Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Guze posted:

The big boy made up throwing out the first pitch at the Yankees game
look how happy he is outside and away from twitter. then he carelessly drops the glove and ball on the ground and frowns at his phone on the toilet until 4am

Grondoth posted:

... why are they opposing Marijuana legalization? People want it. It works well. What in the world are they doing?
voters-who-would-never-ever-vote-for-a-democrat would never vote for a democrat if they supported legalizing marijuana!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Vote for us because things are bad, but please understand that better things are impossible.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1287844283932966912

this guy infected 14 members of his family and wound up killing his father-in-law and his mother (the FIL's mother, not the guy in the article)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Political Party aligns its platform with positions of Party Leader, news at 11.

As always, Elections Have Consequences. This is why Bernie has been lobbying Biden on Platform issues he can actually move him on, like the Public Option, not trying to pretend he can get Biden on board with M4A. However, Bernie has also not given up on M4A, which is why he keeps talking about it. He's looking toward the next round of the fight.

Also the platform means exactly poo poo the second the election is over, its the political equivalent of a billboard ad. Prepare yourselves for the struggle to advance progressive ideas AFTER November rather than wringing your hands over this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

this guy infected 14 members of his family and wound up killing his father-in-law and his mother (the FIL's mother, not the guy in the article)

you have to be neutron star dense to be a conservative Dallas gay in the first place

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mr Interweb posted:

somewhere some repeatedly divorced boomer is reading this story and going "it kills my in-laws? gotta get me some of that virus"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wilbur Swain posted:

A reporter dared to state that his poll numbers were down, he went off on a tirade so delusional he sounded schizophrenic, then ended the press conference.

here's the beginning
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1287840319665569793

This loving idiot and his ilk really believe the loudest idiots are the rest of the country, just lmao

But somehow they are the "silent" majority? :thunk:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grondoth posted:

... why are they opposing Marijuana legalization? People want it. It works well. What in the world are they doing?

Legalization is happening at a state by state and city by city level. in the next four years over 30 states will have legalized it.

they're content to let states do it an come in at the end of it because they're gutless worms

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Is it genuinely just Biden's opposition pulling them there? I always thought Biden's opposition didn't matter since the money and lobby, not to mention the voters, are all behind it so it's a no-brainer that they'd force his hand on. Jesus Christ just when I let the tiniest bit of optimism in too.

This is one of those times when Democrats and liberals and progressives need to remember that federalism is a thing, and that we can't tie our hopes to the Federal Government. Of the MANY lessons from the last three years, one is that Dems need to do more work at the state level to implement the changes we want to see. Obviously, a cooperative and friendly Federal Government is a bonus, but we need to learn to make the policy changes at the state levels when necessary. I like Biden, I think in general he could be a good President, but he is certainly not going to be progressive in the ways that the left wants to see. Instead of being demoralized, the left needs to shift strategies to the local level in order to influence the Feds. Besides, if we don't do that then it's very likely in 4 years that we're back under the heel of an rear end in a top hat Republican.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

you have to be neutron star dense to be a conservative Dallas gay in the first place

not if he's wealthy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Breitbart posted video of doctors speaking bravely about the miracle drug Hydroxochlorine

https://twitter.com/BreitbartNews/status/1287832679354789888?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheRightMelissa/status/1287890451769352192?s=20

https://twitter.com/w_terrence/status/1287898072048119809?s=20

Wellllllllll

https://twitter.com/KarenAlea/status/1287897067512266752?s=19k

https://twitter.com/smurgel/status/1287892500095496192?s=20

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 28, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wow, she's a nut. Who could have known? :rolleyes:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How did Hydroxychloroquine get so many cooks pushing it? It has to go farther than Trump bringing it up since he was clued onto it by people like this already doing it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Pretty sure it was just the first miracle drug that seemed scientific so it stuck. Although I'm surprised Ivermectin went away so fast. Seemed like that would have stayed on the quack circuit for longer. Maybe it was farm supply stores refusing to play ball. There are people who have been pushing zinc and Vitamin D but those are too obvious of bullshit for a lot of America.

SpitztheGreat posted:

This is one of those times when Democrats and liberals and progressives need to remember that federalism is a thing, and that we can't tie our hopes to the Federal Government. Of the MANY lessons from the last three years, one is that Dems need to do more work at the state level to implement the changes we want to see. Obviously, a cooperative and friendly Federal Government is a bonus, but we need to learn to make the policy changes at the state levels when necessary. I like Biden, I think in general he could be a good President, but he is certainly not going to be progressive in the ways that the left wants to see. Instead of being demoralized, the left needs to shift strategies to the local level in order to influence the Feds. Besides, if we don't do that then it's very likely in 4 years that we're back under the heel of an rear end in a top hat Republican.

