Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't joke about that! In a former life, one of my jobs was sort of managing a large vacant site (in Jezza's constituency no less).

My employers (a national organisation) always gave contracts to the lowest bidders regardless of ability to do the job. The site was a security nightmare with many buildings, grounds etc on it and I wanted a really good security firm to manage it. But sadly their tender price was over twice that of the winning tender which was presented by essentially a poo poo show and sadly, I was at that level in the organisation which was all responsibility and no say.

After loads of other issues with the site security (including one of the security guards climbing to the roof of a multi-storey block on the site and threatening to jump off because his wife had left him or some such, one of the problems was kids riding the grounds on bikes after dark. So one or more security guards fitted up garotte wires between various trees and sets of railings at approx kid-neck-height at various points around the grounds. VERY fortunately, someone else reported these to us before anyone got hurt/killed.

At that point, my employers finally agreed that we did indeed need a decent and expensive security firm on the job, and there were no more problems.
It's one of those things that reached urban legend status in South Africa decades ago too, apparently it was being used by gangs to steal convertibles, which had become fashionable.

Despite the windscreen being in the way. And that it'd result in a corpse slumped on the accelerator and probably crash more than anything. And that there were far easier ways to hijack a vehicle, like pointing a gun at the occupant, which is what hijackers actually did.

As with most urban legend things someone somewhere probably tried it though. Budget security guards are the exact mix of petty and vindictive to be a good fit for that someone.

e: Studio 338 is a club in London.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Funnily a cyclist told me last week about people setting wire traps on cycle trails. Apparently "at shin height" which I don't know how that would work given the front wheel is in the way.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They were doing that in the peaks around here too. Digging pits and setting spiked logs with nails as booby traps. People are poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Think we missed this from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/mirrorpolitics/status/1287853433689702408?s=21

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nick Thomas-Symonds is Priti Patel and I claim my £5.

I'm still on my twitter break but I have opened a different browser window so I can read the tweets people are posting but not signed in so I can't reply (thank goodness!) - blood pressure still benefitting :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Funnily a cyclist told me last week about people setting wire traps on cycle trails. Apparently "at shin height" which I don't know how that would work given the front wheel is in the way.
Seems like there was a case of it happening in South Africa with cyclists a couple years back, but it's an isolated incident but part of a larger thing with disgruntled hikers and cyclists trying to intimidate one another over use of a trail.

Urban legend still alive though with the guy going "no, hikers would never do such a thing, it's the robbers, they're beheading people halfway up a mountain to steal your bike because that's how people steal bikes in South Africa!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That reminds me of a thing, possibly an urban legend in itself, where drug dealers heard the urban legend that they throw a pair of shoes over the telephone wire to communicate about drugs, and went "do we? Better start then!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure how communicative a pair of shoes on a telephone line can be. Unless the laces are conductive and you put a wiretap in the soles.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mebh posted:

They were doing that in the peaks around here too. Digging pits and setting spiked logs with nails as booby traps. People are poo poo.

Why are the Viet Cong trying to drive the western imperialists out of the Peaks? :thunk:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jose posted:

vote for corbyn as MP of the year to rile people up lol. i think the site is currently getting hammered

https://twitter.com/UKPatchwork/status/1287782219512250369?s=20

Turns out that when you type 'je' into the search field and click without really looking, you might almost vote for Jess Phillips by accident.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thought Jess Phillips begins with I.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Thought Jess Phillips begins with I.

:lol:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what a massive oval office

https://twitter.com/JVoiceLabour/status/1288116374871539712?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Much as I'm not in the Labour party anymore, and am no fan of Sir Haircut, I really think this Ware person is trying to tie all leftish labour members and supporters up in knots of suing for libel especially with that additional bunch of sewers (intentional mis-spelling) who basically said 'expel Corbyn and this all goes away' so therefore not actually having any genuine fears for 'reputational damage'.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Why are the Viet Cong trying to drive the western imperialists out of the Peaks? :thunk:

Well it's not so much Viet Cong as it is Viet crap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guess we now know what the next thing that the Tories want to leave after the EU is.

I like the high bar set of "there are some functioning democracies".

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

When I was a kid I tried digging a spike pit in some woods. It was nearly 6 inches deep and the spikes were made from twigs pushed into the ground, then when I covered it up with little branches and leaves it very gently collapsed onto the spikes, knocking them down. In effect I had made a sort of ground pillow that would have been softer to fall on top of that the ground around it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Definitely went arse-over-tip on my bmx from a wire that was taut enough to turn the wheel when I was young.

Drivers gripes: why do fuckers never ever indicate here. Is it not a law? Just swing around the corner and maybe switch it in when you see me and my toddler halfway across. Maybe it's a Kent thing i dunno

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I glanced through the article and the headline-baiting quote aside, nothing he says is particularly offensive.

quote:

“I have supported tougher sentences on various crimes and I am always willing to look at that for the deterrent effect.
“But we can’t lose sight of prevention. That’s about a properly resourced violent crime strategy and those prevention services that have been undermined in the past 10 years.”

