Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I was looking at some of the Kohler toilets around that price range, is the cartridge/canister flush any good or something to be avoided? Or should I just pick up one of those American Standards mentioned above?

Thanks

As for the well, I searched all the wells in my section and range and was able to find all my neighbors wells but mine. The unsorted records went back to the early 40s and I'll have to figure out what box number I used to be on the rural route. All the wells around me seem to be 6", have had great flow rates (12gpm ish over 5 hours with less than 5ft drop), and were in the 150-200ft range with the water level ending up about 60ft down the casing. Back in the 1950-60s that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Make sure you look up if your toilet can flush 20+ hot dogs before you buy it. This is an important toilet metric.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dear god, when you have a Moen shower valve poo poo the bed pay for a plumber.

I knew they were bad to replace (and I even have the tool) but it turned out exactly like everyone else's did.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What's the legality of those handheld bidets that got popular once you couldn't find TP anywhere a few months ago? It seems to me like they could only be legal in wet rooms, plus they'd probably need backflow prevention.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My toilet fill valve died today. I swapped it out no problem but the cutoff valve coming out of the wall is an older type with some corrosion on the fitting. After opening it again, the valve is now leaking from the stem. I am afraid if I try to remove and replace the fitting with a ball cutoff the nipple will fail and leave me cutting into drywall looking to repair copper pipe and on and on. Should I live with the occasional drip for now or deal? I tried tightening the valve body but it did not want to move.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You're gonna need to replace it. Any leaks are not acceptable long term. Get the new valve, any other supplies you could need, and attack it. If you're worried about the pipe nipple than get a spare one and a set of internal pipe wrenches. I've taken to soldering on threaded fittings at the stops, so a bad stop just means shutting off the water, unscrewing the old, applying pipe sealant, and threading on the new stop. Never need to work about cooking a seal or needing to bust out the torch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

You're gonna need to replace it. Any leaks are not acceptable long term. Get the new valve, any other supplies you could need, and attack it. If you're worried about the pipe nipple than get a spare one and a set of internal pipe wrenches. I've taken to soldering on threaded fittings at the stops, so a bad stop just means shutting off the water, unscrewing the old, applying pipe sealant, and threading on the new stop. Never need to work about cooking a seal or needing to bust out the torch.

On the other side of this, and it may very much be regional, I've never had any luck changing supply valves (just the vale part) and always end up busting out a torch and throwing on a new quarter turn valve.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
It's dripping a few CC's per day at most so for now I will keep an eye on it. The valve is original to the house and dates to the 1950s, so the odds of it coming off without a fight are small. I do want to fix it though, just rather deal with this than calling a plumber during a pandemic for something I hosed up. Appreciate the replies.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I think a lot of good DIY knowledge comes in knowing when to cal a pro. In more fun adventures, my toilet wobbles like crazy. Ok, tighten the floor bolts, and one just kind of... slides out of place attached to nothing. My drain pipes are all cast iron, and there was a good bit of rust on the bolt, so I called in a pro to reflange my toilet because I could do it if it was PVC, but cast iron is way out of my league.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

On the other side of this, and it may very much be regional, I've never had any luck changing supply valves (just the vale part) and always end up busting out a torch and throwing on a new quarter turn valve.

I don't understand. I'm talking about putting in new threaded connections, so replacing the valve involves unscrewing it, not soldering. Do you have trouble getting the old valve to unscrew? I'm not installing multi-turn valves, only quarter turn. I've never had the stub or threaded adapter fail. If it does, then it's drywall-cutting time anyhow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I don't understand. I'm talking about putting in new threaded connections, so replacing the valve involves unscrewing it, not soldering. Do you have trouble getting the old valve to unscrew? I'm not installing multi-turn valves, only quarter turn. I've never had the stub or threaded adapter fail. If it does, then it's drywall-cutting time anyhow.

Yeah, I'm talking about valves that don't come out of the stub. And around here they're typically not behind drywall. We use chrome valves/stubs that run almost back to the drywall and are trimmed with an escutcheon, so it's actually not that big of a deal to swap out.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I want to replace my radiator so I can free up some space to fit in a built-in closet in one room.
Right now the radiator is connected in the middle, so I figure if I get a smaller radiator with a connection on the right, it should free up enough space to get the closet in.
Basically like this:
code:
[radiator]          [radiator]
     II                     II   
The problem is, I don't know how to replace a radiator. What do I have to shut off? I noticed some sort of screws on the connetors, if I close those, is that enough?
Can I then drain the radiator and replace it? Do I have to shut off the power from my boiler while I do this? Do I have to drain every radiator in the house?
Should I just call a plumber and get it over with?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You should make sure the power and water feeds to the boiler are shut off, then drain the boiler down below the floor level of the radiator you want to remove.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
The radiator is one level above the boiler. So just shutting off the power to the boiler would be enough I think? I won't have to drain it?

