Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

Need.... link, pronto.

Have a roberts:

e: never mind. I just checked the RLM thread (No loving way I am doing twitter). https://medium.com/@WilliamShatner/the-toxic-empires-of-egoligarchies-e4b38e697726?source=social.tw

Yeah it’s all on the RLM thread. Literally thousands of people have tried to talk sense into him. It’s loving wild.

I usually don’t pay attention to Twitter, but this is just hilarious, it’s like a microcosm of the year 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Trilobite posted:

Also, as revealed in an earlier interview, Chris's biggest frustration as a manager is that sometimes when he tells a so-called "expert" to do something, that person gives him a long list of reasons why "it can't be done." And obviously, the only reason they keep saying that to him is because they don't know as much as he does and just want to tell him no, when they should be carefully watching his hands move around as he explains what he wants and then going and making it happen.

That's why he's taken the novel approach to game development of only having employees who won't tell him that things can't be done. It solves half of the problem, and if they would just stop failing to do the things all the experts said couldn't be done, the other half would be solved, too!

“That is someone who has their preconceived notions and will settle for something that isn't good enough. The first and the third-person, there were a lot of people on the team who said that you cannot do it. They said it wasn't possible. Illfonic [the contractor building Star Marine] said the same thing. The same with the character stuff: I said we need to do it. And the inventory… it happens right now in [version] 2.4. You can put jackets and trousers on, and caps. There's layering with the armour. So everything that that person told you that couldn't happen, it's all in the game now and it's all at the quality [I asked for]. We've got as good or better than what 1886 has.

“That is an example of people saying 'No, I can't do it' and fighting that corner. They are the people I don't get on with and they are the people who end up not being at the company… If I was going to be clichéd, if it was an American person I'd say I want an Ameri-can, not an Ameri-can't. I want someone who tries [...] because we absolutely can do it. We’re trying to do something that has the fidelity that you see in The Order, or has the fidelity you see in a first-person shooter but has multiplayer online and this huge universe and I absolutely, to the very fibre of my being, know it can happen.

“It's not easy. I think the difference between a great game and an okay game is people that try to do the hard things. It's the JFK speech about going to the moon: We do it because it's hard, not because it's easy. That's what I expect from the team and if the pushback is 'Well, I didn't do this when I was working at this other company', then, well, here we're trying to push it a bit more and if you can't get on board then you're probably not right for the team. I'm sure that I'm not the only game creator who is in that situation occasionally.”

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

trucutru posted:

"It's gonna take a liiiitle longer"

„Well no you don't have to, but if you would have any clue about game dev you would know that 300M$ is nothing for developing two games from scratch. Development of GTA V cost 265$, marketing not even included. Rockstar started with an existing studio and a foundation (GTA IV) on which they could build on. For the scale that SC is aiming for, expect this to be a project costing well over a billion USD in the end.

Regarding the development time: GTA V took five years to develop. Now remember what I just wrote: It's building upon GTA IV. Still wondering why development of SC took 8 years already? Same goes for Ubisoft and EA by the way. Most of the code and assets in their games is used over and over again. This is why they can pump out a couple of "AAA" games per year...“
:allears:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Star Citizen fans call on CIG to post an update on Squadron 42 development progress

https://massivelyop.com/2020/07/27/star-citizen-fans-call-on-cig-to-post-an-update-on-squadron-42-development-progress/

The discussion in the games Reddit is good for Star Citizen

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/zQFPp1B.mp4

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Never stop posting. :3:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

That's the poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Anita Dickinme posted:

I took a five year break from this game back in 2015. It was a cool hangar when I uninstalled and I came back and look at it now: a whole solar system! I can’t wait to see how far it’s come in another five years!

You'll need to refine your definition of "whole" because I think the solar system is not yet fully realized.

But in 5 more years it might be. See you soon, space cowboy! :clint:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

we are making two AAA games excuses is so lame.

If you have never built anything before why would you assume that starting with two of the most complex projects at the same time is possibly a good idea. I thought it was going to be cut down into short chapters to make it playable ?