Going to once again point out the utter worthlessness of this when it's only relevant to a handful of lucky states. Guess everybody else should just smile and shut up. Or we all move to the magic land of Virginia I guess?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How did Hydroxychloroquine get so many cooks pushing it? It has to go farther than Trump bringing it up since he was clued onto it by people like this already doing it.

I would assume some doctor somewhere sincerely thought it might help and someone shared this info or an article with Trump way back and he misunderstood it as he always does and then pushed it the great cure provided only by him and then half the country fell in line to tell the Emperor his clothes looked great.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

edit: dammit sorry nm

edit 2: actually might as well. some people might need confirmation:

https://twitter.com/Talkmaster/status/1287819774895034371

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 28, 2020

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

turn that oxygen to 9 9 9 !!!!!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Breitbart posted video of doctors speaking bravely about the miracle drug Hydroxochlorine

médecins sans principes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poo poo like this disgusts me. like these assholes know this is evil poo poo they are doing. i assume its a mix of nuts and grifters and such.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

if i remember Hydroxychloroquine has always been a piece in the snake oil sales men repitior. its just easier to sell now that a big dumb mark is in the WH.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

edit: dammit sorry nm

edit 2: actually might as well. some people might need confirmation:

https://twitter.com/Talkmaster/status/1287819774895034371

i am assume he is on a vent or some such. but isnt he like 70 or some poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Interweb posted:

In June that's totally also on them for going.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Laterite posted:

not if he's wealthy

yeah that's the material condition that drives the desire to be conservative, but you still have to be incredibly stupid to believe that the conservative government you want is going to be grateful to you for being one of the good ones and won't put you in the boxcar with the others

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Pretty sure it was just the first miracle drug that seemed scientific so it stuck. Although I'm surprised Ivermectin went away so fast. Seemed like that would have stayed on the quack circuit for longer. Maybe it was farm supply stores refusing to play ball. There are people who have been pushing zinc and Vitamin D but those are too obvious of bullshit for a lot of America.

Going to once again point out the utter worthlessness of this when it's only relevant to a handful of lucky states. Guess everybody else should just smile and shut up. Or we all move to the magic land of Virginia I guess?

I get the frustration, but I don't view it as worthless at all, I view it as an investment. One of the great tactical decisions that Republicans made in the last 50 years was to do more work at the state level, knowing that it would influence the political debate and make changes at the federal level easier. It's a long-game, no doubt about it, but Republican actions in Texas since 1960 have made even blue states move to the right, so it is an effective strategy.

By tying our hopes to the Federal Government alone, yes we may achieve the hail-mary, but as we've seen a Republican President can walk it back. A one-step forward, two steps back sort of approach. If we can implement good progressive policies at the state level, then we can make it harder for Republican Presidents to be assholes because the support for our policies will be stronger and more uniform.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 28, 2020

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

VitalSigns posted:

yeah that's the material condition that drives the desire to be conservative, but you still have to be incredibly stupid to believe that the conservative government you want is going to be grateful to you for being one of the good ones and won't put you in the boxcar with the others

You can be a wealthy psychopath republican and still be smart enough to know Covid is real.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dr Stella clinic

https://twitter.com/Beebesof6/status/1287915134371999745?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crackbone posted:

You can be a wealthy psychopath republican and still be smart enough to know Covid is real.

yeah. alot of my family are various stripe of conservative and they believe its real and take precautions and i know they are pissed that trump loving this up as well as not doing any kind of unity message during the protests.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Well Groverhaus has a competitor

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oh my god

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1287899364590063616

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Looks like a compound.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am assume he is on a vent or some such. but isnt he like 70 or some poo poo.

74, apparently. if by some miracle he survives, his last moments in life are going to be absolute hell

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was a legitimate early study target for Covid-19 treatment since it's a cheap, well studied immunosuppressant and Covid progression can kill you by driving your immune system up to lethal levels.

It just happened to hit the news cycles at the exact moment that Trump was casting around for miracle cure that would make the scary virus go away.

Edit: Actually, I think I misunderstood and Hydroxychloroquine was being studied as an antiviral, not an immunosuppressant

Haystack fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 28, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It's like doubling down cubed.