But my main question still is, are those slots valves that I can turn off? Or does that not matter at all?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You do have to drain the radiator. Otherwise, every radiator at that floor, and all of the circuits connecting them, will drain out wherever you open the line (i.e. at the base of the target radiator).

Trust me, you don't want what comes out on your floors.

You have to lower the water level below where you will be cracking the line. That is done from the lowest point: the boiler.

You don't have to drain the entire system dry - just get it below what you're removing.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have some tree root growing into the sewer line. I was quoted about 1500 to dig down and patch up the pipe. Is it possible to just get them to snake it clear and just flush those root killer things down the toilet? The root isn't causing any obstruction, yet- but I'd sleep easier knowing I don't have a ticking time bomb on my hands.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Did they camera the line and see that it crushed the pipe or something? Normally you can just get your sewer snaked like you said and it will cut up any roots coming into your pipe. You’ll need to do it every few years.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Bioshuffle posted:

I have some tree root growing into the sewer line. I was quoted about 1500 to dig down and patch up the pipe. Is it possible to just get them to snake it clear and just flush those root killer things down the toilet? The root isn't causing any obstruction, yet- but I'd sleep easier knowing I don't have a ticking time bomb on my hands.

Alternatively, dig it yourself and just pay someone to patch it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bioshuffle posted:

What is the line made of? Clay/orangeburg or cast iron?

The former will leak and probably fragment/collapse when invaded by roots.

Cast iron usually has a crack that the roots exploit...but no guarantee that it has also not failed. It has better odds of being ream-able.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Here is the image directly from the inspection report :wtc: Due to Covid-19 protocols, I wasn't able to follow them around.

All the plumbers I've called want to send a new sewer camera down but that's like 200 dollars down the drain (pun intended). The inspectors mentioned the intrusion was minor and it wasn't enough to cause any blockages. From that, I'm guessing it's just in the peripherals. One plumber I consulted said if it's not blocked up, snaking the line wouldn't make any difference. Also, it looks like the issue is 57.36ft from the house where they gained access. Could I potentially just flush down some root killer and be done with it?

I have no idea what type of pipe it is, but it's a Texas home built in the late 80s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is installing a dishwasher something I should attempt myself?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
If it isn't up to code WHY DO THEY SELL IT AT THE PLUMBING SUPPLY STORE ARGH I HATE DOING poo poo TWICE

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rhyno posted:

Is installing a dishwasher something I should attempt myself?

If all the hookups are already there, it's pretty drat easy. Do you consider yourself even remotely handy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad Munki posted:

If all the hookups are already there, it's pretty drat easy. Do you consider yourself even remotely handy?

Yeah I've done a shitload of upgrades and repairs to this house but I see so many flooding horror stories.

Everything is there, I'm just shoving a new unit in there.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So one half of the lawn is pretty dead with the summer heat, and the other half is... Pretty green, which happens to be above where the sewer line exits the basement. Chance of a leak in the pipe seems pretty high? The soil isn't set or anything, but that side of the lawn is definitely more lush.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah I've done a shitload of upgrades and repairs to this house but I see so many flooding horror stories.

Then it's easy. You'll plug the plug in, you'll connect the water, and you'll connect the drain. You'll shove the unit into the space, adjust the feet as needed, throw a couple screws into the mountain brackets, tie your drain line up in a loop, and grab a beer. No sweat.

I think maybe the biggest surprise you might find is, I dunno, you need to get an appliance cord because your new unit expects to be hardwired? Or, maybe somehow the drain hose connection doesn't fit on your existing plumbing? But I've done a few and have never seen that happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad Munki posted:

Then it's easy. You'll plug the plug in, you'll connect the water, and you'll connect the drain. You'll shove the unit into the space, adjust the feet as needed, throw a couple screws into the mountain brackets, tie your drain line up in a loop, and grab a beer. No sweat.