I assume all the delays are just them redoing all the chapters without pusher in them.

It's not about delivering two AAA games.

It's about making them, and you're paying for the journey in easy monthly installments or larger DLC promise-purchased.

I think they should do five or six AAA games, in a variety of different themes so their artists can pump out a ton of crazy art for people to buy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

phosdex posted:

The baffling thing to me is that I think Roberts has no charisma. The videos of him speaking and his citcon presentations are terrible. I would certainly not buy a used car from this man, much less thousand dollar spaceship jpegs. I don't understand how people can listen to him talk and think, yes this guy can do what he's talking about.

That was his charm I believe as well.

The man appeals to nerds, he has some difficulty with getting concepts across but seems to know some "tech language", he had his name on some old games from the 90's.

He was basically the perfect storm for guys like him to feel like they could trust him because he was goofy and everybody knows a goofy nerd isn't out to scam you, he's just being honest and wants to build this thing.

And really at the beginning I think he believed what he said with all his heart because he said it from and objectionably ignorant position where he really didn't understand game technology today.

And he just proved it with totally insane things from 10FTC where he promised people anything from really stupid stuff to the impossible, but it didn't matter.

I'm pretty sure the scam part came in significantly later, around the time when Sandi clocked out followed by CR himself like a year later or so here. Now they just have standing orders to keep selling junk as long as junk will sell. CR and Sandi have noped off to go live their lives doing whatever.

On a personal level for the friends and family of CR, the game was a huge success. They've got financial freedom to go do whatever dreams they want to do. Delivery of the game at this point is not even a concern, I'm pretty sure.

It's a cash cow that so long as it keeps making cash is a good cow. But once it stops producing that milky cash deliciousness, it's just gonna be taken out back and shot (or in the case of SC, released in whatever state it happens to be in at that time).

Thuorn
Jul 18, 2020

Quavers posted:

I do want Star Citizen to be good (:lol: it won't be) but is it wrong that i sometimes want SC to spectacularly fail just so i can see the meltowns of super whales like these crazies?

Its gonna be glorious! I dont think there is a game or project that has caught my attention that will deliver the pure schadenfreude spectacular that SC will. The anticipation and ever increasing crowdfunding just makes it more and more enticing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Solarin posted:

“That is someone who has their preconceived notions and will settle for something that isn't good enough. The first and the third-person, there were a lot of people on the team who said that you cannot do it. They said it wasn't possible. Illfonic [the contractor building Star Marine] said the same thing. The same with the character stuff: I said we need to do it. And the inventory… it happens right now in [version] 2.4. You can put jackets and trousers on, and caps. There's layering with the armour. So everything that that person told you that couldn't happen, it's all in the game now and it's all at the quality [I asked for]. We've got as good or better than what 1886 has.

“That is an example of people saying 'No, I can't do it' and fighting that corner. They are the people I don't get on with and they are the people who end up not being at the company… If I was going to be clichéd, if it was an American person I'd say I want an Ameri-can, not an Ameri-can't. I want someone who tries [...] because we absolutely can do it. We’re trying to do something that has the fidelity that you see in The Order, or has the fidelity you see in a first-person shooter but has multiplayer online and this huge universe and I absolutely, to the very fibre of my being, know it can happen.

“It's not easy. I think the difference between a great game and an okay game is people that try to do the hard things. It's the JFK speech about going to the moon: We do it because it's hard, not because it's easy. That's what I expect from the team and if the pushback is 'Well, I didn't do this when I was working at this other company', then, well, here we're trying to push it a bit more and if you can't get on board then you're probably not right for the team. I'm sure that I'm not the only game creator who is in that situation occasionally.”

This is why nobody with skill works there anymore. They told him why things he wants to do aren't sustainable or logical, and he either canned them or made them do it anyway.

This is why they are looking for producers who have actually made a game to try to come aboard.

And sure, some things he did get, which is great. But on the flip side of that, what was the cost?

300M, almost 9 years in, and almost every video about actually playing the game features something horribly broken unless they edit it out?

