Beth being capable of surviving but never a great fighter but a sodding great detective and gatherer of intelligence? That would be kinda cool. Even if she just has to rely on sneak attacks and smoke bombs I could be ok. Just no Caitlyn from Arrow going toe to toe with goons. Speaking of Arrow and the CW: I just hope they avoid the super hacker trope as I'm so tired of the super hacker trope.
Team JSA :we gotta get into this super secure compound!
Doc Mid-Nite: One sec <5 minutes of busily hammering at keys hollywood style> I'm in. I also took over the cameras and can guide you.
Team JSA: Oh god Doomsday missile!
Doc Mid-Nite: I hacked in and its targeting the bad guys compound. You guys get out!
<Dramatic shot of JSA jumping in front of a huge Mikey Bay explosion>
Doc M: <Pumps fist into the air> Yeah!

Dunno if you got your gals mixed up, but Caitlin Snow is Killer Frost. She's more than capable of freezing people and/or handling herself in a fight.

Now if Felicity somehow runs up with a sword and starts doing kung fu, yea there's a bit of a whiplash effect.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Thinking back to when Kipling implied that Niles Caulder would have killed the de-creator cult kid to save the world.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Now if Felicity somehow runs up with a sword and starts doing kung fu, yea there's a bit of a whiplash effect.

I think that was what everyone was fearing they were going for every time Felicity was shown doing crunches or Pilates. Laurel was the worst example of this. She got some self defense training at the local boxing gym and suddenly she’s ready to kick rear end and take names as black canary.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

kjetting posted:

I think that was what everyone was fearing they were going for every time Felicity was shown doing crunches or Pilates. Laurel was the worst example of this. She got some self defense training at the local boxing gym and suddenly she’s ready to kick rear end and take names as black canary.
Though imagine how boring that format of a show would be if people actually had to study martial arts for ten+ years before they could be any use.

Of course the obvious solution to that is for people to use the skills they already have (like computering for Felicity, or making magic high end technology for T-face) and just be allowed to plain suck in a fist fight. Not every situation has to devolve into kung fu fighting, and when they do it's perfectly reasonable to have the martial artist be the one to save the day, then the detective find the clue, and the tech wizard find the invisible clue. But that would be a big change to the show's formula of "people randomly wander into dangerous situations they're untrained for, then fight their way out with everyone doing spinny kicks all day."

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Stargirl

drat Pat punching Sam Kurtis was satisfying. What a piece of work. Did kind of look like Joel McHale though.

The final scene with Courtney and the staff...I loved it. Sir Justin played a surprisingly small role in this episode given its name but his little line at the end was great. A nice uplifting episode overall.

Icicle's favorite Harley Quinn character was clearly Queen of Fables (fair warning this is a pretty gory Harley Quinn scene).

Speaking of Mike, he is a strong kid. Everything is falling apart and no one will tell him anything but he's keeping it together.

Also...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rubellavator posted:

Thinking back to when Kipling implied that Niles Caulder would have killed the de-creator cult kid to save the world.

It should be obvious that Kipling is the failsafe in case Dorothy outlives Niles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at this week's Stargirl and what a complete scumbag Courtney's father is.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
While watching this episode I found myself distinctly thinking "Man, it's been a minute since we've seen the Crocks, huh?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Which recent DC animated offerings apart from Harley Quinn have been good, if any?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Which recent DC animated offerings apart from Harley Quinn have been good, if any?

Apokolips War was pretty decent. Red Son was...okay. Gotham by Gaslight is...interesting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Apokolips War was pretty decent.

It most emphatically was not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Insane Apokalyps War based on the recommendations here and elsewhere, and it was not good.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Nameless Pete posted:

While watching this episode I found myself distinctly thinking "Man, it's been a minute since we've seen the Crocks, huh?"

They're honestly my favorite part of the show. I miss the murder soccer parents and violent soccer girl.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tigress is the thumbnail for next week's episode so safe to say they're coming back for the finale.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Batman vs teenage mutant ninja turtles

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Azhais posted:

Batman vs teenage mutant ninja turtles
I thought you were being needlessly cruel for a moment, because the title made me think of that really bad one (was it called Ninja Batman? Something with Batman and Ninja in the title anyway) with the giant robot houses, but yeah, Batman vs teenage mutant ninja turtles was actually good.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dunno if you got your gals mixed up, but Caitlin Snow is Killer Frost. She's more than capable of freezing people and/or handling herself in a fight.

