Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Disnesquick posted:

There is no right way to respond to a fake narrative.

Being fake isn’t some kind of weird superpower, an ‘I win all arguments’ button.

For example there are a whole bunch of fake narratives about 5G and masks that would , if accepted, thoroughly undermine any claim of a government apparently handling Coronavirus successfully. Nevertheless, you will find the NZ Labour Party in government, and polling over 60%.

What they don’t have is a position that is immune to being lied about. What they do have is enough party unity that any intra-faction fights don’t have the losing side going to the media and asking ‘If you agree to publish my article about how the other faction is bad, what else do you want me to say?’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lady Demelza posted:

I wonder if people will look back at their Spanish holiday in 2020 the same way we look at the Berlin cabaret in the 1930s: a country where people could see the clouds gathering on the horizon but chose to ignore the storm approaching.

I absolutely feel that we won't be going back to 'normal' again. By normal, I mean that pre-Brexit vote, 2012 Olympics era when it was possible for a large chunk of the population to consume, party, muse about kitchen refits and relegate politics to the Sensible Centrist talking heads appearing on BBC news every evening confirming that everything was basically fine and would continue, in this way, forever.

We've had a series of severe shocks - Brexit, Trump, Coronavirus - that are accelerating the already existing trends of massive inequality and growing insecurity for an ever-larger proportion of people. This won't go away and will continue to have ever-sharper real world consequences unless and until our society can be pulled into a different direction of travel.

I feel rather sorry for the poor tourists over in Spain, forlornly following the same old patterns of behaviour and trying to will reality back into the comfy old ways - it ain't happening!

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

kingturnip posted:

While it's nice - albeit unnecessary - for the council to have my road resurfaced, I'm not sure the contractors need to start rolling their machines that literally vibrate the entire house down the road at 7:30am when I'm on Annual Leave.

Could be worse, the A14 works near Cambridge would start at 10pm and go on until 8 am every single night from at least mid march until late May, and with gently caress all soundproofing. "Oh it's safer to do it during the night" isn't really all that meaningful when there's almost no traffic at all due to lockdown.

... and for half of that time we also had fiber being installed here, starting at 8 am from 5pm so there was just a brief respite.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

stev posted:

They've been stripping the deadly cladding off my flat every morning at 8 sharp since the week lockdown started. It's torture.

It's good you won't be incinerated if a fag butt blows into the wrong crack though, op

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Apparently Westminster cemetery needs to be mowed every single weekday starting at 8am for the last 4 weeks straight, they've also cut down 15+ trees, had leafblowers out and damaged a bunch of 200 odd year old graves and they don't give a gently caress about complaints because the cemetery is actually in hanwell.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Many outdoor labouring jobs aren't paid by the hour, but by the task- so especially on a nice morning it's pretty common to get in early and try and get everything done so you can knock off earlier and enjoy the rest of the day

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

It's good you won't be incinerated if a fag butt blows into the wrong crack though, op

Don't kink shame

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I find it offensive that Greggs is associated with right wing jingoism, it’s a food of the working classes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Blame Piers Morgan and his normal one about the Vegan saus.

Pound_Coin posted:

Apparently Westminster cemetery needs to be mowed every single weekday starting at 8am for the last 4 weeks straight, they've also cut down 15+ trees, had leafblowers out and damaged a bunch of 200 odd year old graves and they don't give a gently caress about complaints because the cemetery is actually in hanwell.
I'd want to be in and out as fast as possible too, I'm afeared of the nonce ghosts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

They’ve had builders in our tower block installing new safety railings so there’s been drilling going on inside the building almost all day, every day, since pre-COVID (with a small break during lockdown, as a treat)

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

Many outdoor labouring jobs aren't paid by the hour, but by the task- so especially on a nice morning it's pretty common to get in early and try and get everything done so you can knock off earlier and enjoy the rest of the day

At this time of year, it’s also a lot cooler in the morning.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Disnesquick posted:

We've seen that defence doesn't work. As soon as the Left looked inwards and said "Oh yeah I guess we need to work on this", it was absolutely game over. The result is at least 10 years of misery and countless lives ruined. Amongst those lives are the Jewish leftists who have been alienated from their family, friends and communities because they chose to side with the Left and not the narrative.

