Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

psudonym55 posted:

Orc, Kobold,Tengu, Catfolk, Ratfolk, Tiefling, Aasimar, Dhampir, Changling and Duskwalker are in the APG.
Of those listed as far as I am aware Tiefling, Aasimar, Dhampir, Changling and Duskwalker are versatile heritages meaning they can be applied to any ancestry so all your Aasimar, Tieflings etc don't have to be just human anymore.

How's that work in Society play?
I've got a friend I've been trying to rope into playing, and she likes Tieflings, but I dunno if she'd be willing to have to jump through hoops as something else just to unlock a Boon to play the character she actually wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

the_steve posted:

How's that work in Society play?
I've got a friend I've been trying to rope into playing, and she likes Tieflings, but I dunno if she'd be willing to have to jump through hoops as something else just to unlock a Boon to play the character she actually wants.

I'm told the boons are cheaper than their 1e equivalents? But she'd still have to run a different character for a bit to get it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cyouni posted:

I'm told the boons are cheaper than their 1e equivalents? But she'd still have to run a different character for a bit to get it.

:negative:
That's lame. Tieflings have been around long enough they really shouldn't be gated at this point.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

super sweet best pal posted:

So basically we'd be able to make a character that's half kobold, half angel?

That seems to be the idea of doing it that way.

As for Society play I have no idea. I've never touched Society play in 1st or 2nd edition.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

the_steve posted:

:negative:
That's lame. Tieflings have been around long enough they really shouldn't be gated at this point.

I quickly checked to make sure.

quote:

All ancestry and versatile heritage options, other than kobolds, are of standard availability. As the catfolk, orc, ratfolk, and tengu ancestries and the aasimar, changeling, dhampir, duskwalker, and tiefling versatile heritages are uncommon, this means they are limited to boon access through Chronicle Sheets or the Achievement Point system (See Uncommon Ancestries above). Orc feats can continue to be taken by half-orc characters who meet the prerequisites or access requirements, as normal.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, I read that too, and that's where I got confused because the first sentence says "ALL the stuff is available except kobolds" and then the second sentence says otherwise, with an addendum up top saying Kobolds are actually good to go, so my heat-addled brain was getting mixed signals.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
"Standard availability" is defined earlier in the post.

quote:

Standard: These options follow the standard rules as printed in their respective sourcebooks. If a character wants to take this option, they must meet all its prerequisites as usual. If the option is uncommon or rarer, they must also have access to the option. Characters can gain access in a variety of ways. They can gain access by virtue of their origin, religion, or their membership in certain organizations (see below sections). Selecting certain common character options can give you access to other, rarer ones; for instance, a gnome who takes the Gnome Weapon Familiarity ancestry feat gains access to uncommon gnome weapons. Specific boons—such as from the Achievement Points system or Chronicle Sheets—can also grant access to these options.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Speaking of 2e, does anyone have strong arguments for or against Fall of Plaguestone given the roll20 discount with the humble bundle? I'm pretty sure I have a lot more roll20 in my future given the way the US's COVID response has gone...

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Elysiume posted:

Speaking of 2e, does anyone have strong arguments for or against Fall of Plaguestone given the roll20 discount with the humble bundle? I'm pretty sure I have a lot more roll20 in my future given the way the US's COVID response has gone...

Strong arguments not really. It's not hugely good or bad I think.
The first part is a fairly standard boring investigation but the rest of it is fine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Red Metal posted:

"Standard availability" is defined earlier in the post.

Of course none of this really applies to just like...normal "Getting together with your friends to play" style play and you can just make character of an uncommon ancestries from the start.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Stuff from early APG copies leaking and oh my god they gave monk a one inch punch that lets them knock enemies back like 20 feet and a ki spell that makes them go Super Saiyan

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Stuff from early APG copies leaking and oh my god they gave monk a one inch punch that lets them knock enemies back like 20 feet and a ki spell that makes them go Super Saiyan

hell yeah

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Now they just need, like, five other ki spells with increasingly elaborate names and palette-swapped slightly better bonuses.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

That's awesome. I'm glad we're getting Bruce Lee punches.

The people in charge of Monk should be tasked to marathon old kung-fu movies and read wuxia novels. Martial artists in D&D clones lag way behind their portrayal in the fantasy genre.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Speaking of that, Medusa's Wrath is also a ki spell now, which lets you actually petrify people, and the Martial Artist can dash through people and attack up to three of them.