Refusing to say that the police are institutionally racist isn't great, but hardly a novel position if you're trying to persuade people that you take crime seriously.
Likewise, he basically states that Labour will decide how they feel about immigration once Brexit's hosed everything up. Which is craven, sure, but given no-one's paying any attention to Labour at the moment, I doubt it matters.

/\ /\ /\
It's definitely not just a Kent thing. Mini-roundabouts seem to be the worst places for it - it gets on my nerves if I'm waiting to cross safely (on foot) and I have no way of knowing what the driver approaching is going to do.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Guess we now know what the next thing that the Tories want to leave after the EU is.

I like the high bar set of "there are some functioning democracies".

*in that they hold elections, for the most part, occasionally even without arresting the opposition (not always though)

IMO it deserves partial quoting for how bonkers it is:

ConservativeWoman.com posted:

‘OUR asylum system is in chaos’; ‘the current system encourages illegality’. No, not direct quotes from politicians today but extracts from the Conservative Party’s 2005 General Election manifesto. It continued: ‘On asylum, a Conservative government will not allow outdated and inflexible rules to prevent us shaping a system which is more humane, more likely to improve community relations and better managed.’ It explicitly promised: ‘We will take national control of asylum policy (and) withdraw from the 1951 Geneva Convention.’

The Tories lost the election but such statements were unlikely to have been major factors in the electorate opting once again for a Blair-led Labour government. Yet, as Britain continues to be invaded by sea, there has been no public recognition by politicians, Mr Farage included, that it is outdated and inflexible treaties which are the underlying cause.

The 1951 Refugee Convention was meant to deal with the situation in Europe after World War II. There was a single UN High Commissioner for Refugees rather than a Commission as the expectation was that after a few years he would be practically redundant. Even after the UK signed the 1967 Protocol which turned the Convention into a worldwide instrument, numbers seeking asylum here were small. Two events in particular led to their swelling from around 1990 onwards.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Chubby Henparty posted:

Definitely went arse-over-tip on my bmx from a wire that was taut enough to turn the wheel when I was young.

Drivers gripes: why do fuckers never ever indicate here. Is it not a law? Just swing around the corner and maybe switch it in when you see me and my toddler halfway across. Maybe it's a Kent thing i dunno

Yeah those kinda drivers are Kents alright

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a lot of people don't use the indicators when they don't think it's relevant to other cars, forgetting that there are other people who rely on your use of them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They can get their bloody own, these are mine.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The indicator is a magical device that causes anything in your path to teleport away. However its reserve of power is very limited, so it must not be used until a split second before you turn.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Party Boat posted:

The indicator is a magical device that causes anything in your path to teleport away. However its reserve of power is very limited, so it must not be used until a split second before you turn.

I've also noticed that like the trend towards building more laptops without optical drives, there's a similar trend with expensive cars and indicator lights. Audi seems to particularly keen on building their cars without them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

kingturnip posted:

Refusing to say that the police are institutionally racist isn't great, but hardly a novel position if you're trying to persuade people that you take crime seriously.

We shouldn't be trying to persuade people we're taking crime seriously, whatever that means. We should be trying to persuade people that crime is caused, directly and provably, by peoples' material circumstances, and will be reduced by improving peoples' material circumstances.

But then, we are not Labour, any more. At least, I'm not.

Private Speech posted:

*in that they hold elections, for the most part, occasionally even without arresting the opposition (not always though)

IMO it deserves partial quoting for how bonkers it is:

Hahahahahahaaaaaaa fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

(Have we actually beaten trump to something at this point?)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Soylent Yellow posted:

I've also noticed that like the trend towards building more laptops without optical drives, there's a similar trend with expensive cars and indicator lights. Audi seems to particularly keen on building their cars without them.

They clearly know that the cunts who drive their cars never use them anyway

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

radmonger posted:

Being fake isn’t some kind of weird superpower, an ‘I win all arguments’ button.

For example there are a whole bunch of fake narratives about 5G and masks that would , if accepted, thoroughly undermine any claim of a government apparently handling Coronavirus successfully. Nevertheless, you will find the NZ Labour Party in government, and polling over 60%.

What they don’t have is a position that is immune to being lied about. What they do have is enough party unity that any intra-faction fights don’t have the losing side going to the media and asking ‘If you agree to publish my article about how the other faction is bad, what else do you want me to say?’