I'm talking more like, don't accept the attacks, but don't do it in a way that basically says "no that's not a real thing". Reinforce your commitment to fighting antisemitism, be assertive about pushing the message that it has no place in society in general

And I don't mean some weak arse-covering sad face statement identical to what the Tories would put out, I mean standing on that platform and pushing an unapologetic agenda of solidarity and antiracism. Like leftists are supposed to be doing anyway! I'm not saying it's a golden opportunity, but that should be the core of any response - not something that looks like guilt or trying to ignore the subject. Own it!

And actually saying we need to work on it isn't necessarily a bad thing, and you don't have to accept that framing as though improving stuff and embodying your ideals is some embarrassing concession - Labour did need to work on it, that's why Jeremy Squad overhauled the old bad system, and created the new one (which Starmer is now getting credit for). But that's positive action that, again, should have been pushed as important and necessary work in the fight against antisemitism, and turned into a strength, something to be proud of. H...hell yeah we're anti-racist enough

but instead you get a situation where the Tom Watsons get to loudly proclaim nothing's being done and he's personally stepping in to make sure cases are dealt with, the people who ran the old regime go on panorama and :qq: about how bad it was and how Jereemy Crobon was responsible, and Kier Starmer gets to walk into his office on the first day and get handshakes and fruit baskets thanking him for fixing everything

A hostile media doesn't mean the message would have necessarily got out there and made all these shenanigans impossible, but you have to at least try. Not just because you think it will benefit you - doing this stuff is important and you need to set an example, you need to wave that flag high

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 28, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

baka kaba posted:

I'm talking more like, don't accept the attacks, but don't do it in a way that basically says "no that's not a real thing". Reinforce your commitment to fighting antisemitism, be assertive about pushing the message that it has no place in society in general

And I don't mean some weak arse-covering sad face statement identical to what the Tories would put out, I mean standing on that platform and pushing an unapologetic agenda of solidarity and antiracism. Like leftists are supposed to be doing anyway! I'm not saying it's a golden opportunity, but that should be the core of any response - not something that looks like guilt or trying to ignore the subject. Own it!

And actually saying we need to work on it isn't necessarily a bad thing, and you don't have to accept that framing as though improving stuff and embodying your ideals is some embarrassing concession - Labour did need to work on it, that's why Jeremy Squad overhauled the old bad system, and created the new one (which Starmer is now getting credit for). But that's positive action that, again, should have been pushed as important and necessary work in the fight against antisemitism, and turned into a strength, something to be proud of. H...hell yeah we're anti-racist enough

but instead you get a situation where the Tom Watsons get to loudly proclaim nothing's being done and he's personally stepping in to make sure cases are dealt with, the people who ran the old regime go on panorama and :qq: about how bad it was and how Jereemy Crobon was responsible, and Kier Starmer gets to walk into his office on the first day and get handshakes and congratulations for fixing everything

A hostile media doesn't mean the message would have necessarily got out there and made all these shenanigans impossible, but you have to at least try. Not just because you think it will benefit you - doing this stuff is important and you need to set an example, you need to wave that flag high

Isn't this exactly what labour tried to do? What do you think they should have done differently? (not in an aggressive way, genuinely curious)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Miftan posted:

Isn't this exactly what labour tried to do? What do you think they should have done differently? (not in an aggressive way, genuinely curious)

I feel like the approach was very Corbyny, where he was never a firebrand (outside of rallies) and kind of quietly did the right thing and hoped people would act in good faith, or at least refused to make it a divisive struggle. So that narrative was left up for grabs

I guess the Chris Williamson thing was the best example - he was basically saying the same thing (I think), that Labour had to be more assertive about the action it was taking, push a strong and positive antiracism message instead of being shifty and defensive which helps nobody

But it was a screwup because that wasn't the party line - if they'd been pushing this message it wouldn't have been out of place at all. Instead it was the kind of thing that could be secretly filmed and EXPOSED in the tabloids because it was so out of step with the official stance. It was made to look seedy and shameful, and that's what I mean really - if you own it and proudly support your own convictions, they can't be used against you like that

maybe it's another example of how Corbyn's conciliatory approach just didn't work out - we need more leftists banging the table

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 28, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been reading up on these new cycling regulations and despite cycling organisations being pretty positive about them they seem pretty rubbish to me. Giving local residents the power to decide whether side streets can be closed to priorities bikes just seems like it's going to end up with nimbys deciding that they won't be (and anyway, we need networks that won't necessarily directly benefit the people who actually live on them, see the death of a cycling route through Kensington).

