Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I’m 5’10 and fit in everything just fine.

Tbqh you guys that are 6 foot and above should just stop complaining about sports cars being “too small” and leave them to us. Enjoy the other advantages of being tall.

Or just buy a corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I guess this is the one point in my life I can brag about being 5'3''. Even kei cars are roomy for me!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm curious. A lot of new cars have come out recently so how would you guys rank them in order of preference/want?

Mine is something like this:

1.G70 3.3T AWD
2. Mazda 3 Turbo AWD
3. Ford Bronco (because it's cool)
4. Civic Type R
5. 2021 Kia K5

I like all of them for their own merits even though the only ones I'd actually own are probably the G70 or the Mazda3.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazda 323 GTR
RX-7 GSL-SE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Charles posted:

RX-7 GSL-SE

hell yeah brother

all new cars are objectively very good but also very boring.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Miata is so clearly the next car I want that it's hard for me to even read new car reviews. The next-gen BR-Z/86 might conceivably lure me away but the rest are hopeless. The only other segment that has any appeal to me are the hot hatches, because if I ever can't get a Miata, a Veloster N, GTI, or Civic Type R would be the next obvious segment.

Outside of fun cars, I intend to keep the car I bought in 2019 until 2027 at the earliest, so I don't really care what sedans or CUVs people release today except as it provokes me to go all old man yells at cloud.jpg.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The Miata is so clearly the next car I want that it's hard for me to even read new car reviews. The next-gen BR-Z/86 might conceivably lure me away but the rest are hopeless. The only other segment that has any appeal to me are the hot hatches, because if I ever can't get a Miata, a Veloster N, GTI, or Civic Type R would be the next obvious segment.

Outside of fun cars, I intend to keep the car I bought in 2019 until 2027 at the earliest, so I don't really care what sedans or CUVs people release today except as it provokes me to go all old man yells at cloud.jpg.

Curious, what is motivating you to stick to a fairly rigid 8 year timeframe?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My actual retention times for new cars have been 11 years, 6 years, and 7 years, so maybe it's not as rigid as I'm letting on, but I drive an S4, and once I have my Miata, the S4 is likely to be driven for maybe 7k miles per year, so all the incentives will point to keeping it as long as I can stand.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm curious. A lot of new cars have come out recently so how would you guys rank them in order of preference/want?

Including announced cars?

1. Bronco because I’ve always wanted a go anywhere do anything vehicle, and getting that stock from the dealer really appeals to me.
2. Whatever the most recent Genesis luxury boat is. I don’t even care about the number. I just like large luxury cars.
3. Corolla Cross as the wife’s commuting vehicle.

Of those 3, only #3 is really likely to happen, but I can dream. #1 might, #2 never will.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think I'm technically sort of excited for Bronco, Mach E, and ID.4

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Idk if it’s been mentioned but the Manual G70 has been dropped.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It’s sort of the opposite of the Chevrolet SS, which “had too many features people didn’t want, a more basic version would have sold” - the Genesis was a stripped down base model with a back to basics manual.

Nobody bought it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How about a used Cayman/Boxster?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, nothing that's been fully fleshed out (which is why I bought the Golf R last year).

Potentially, I could be excited for the new BRZ assuming that it does't get hosed up in some way. I have a vague interest in the new WRX, but the likely lack of hatch and the fact that I just bought a new general daily driver last year puts a damper on that.

Also, I drive so little now though and that's going to be a constant for the foreseeable future. So, it's honestly hard to get excited about any car at this point.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That I don’t drive anymore is why I’m finally getting excited about cars again. When I was commuting daily I just wanted the most basic a-to-b car I could manage, which is why I drive a Camry.

Now that I’ll never be in the office more than once a week, and barely drive outside of that, I’ve started considering something more than an appliance.

It won’t be a manual, though. If I had the space for a 3rd “only for fun” car I’d look at one, and it would be something far sportier than what I’d normally look at. But anything I buy now still has to deal with taking kids to school and trips to the grocery store. I daily drove a manual for years, and while it was more engaging, it also just got tiresome over time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

How about a used Cayman/Boxster?

