Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I love day 8 because we get to start seeing the KACHI-KOSHI graphic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Who was it that does english commentary on twitch? Finally have a chance to be up to watch it live.

edit mbovo has flipped to english

The English commentators (or commentator, in this month's case) only show up at the beginning of Makuuchi, and sometimes they're a few bouts late, it's weird.

Spokes posted:

I love day 8 because we get to start seeing the KACHI-KOSHI graphic

The Abema one?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

No loving way. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

[edit] WOOOOOOOO, time for the NHK livestream, I fuckin' looooove Sunday mornings!

[edit 2]
I forgot that this is only the second half of the top division. poo poo.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 26, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Enho Kiribayama was a fantastic match. The english commentary during confinement really helped me with understanding the subtleties better, and weekend commentary like today is really nice.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Enho Kiribayama was a fantastic match. The english commentary during confinement really helped me with understanding the subtleties better, and weekend commentary like today is really nice.

Just watched it too, and yeah, understanding that it's not just two dudes catching their breath but planning and trying to figure multiple ways into/out of the next few possible moves is awesome. It's like body movement chess.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Brut posted:

The Abema one?
hell yeah

there it is

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

drat, I thought Kotonowaka's fall yesterday looked nasty and apparently it was. That really sucks 'cause I thought he was having a really promising basho.

Asanoyama going 8-0 is awesome. He's looking so goddamn strong

Hakuho looked speedy tonight, like he'd intercepted everyone of Kagayaki's moves when they were still just thoughts.

kenning, can I please trade Kotonowaka for Kotoshogiku

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Is it too late for trades?

If not, Kotonowaka for Kotoeko would be luvverly.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Hakuho's ability to read and react to stuff on the fly is one of the most insane things I've ever seen. He's like some kind of sumobot; the number of times I've seen him read a shift in posture - or better, goad someone into making that shift themselves - and then capitalize on it instantly is just insane. He's a cocky rear end in a top hat sometimes (okay, most of the time), and I normally hate that in a person, but god drat is he good at what he does.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Okay, finally able to catch back up on sumo after a very busy Friday and Saturday. Generally there's no trading on Day 8, but a Kotonowaka kyujo late after day 7 sucks, and didn't give us any time to trade, so gently caress it, let's trade for day 9. I'm taking Terunofuji for Kotonowaka.

All trades registered in the order they were received.

Things I've been loving so far this basho:

1. Asanoyama fighting like a champion. He's been poised, clever, and powerful. Beautiful classic sumo.
2. Enho doing Enho still working, against all odds. His bout with Tamawashi was beautiful.
3. Terunofuji with like 2 or 3 kimedashi so far, going full kaiju down at the bottom of makuuchi. I hope he can continue to hang as he gets promoted.
4. Kotoshoho as a promising new talent.
5. Hakuho still fighting like the GOAT he is.

Things that have been a bit of a bummer:

1. Onosho and Yutakayama both winless. I like both of these rikishi, but they look like hell. Yutakayama seems injured, and Onosho, while probably injured as well, is also very clearly in his head and unable to focus.
2. Kotonowaka getting hurt, since I was getting strong "young Kisenosato" vibes from him in the first few days.
3. Takayasu just barely putting it together way down in the double digits.

Over all though I'm pretty satisfied with the quality of sumo by nakabi. I can't wait to see Hakuho vs. Asanoyama.

Day 8 standings

code:
18	anakha
26	Banana Canada
26	bartolimu
23.5	bessantj
15.5	Charles Gnarwin
29	Diplomat
25	Elissimpark
30	GoatSeeGuy
25	Jobbo_Fett
25	Kenning
26	Lid
22	Marching Powder
22	Martytoof
21.5	Mekchu
27	QuasiQuack
27	ratmosphere
28	Scythe
20.5	sivad
25	Spokes
32	Thauros
21.5	Tiny Bug Child
25	whats for dinner

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Abi being a dumbass a bummer or a highlight

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Total highlight. Our boy is an absolute legend. Easily the biggest bro in makuuchi.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

At this point, there no sense In trading so I’m going down with my lovable losers. Makes it more exciting when they pull off a win.

I have no clue what is going on with Endo. He just seems completely off.

Ishiura catching that trip was sick.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ishiura catching that trip was sick.

Seriously. It looked awesome in the slow-mo, too

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The gyoji in the Takayasu-Kotoeko bout (possibly others) did not shut up for a single goddamn second. :byodood: "You're still in you're still in you're still in" the entire time, even when neither one was anywhere near the tawara. I don't know how some of those refs don't get "accidentally" backhanded more often.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I trade Abi for Takanosho when possible due to Abi having to (do a?) kyujo? Cheers.

Also if possible, could I get a reminder of what my roster/team should look like? I forget what changes went through or not.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 27, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just a couple of bosses in native garb.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

anakha posted:

Just a couple of bosses in native garb.

i miss u, asashoryu :smith:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
love to see chiyomaru get his first win :unsmith:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Can I trade Abi for Takanosho when possible due to Abi having to (do a?) kyujo? Cheers.