Also, new rules that cycle lanes must be segregated from traffic probably means that less will be built. I dunno, maybe I'm being too cynical on this. Any people with transport planning insight got an opinion?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been reading up on these new cycling regulations and despite cycling organisations being pretty positive about them they seem pretty rubbish to me. Giving local residents the power to decide whether side streets can be closed to priorities bikes just seems like it's going to end up with nimbys deciding that they won't be (and anyway, we need networks that won't necessarily directly benefit the people who actually live on them, see the death of a cycling route through Kensington).

Also, new rules that cycle lanes must be segregated from traffic probably means that less will be built. I dunno, maybe I'm being too cynical on this. Any people with transport planning insight got an opinion?

I live in the land of chocolate bicycles, does that count?

I had a similar reaction when I saw this, based also on tweets I saw yesterday of people destroying planters that were blocking a rat-run (complete with angry drivers commenting that there's no such thing as rat-runs, just roads which are by definition for cars)

You're right, it is susceptible to NIMBYism - see also this article about how angry motorists are a minority pretending to be a silent majority.

But on top of that, I'd say this is something that needs to be handled at the national level, not letting people make it up locally. Like you say with segregation = harder = :effort:, you need a national plan to "we are building X million miles of segregated cycle lanes, no objections", not just a guideline to follow if the council fancies. It needs to be completely joined up for the magic to happen, for normal people to get on bikes instead of cars, thereby actually reducing the car traffic.

And also, all of this seems to focus on cycleways within towns/cities - I never hear anything about segregated cycle paths connecting places. That's the beauty of it here, I know without checking that I could cycle to Delft or Maastricht without going on a dangerous road, limited only by the power of my legs. A lot of shorter car journeys between villages/towns could be replaced by (e)bikes if there were safe routes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd have thought this government would be more: "compulsory helmets, insurance and registration for all cyclists!" in order to boost their appeal among grumpy old cyclist-haters.

There's probably some catch in the small print.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got really narked off during the last election when Emma Dent Coad insisted doorknockers had to support her position opposing cycle lanes as Kensington residents are implacably opposed to them. Left a bad taste in my mouth pretending I agreed with that.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I used to get all sorts of emails about 'lycra clad lunatics' at my old workplace with a national cycle route through the middle of it, almost entirely from dog owners.

Some cyclists did zoom down the shared path at about 35mph, but some dog owners didn't pick up their dog poo poo, so I never did anything.

That's my story. Bye.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ratjaculation posted:

I used to get all sorts of emails about 'lycra clad lunatics' at my old workplace with a national cycle route through the middle of it, almost entirely from dog owners.

Some cyclists did zoom down the shared path at about 35mph, but some dog owners didn't pick up their dog poo poo, so I never did anything.

That's my story. Bye.

Where I walk my dog is a fairly popular biking trail for "speed runs" and there's one bit, about twenty yards long, that was a squeeze pre-social distancing and is now very much one-in, one-out. The speed cyclists loving HATE if you're on that bit (one called my dad a oval office a few weeks ago, for being on foot on the footpath) because if they have to wait it totally fucks their time with half the track still to go, so they tend to just ride at you and force you into the hedge. Anyway my dog laid an enormous turd right there yesterday and as I was rummaging in my pocket for a bag a cyclist came the other way, shouted "look out" and made no attempt at all to slow down. As I jumped backwards into the hedge he rode right into the big pile of poo poo and sprayed it all over his legs and bike. He was really cross but I was literally crying with laughter so he gave up trying to shout at me and went. I'm laughing now just thinking about it.

And that's my story.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Quibilah1/status/1287822161323974656

Weird how this issue only ever goes one way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yup, looks like it's true.

They've rolled it completely into an LGBT issues page which has replaced the T with

quote:

People with Gender Dysphoria or those who have children with Gender Dysphoria should contact their GP as a first course of action.

Information about Gender Dysphoria from the NHS, and further links, are available at the NHS website.

Time to complain.

Ratjaculation posted:

That's my story. Bye.
Allow dogs to zoom down the path in lycra and cyclists to poo poo on it imo

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'd have thought this government would be more: "compulsory helmets, insurance and registration for all cyclists!" in order to boost their appeal among grumpy old cyclist-haters.

There's probably some catch in the small print.

