Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

without knowing anything yet i'm going to guess that the united states is somehow involved in the lovely situation that they were in when we started blowing things up. i'm looking forward to learning about it. i'll report back asap

:allears: this is going to be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rainbow Knight posted:

without knowing anything yet i'm going to guess that the united states is somehow involved in the lovely situation that they were in when we started blowing things up. i'm looking forward to learning about it. i'll report back asap

It seems overwhelmingly likely to me, yeah, although I think European NATO powers might've been as much involved as us. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 27, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mellow Seas posted:

Libya is basically a trolley problem where there was a million people on the tracks so we pulled the lever to divert to another track that also had a million people on the tracks.

libya was nicholas sarkozy deciding he wanted to get rid of whatever leverage gadaffi had on him and calling in favours to do it. the place is a wreck now because NATO doesn't build, it destroys, and once the slate was mostly clean they withdrew to their own petty imperial maneuvers. this outcome was eminently predictable to anyone without a seriously binkered view of what the use of military force in a foreign country entails

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Malleum posted:

i really like reading these kinds of posts because it is a very good demonstration of why libs are the most detestable worms on this blighted earth. america is bad, not because of anything like exporting terror throughout the globe and murdering millions in wars over mineral rights, its because the cost of childcare personally impacts them. america is the worst place on earth to raise a family, on par with the loving congo, because pre- and post-natal care make your bank account cry, and it is actually us who are morally bankrupt because we refuse to cast a meaningless vote for the rapist that promises that nothing will change

for a dipshit that cries about privilege, you sure are bereft of real loving problems if you think that its the cost of childcare that makes this rotten hellhole a poor place to live

Make fun of me after you have someone else who’s literal mental stability relies entirely on your ability to keep extremely stable coverage.

No pressure, just some hallucinations and complete disconnect from reality for them if you fail.

Good thing having a child only increased my monthly healthcare bill $300 a month. Totally had enough money lying around to buy a new PS4 every single month for 26 years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

spunkshui posted:

Make fun of me after you have someone else who’s literal mental stability relies entirely on your ability to keep extremely stable coverage.

No pressure, just some hallucinations and complete disconnect from reality for them if you fail.

Good thing having a child only increased my monthly healthcare bill $300 a month. Totally had enough money lying around to buy a new PS4 every single month for 26 years.

drat, that sure sounds like it sucks, almost as much as a pregnant woman getting thrown out of an american helicopter by an american backed fascist dictator after an american backed coup

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Malleum posted:

drat, that sure sounds like it sucks, almost as much as a pregnant woman getting thrown out of an american helicopter by an american backed fascist dictator after an american backed coup

Mental health is really bad here yeah.

I don’t wish dealing with psych-wards on anyone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mellow Seas posted:

Libya is basically a trolley problem where there was a million people on the tracks so we pulled the lever to divert to another track that also had a million people on the tracks.

except the trolley shouldn't have been there at all and we chose to put it there

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spunkshui posted:

Mental health is really bad here yeah.

I don’t wish dealing with psych-wards on anyone.

It sucks, yes. Paperwork and wait times and restrictions and all that. But trying to say that it's comparable to wartime atrocities inflicted by hostile powers is pretty bold.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I participate in threads like these not because I want people to vote third party or Trump. But because one of the most harmful things democrats have done is coopting generally progressive people into defending and supporting things that not too long ago they opposed when a Republican first tried it.

And here we have the perfect example of it. Obama has publicly said that Libya was the worst mistake of his presidency. But somehow, here we are, with people defending what not even Obama is willing to defend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

I participate in threads like these not because I want people to vote third party or Trump. But because one of the most harmful things democrats have done is coopting generally progressive people into defending and supporting things that not too long ago they opposed when a Republican first tried it.

And here we have the perfect example of it. Obama has publicly said that Libya was the worst mistake of his presidency. But somehow, here we are, with people defending what not even Obama is willing to defend.

Yeah, it's a level of stupidity where I think intent stops mattering. There's not any practical difference between someone who is lying about supporting left-wing goals and someone who genuinely supported them but is also such a dumbass rube that they completely buy into the right-wing bipartisan consensus.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Malleum posted:

i really like reading these kinds of posts because it is a very good demonstration of why libs are the most detestable worms on this blighted earth. america is bad, not because of anything like exporting terror throughout the globe and murdering millions in wars over mineral rights, its because the cost of childcare personally impacts them. america is the worst place on earth to raise a family, on par with the loving congo, because pre- and post-natal care make your bank account cry, and it is actually us who are morally bankrupt because we refuse to cast a meaningless vote for the rapist that promises that nothing will change

