Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

To me it reads like a very sloppy and brief summation of what the new series will include.

1. The conjunction of the spheres.
2. Humans arriving on the Continent, and meeting and living among elves for the first time.
3. The creation of the first Witcher.

Not necessarily that all of it will happen 1200 years ago or that they'll even happen at or near the same time.

Yeah, I'm being a bit too uncharitable. I just lean towards the worst possible interpretation on this because I can't remember the last time unnecessary "made-for-TV" prequel of popular franchise turned out to be good and because I ended up not particularly liking the Witcher TV-series, so I'm a teeensy bit wary here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

itry posted:

What makes you say that?
Same as what Lt. Lizard said, except that I like the series just fine, but I don't trust them not to bungle this. Especially after seeing the first episode of Warrior Nun.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sapkowski could write first travellers being less of assholes toward elves, more druidic type. Then most of them could go and settle Zerrikania.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I wonder if they'll have Geoffrey Monck as a character as canonically he was the first human to master elven magic.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The Cat school in Witcher 3 was already said to have been an Elven school? :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Cat school in Witcher 3 was already said to have been an Elven school? :shrug:

Was the experimented on Cat Witcher beneath Temple Isle an Elf?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yep.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
No, Kiyan was a human but the Cat diagram quest notes do say that Cat school has elven origins

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

A less torturous and harmful method of creating witchers that gets bastardized and degenerates into the hell that Geralt experiences over centuries would be very fitting in the setting though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sword of destiny: "you want something sour and salty with beer. pickles"
me: "that sounds disgusting"

long story short, pickles go well with beer

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
drat i got the worst ending because of 2 seemingly innocuous dialogue choices. im bummed out man...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
bad dad bad dad bad dad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

sword of destiny: "you want something sour and salty with beer. pickles"
me: "that sounds disgusting"

long story short, pickles go well with beer

Now add lard for the true experience.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

dangerdoom volvo posted:

drat i got the worst ending because of 2 seemingly innocuous dialogue choices. im bummed out man...

What did you do? Tell her she didn't need to be good at the one thing she desperately needs to be good at to save the world? That's a popular one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't think I got the bad ending on my first run, but I did piss her off by taking the Emperor's money. Which I feel is a little bullshit because at that point I've already made all the important decisions I'm going to make, and what am I gonna do, turn down 5,000 gold for sentimental reasons? And she wants to be a witcher with this attitude??

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Namnesor posted:

bad dad bad dad bad dad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dude you can make like 5000 crowns on a single trip through the Novigrad shopkeepers. Besides you get a snazzy black Roach if you tell Emhyr to shove it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dude you can make like 5000 crowns on a single trip through the Novigrad shopkeepers. Besides you get a snazzy black Roach if you tell Emhyr to shove it.

My "Toss a coin to your witcher" theme song has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my theme song.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Bad dading it up in here.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't think I got the bad ending on my first run, but I did piss her off by taking the Emperor's money. Which I feel is a little bullshit because at that point I've already made all the important decisions I'm going to make, and what am I gonna do, turn down 5,000 gold for sentimental reasons? And she wants to be a witcher with this attitude??

You deserve to be mocked as a bad dad with that attitude, mate :colbert:
May all your contracts be zeugls henceforth.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i didnt bring up emhyr because ciri was on a tear and i didnt want to bring down her vibes. read the books folks

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I read spoilers to avoid the bad ending because I thought there would be no way I'd play through a game that long again.

Turns out I was wrong.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

My first time through I went with Triss, because I didn't know better and had only played witcher 2 beforehand. I replayed the game again to fix that mistake, but never got a bad dad ending.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

My first time through I went with Triss, because I didn't know better and had only played witcher 2 beforehand. I replayed the game again to fix that mistake, but never got a bad dad ending.

It's one of the best example of "choices matter" gameplay in the ending is the culmination of many things and not just a rgb pick an ending.

Especially since, as has been mentioned repeatedly the good dad ending requires you to step back and trust your daughter, to not try and control her and to let her realize what she wants and support her when most games are just about min-maxing your social levels or grinding out exp/resource X for the best ending. I think O'Dimm was a snake you can't trust but if you finish his quest and he offers you a gift the one for Ciri is really well done without making it too obvious what you need to do to succeed.

That the bad ending was also exceptionally well written is also a treat.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What did you do? Tell her she didn't need to be good at the one thing she desperately needs to be good at to save the world? That's a popular one.

I was trying to take some of the pressure off....

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That one honestly feels like...not a trap, but that each single-line blurb doesn't cover what each massive conversation afterwards is going to entail. But also yeah in retrospect it's really easy to see why that one goes down the way it does.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I was trying to take some of the pressure off....

So guessing the other ones were not trashing the lab and joining her when she talks to the lodge?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Ravenfood posted:

That one honestly feels like...not a trap, but that each single-line blurb doesn't cover what each massive conversation afterwards is going to entail. But also yeah in retrospect it's really easy to see why that one goes down the way it does.

Real life, y'all.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So guessing the other ones were not trashing the lab and joining her when she talks to the lodge?

I came with to the lodge and discouraged her from destroying the lab yes...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I came with to the lodge and discouraged her from destroying the lab yes...

This game is very well written and says a lot about the problematic aspects of the 'good' choices most games train us to make.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I was so sad it ruined my whole night. Felt like I immediately wanted to replay the 10 hours or whatever to make things right. But instead I uninstalled out of gamer grief

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

You're not alone, I have 2 friends that never did the expansions because of getting the bad ending and ruining the entire game for them. It's why I think the choices are too muddled and not communicated well enough.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ironically, the “bad” ending is also the most well-written one.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I feel like the bad ending makes for a great segue into Hearts of Stone

And then you have Blood and Wine to lift your spirits again

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It's a huge emotional gut punch for sure.

One of the reasons I rave about this game five years after release (holy poo poo time flies) is just how good it is at getting you emotionally engaged. There are some high highs but a lot more lows.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Ironically, the “bad” ending is also the most well-written one.

it is, but the fact that you can be locked into it like 20+ hours away from the ending means that people can't just go a reload a save and fix it if they want to. That was the issue my friend had, he skipped meeting Emhyr and drank with Ciri, so by the time he realized what was up he had no saves anywhere near where he could try again. It bummed him out so much that he never even did the expansions that he paid for. Its why I offer to "spoil" those choices for people all the time.

Presence
Jul 29, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You're not alone, I have 2 friends that never did the expansions because of getting the bad ending and ruining the entire game for them. It's why I think the choices are too muddled and not communicated well enough.

This is me. Got the bad dad ending and felt too depressed to move on to the expansions.

Instead I started reading the books and plan on playing through Witcher 2 before going back to 3.

Currently halfway through Lady of the Lake and getting the sads about finishing this wonderful series :(

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Presence posted:

This is me. Got the bad dad ending and felt too depressed to move on to the expansions.

Instead I started reading the books and plan on playing through Witcher 2 before going back to 3.

Currently halfway through Lady of the Lake and getting the sads about finishing this wonderful series :(

my advice is to just watch the youtube of the good ending and go enjoy the expansions. in the end its still a video game, and its not like geralt himself brings it up inn every quest.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ShakeZula posted:

I feel like the bad ending makes for a great segue into Hearts of Stone

And then you have Blood and Wine to lift your spirits again

Doesn't the bad ending imply that Geralt dies? How is that a good segue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It implies that but it isn't shown. And Blood and Wine does acciunt for the Bad Ending, albeit in a pretty subtle way.