What is up with cyclists and helmets?
When I was a kid the idea was "if you even want to look at a helmet, you must wear a helmet."
Nowadays I see tons of cyclists with no helmets. I guess they aren't legally required, but doesn't it just make sense to wear a helmet if you are going to be riding about?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I know we only just talked about dog poo poo, but living in a rural area I'm sick of seeing people who bag up poo poo then throw it in a tree. If you're in the countryside I'd rather people just left it than put it in a plastic bag and chucked it in a hedge

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The Question IRL posted:

When I was a kid the idea was "if you even want to look at a helmet, you must wear a helmet."
Nowadays I see tons of cyclists with no helmets. I guess they aren't legally required, but doesn't it just make sense to wear a helmet if you are going to be riding about?

It’s goddamned crazy.

I’ll admit I’m somewhat biased (suffered life-changing head injuries from a bike accident when I was 20), but you’re travelling at up to 30mph on a machine that wants to fall over and with no physical protection from the outside world. Why the hell /wouldn’t/ you want to wear a helmet?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

helmets make them less safe

yes this is an actual argument I've seen in previous cyclist arguments in these threads

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

It's one of those individual health/public health type things. From an individual perspective, wearing a helmet makes good sense. From a public health perspective, helmet laws may be ineffective and factor into competing public health benefits on increasing cycling rates and lowering vehicle emissions vs. protecting individual cyclists.

And every time it comes up itt it results in a bunch of people arguing past one another on the individual/public health arguments, which is bad.

More cycle awareness campaigns for motorists and more dedicated cycle lanes is the correct public health choice, helmetchat regardless.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

What does this mean? Is it a sex thing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't get why people hate cycle lanes, they mean you don't have to worry about cyclists being in the road.

Segregated ones even better, you don't have to worry about the more unstable looking ones flying off into the road either.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I don't get why people hate cycle lanes, they mean you don't have to worry about cyclists being in the road.

Obstructs my ability to poo poo where I choose, as enshrined in the Right to Loaf

quote:

Segregated ones even better,

:hmmyes:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Segregated ones even better, you don't have to worry about the more unstable looking ones flying off into the road either.

That space could be used for cars :bahgawd:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sinky posted:

That space could be used for cars :bahgawd:

Only if you want an extremely cramped 3 lane road where you're driving in the gutter, is the thing.

It can be used for cars when there aren't people cycling in it. Also the space not occupied by cars because people are cycling, can be used for cars.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

I would recommend that everyone takes the time to complain if they can. It's transphobia, pure and simple.

I sent my own complaint a couple of weeks ago and have received nothing but a 'sorry we haven't got back to you yet, we're dealing with a high volume etc. etc.' I'm surprised they even sent anything to the BBC Pride network as their strategy seemed to be just to spin their wheels and be cowards about the whole affair. I'm hopeful a high volume of complaints might have some affect, but also this:

Gonzo McFee posted:

Weird how this issue only ever goes one way.

I feel so powerless in the face of the UK's rampant transphobia. I have trans friends who are seriously considering emigrating over it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I commute on the separate bike cycleway down farringdon past ludgate circus which is cool and has its own set of lights. the fat business dads in lycra on their £3000 ribble bikes still dont use it though and prefer to tear down the normal road and kick the sides of buses.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

justcola posted:

I know we only just talked about dog poo poo, but living in a rural area I'm sick of seeing people who bag up poo poo then throw it in a tree. If you're in the countryside I'd rather people just left it than put it in a plastic bag and chucked it in a hedge

As a former countryside dweller I've had to explain to my city wife that there is poo poo everywhere the in the countryside anyway and the trick is just to get the dog to poo poo in a bush.

The compulsion to pick up a poo poo and then tie it to a branch is the most baffling thing ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess you're maybe stopping the next dog coming along and finding it and deciding to roll around in it, but they prefer to do that with fox turds anyway.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

As a former countryside dweller I've had to explain to my city wife that there is poo poo everywhere the in the countryside anyway and the trick is just to get the dog to poo poo in a bush.

The compulsion to pick up a poo poo and then tie it to a branch is the most baffling thing ever.

Yeah who the gently caress does that?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jippa posted:

off-come-dens who block country roads with their 4x4s so they can do instagram stories about nature vibes whilst they throw bags of dogshit into brambles and dress like they're going up K2 to walk across a field.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

gently caress me the thread is lapping itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always wear a helmet when I'm doing nitrous in a tree while making GBS threads in a roast beef Monster Munch bag, it's good sense because otherwise I might fall out and never get to own a boat.