Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I guess the Simpsons did their superhero episode and this is the plot they came up with.

While performing at an Easter celebration, the Springfield Elementary band members inadvertently launch hundreds of eggs from their instruments, ruining the townspeople's clothes and splattering the streets. Suspicion quickly falls on Bart, but he denies committing the prank. Lisa eventually decides that the best way to determine his guilt is to hold a trial, which is presided over by Janet Reno. The odds do not look good in Bart's favor, and he is close to being found guilty. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns rediscovers his love of superheroes after visiting Comic Book Guy's store, and he decides to become a superhero named Fruitbat Man. Smithers, fearful of Burns's safety, stages numerous crimes for his boss to thwart, using Homer, Lenny, Carl, the Crazy Cat Lady, and other citizens as patsies for supervillain identities. Desperate to find someone to solve Bart's dilemma, Lisa tries to hire Burns, but he refuses. Smithers admits to Burns all his previous exploits were faked, and this was Burns' one chance to really help someone.

As Marge washes the town's clothes, she and Lisa notice that Groundskeeper Willie's kilt is stained with only one egg, which appears to have been crushed into it by hand. Realizing that Willie is the culprit, Lisa confronts him; he confesses to committing the prank due to his hatred of the Easter holiday and shreds the kilt to destroy the evidence. As he tries to escape on his tractor, Burns intervenes and captures him, having had a change of heart. Burns turns Willie over to the court just before Reno can deliver a guilty verdict against Bart. Lisa thanks Burns and suggests that he might take advantage of his heroics to become a better person; meanwhile, Moe breaks down sobbing after he gets a phone call informing him of Bart's acquittal.

Before the end credits, there is a trailer for the "Dependables," a spoof that casts several of Springfield's elderly residents as a superhero team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

that's the guy who went to jail for being a diddler right

Yup.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bobjr posted:

I guess the Simpsons did their superhero episode and this is the plot they came up with.

While performing at an Easter celebration, the Springfield Elementary band members inadvertently launch hundreds of eggs from their instruments, ruining the townspeople's clothes and splattering the streets. Suspicion quickly falls on Bart, but he denies committing the prank. Lisa eventually decides that the best way to determine his guilt is to hold a trial, which is presided over by Janet Reno. The odds do not look good in Bart's favor, and he is close to being found guilty. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns rediscovers his love of superheroes after visiting Comic Book Guy's store, and he decides to become a superhero named Fruitbat Man. Smithers, fearful of Burns's safety, stages numerous crimes for his boss to thwart, using Homer, Lenny, Carl, the Crazy Cat Lady, and other citizens as patsies for supervillain identities. Desperate to find someone to solve Bart's dilemma, Lisa tries to hire Burns, but he refuses. Smithers admits to Burns all his previous exploits were faked, and this was Burns' one chance to really help someone.

As Marge washes the town's clothes, she and Lisa notice that Groundskeeper Willie's kilt is stained with only one egg, which appears to have been crushed into it by hand. Realizing that Willie is the culprit, Lisa confronts him; he confesses to committing the prank due to his hatred of the Easter holiday and shreds the kilt to destroy the evidence. As he tries to escape on his tractor, Burns intervenes and captures him, having had a change of heart. Burns turns Willie over to the court just before Reno can deliver a guilty verdict against Bart. Lisa thanks Burns and suggests that he might take advantage of his heroics to become a better person; meanwhile, Moe breaks down sobbing after he gets a phone call informing him of Bart's acquittal.

Before the end credits, there is a trailer for the "Dependables," a spoof that casts several of Springfield's elderly residents as a superhero team.

This godawful nonsense aired seven loving years ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also Batman already did this plot in Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader. It's the one with the famous Alfred-Joker sequence.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Lisa looks like she just came in straight from a Hellraiser ripoff, and I'm getting major hillbilly serial killer couple vibes from Homer and Marge.

As an aside, I've only been to Niagara Falls once and it was on the Canadian side. We were told, "Don't worry, it's not as tacky as the American side", in which case the American side must be an absolute living nightmare (aside from it being in America lolol).

When I went to Niagra Falls the American side was just some old power plants and a national park system visitor center. The Canadian side is the side with the huge, iconic waterfall so that's where all the haunted houses, wax museums, and the like are.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Shary Bobbins is trash

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

lol the self-righteous Christian show's protagonist dad went to jail for fondling children?

I'm shocked, never could have seen such a thing coming

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I don't know which episode this is my son is watching, but I'm the least 5 minutes of it they made a Paterno statue joke and Rachel Maddow is the guest and nothing funny has happened

fake edit: I looked it up: Four Regrettings and a Funeral. Shearer won an Emmy for it

real edit: holy gently caress... reading the summary, I think I watched at least the beginning of this episode when it aired, but I have no memory of doing so

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I stopped watching with the episode where he has a crayon logged in his brain making him stupid. He gets called up onto stage to try out an Animotion costume that projects his image as a cartoon dog. He goes into these awful impressions that the cartoon dog mirrors and gets loving laughs from a huge audience. It felt like the show became these characters being actors playing their parts, if that makes sense,

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Empty Sandwich posted:

Four Regrettings and a Funeral.
R.I.P. Charlie. Kind of funny he got a callback before Richard or Lewis. And hell, when's the last time Jacques showed up

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Wait I looked it up and the gag was the funeral was for a new character they acted was somebody minor you should know named Chip. Got that mixed up with a Worst Episode Ever podcast riff on the idea of killing off Charlie. Perhaps I should spend my time analyzing good shows with worthwhile messages instead of this endless autopsy I engage in

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Daikloktos posted:

Wait I looked it up and the gag was the funeral was for a new character they acted was somebody minor you should know named Chip.