I've thought about it but I keep thinking that for what I want, a Miata is just better. The best local driving roads are all twisty because they have to duck around or between lakes, which means they have people living there, riding bikes, etc. I want something that feels like a lot of fun even at the 50MPH speed limit. I don't think a Porsche will make much difference there, but the cost of ownership would surely be higher over the life of the car.

Also I'm frankly more worried about keeping Mazda afloat than Porsche. My one purchase won't amount to much, but it's what I have to give.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The best local driving roads are all twisty because they have to duck around or between lakes,

Also I'm frankly more worried about keeping Mazda afloat than Porsche.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The most fun you can have in a new car under 50mph is in a Mazda Miata

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Obviously looking at the amphibious trim level

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Also I'm frankly more worried about keeping Mazda afloat than Porsche. My one purchase won't amount to much, but it's what I have to give.

Same. After we lemon law'd our Tuscon I steered my wife toward the CX-9. We liked it better than the other options we tried but there was also a thought in the back of my mind that I wanted to help their sales.

I almost ended up with a 2019 Miata Club but a 2006 Exige with 7K miles popped up for under $40K and I couldn't let the opportunity pass. The new engine, soul red paint, and Recaros would have been really nice though.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Plus, when the power level on the ND Miata becomes boring, you can toss money at Flying Miata and they'll drop a LS in it and you now have a modern day Cobra.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

TheBacon posted:

Obviously looking at the amphibious trim level

I agree with OP for whatever that's worth. Porsche has the pedigree to keep your head above water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7qxQcRYl4

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've thought about it but I keep thinking that for what I want, a Miata is just better. The best local driving roads are all twisty because they have to duck around or between lakes, which means they have people living there, riding bikes, etc. I want something that feels like a lot of fun even at the 50MPH speed limit. I don't think a Porsche will make much difference there, but the cost of ownership would surely be higher over the life of the car.

Those are two really good reasons. We need to keep Mazda in the game long enough for their rwd architecture and straight 6 to debut.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Anyone put a reservation in for a Bronco? I had thought about it but can't get anyone else convinced until a test drive happens.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

That I don’t drive anymore is why I’m finally getting excited about cars again

I dont drive a lot anymore but in all honesty new ICE cars are to me about as exciting as a kick in the balls with a steel cap boot. I'm thinking about replacing my Levorg (because no matter how good the rest of the car is gently caress CVTs) and the lack of anything that isnt poo poo is astounding. Even if my base qualifier is somewhat silly - can easily fit a bike - the range I could resonably look at even just 5 years ago was so much more enticing - I could even get a V8 Commodore manual wagon. And 10 years ago it was even better.

Now? A sea of insipid CUV's, cars choked with CVT's, obnoxious appliances that focus on gadgets rather than actually being interesting to be in and of course the ability to get a manual is shrinking by the second outside of a narrowing subset of cars. I do not give one iota of a gently caress some rear end in a top hat with a blog claims the latest autotragic is faster blah blah get hosed. It's not. It's also nowhere near as fun. I'll consider DSG but anything with a torque converter is just gently caress off.

I suspect a Hyundai i30 N Performance or a VW Golf might well be on the cards. I've driven an i30 and TBH I was highly impressed but still felt it lacked something.

Or I give up and admit that there will never be another ICE that suits me and my price point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just hold out for a couple years and go EV baby

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont drive a lot anymore but in all honesty new ICE cars are to me about as exciting as a kick in the balls with a steel cap boot. I'm thinking about replacing my Levorg (because no matter how good the rest of the car is gently caress CVTs) and the lack of anything that isnt poo poo is astounding. Even if my base qualifier is somewhat silly - can easily fit a bike - the range I could resonably look at even just 5 years ago was so much more enticing - I could even get a V8 Commodore manual wagon. And 10 years ago it was even better.