I think maybe the biggest surprise you might find is, I dunno, you need to get an appliance cord because your new unit expects to be hardwired? Or, maybe somehow the drain hose connection doesn't fit on your existing plumbing? But I've done a few and have never seen that happen.

I haven't pulled the old one out but this is what the new one has

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rhyno posted:

I haven't pulled the old one out but this is what the new one has

As someone who was in flood mitigation for years, don't worry about the install. It's eventually gonna leak and destroy your house no matter how well you install it. That's just what dishwashers do.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do you have an outlet to plug it into? If not, I'd add one, and then zip down to Lowe's and grab an appliance cable, it's just the male end of an extension cord. Don't need anything wild. There should be a junction box under your new washer somewhere in which you can wire nut those wires to your new cable. Don't forget to use a cable clamp coming out of the box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slugworth posted:

As someone who was in flood mitigation for years, don't worry about the install. It's eventually gonna leak and destroy your house no matter how well you install it. That's just what dishwashers do.

Good thing this is for the house we just sold!

Bad Munki posted:

Do you have an outlet to plug it into? If not, I'd add one, and then zip down to Lowe's and grab an appliance cable, it's just the male end of an extension cord. Don't need anything wild. There should be a junction box under your new washer somewhere in which you can wire nut those wires to your new cable. Don't forget to use a cable clamp coming out of the box.

As I said above, that may be more effort than I'm looking to do. If the current unit is wired in will it be bad to just wire this in as well?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

If it isn't up to code WHY DO THEY SELL IT AT THE PLUMBING SUPPLY STORE ARGH I HATE DOING poo poo TWICE

because someone might need that part?

What'd happend?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Betting it was a saddle valve.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I sinned by using a rubber P trap.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So one half of the lawn is pretty dead with the summer heat, and the other half is... Pretty green, which happens to be above where the sewer line exits the basement. Chance of a leak in the pipe seems pretty high? The soil isn't set or anything, but that side of the lawn is definitely more lush.

Probably not. Sewer pipes are pretty far down. I doubt grass roots would reach it. Trees on the other hand...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rhyno posted:

If the current unit is wired in will it be bad to just wire this in as well?

That I can't really answer, I'm no code expert, but the effort to drop in an outlet is pretty trivial, so that's what I'd do. At worst, you'll need an old work box, a 50 cent outlet, and a 30 cent plate.

e: What kind of wiring is coming out that the old one was hooked up to? Like is it metal flex or was it just bare romex or what?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Rhyno posted:

As I said above, that may be more effort than I'm looking to do. If the current unit is wired in will it be bad to just wire this in as well?

If the current unit is wired in you'll likely find a junction box with conduit going to the washer's junction box. Unwiring should be a couple of screws and removing a few wire nuts, and you can re-use the conduit by hooking it up to the new unit's junction box. If you're paranoid, get those waterproofed wire nuts filled with gel.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The "pro installer" my landlord used installed the drain wrong. Yeah, just clamp it real hard, that's how it works.

The drain hose had a stepped boot at the end, you cut off the larger diameter part if you have a smaller drain connection. They didn't, and it leaked.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I installed a new water heater for my girlfriend last weekend and discovered that a prior owner (or possibly her ex when he did some other lovely plumbing work) ran the TPR valve drain in 1/2" pipe vertically 6+ feet up into the attic somewhere not visible.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bioshuffle posted:

Here is the image directly from the inspection report :wtc: Due to Covid-19 protocols, I wasn't able to follow them around.

All the plumbers I've called want to send a new sewer camera down but that's like 200 dollars down the drain (pun intended). The inspectors mentioned the intrusion was minor and it wasn't enough to cause any blockages. From that, I'm guessing it's just in the peripherals. One plumber I consulted said if it's not blocked up, snaking the line wouldn't make any difference. Also, it looks like the issue is 57.36ft from the house where they gained access. Could I potentially just flush down some root killer and be done with it?

I have no idea what type of pipe it is, but it's a Texas home built in the late 80s.

They can remove the roots with a root auger. If it's just cracked, it could be decades before it comes apart in any significant way requiring excavation. Reaming out the run will serve for years.

tactlessbastard posted:

I sinned by using a rubber P trap.

Your penance is to say five "gently caress depots" and then take a 4" PVC street elbow and remove it to a bin of 4" standard elbows.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, it'll be fine.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

.poo poo