Being fake has been shown to be an absolutely incredibly successful attack against both leftists and centrists. When you are up against someone who, not only cares about the truth, but thinks that there is a rational approach to defeating lies, you will crush them every time with an unending stream of mistruth, when you have enough money behind it. It takes time and resources to respond, has very little impact, and they can manufacture the next narrative before you've finished responding to the first time. You're wrapped on the defensive whilst they are constantly on the attack. It's a siege situation, basically. The Left only makes advances when it attacks but we've been fighting a rearguard action for 40 years with the illusion that someday "demographics" will save us. If the electoral rules ever DO favour the left, due to demographics, then they will simply change the rules. Oh hey, that's already happening.

I'm not sure what your point is about NZ Labour?

Party unity is important. Corbyn should have purged the wreckers.

baka kaba posted:

I'm talking more like, don't accept the attacks, but don't do it in a way that basically says "no that's not a real thing". Reinforce your commitment to fighting antisemitism, be assertive about pushing the message that it has no place in society in general

And I don't mean some weak arse-covering sad face statement identical to what the Tories would put out, I mean standing on that platform and pushing an unapologetic agenda of solidarity and antiracism. Like leftists are supposed to be doing anyway! I'm not saying it's a golden opportunity, but that should be the core of any response - not something that looks like guilt or trying to ignore the subject. Own it!

And actually saying we need to work on it isn't necessarily a bad thing, and you don't have to accept that framing as though improving stuff and embodying your ideals is some embarrassing concession - Labour did need to work on it, that's why Jeremy Squad overhauled the old bad system, and created the new one (which Starmer is now getting credit for). But that's positive action that, again, should have been pushed as important and necessary work in the fight against antisemitism, and turned into a strength, something to be proud of. H...hell yeah we're anti-racist enough

This is exactly what the Corbyn tried and it failed. The problem with looking inwards, when you are in open war, is that the enemy rightly perceives it as weakness and just doubles down on the message. Every attempt at conciliation and self-searching is evidence of guilt and fuel for the fire. There's so much to attack on and every minute spent doing this (and this kind of stuff takes a hell of a lot of time that we just didn't have) is a minute not doing something more effective. I feel we're going around in circles at this point though.

Active Quasar fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 28, 2020

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

It is worth reminding ourselves that NZ Labour are centrists with minimal differences to the Nats (Tories, essentially), who have failed to deliver on almost all their manifesto aims.

The good gains from the government have been led by the Greens in the coalition.

Jacinda is a good leader though, there is no doubt on that and she has approached the absurd amount of catastrophic events during her term with strength, compassion and common sense.

Her winning would be great - as long as the Green coalition is still a thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Much as I'm not in the Labour party anymore, and am no fan of Sir Haircut, I really think this Ware person is trying to tie all leftish labour members and supporters up in knots of suing for libel especially with that additional bunch of sewers (intentional mis-spelling) who basically said 'expel Corbyn and this all goes away' so therefore not actually having any genuine fears for 'reputational damage'.

he's sued for libel a bunch of times after his documentaries have aired in the past and lost lol. standard procedure for him and why the documentary was so loving dodgy from the start

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ratjaculation posted:

It is worth reminding ourselves that NZ Labour are centrists with minimal differences to the Nats (Tories, essentially), who have failed to deliver on almost all their manifesto aims.

So they're like UK Labour, got it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

We shouldn't be trying to persuade people we're taking crime seriously, whatever that means. We should be trying to persuade people that crime is caused, directly and provably, by peoples' material circumstances, and will be reduced by improving peoples' material circumstances.

But that is taking crime seriously! And by extension you can accuse your opponent of not taking it seriously, by being more interested in looking tough than doing anything accruals useful to reduce it. You can save the finer details about societal reform for the manifesto and the bullet points on your election leaflets.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A colleague of mine once had to field an enquiry about a night security guard, which was very confusing because we don't employ night security guards.

It turned out that someone had got a job through a dodgy security agency, wasn't supplied with any workwear, and decided to wear the warm, waterproof hi-viz jacket that had our logo on it. He might have got away with it, if there hadn't been an incident with some trespassers. Even after he was called into the office for a 'quick chat' he was still dumbfounded that anyone would think he was in the wrong.

Wearing the wrong workwear stopped being an issue for him after he wandered away from a different site he was "guarding" to chat to a girl who was "flirting" with him, and was completely shocked that the agency sacked him for falling for the oldest distraction technique in the book.

Sorry there's no cycling dimension to it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Disnesquick posted:

Being fake has been shown to be an absolutely incredibly successful attack against both leftists and centrists. When you are up against someone who, not only cares about the truth, but thinks that there is a rational approach to defeating lies, you will crush them every time with an unending stream of mistruth, when you have enough money behind it. It takes time and resources to respond, has very little impact, and they can manufacture the next narrative before you've finished responding to the first time. You're wrapped on the defensive whilst they are constantly on the attack. It's a siege situation, basically. The Left only makes advances when it attacks but we've been fighting a rearguard action for 40 years with the illusion that someday "demographics" will save us. If the electoral rules ever DO favour the left, due to demographics, then they will simply change the rules. Oh hey, that's already happening.