Yeah I got them confused. I remember an episode with the all powerful drug dealer where she was fighting goons successfully and it made me annoyed. That whole season made me nope out hard though so I might have just been done and used it as an excuse. Time Losers of Tomorrow is so much fun to watch it made the others harder to stay into.

kjetting posted:

Laurel was another one that annoyed me. I don't even mind her trying but doing expertly timed spin kicks and martial arts is silly. Trying and being terrible at fighting was an arc for Oliver Queen. Don't have to last as long but.... just don't go from schlub to ninja so fast.

roomforthetuna posted:

Though imagine how boring that format of a show would be if people actually had to study martial arts for ten+ years before they could be any use.

Of course the obvious solution to that is for people to use the skills they already have (like computering for Felicity, or making magic high end technology for T-face) and just be allowed to plain suck in a fist fight. Not every situation has to devolve into kung fu fighting, and when they do it's perfectly reasonable to have the martial artist be the one to save the day, then the detective find the clue, and the tech wizard find the invisible clue. But that would be a big change to the show's formula of "people randomly wander into dangerous situations they're untrained for, then fight their way out with everyone doing spinny kicks all day."

I wouldn't even mind the guys sucking then slowly getting better over a season or two. I 'd love to see DM-N decide to get better at fighting and train over season 2 as she feels a tad insecure that she's not holding her own water. She trains and trains and start being able to handle the mooks. Doc starts to get confident then comes across someone really good at fighting who wipes the floor with her. Then DM-N has to realize her own possible limitations while recognizing her very real and tangible strengths. Plus it lets her start using smoke bombs, owls and sneak attacks. She's my favourite hero character on this show if you can't tell.

edit: Stargirl is up? Sweet

edit2: I really enjoyed that episode. Not sure why but it really clicked for me and made me have far more affection for Stargirl. Gen X deadbeat dad is something that I haven't seen much on TV, despite it being kinda common in real life.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 28, 2020

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

DogsInSpace! posted:

Laurel was another one that annoyed me. I don't even mind her trying but doing expertly timed spin kicks and martial arts is silly. Trying and being terrible at fighting was an arc for Oliver Queen. Don't have to last as long but.... just don't go from schlub to ninja so fast.

Thing is; one of the things I originally liked about Arrow was that Oliver had a “believable” backstory. It’s really hard when you have a vigilante character without super powers, how can you sell that they are exceptional and take on armies of bad guys on their own? With different iterations of Batman you have him using all his spare time dedicating his life to fighting crime, and the Nolanverse makes a point of him being basically a Kung Fu monk under Rhas al’Ghul for some years. Arrow did this right by having Ollie survive five years on a desert island, and then showed us that he wasn’t alone and had also had martial arts training by legendary masters, endured torture, fought off a paramilitary force, lost loved ones, and generally had a whole lot of other stuff happen to him that no one can relate to. Then it threw it all away when FIVE YEARS IN HELL was equal to his sister spending a week training with her father and Laurel taking a few self defense lessons.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

Thing is; one of the things I originally liked about Arrow was that Oliver had a “believable” backstory. It’s really hard when you have a vigilante character without super powers, how can you sell that they are exceptional and take on armies of bad guys on their own? With different iterations of Batman you have him using all his spare time dedicating his life to fighting crime, and the Nolanverse makes a point of him being basically a Kung Fu monk under R'as Al’Ghul for some years. Arrow did this right by having Ollie survive five years on a desert island, and then showed us that he wasn’t alone and had also had martial arts training by legendary masters, endured torture, fought off a paramilitary force, lost loved ones, and generally had a whole lot of other stuff happen to him that no one can relate to. Then it threw it all away when FIVE YEARS IN HELL was equal to his sister spending a week training with her father and Laurel taking a few self defense lessons.

Amen brother.... a perfect summation of why it bugs me. Funny enough Sarah Lance? That character went to hell and back and now fans grew to love her. She's been through IT! Also helps as the Time Idiots make for a great show.

Back to SG: Still hoping they bring more with the 7 Soldiers. I know they absolutely had GA pictured as a member but they could say it was the Spider and thus have another tie in to Shade and the Injustice gang. I really want a Shade cameo. Also if. they every go back to the 70s there better be a Mikaal cameo.

Doom Patrol: They have telegraphed the heck out of Miranda being evil so far. I even remember when it showed her creepy closed tunnel they had to go through with all the corpses. Almost wish they had held back a bit but oh well.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Just kinda started on Stargirl with my kids and how do I explain to them Icicle is a good guy cause he just killed a polluter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grem posted:

Just kinda started on Stargirl with my kids and how do I explain to them Icicle is a good guy cause he just killed a polluter.