Eldritch Trickster Racket seems to let you do some interesting things, with an instant multiclass caster dedication, Magical Striker as a second level feat, and the ability to make your key ability score the casting stat. Eldritch Archer being a 6th level archetype that lets you attach a 1- or 2-action spell to an arrow for an additional action. (It can also increase its spellcasting with the standard feats.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty much everything in this book is Cool poo poo. I don't know how this Cool poo poo will hold up in practice - though 2e's been good at that so far - but it is, at least, Cool poo poo.

The Medic archetype lets you raise dead with Medicine!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What they should do is give monks the opportunity to buy or find scrolls with moves and then learn them as a downtime action.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I personally am quite interested in the medic. It's cool that they have been making it possible to have a party that doesn't have a magic healer in it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Proud Rat Mom posted:

2e is good. If you have run 5th or pf1e for some time, u will appreciate how engaging the core gameplay is.

Can attest to this. My group is almost halfway through the 4th book of Age of Ashes now (around lvl 13) and this is the first adventure path in which they've managed to follow and be engaged by the story and not grow fully bored of their characters by around this level. And I don't think the writing in Age of Ashes is particularly better than the other adventure paths we've played, nor do I think me becoming a bit more experienced as a GM is responsible for the difference.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Fallorn posted:

How do people like pathfinder 2e overall?

Game rules and I am extremely sad Covid has derailed my in person Pathfinder group. One day it will return :unsmith:

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Quick question on 2e from a new player.

My buddies and I just started a roll20 game and I've decided to roll a fairly basic human cleric warpriest of Gorum. Regarding ability points, if my goal is to be getting into melee with my greatsword, while still putting a few points into charisma for more heal slots, I only have 1 point between either dex or con if I take 16 in str and wis. Which would serve better for survivability? With the point in dex, my AC is 17 and HP is 17 through picking up Toughness.

qwewq fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 22, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

qwewq posted:

My buddies and I just started a roll20 game and I've decided to roll a fairly basic human cleric warpriest of Gorum. Regarding ability points, if my goal is to be getting into melee with my greatsword, while still putting a few points into charisma for more heal slots, I only have 1 point between either dex or con if I take 16 in str and wis. Which would serve better for survivability? With the point in dex, my AC is 17 and HP is 17 through picking up Toughness.

I don't know the exact math, but I'd probably go dex as it also decreases your chance to be crit.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

qwewq posted:

I don't think that 1 point will ever matter, honestly. It used to matter for later feat selection, like some feats had Dex 13 requirements, but now it looks like feat requirements are all even numbers. Do whatever you want with it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

qwewq posted:

As a note: you only need 12 dex with medium armor and 16+ strength to stay basically AC capped. I'd recommend con though since the extra hp works against any type of incoming damage, while dex only works against AC and ref based attacks. Con save stuff also tends to be stickier and harder to remove at lower levels, like poisons and diseases which can drain your stats. Damage effects are removed with Heal or Treat Wounds which you get at first level.

Whichever you pick, you'll probably want to backfill the other one at 10 after you wisdom is 18 from the level 5 boost.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

qwewq posted:

With what you've listed I'd pick Dex. Toughness is filling out your HP a little, and they're both save stats. The extra AC will probably also help you a little more than the extra HP, especially at low levels.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
One major thing to keep in mind there is that there are much harder caps on Dex to AC in armor than 1e, and stat benefits from level-ups are much more generous, so for an armored character you should pretty much just hit to aim the armor cap with Dex and not increase it past that.

On the other hand, since there's no exponential point-buy optimization, you can just bump whichever stat you didn't increase now later without needing to worry much about it in advance, as long as you're not getting into wacky business like making a heavy armormans with Dex 18 at level 1.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Cheers, thanks!

I've been told to prepare a circus trick, I think that's Extinction Curse?

I'm thinking a audience challenging act a la Bonesaw from Raimi Spiderman, with a backup of fighting a multitude of clowns if a suitable contender isn't found. Hopefully even buffoonish combat appeals to Gorum.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So I got my copy of the first Agents of Edgewatch adventure, and, well:

quote:

The Edgewatch is a crucial part of Absalom’s plan for hosting the Radiant Festival in the still-perilous Precipice Quarter, but as with every aspect of the fair, the city has had to cut corners in order to fund the festival committee’s overly ambitious plans. In order to fill out the Edgewatch’s ranks, the GrandCouncil has adopted an unusual solution: for the duration of the festival, Edgewatch guards will operate as the police version of privateers.