I wonder if Roy was at the funeral...

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I watched Season 2 "Brush with Greatness" last night. Probably hadn't seen it in 10 years. My god, what a classic. The whole Mt Splashmore sequence was fantastic,. You know you're watching good TV when you can recite all the lines but you still laugh out loud when they happen

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I grew up watching videotaped syndication cuts so it was always awesome seeing “new” sequences in the DVDs, particularly for the first few seasons which ran longer and got cut to ribbons

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

If you listen to the audio commentary Al Jean informs us that Mt. Splashmore Is a parody of water parks

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you broke my grill posted:

If you listen to the audio commentary Al Jean informs us that Mt. Splashmore Is a parody of water parks

Lol I've never even listened to any of the commentaries but i know through this thread that this is probably spot-on

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Thanks Al, I always miss those jokes in the corner

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
There's one bit where somebody throws shade at Greg Daniels for King of the Hill which blew my mind. I need to look up who that was so I can burn him on the public record

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Sexual abuse allegations

In October 2014, the New York City Police Department began investigating Collins after an audio tape leaked to the media revealed a male voice—purported to be that of Collins—admitting to past sexual abuse of a minor.[17] A Los Angeles Police Department spokesperson stated that Collins had been investigated by the department in 2012 after receiving a claim from 40 years earlier regarding sexual abuse. The LAPD further stated that its investigation did not allow it to "substantiate the allegation" against Collins.[23][24]

In a December 2014 interview with People magazine, Collins admitted he committed "inappropriate sexual conduct with three female minors" in 1973, 1982, and 1994.[25][26]

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Daikloktos posted:

There's one bit where somebody throws shade at Greg Daniels for King of the Hill which blew my mind. I need to look up who that was so I can burn him on the public record

Really? I know there's some tongue in cheek ribbing ("Brad Bird, whatever happened to that guy?"- recorded immediately after he won an Oscar for The Incredibles) but they're usually pretty respectful of their peers (or there will be a huge silence like James L. Brooks' rant against Fox and its scheduling/underpaying for the Simpsons relative to the phenomenon it was in real time)

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Kind of relayed to Simpsons celebrity cameos, how did people feel about Beck in the Futurama episode?

It's one of my favourite Celebrity cameos in a cartoon of all time. Mostly for Beck asking Bender what Devil's Haircut is about, and Beck forgetting how his song ends so it lasts three hours

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He was delightfully self-deprecating on Space Ghost too

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Poasty posted:

Kind of relayed to Simpsons celebrity cameos, how did people feel about Beck in the Futurama episode?

It's one of my favourite Celebrity cameos in a cartoon of all time. Mostly for Beck asking Bender what Devil's Haircut is about, and Beck forgetting how his song ends so it lasts three hours

I think the episode is one of the worst from the original run and Beck's role in it is completely unremarkable, personally. But I've never really thought much about Beck at all outside the context of this episode.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Poasty posted:

it's one of my favorites, too. there are a bunch of small, funny jokes that they don't hammer on, like old Simpsons.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I think they go so far over the top in fellating Beck that it feels satirical and funny rather than indulgant. That line about simultaneously transcending and reinventing genres is great.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
“Get the Becktionary. No no, the Rhyming Becktionary”

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Also Bender's "Oh My God your y Beck" is one of my favourite line reads

Edit: hosed up the quote

Sex Farm fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 27, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Poasty posted:

Also Bender's "Oh My God it's Beck" is one of my favourite line reads

Oh my god you're beck.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The Simpsons was already poo poo even before It's My Life by Bon Jovi was released.

I was thinking about that the other day.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

ikanreed posted:

Oh my god you're beck.

I realised that when I was in the shower and felt absolutely horrible

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Homer meeting George Harrison almost feels like a parody of how The Simpsons introduce celebrity guests in the modern era.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Ah so ah so

Me a like a da flied lice

Me flappa dickey rong time!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Ah so ah so

Me a like a da flied lice

Me flappa dickey rong time!

gently caress I forgot all about that

Just having it to demonstrate Krusty being racist and out of touch was bad. Even for 1998 it was bad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I really liked that bit. Krusty doing the kind of gags that would have killed at a Dean Martin roast but got him the Producers audience reaction in 1998 was a great dig at how lovely old comedy was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If anything it's kinda aged amazingly given we've seen how many comedians just completely self destruct on stage?

Although the modern version would be Krusty doubling down and coming out in blackface.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything it's kinda aged amazingly given we've seen how many comedians just completely self destruct on stage?

Although the modern version would be Krusty doubling down and coming out in blackface.

They basically did do that a year or 2 ago when they told people upset about Apu to gently caress off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apu is definitely a case where, if the show had ended at any reasonable point, people would say Apu had some issues but was overall a positive step.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

They basically did do that a year or 2 ago when they told people upset about Apu to gently caress off.

It was such an odd swing for them to take because they'd acknowledged all the problems with Apu a couple years before and quietly stopped using him at all.

The last episode with an Apu storyline was in 2016, and a lot of it was about his nephew, a modern second-generation Indian-American, being pissed off at him for being a stereotype who makes Indians look silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boomer brain, probably.

Got linked the Stonecutters song in another thread, and it's kinda wild that the full shot of the table at the beginning shows every character featured in the song, including the martian and the egg guy, in the place where they're later shown no less. It's not often even classic Simpsons bothers with that much consistency, especially given they made a joke out of how the layout of the town and the Simpson house changes scene to scene.