Their worldview is exactly as blinkered and self-obsessed as the conservatives they hate so much.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I said that the Libya intervention took a bad, intractable disaster of a situation and turned it into a bad, intractable disaster of a situation. If you guys want to call that "defending" it and jerk each other off about how enlightened you are compared to the filthy idiot libs, go nuts.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the situation was bad, but the intervention actually managed to make it worse

eliminating the only actual leadership in the country in the middle of a civil war creates a power vacuum into which foreign powers will insert their minions with zero regard for the locals. that could've been prevented had there been any interest or capability for nation building (or at least for establishing a basic monopoly of violence so the place doesn't explode into warlordism) but such capacity and interest is not only absent from modern NATO, it is directly contrary to its mission and doctrine

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

V. Illych L. posted:

the situation was bad, but the intervention actually managed to make it worse

eliminating the only actual leadership in the country in the middle of a civil war creates a power vacuum into which foreign powers will insert their minions with zero regard for the locals. that could've been prevented had there been any interest or capability for nation building (or at least for establishing a basic monopoly of violence so the place doesn't explode into warlordism) but such capacity and interest is not only absent from modern NATO, it is directly contrary to its mission and doctrine

I believe it - my limited understanding is that there was already a Syria-level total destruction civil war happening, and it’s hard to imagine things being any worse than that. Perhaps Obama, Hillary and our allies achieved that. I haven’t read anything in depth about it, if anybody has anything they want to share I’d be appreciative, otherwise I can look on my own because it’s nobody’s job to do my research for me.

Thanks for engaging substantively VIL.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The thing that will be funny about Kamala being the VP is that she has managed to torpedo every venture she has signed on for, to stopping Steve Mnuchin, stopping Brett Kavanaugh, even stopping Joe Biden, so if she does end up the running mate, that will somehow, polls be damned, the kiss of death for Joe Biden's campaign and Trump will win for sure.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don’t think there is a VP choice that could torpedo Biden’s campaign. It’s hard enough to do in a regular election, but I think worst case enthusiasm goes down while polls stay the same.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bobjr posted:

I don’t think there is a VP choice that could torpedo Biden’s campaign. It’s hard enough to do in a regular election, but I think worst case enthusiasm goes down while polls stay the same.

The true accelerationist's choice, Hillary Rodham Clinton

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bobjr posted:

I think there are, but as much as I hate her Harris isn't one. She's a loathsome, evil, person but she's evil in a DNC approved way and it'll just be spun as the typical 'oh so crimes against prisoners are bad when a BLACK WOMAN does it huh????' idpol garbage

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Mellow Seas posted:

It seems overwhelmingly likely to me, yeah, although I think European NATO powers might've been as much involved as us. Looking forward to seeing what you find.

so you're right it's pretty much this. lots of imperial meddling from Europe topped off with some sanctions from the US later on.

so bringing it back to the GE and comments from others about Biden's potential success or failure with international affairs, i don't see him doing any less damage than Trump or Reagan or Clinton or Obama or anyone. our "thing" is being awful to countries. Cuba. anywhere that we hear about communism. anywhere there is a dictator. we don't want to help the people suffering, we just want to wipe out their country then point to the smoldering slag pile that we leave behind and say, "man what a lovely country that must be" and Biden will most definitely carry on that proud tradition

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Relatedly, there is an article in the nation today about the biden campaign's outreach to progressives in the foreign policy sphere. Looks like crumbs, but gives this discussion some facts to anchor on. https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/biden-foreign-policy/

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

plogo posted:

Relatedly, there is an article in the nation today about the biden campaign's outreach to progressives in the foreign policy sphere. Looks like crumbs, but gives this discussion some facts to anchor on. https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/biden-foreign-policy/

i read the whole thing but

quote:

More recently, Biden’s main foreign policy adviser, Tony Blinken, said at an American Jewish Committee event that under a Biden administration, all sanctions on Iran would remain in place,

what the gently caress did we just talk about, Joe?! :argh:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

plogo posted:

Reading the article I'm not even seeing the crumbs. It says Blinken is open to listening to progressives and one former Sanders advisor says he and Blinken both have liking the Beatles as common ground, but I don't see any actual concessions to the left being offered up. Biden wants to maintain troops in the Middle East, continue all sanctions (including Trump's) against Iran, and intends to give Israel a blank check while promising to defend them from any UN intervention, no matter how tepid. And as a bonus he's attacking Trump for being soft on China.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Reading the article I'm not even seeing the crumbs. It says Blinken is open to listening to progressives and one former Sanders advisor says he and Blinken both have liking the Beatles as common ground, but I don't see any actual concessions to the left being offered up. Biden wants to maintain troops in the Middle East, continue all sanctions (including Trump's) against Iran, and intends to give Israel a blank check while promising to defend them from any UN intervention, no matter how tepid. And as a bonus he's attacking Trump for being soft on China.