God forbid perfectly clothed emperor says something wrong, they have to go to crazy lengths to redefine reality to fit his stupidity

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Oh hey remember this Black disabled veteran who got arrested (on fake pretense by some good ole boy in Alabama) for having medical marijuana (legally prescribed to him in Arizona) and the resulting charges not only left he and his wife jobless and homeless but him in jail and her in dire need of medical care?

https://twitter.com/wallofmomsbama/status/1287008782724341760?s=19

Guess he just should've waited to treat his service related disability and PTSD until we sufficiently influenced people like Biden to get on board with decriminalizing it at the federal level.

The platform sucks and if the individual distaste of Joe Biden is enough to prevent the party from seeing where the electorate is on this issue (doesn't marijuana legalization have broad bipartisan support in every poll?) and aligning with them, we are in serious loving trouble. That they can't get behind M4A even as a huge chunk of the country loses their employer provided insurance in the middle of a pandemic can't even be called stupid - it's blatantly spiteful of people's needs and completely absent any desire to improve material conditions broadly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crackbone posted:

yeah but to be a wealthy gay Republican you have to believe that no matter how much Republicans hate you and want you dead nothing will really happen to you, turns out that same mindset also helps you not believe a virus that killed 150,000 Americans is real and can kill you too!

every Republican gay dude I know is also a covid truther
E: actually that's not true, I know one who isn't, but he's a never-Trumper and he's not wealthy either so I have no idea why he's a Republican

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 28, 2020

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. alot of my family are various stripe of conservative and they believe its real and take precautions and i know they are pissed that trump loving this up as well as not doing any kind of unity message during the protests.

Its kind of weird to me just how much the riots seemed to hurt Trump. Going full Civil War Rhetoric just totally backfired on him, and a lot of polls shows really surprising numbers of Republicans saying the protesters were partially of WHOLLY justified, even when they were toppling statues and burning precincts.

I guess it goes to show just how successful BLM has been as a social movement, even while Conservative media has worked their asses off the try and blunt their arguments and demonize their membership.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Its kind of weird to me just how much the riots seemed to hurt Trump. Going full Civil War Rhetoric just totally backfired on him, and a lot of polls shows really surprising numbers of Republicans saying the protesters were partially of WHOLLY justified, even when they were toppling statues and burning precincts.

I guess it goes to show just how successful BLM has been as a social movement, even while Conservative media has worked their asses off the try and blunt their arguments and demonize their membership.

Even the Libertarian candidate is tweeting BLM stuff, even though it's infuriating their base of aggrieved white dudes, it's too popular among everyone else to not do it if you're trying to get third party votes

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Oh hey remember this Black disabled veteran who got arrested (on fake pretense by some good ole boy in Alabama) for having medical marijuana (legally prescribed to him in Arizona) and the resulting charges not only left he and his wife jobless and homeless but him in jail and her in dire need of medical care?

https://twitter.com/wallofmomsbama/status/1287008782724341760?s=19

Guess he just should've waited to treat his service related disability and PTSD until we sufficiently influenced people like Biden to get on board with decriminalizing it at the federal level.

The platform sucks and if the individual distaste of Joe Biden is enough to prevent the party from seeing where the electorate is on this issue (doesn't marijuana legalization have broad bipartisan support in every poll?) and aligning with them, we are in serious loving trouble. That they can't get behind M4A even as a huge chunk of the country loses their employer provided insurance in the middle of a pandemic can't even be called stupid - it's blatantly spiteful of people's needs and completely absent any desire to improve material conditions broadly.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be better to have a federal policy, what I am saying is that getting state policies is better than nothing. If you don't get the changes at the Federal level that you want, what are you going to do? Just give up? Keep barking up that tree indefinitely? I'm just trying to say that a different approach may be necessary to see the change you want. If federal officials aren't going to listen, then it's better to atleast start getting some wins at the state level where possible. Wins of any sort will put pressure on politicians, so don't turn your nose up to wins at the state-level.

Now, obviously, some policy changes are better implemented at the federal level such as M4A, but if you can't get that in 2020, or 2021, you can't just give up. We need to find new ways, new strategies, to get what we want. And if it's at the state level, that's still saving/helping a lot of people- so lets not lose sight that we can do a lot of good even without the feds.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1287866879428538368?s=20

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Democratic Party is on the wrong side of every issue I care about. Not just moderate or cautious or whatever, they are actively opposed to every change that I think needs to happen. It's depressing knowing that I have no home in either major party, with no prospect of a third party getting significant traction in the near future either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I’ve said this a couple times before, but my pet theory is that we may have hit peak white backlash. White people who get activated by that kind of rhetoric he’s spouting now aren’t infinite. That well is deep but it does have a bottom. Sooner or later the red meat starts clogging your arteries and you run into diminishing returns.