Back in the day this was supposed to be Freelancer 2 with a new coat of paint. It was supposed to be a moddable experience where a player could spin up her own server and have some fun, while there was also the official part of the game that was not modded you could also play. It was about space ships and doing space stuff.

Today their biggest news is a highly scripted bartender while the game around the bartender burns to the ground in bugs and bad design. Almost 1 star system out of the originally promised 100 or more.

I guess congrats. You really showed the experts what is possible if you have no time requirements to deliver a product and money is seemingly infinite. After nearly a decade of work for 100's of people working on it you almost have a demo. Yay. Go cig. :cheers:

Honestly I think all AAA developers should learn from cig. In your whole lifetime you might get to play like 10 games. That would be amazing.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 28, 2020

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Just caught up with the thread. Disappointed to see PC gaming decidedly unrevolutionized.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It's refreshing to see someone just come right out and say that all he needs to reinvigorate his/her (definitely his) confidence that everything is okay is for some official channel to regurgitate the tired old "justify the slow progress with some impressive-sounding technobabble" excuse yet again. At the same time, it's just as hilarious because CI¿G? is so loving checked out and clearly over this whole project that they can't even force themselves to deliver their loving excuses on time.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
What's RLM stand for?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

What's RLM stand for?

Rich evans Laughs Maniacally.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

„Well no you don't have to, but if you would have any clue about game dev you would know that 300M$ is nothing for developing two games from scratch. Development of GTA V cost 265$, marketing not even included. Rockstar started with an existing studio and a foundation (GTA IV) on which they could build on. For the scale that SC is aiming for, expect this to be a project costing well over a billion USD in the end.

Regarding the development time: GTA V took five years to develop. Now remember what I just wrote: It's building upon GTA IV. Still wondering why development of SC took 8 years already? Same goes for Ubisoft and EA by the way. Most of the code and assets in their games is used over and over again. This is why they can pump out a couple of "AAA" games per year...“
:allears:

"Well over a billion USD"

What do you think you're funding? An actual space program?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

What's RLM stand for?

Reverse Logistics Management

Switch logistics with logical and you have CIG's management style.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HiroProtagonist posted:

The astonishing thing is knowing with utter certainty that they could get that and still not have a game

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Rich evans Laughs Maniacally.

How dare he laugh at me... to the twitter!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sebmojo posted:

The astonishing thing is knowing with utter certainty that they could get that and still not have a game
Honestly if the Robertses keep it up I'm pretty sure they'll get there

and still won't have a game, ye

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

How dare he laugh at me... to the twitter!

That's not how it works. Somebody has to tweet at you saying that there is a post somewhere else where Rich said that he didn't laugh maniacally at you. Which is proof he did.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

no_recall posted:

Never stop posting. :3:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

HiroProtagonist posted:

When you get right down to it, it's this poo poo right here that really flabbergasts me about the whole endeavor. A billion dollars. One billion.

One-thousand million.

Human.

Earth.

Dollars.

Like... are you making GBS threads me? Are you actually loving making GBS threads me. Are you making GBS threads on my dick? One billion. For a game? For a loving video game. One billion dollars is "buy a sports franchise" money. That's "build a 50-story skyscraper in NYC" money. Name a country in Africa; a billion dollars could keep its entire population fed for a year at minimum. The inflation-adjusted cost of the Hoover loving Dam isn't even a billion dollars.

The sheer scope of what could be done with that amount of money is breathtaking to consider, and yet there exist people so petty in ambition as to think "a big video game about spaceships" is an undertaking worthy of all that time, money, and manpower. Why? Why are you okay with this? What on Earth made you this way? And then you see people talking about how they're prepared to settle in for a 20-year development cycle and yet somehow the subtext of these posts is optimistic rather than dawning, horrified realization.

"Let's spend a billion dollars of our own money and 20 years of our lives on making and releasing a video game that has already been bought long ago by anyone who would even be remotely interested in it," says the group of functioning adults as they make a good decision.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 28, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Well, they certainly have plenty of eager space cadets.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

The Titanic posted:

That was his charm I believe as well.