Vote Biden: Because Trump's Not Inflicting Enough Harm

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rainbow Knight posted:

so you're right it's pretty much this. lots of imperial meddling from Europe topped off with some sanctions from the US later on.

so bringing it back to the GE and comments from others about Biden's potential success or failure with international affairs, i don't see him doing any less damage than Trump or Reagan or Clinton or Obama or anyone. our "thing" is being awful to countries. Cuba. anywhere that we hear about communism. anywhere there is a dictator. we don't want to help the people suffering, we just want to wipe out their country then point to the smoldering slag pile that we leave behind and say, "man what a lovely country that must be" and Biden will most definitely carry on that proud tradition

This is laughably inaccurate; the US doesn't give a poo poo about dictatorships as long as they're friendly to American businesses ruthlessly exploiting their resources and populace.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

In the case of no candidate getting to 270 electoral votes, if the House of Representatives votes by delegation to pick the president, how many delegations are controlled by each party?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

In the case of no candidate getting to 270 electoral votes, if the House of Representatives votes by delegation to pick the president, how many delegations are controlled by each party?

I believe Republicans control 26 state delegations.

Edit: in other news the DNC voted against including M4A in the Dem platform. Vote was 36-125.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 28, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Complications posted:

This is laughably inaccurate; the US doesn't give a poo poo about dictatorships as long as they're friendly to American businesses ruthlessly exploiting their resources and populace.

then add air quotes!

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I believe Republicans control 26 state delegations.

Edit: in other news the DNC voted against including M4A in the Dem platform. Vote was 36-125.

https://twitter.com/zachjcarter/status/1287893634193461253

Don't forget marijuana legalization and opposing illegal settlements in Israel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pobrecito posted:

https://twitter.com/zachjcarter/status/1287893634193461253

Don't forget marijuana legalization and opposing illegal settlements in Israel.

people planning to vote democratic this year, defend this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I want to know why I need to vote for Biden to stop the healthcare gutting, drug war loving, zionism supporting, Trump administration if apparently even the DNC seems to disagree with you there.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

people planning to vote democratic this year, defend this

But RBG!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

sexpig by night posted:

I think there are, but as much as I hate her Harris isn't one. She's a loathsome, evil, person but she's evil in a DNC approved way and it'll just be spun as the typical 'oh so crimes against prisoners are bad when a BLACK WOMAN does it huh????' idpol garbage

I'd not underestimate the chances of a kobby blowup.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RBG will cling to that loving gavel until president Kamala Harris swears in her replacement.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/WeWorkPRGuy1/status/1287879395932172288?s=20

I think this is a very good point. To the people arguing that we need to get Biden in and then hold his feet to the fire to pull him left, what would that actually look like and why would he listen?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The MSNBC lib scum are currently platforming Bernie Sanders.

He's making strong arguments about continued unemployment and unemployment-adjacent support for, you know, everybody.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

I want to know why I need to vote for Biden to stop the healthcare gutting, drug war loving, zionism supporting, Trump administration if apparently even the DNC seems to disagree with you there.

Because we need to Restore the Soul of America™. Which is, uhh, zionism apparently.

is pepsi ok posted:

https://twitter.com/WeWorkPRGuy1/status/1287879395932172288?s=20

I think this is a very good point. To the people arguing that we need to get Biden in and then hold his feet to the fire to pull him left, what would that actually look like and why would he listen?

Looking at whats moved the conversation lately, I'm guessing the fire in question is an actual fire.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know that because some people hold the position that "everything the Democratic party does is bad", and therefore think that if somebody disagrees with them on that, "they must think everything the Democratic party does is good." It's like when loving Fox watchers think any liberal or leftist loves CNN.

Anyway I've been told a million loving times in this thread that party platforms don't mean anything, and it's just meaningless pandering, but I guess that only counts when you're appeasing the left, and nobody would ever pander to AIPAC.

But yeah, to be fair, in this case, he's almost certainly not pandering to AIPAC; Biden's Israel policy is overwhelmingly likely to be complete poo poo. He's not going to pass M4A. He's not going to legalize weed at the federal level. Take a victory lap, I guess.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I mean, I just need healthcare, there is no loving "victory lap" for me to take.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Mellow Seas posted:

I know that because some people hold the position that "everything the Democratic party does is bad", and therefore think that if somebody disagrees with them on that, "they must think everything the Democratic party does is good." It's like when loving Fox watchers think any liberal or leftist loves CNN.

Anyway I've been told a million loving times in this thread that party platforms don't mean anything, and it's just meaningless pandering, but I guess that only counts when you're appeasing the left, and nobody would ever pander to AIPAC.

But yeah, to be fair, in this case, he's almost certainly not pandering to AIPAC; Biden's Israel policy is overwhelmingly likely to be complete poo poo. He's not going to pass M4A. He's not going to legalize weed at the federal level. Take a victory lap, I guess.

iirc people said that biden’s platform meant nothing but it’s been months of this stuff so idk. the whole party declaring that none of what democrat voters want is important is just demoralizing so i don’t know who wants to take a victory lap for this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's a strong signal of where the party's willing to state loudly that it's going, which seems to be pretty straightforward right-democratic stuff. this is not surprising, but since the biden-as-stealth-progressive theory has been seriously advanced itt it's worth noting imo