Unending fake concern trolling with money behind it neuters most lefties/libs yes, we should build ways to be more aggressive more effectively yes, but don't like the implication that a "rational approach" is somehow part of the problem. Pure numbers 'x>y so why not x?' arguments and 'this poo poo you're saying is completely incoherent debate bro me' arguments both favour the left over the status quo our aggression should absolutely be 'rational approach' on some level.

Disnesquick posted:

Party unity is important. Corbyn should have purged the wreckers.

Yup.

Disnesquick posted:

This is exactly what the Corbyn tried and it failed. The problem with looking inwards, when you are in open war, is that the enemy rightly perceives it as weakness and just doubles down on the message. Every attempt at conciliation and self-searching is evidence of guilt and fuel for the fire. There's so much to attack on and every minute spent doing this (and this kind of stuff takes a hell of a lot of time that we just didn't have) is a minute not doing something more effective. I feel we're going around in circles at this point though.

There isn't/wasn't a realistic alternative response though. I'd love Labour to go nuclear and bring the receipts too on establishment media to try and force a delegitimising cultural shift against the evil bullshit, and head off whatever their next X smear is, but without a groundswell against the framework already existing to build on what are you actually suggesting? Should Corbyn have gone full Trump and railed against the Lyin' Fake News Media?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lady Demelza posted:

Wearing the wrong workwear stopped being an issue for him after he wandered away from a different site he was "guarding" to chat to a girl who was "flirting" with him, and was completely shocked that the agency sacked him for falling for the oldest distraction technique in the book.

Good god. I like to imagine that she was 'flirting' with him having to completely freestyle it over the internal chants of "Is this actually working? IS THIS ACTUALLY loving WORKING OH GOD WHAT DO I SAY NEXT?!?"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
There's this little area, mini-neighbourhood or something, fairly close to where I live in London, east of Angel, north of Old Street, both sides of Regent's Canal. I've been exploring various places recently on a bicycle. Twice I've been strolling down a random street in that area, which looks like it was built chock full of large council houses (big towers etc) in the 1970s-1980s or so, and twice I've seen a parked police car with a couple of officers having a nice friendly chat with some young black people

Not sure I've ever before seen cops talking to anyone when I've gone cycling. Magically that happens as soon as I end up in (what I'm guessing is a) deprived area with plenty of black people. Bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Couldn't the pigs focus on something productive instead, such as driving their car and themselves into the loving canal

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

There's this little area, mini-neighbourhood or something, fairly close to where I live in London, east of Angel, north of Old Street, both sides of Regent's Canal. I've been exploring various places recently on a bicycle. Twice I've been strolling down a random street in that area, which looks like it was built chock full of large council houses (big towers etc) in the 1970s-1980s or so, and twice I've seen a parked police car with a couple of officers having a nice friendly chat with some young black people

Not sure I've ever before seen cops talking to anyone when I've gone cycling. Magically that happens as soon as I end up in (what I'm guessing is a) deprived area with plenty of black people. Bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Couldn't the pigs focus on something productive instead, such as driving their car and themselves into the loving canal

That's Hoxton, and those estates - *particularly* the New Era (pre-war LCC low-rises) and the De Beauvour (late-70s GLC high- and mid-rises), either side of the canal - have been subject to multiple waves of gentrification pressure since the eighties - antique dealers from Islington looking to become BtL emperors, City boys pushing up from the south, several waves of hipsters rolling in from London Fields and Shoreditch.

Now. I'm not saying that these new residents, along with the local councils, engage in a kind of collective Karen-ing - setting up "Safer Neighbourhood Teams", targeting "antisocial behaviour" and practicing that old favourite "intelligence-led policing" with the unstated, and perhaps even unthought, purpose of driving the remaining social housing residents out of some of the best council housing ever built (seriously, those are the two golden ages) so they can have their hip, urban lifestyles without any of those "hip", "urban" types around. I'm not saying that at all. I'm also certain that the ALMO that owns New Era doubled the social rents for purely the most altruistic reasons and not to force out the social tenants so they could sell the leaseholds to BtLs, or that generally they've spent the last 20 years building their own little hostile environment down there. I'm not saying that at all, and I'm sure it's all a coincidence.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Goldskull posted:

https://twitter.com/HawksmoorLondon/status/1288032311095767041
5000 people in 6 hours reserving tables for £10 steak & chips. Which is an absolute steal for the quality. gently caress knows/cares about Nandos.

£10 for steak and chips with a side of potentially permanent heart damage is a steal

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soylent Yellow posted:

It has been something like 8 years since I last used a dvd/cd tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if you never publish it until after your death I genuinely think your understanding of the social history of London should go in a book or something Twisto because I feel like it's going to be invaluable to know who to guillotine come the revolution.