The man appeals to nerds, he has some difficulty with getting concepts across but seems to know some "tech language", he had his name on some old games from the 90's.

He was basically the perfect storm for guys like him to feel like they could trust him because he was goofy and everybody knows a goofy nerd isn't out to scam you, he's just being honest and wants to build this thing.

And really at the beginning I think he believed what he said with all his heart because he said it from and objectionably ignorant position where he really didn't understand game technology today.

And he just proved it with totally insane things from 10FTC where he promised people anything from really stupid stuff to the impossible, but it didn't matter.

I'm pretty sure the scam part came in significantly later, around the time when Sandi clocked out followed by CR himself like a year later or so here. Now they just have standing orders to keep selling junk as long as junk will sell. CR and Sandi have noped off to go live their lives doing whatever.

On a personal level for the friends and family of CR, the game was a huge success. They've got financial freedom to go do whatever dreams they want to do. Delivery of the game at this point is not even a concern, I'm pretty sure.

It's a cash cow that so long as it keeps making cash is a good cow. But once it stops producing that milky cash deliciousness, it's just gonna be taken out back and shot (or in the case of SC, released in whatever state it happens to be in at that time).

I think you are giving the guy too much credit and his sycophants. He's an idea guy, and they are idea guys. And if THIS idea guy can make it and bring his IDEA to fruition, then all is not lost.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Time_pants posted:

When you get right down to it, it's this poo poo right here that really flabbergasts me about the whole endeavor. A billion dollars. One billion.

One-thousand million.

Human.

Earth.

Dollars.

Like... are you making GBS threads me? Are you actually loving making GBS threads me. Are you making GBS threads on my dick? One billion. For a game? For a loving video game. One billion dollars is "buy a sports franchise" money. That's "build a 50-story skyscraper in NYC" money. Name a country in Africa; a billion dollars could keep its entire population fed for a year at minimum. The inflation-adjusted cost of the Hoover loving Dam isn't even a billion dollars.

The sheer scope of what could be done with that amount of money is breathtaking to consider, and yet there exist people so petty in ambition as to think "a big video game about spaceships" is an undertaking worthy of all that time, money, and manpower. Why? Why are you okay with this? What on Earth made you this way? And then you see people talking about how they're prepared to settle in for a 20-year development cycle and yet somehow the subtext of these posts is optimistic rather than dawning, horrified realization.

"Let's spend a billion dollars of our own money and 20 years of our lives on making and releasing a video game that has already been bought long ago by anyone who would even be remotely interested in it," says the group of functioning adults as they make a good decision.

The punch line is giving the money to a man who was a 100% guarantee of failure. So the dumb idea won't even be real.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
If Chris Roberts was given money to feed the hungry, more people would die of hunger that year than the previous ten years combined.

If Chris Roberts was given money to develop a vaccine, he'd develop a new strain of the disease and wipe out entire countries.

If Chris Roberts was given money to build homeless shelters, actual homes half a world away would spontaneously crumble. Also there would be no homeless shelters.

Be happy Chris Roberts is not making a game. There's a lot more harm he could be doing by not doing other things.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Time_pants posted:

One-thousand million.

Human.

Earth.

Dollars.

Nice beltdown friend, but the showroom for the Idris is this way, sir.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Slow day at the office (my living room, thanks covid!) so I've been checking the reddit and it's weird how they are soooo aware of all the lies, tricks, and BS that CIG does and yet they still keep on spending money on the drat game. Like, they know they are getting milked but are, like, resigned and poo poo.

e: spectrum is not doing much better

quote:

Scope of the SQ42 video has changed. It is now scheduled to be a trilogy. Each 3 hours long. Third film will be split into two parts. Filmed with the latest 360 camera technologies to allow you to experience the video in VR.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 28, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Timespy posted:

We have lost the technology of making forklifts in the future. A grim vision indeed.

All the forklifts were used as weapons in the 1996 space game Escape Velocity, so we are all out of them.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, and if you pay extra, they only send you the flag.