Each guard theoretically receives a modest stipend, but in practice only the top brass see any real compensation; the rank-and-file watch members’ wages are automatically garnished by the city to pay for food, training, uniforms, and lodging in the station’s barracks (regardless of whether the officers actually choose to stay there). The guards’ only actual means of earning liquid cash is by requisitioning possessions and money from any criminals they catch breaking major laws—no trial required. All findings are to be meticulously catalogued so as to prevent abuse of power, and any confiscated goods with identifiable owners must be returned. Absalom’s Grand Council insists that once the festival is over it will revise the budget and convert the Edgewatch to a normal pay structure. In the meantime, the public tolerates the guards’ summary justice, preferring it to the anarchy of an under-policed city.

Woof. It's basically an excuse to let the PCs continue looting just like regular adventurers (and throughout the adventure, there are cases where citizens will slip money into the PCs pockets, or allow them to loot certain areas as long as they resolve the problem there). But mercenary cops lining their pockets from the crooks they bust is not a good look.

That said, it's not too hard to throw out that aspect and find another way to let your PCs get the magic loot they need (issued from headquarters, gifts from grateful festival organizers, etc.). And on a first read-through, the adventure does seem reasonable about letting the PCs find nonviolent solutions in many cases, although there are some points where you'll have to resort to fighting -- this is still Pathfinder, after all.

Honestly, besides those paragraphs above, my biggest objection is that the title of the adventure will give everything away if the players are paying attention.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"Identifiable owners" is a hell of a phrase for perverse incentives.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
mmm, yes, gonna go out and requisition me a +1 sword

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leraika posted:

mmm, yes, gonna go out and requisition me a +1 sword

plenty of boogaloos out there to "proceeds of crime" one off of, yep

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Selachian posted:

In the meantime, the public tolerates the guards’ summary justice, preferring it to the anarchy of an under-policed city.

That's a bit of a yikes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Having just learned about the game Gothic yesterday I feel like we can see where this is going.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wow, the guards pay themselves using civil forefeiture? Whateverthefuck could POSSIBLY go wrong with that holy poo poo Paizo.

The anarchy of an under-policed city?!

This was... definitely written in 2010s America.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

thespaceinvader posted:

Wow, the guards pay themselves using civil forefeiture? Whateverthefuck could POSSIBLY go wrong with that holy poo poo Paizo.

The anarchy of an under-policed city?!

This was... definitely written in 2010s America.

Yeah. Yikes. If ever there were an AP to do automatically improving bonuses and just a set guard's salary, this would be it. Yeesh.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is this where can discuss Starfinder? Cause apparently Starfinder's getting mechs and uuuuuhhhhh

https://twitter.com/KaiTave/status/1287976496322158592

On a Pathfinder note: which adventure path is the current suggested one for people new to Pathfinder (either edition)? Sort of a Lost Mines of Phandelver but for Pathfinder.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Is this where can discuss Starfinder? Cause apparently Starfinder's getting mechs and uuuuuhhhhh

On a Pathfinder note: which adventure path is the current suggested one for people new to Pathfinder (either edition)? Sort of a Lost Mines of Phandelver but for Pathfinder.

For 1e start with the revised and compiled Rise of the Runelords. For 2e probably Age of Ashes. Pathfinder rotates between one standard and one weird adventure path, so for 2e your options are Age of Ashes (ancient magic, dragons, standard); Extinction Curse (circuses and dinosaurs, weird), and Agents of Edgewatch (play city police, was supposed to be standard but is really really awkward to play with everything going on right now).

If you haven't played either, 2e is the much better edition to get into for new players.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

canepazzo posted:

Why is there suddenly vomit pouring out of my mouth?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For 2E, a lot of people are using Fall of Plaguestone as an intro adventure -- I haven't played it myself but I understand that like Age of Ashes, it has some difficulty issues because it was being written as the rules were being finalized.

Also, a lot of the PFS adventures for 2E (the "Year of the Open Road" season) are pretty good, like The Flooded King's Court and Tarnbreaker's Trail. You can get some of them in the current PF2 Humble Bundle, which is running for another week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Why not just have different rules/stats for mech vs mech and mech vs unmeched characters like they did with the fire plane whales in the sun campaign?