Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i should probably be executed at the stake for using my podcast twitter to follow vanilla henty artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

blarghle

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well that's what twitter is for so i don't see the issue

i guess pixiv's better for that now but some artists aren't on there yet

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

not most, but some, yeah. i know someone who did a couple songs for homestuck, it seems like it was a pretty fly by night operation
How so? Were they not getting paid? Was the bandcamp revenue nit being distributed properly?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

How so? Were they not getting paid? Was the bandcamp revenue nit being distributed properly?

it was probably just a couple people emailing or messaging each other

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

scary ghost dog posted:

it was probably just a couple people emailing or messaging each other
oh, I thought fly-by-night meant "shady" lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

oh, I thought fly-by-night meant "shady" lol

it kind of does but i feel like in this context it just meant unprofessional. ill wait for clarification from the op

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

yeah I haven't heard any disputes pop up from the people who were involved in that

some later stuff popped up from people who just handled merch or whatnot but the core creative team didn't seem to have too many issues and everybody seems to have had a pretty positive experience from what I've heard

anyway hussie mandated that the sequel contain a character whose nickname is yiffy because her parent is a furry so I have to go read that now I guess

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

excited to have a homestuck AV in the year of our lord 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I couldn't follow all the plot threads in Homestuck so I quit reading it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was under the impression that it was a choose your own adventure game, and I clicked for about 20 pages waiting for the game to start

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

They have Initial D manhole covers in Gunma now

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

this is pure speculation on my part but itd be weird if oda wasnt a factor in the kenshin guy getting back to work at shonen jump so quickly after he was convicted, considering as the One Piece guy hed clearly have a lot of sway and he went out of his way to do interviews with him soon after he was let back into the fold

the tokiko guy on his own is one thing, he was actually out of jump for like a decade, spent a good while in jail, and it was a sting operation so its not like he actually hosed a kid or anything. if hes genuinely apologetic and such and theres no proof of him having ever engaged with an actual child prostitute im fine with him not being punished further. but in concert with the kenshin guy, who wasnt punished at all really, its pretty hosed.

I agree with you for the most part but I don't think trying and failing at a crime is that much better than succeeding, considering the intent was still there.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
hotarubi no mori e, good romance short film, 9/10

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I was under the impression that it was a choose your own adventure game, and I clicked for about 20 pages waiting for the game to start

lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still remember a goon with an AV of a Homestuck character making a jerk-off motion and the red-text being something like "Homestuck > The Works of William Shakespeare". It was a joyful combo, tbqh.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Remember when cons were just loving lousy with Homestuck cosplayers throwing buckets and poo poo

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i would rather read homestuck than the works of shakespeare

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly you're missing out on some good stuff. I love Othello and Macbeth, and there's a bunch of other cool/interesting tragedies and comedies in there. And if the old English is too hard to parse, there are a bunch of modern day English translations that make for easier reading.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wanna play fate/extra record

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The works of shakespeare are cool imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I agree with you for the most part but I don't think trying and failing at a crime is that much better than succeeding, considering the intent was still there.
i get what you mean but i think at the end of the day its better to have not hosed a child than to have hosed one

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has any Shakespeare work gotten an anime adaptation? Like I know Blast of Tempest drinks a lot from the actual Tempest well and at least a couple of other works (and I mean, like direct-rear end quotes and everything) but like straight up actual adaptations/reimaginations. Like how 10 Things I Hate About You is basically Taming of the Shrew.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Romeo X Juliet

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's at least one romeo & juliet anime, possibly several

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zeether posted:

Romeo X Juliet
Right! That's the one that has like Mechahorses and Wyvernriders, right?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Right! That's the one that has like Mechahorses and Wyvernriders, right?
I don't recall much about it but I heard there was some crazy poo poo near the end

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dramas, momentarily

homeless snail posted:

Dramatic monday btw, 8PM Eastern. Amachan, Nigehaji, Ryomaden

https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchdramas

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's Zetsuen no Tempest but I haven't read or watched it so I have no idea how much it is actually like The Tempest

other than that the closest I can think of is Ran, which is not anime but is King Lear

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Blast of Tempest is more metatextually about Shakespeare, the story isn't the same as the Tempest (or Hamlet, which it is equally concerned with iirc)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
If I wasn't a fan of the play, would I like Romeo x Juliet more?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There's an old joke about Shakespeare: that if Othello were in Hamlet and Hamlet were in Othello there'd be no tragedy, because Hamlet would figure out he was being tricked and Othello would just stab his evil uncle in Act 1. This would make a great anime imo, dimension hopping Shakespeare heroes out to save each other from their respective terrible fates

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds a lot like Symphogear.

I miss Symphogear. :(

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

gently caress King Gainer rules

I got bored of it, but I can still hear the opening

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Willo567 posted:

No, Romeo x Juliet wasn’t a good anime.

If you want clarification it was animated by Gonzo, and that’s pretty much all the info you need right there.

——

Shakespeare is great and I need to read more of his stuff. I took 2 classes in University and even did one of my highest level undergrad classes on his History plays and Henry the IV part one is fantastic and Richard III is great too. It’s really hard to parse some of that stuff but if you have footnotes to help you with some of the more obscure things. There’s some jokes in his stuff that’s super funny to this day.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what kinda clarification is noting that gonzo animated it, gonzo's got a lot of duds but they've also been involved with lots of solid stuff

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Willo567 posted:

thought you were talking poo poo about romeo + juliet here, at which point i would be forced to kick your rear end. thankfully youre talking about something else that i dont care about so we can both be spared a really tedious online argument

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Has every work of Shakespeare been adapted to a film or is there a rare one that hasn't?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Been thinking about rewatching Yona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

klapman posted:

thought you were talking poo poo about romeo + juliet here, at which point i would be forced to kick your rear end. thankfully youre talking about something else that i dont care about so we can both be spared a really tedious online argument
What are your thoughts on dumb late 90's modern retellings like 10 Things I Hate About You and Get Over It?