Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like Jazz am I a racist now :ohdear:

[edit] 333 is West Indian Cricketer Chris Gayles top score in Test Cricket.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Are we all using the Republic of Ireland's benefits system now? The NI border negotiations must be going badly.
I dunno, "everyone on benefits is now An Irish and must claim benefits there" sounds like a peak Tory policy.

ronya posted:

hot take time #2:
I don't think an intelligentsia would necessarily have to be hereditary as long as general education was well funded and intergenerational income elasticity is high.

It probably would still be a bit, because people whose parents are engineers are going to have more access to engineering books as a child, help with engineering homework, and networks of existing engineers. That's true of many things though, musicians, artists, bus drivers, and I don't have the same opposition to that existing there as I do with landlords and heads of state having hereditary components/bias, the key is to make sure that engineers (or musicians, or artists, or bus drivers) don't become magic people who can dictate the whole of society, which I think is Bakunin's objection too.

Necrothatcher posted:

The Harmony Party is a tremendously poo poo name.
Sounds either Christian weirdoes or crypto-fash.

Pistol_Pete posted:

We had the Roman Party
Also sounds either Christian weirdoes or crypto-fash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The roman party involves mandatory vomiting.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
parties that have nebulous ideals in their name are always poo poo. See for example 'respect'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

parties that have nebulous ideals in their name are always poo poo. See for example 'respect'.

That's pretty much all parties though, on both counts

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Linking for classical dongs.

Failed Imagineer posted:

:hmmyes:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Failed Imagineer posted:

True.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dead Goon posted:

I like Jazz am I a racist now :ohdear:

[edit] 333 is West Indian Cricketer Chris Gayles top score in Test Cricket.

I listen to Jazz fm and it's full of adverts about second homes and life insurance, and their morning business news is very dry discussions on how the market number must go up and how we must never hold them to account ever; ergo their target audience is a) white middle class, b) wealthy or isolated from financial worry c) probably puce.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guess they're not playing much of this then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQZwXAIT38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhq36BhcHW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLednsovkg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

You mean... veritas?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
will the Harmony Party be seeking list seats in the scottish parliament under a banner of pro and/or anti independence unity

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

sup byob lol

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lets start naming parties with nonsense terms like tech companies.

I'm a proud member of the Frumpletumple Party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh good it's time for the weekly public mental breakdown.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Harmony Party always makes me think of that large sex shop/adult entertainment shop, Harmony, on Oxford Street.

I bought something there once; behind the till there was a big display of poppers with Union Jack wrappings. The cashier laughed when I said it looked a bit Brexity

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
'Harmony' is far too woolly a name, it sounds like the name of a candle used by a hippie aromatherapist.

It's depressing but branding is extremely important here and you're getting nowhere if your big new hope of a left-wing party immediately conjures up images of woo garbage to an extent that would make the greens blush

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Harmony really does sound like the most centrist of names. I would join the Dissonance party, although if we're talking cognitive then we already have at least 3 of those

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's why I'm starting the "put the heads of everyone richer than me on pikes party".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why is it that most other places have a bunch of parties made of acronyms/initialisms, like EFF or SWAPO or ZAPU, whereas the US and UK (south of Scotland) is usually single word broad ideas? Is it FPTP?

OwlFancier posted:

That's why I'm starting the "put the heads of everyone richer than me on pikes party".
PHERTM-PP

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

killerwhat posted:

Harmony Party always makes me think of that large sex shop/adult entertainment shop, Harmony, on Oxford Street.

I bought something there once; behind the till there was a big display of poppers with Union Jack wrappings. The cashier laughed when I said it looked a bit Brexity

Ehhh, I remember when it used to be on Charing Cross Road, next to the Astoria. They knocked it down to built an underground railway for the Queen :corsair:

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 27, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Why is it that most other places have a bunch of parties made of acronyms/initialisms, like EFF or SWAPO or ZAPU, whereas the US and UK (south of Scotland) is usually single word broad ideas? Is it FPTP?

the Nordics have an even greater intolerance for characters than most, they use single-character acronyms even for the single-word parties

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tarnop posted:

Harmony really does sound like the most centrist of names. I would join the Dissonance party, although if we're talking cognitive then we already have at least 3 of those

join the Discord Party, we communicate our policies solely in cutesy video game references

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Angepain posted:

join the Discord Party, we communicate our policies solely in cutesy video game references

Three words; Metal. Gear. Economy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That could either be Armstrong's idea or it could be a game where you have to solve the recession by sneaking around and cuddling men until you get to fight the giant robot piloted by rishi sunak.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Fultoning members of the public to recruit them into my new Leftist party.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Ehhh, I remember when it used to be on Charing Cross Road, next to the Astoria. They knocked it down to built an underground railway for the Queen :corsair:

They started off in Soho proper, but down at the Chinatown/Theatreland end, because they always had a pretty canny business plan of being a sex shop that wasn't one of those loving terrifying Private Shop places that stink of rollups and desperation - they gave plausible deniability for someone being in the area without frightening the horses by being on the high street.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Actually 'vomitorium' doesn't mean what you think it does! :hist101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Actually 'vomitorium' doesn't mean what you think it does! :hist101:

Funnily I know what a vomitorium is but I thought they did still vomit, just not in the vomitorium.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Funnily I know what a vomitorium is but I thought they did still vomit, just not in the vomitorium.

Nope. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/purging-the-myth-of-the-vomitorium/

As usual it's the Victorians fault

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So all the journos today were talking about how we might loosen the quarantine restrictions for people coming back from the Spanish islands.

Cut to 6pm, and the foreign office have just advised against all but essential travel. Lol.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Amazing thanks guys. Don’t sign up to political parties whilst under the influence . :)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

So all the journos today were talking about how we might loosen the quarantine restrictions for people coming back from the Spanish islands.

Cut to 6pm, and the foreign office have just advised against all but essential travel. Lol.

It's actually even funnier because a minister is there on hols.

Can't decide if he was shameless enough to suggest it or the media are assuming he was.

e: phrasing

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 27, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of classical civilizations, I read this today.

Interesting idea about rigid morality gods coming after society suddenly getting more complicated, rather than the prior idea that it went the other way around and societies with certain religious beliefs tending to become larger or more complex, but I just had Spitting Image's My God Is Bigger Than Your God in my head when reading the whole thing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've been looking at the corona numbers and there's some pretty fun stuff there, like Spain having about 60% of the total recorded deaths of the UK but supposedly more cases overall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's probably related to proactive testing. If you don't test anyone until they're about to die then you end up producing a seemingly incredibly lethal disease.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of classical civilizations, I read this today.

Interesting idea about rigid morality gods coming after society suddenly getting more complicated, rather than the prior idea that it went the other way around and societies with certain religious beliefs tending to become larger or more complex, but I just had Spitting Image's My God Is Bigger Than Your God in my head when reading the whole thing.

I always find the idea of polytheism, with gods running the same gamut of dumbness and badness as humans, to be much more satisfying than one big perfect bloke with a beard. Granny got struck by lightning despite never setting a foot wrong in her life? Monotheism has to tie itself in knots about the ineffability of God and His plan, polytheism shrugs and goes "Zeus got pissed last night".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't like this disparaging of meritocracy. I'm better at video games than other people and that makes me morally superior, end of story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It is reasonable to assume that plenty of people still vomited in the vomitorium, though, given its actual purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
amazing what competent covid response can do

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1287805554199601153?s=20