Is that after the part where he kills a child just for getting in the way?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Xelkelvos posted:

Is that after the part where he kills a child just for getting in the way?

Yea, but you know, net good for society and all

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The question is whether or not he would have cared if it hadn't directly affected his life. Like I doubt he's going around killing other random polluters.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, he was clearly just getting revenge on the people specifically involved with his wife

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Azhais posted:

Yeah, he was clearly just getting revenge on the people specifically involved with his wife
But the whole group also has a grand plan to force people to be less assholes. It's a noble goal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh, we don't know exactly what they're going to make people like with Project New America but I expect there isn't going to be a whole lot of "free will" in there.

Anyway, thinking about Doom Patrol s2, on an episode by episode basis the season is pretty strong but it does feel a little underwhelming on the overarching season story arc side.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Doom Patrol Speculation

So Miranda is the manifestation of the Dad, right?

Toddler Kay is "disobedient". Baby doll in the underground well.

Teenaged Kay "making eyes at the boy in church". Scarlet Harlot in the underground well.

Jane is strong and able to defy the fear of the well and their father? Jane in the underground well.

Don't know how the fiery one fits. I don't read the comics at all so all of my knowledge of this franchise is what I see in this show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think it could also be that Miranda is just tired of the whole thing and wants to be the only one.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

I think it could also be that Miranda is just tired of the whole thing and wants to be the only one.
Miranda is the "run away" personality, now she is tired of all the other girls and want to be left alone again. It's how she deals with all her problem. That's why she jumped in the well sooner, to get away from the other girls but it wasn't enough to kill her, so now her plan is to kill the other.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

roomforthetuna posted:

I thought you were being needlessly cruel for a moment, because the title made me think of that really bad one (was it called Ninja Batman? Something with Batman and Ninja in the title anyway) with the giant robot houses, but yeah, Batman vs teenage mutant ninja turtles was actually good.

ugh, batman ninja.

I wanted to like it for what it was, but joker wouldn't get off stage.

he poochied that movie so hard it ruined everything else.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

Miranda is the "run away" personality, now she is tired of all the other girls and want to be left alone again. It's how she deals with all her problem. That's why she jumped in the well sooner, to get away from the other girls but it wasn't enough to kill her, so now her plan is to kill the other.

Yeah... I still remember her creepy tunnel full of hanged corpses. Suicidal? Her actually being the main for so long could have broke her and now all she craves is the serenity of oblivion. As much as they telegraphed Miranda is bad earlier in the season I still got taken for a bit by the episode. I hate Jane's father.

Eh, we don't know exactly what they're going to make people like with Project New America but I expect there isn't going to be a whole lot of "free will" in there.

Anyway, thinking about Doom Patrol s2, on an episode by episode basis the season is pretty strong but it does feel a little underwhelming on the overarching season story arc side.

I miss the insanely entertaining Mr Nobody but a season long break will make him fresh when he returns. I like Dorothy and have enjoyed her arc but, like yourself, it's not hitting as hard as the first season. I was assuming it was me missing some key setup moments and my view along. Still love the show and the work they have done on the individual characters is bloody amazing. I love the BeeKeeper. Larry T playing Doctor under the influence had me dying. Weirdly this show has built enough faith that I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Stargirl ends with a big final battle energy, and Blue Valley is not big enough for the ISA to just melt away once exposed, so I wonder if they'll move on or blue valley will become a hub of super villian activity.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This edit is hilarious and great. (NSFW for what is said)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttcAebptKM4

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I need more Beekeeper & Borg, the new CBS primetime followup to Steele and Stone.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 31, 2020

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Axel Serenity posted:

I need more Beekeeper & Borg, the new CBS primetime followup to Steele and Stone.
For those of you who don't know the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEqMsfDGnQ

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

For those of you who don't know the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgEqMsfDGnQ

I knew it was referencing something British, but the only thing I knew was The Avengers so I wasn't sure.

So what will the Larry and Cyborg team up be and what would it parody?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I dunno but I hope it's cheerful.

I liked seeing Larry and Jane together. Glad we're seeing new combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hypocrisy posted:

I dunno but I hope it's cheerful.

I liked seeing Larry and Jane together. Glad we're seeing new combinations.

Yeah, the mixups are good. One thing I love about Legends of Tomorrow is it's always had a thing where it could take any two characters out of the ensemble cast and send them on a weird adventure together. If Doom Patrol picks that up, I'm happy with it.