:vince:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

refunds sub posted:

Trust me I'm a time traveller. Managed to take a screenshot of the roadmap in 2027

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

What's RLM stand for?

Red Letter Media, a YouTube channel

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Red Letter Media, a YouTube channel

I'm pretty sure it's a podcast

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trucutru posted:

Whats a podcast?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

trucutru posted:

What's a podcast?

e. :argh:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

What's a podcast?

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

The Living Tombstone - Drunk

Just one ship! Gonna keep it mellow
A sensible starter for a polite fellow
Say hello to my friends and comrades
Wanna have some fun so I say perhaps
Just two ships! To show my support
We can pledge some more to build rapport
And certainly a perfectly normal crowdfunding project
But it’s been forever since it started so go for it
Just three ships! For the sake of the old times
Proceed with some merch from the RSI website
The whole nine, laughing remembering all the old games
Never really played but I could em give another try
Just four ships! Y’know, lend one for my bud.
I’ve had a hard week, I deserve a hot tub.
Pick up another one as my friends depart and
They may not stick around but I just got started.

CHORUS
Feel so much better than usual
I feel indisputable
[ohhhh]
I think that it might be beautiful

Juuuuust five ships! F***in' treat myself!
Get that Javeling from the back of the top shelf
Spend like god put on airs to sell it
Goons pretend not to care but I know they’re jealous, just
Six ships! Let slip the dogs of war!
I’m gonna keep F5ing til I crash the pledge store
8 years coming and still needing more time, I’m hitting
downvote and I’m feeling like committing a crime. Just
Eight ships! Maybe I’ve lost count?
I can’t remember the night, what I pledged, or the amount.
I’m fading in and out my credit score is crumbling.
. . . Sorry, is that a ship sale?
Twelve ships! Upping my spending total
Is it crowdfunding if you keep selling and don't stop at all?
Another night pledging more than I can afford
Was I just feeling bored? Am I that insecure?

CHORUS
I feel indisputable
[ohhhh]
But now I’m seeing it's beautiful
Don’t wake me up from this spell I’m under if I’m still spending
I know that I will be hollow when
I feel like myself again
[ohhhh]

BRIDGE
Idris, Pioneer, Polaris and a Reclaimer
Hammerhead, Hull E, Orion and a Starliner
Hercules, Starfarer, Crucible, Endeavor
Valkyrie, Eclipse, Glaive and a Vindicator
Freelancer, Terrapin, Merchantman, Prospector
Hurricane, Avenger, Prowler and a Gladiator
Aurora, Merlin, Vanguard Warden
Gladius and others I can't fly cuz they're broken

Soldiering over I’m partrolling the comment section
Defending deflecting making friends on the Spectrum
I know I’m projecting, I'm not quite all there
Then someone posts a shop of Chris on a bear
Try to look at reddit and I can't believe what I'm seeing
A billion trillion goons are posting with the mods agreeing
Spending college funds while I’m losing my friends
I’m gonna hate myself tomorrow then I’ll do it again

CHORUS
I feel indisputable
[ohhhh]
Don’t wake me up from this spell I’m under if I’m still spending
I know that I will be hollow when
I feel like myself again
[ohhhh]
My account is empty
As long as I’m pledging
Nobody can hurt me hurt me hurt me

iron buns fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mr.PayDay posted:

Star Citizen fans call on CIG to post an update on Squadron 42 development progress

https://massivelyop.com/2020/07/27/star-citizen-fans-call-on-cig-to-post-an-update-on-squadron-42-development-progress/

The discussion in the games Reddit is good for Star Citizen
It's leaking
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/07/even-star-citizen-fans-are-getting-lovely-about-squadron-42/

quote:

Star Citizen fans might possibly be the most patient group of humans in the universe. Not only have they tolerated one of the longest and loudest development cycles for a game in history, they’ve continually poured out their wallets to make the space epic’s feature creep a reality, making Star Citizen the most expensive game in history.

But even the diehard have their limits.