Also if possible, could I get a reminder of what my roster/team should look like? I forget what changes went through or not.

Sure, we're doing late trades this basho due to shenanigans. Your current roster is Takakeisho, Mitakeumi, Takanosho, Enho, and Takayasu.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
God drat TOKUSHORYU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
and Enho gets robbed. at worst its a rematch.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Lid posted:

and Enho gets robbed. at worst its a rematch.

Yeah, I'm still perplexed by that myself. I only watch the Natto videos and he didn't translate any of what was said in the explanation so it seemed a bit rough. Also, I don't think Hakuho even needed to mow down that gyoji, looked more like he did it for fun.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 27, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Goddammit, Abi.

https://tachiai.org/2020/07/26/abis-night-out-update/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A loving genius move.

Contracting and possibly spreading the rona in order to cancel the tournament means you don’t have to worry about not winning :smug:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Night business is a euphemism for the variety of host/hostess clubs and “cabaret” clubs and night clubs around Tokyo. I do want to be clear that this does not mean that Abi went to a brothel or some red light district. A lot of these places are very PG-13 or R-rated. But they CAN be rather seedy and the point of them is to be in close contact with other people. Exactly how close, though, umm…well…that depends and is outside the scope (thankfully) of this update. Let’s just close with the certainty that they’re not the kind of place the Kyokai wants its staff frequenting during a pandemic, and they are often cited by officials as COVID hot spots.

I'm going to wager they were pink salons.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You know Abi fucks around.

Day 9 standings:

code:
21	anakha
31	Banana Canada
29	bartolimu
28.5	bessantj
18.5	Charles Gnarwin
32	Diplomat
27	Elissimpark
36	GoatSeeGuy
30	Jobbo_Fett
29	Kenning
31	Lid
24	Marching Powder
24	Martytoof
23.5	Mekchu
31	QuasiQuack
29	ratmosphere
31	Scythe
22.5	sivad
27	Spokes
38	Thauros
26	Tiny Bug Child
28	whats for dinner

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Enho got fuckin robbed. They were never going to give him that call and had to dig for a reason. It should have just been a rematch.

Tokushoryu weighs over 400 lbs and did a sick Enho impression. He was flying around the dohyo like a dude half his size. Great win

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

As an Onosho-haver, I'd like to propose that any rikishi that sticks it out to a 0-15 record without taking the face-saving kyujo earns their owner 15 points, starting immediately...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

still in the lead despite going with enho at m6 for my first pick in that tier even tho i knew that was kinda dumb

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

sivad posted:

As an Onosho-haver, I'd like to propose that any rikishi that sticks it out to a 0-15 record without taking the face-saving kyujo earns their owner 15 points, starting immediately...

In the time I've been watching sumo I haven't seen a single 0-15 record from someone who fought all 15 days. I think Yoshikaze was like 0-11 or 0-12 in one of his last bashos before picking up 2 wins to end at 2-13. A 0-15 record is pretty brutal.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

In the time I've been watching sumo I haven't seen a single 0-15 record from someone who fought all 15 days. I think Yoshikaze was like 0-11 or 0-12 in one of his last bashos before picking up 2 wins to end at 2-13. A 0-15 record is pretty brutal.

It has only happened 4 times in the top division, most recently in 1991

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

is there a way to look up a heya's roster on sumodb? the site seems to have everything else you'd possibly want other than that

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brilliant, good lookup!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

drat, none of them returned to makuuchi afterwards and only one stuck around in juryo for an extended period

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

is there a way to look up a heya's roster on sumodb? the site seems to have everything else you'd possibly want other than that

Yup, select the heya at the top center, and put in the current month/year in the Basho section so that you get the current roster rather than anyone who's ever been in a heya by that name, here's an example:

You can also enter the year/month as ranges, so if I'm looking for historical things most of my queries are "1960-2020" in the year field, as before that the sumo system was very different (changes weren't in 1960 exactly, but it's close enough for most of the things I tend to wanna look up).

Same goes for ranks, so you can enter "M15w" for exactly that, or "M15" for either west or east, or "M1-M10", etc.

Also, this website is only updated once a year so typically has out of date ranks as well as missing some new guys and having some folks still there who have retired, but on the upside includes face pictures of everyone:

http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 28, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
You can also go through search by rikishi and just choose a heya and no name. If you don't choose an active basho, you'll get a historical list.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not a good couple of days for my favorites Mitakeumi and Takakeisho, the latter should've lost but the gyoji decided to save him.

Asanoyama looks super strong, and Hakuho is Hakuho. Also on the books, the sneaky M17 yusho!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

You can also go through search by rikishi and just choose a heya and no name. If you don't choose an active basho, you'll get a historical list.

Are your referring to the "Group By: Rikishi" option under "Group similar results" section, or did you mean something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm so salty over the Enho loss yesterday. Three weird monoii results in a row (?) -- Enho's should have been a torinaoshi at the LEAST, as they overturned a clearer win just a match (?) ago. I'm not sure the outcome would have been any different but at least Takakeisho would have come by his W honestly.

I'm (?) because it's first thing in the morning and I'm severely undercaffeinated so..