Now? A sea of insipid CUV's, cars choked with CVT's, obnoxious appliances that focus on gadgets rather than actually being interesting to be in and of course the ability to get a manual is shrinking by the second outside of a narrowing subset of cars. I do not give one iota of a gently caress some rear end in a top hat with a blog claims the latest autotragic is faster blah blah get hosed. It's not. It's also nowhere near as fun. I'll consider DSG but anything with a torque converter is just gently caress off.

I suspect a Hyundai i30 N Performance or a VW Golf might well be on the cards. I've driven an i30 and TBH I was highly impressed but still felt it lacked something.

Or I give up and admit that there will never be another ICE that suits me and my price point.

How bad is the mark up on used Macans in Australia?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Get a Mazda with a stick you fool

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just hold out for a couple years and go EV baby

Very likely thats my answer.

quote:

How bad is the mark up on used Macans in Australia?

Cheapest Macan is a 2014 at 49,000.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I hate Ford, both as a corporate entity and as a manufacturer of extremely poorly built vehicles, I've hated or at best merely disliked every Ford I've ever driven or ridden in, a walk through a Ford dealership lot will reveal more misaligned panels and trim than any other manufacturer save Tesla, and I really have come to love not having a car payment and driving a wholly owned vehicle.

But gently caress me I want a Bronco.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm still traumatized from my 1994 Taurus, but some of the recent Ford rental cars I've had I actually kind of... liked? Liked is a bit of a strong word, but I didn't hate them. I don't think their poo poo stinks as bad as FCA or GM, at least.

Notably, the Fusion Hybrid Titanium and Edge Titanium I thought were pretty decent for what they are. That Fusion Hybrid was a long term rental and it returned like 45mpg in pretty big car, without even trying. And the driver assist stuff on the Edge worked surprisingly well, compared to some other systems I've suffered through.

I'm not recommending anyone go buy them, but I wouldn't put them at the bottom of the list, personally.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I liked my FoST fairly well, which almost makes up for the fact that due to a wiring harness manufacturing defect it stalled on I-93 south in Dorchester, MA at about 70 mph

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My car decision tree last year had things narrowed down to:

Veloster N
Civic Type R
Golf R

Furthermore, the thinking went this way "If I got a DSG Golf R, I might as well include the Stinger GT since I''m changing the parameters of what I really want with the car and the Stinger would offer better overall value. But if I'm going down THAT rabbit hole, I might as well consider a Model 3 Performance if I'm prepared to spend $50k on a car."

At that point I realized I had gotten so far away from what I was looking for in a next vehicle, I collapsed back down to the first 3.

Neither the Veloster nor Civic could be equipped entirely the way I would want (no heated seats) but I found the Golf SO boring to look at.

The first two also offered challenges in obtaining them, the former never being in stock and the later always marked up. I was able to overlook the outside boring nature of the Golf after the test drive which struck the balance I was looking for.

Then less than a month later, they announced my office was closing permanently and we were all WFH from here on out.

Then the pandemic hit which severely curtailed any other reasons I had for driving.

Knowing what I know now, it's highly likely I wouldn't have replaced my WRX since i'm only dirving a couple thousand miles a year and would have just waited a bit longer. That said I don't really see many replacements stepping into consideration in the near term so I probably would have been left with the same choices.

It's possible I would have went for the Civc since I wasn't going to be commuting anymore so some of the creature comforts weren't as useful. What I really should have though is a Leaf or something like that since I can just leave it plugged in and ready to go for the once every 10 days or so that I leave the house.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If the Turbo AWD Corolla rumours are true, I'll be at the front of the line for one of those

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I liked my FoST fairly well, which almost makes up for the fact that due to a wiring harness manufacturing defect it stalled on I-93 south in Dorchester, MA at about 70 mph

My WRX did that to me many times. Bad main relay.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Charles posted:

Get a Mazda with a stick you fool

I see that Mazda still does a manual option across most if their range in Australia - gotta wonder what the take rate is like.

In New Zealand Mazda only did one manual trim of the previous model 3 (the more basic spec 2.5) and the take rate was so low that the new model is Auto only.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Neither the Veloster nor Civic could be equipped entirely the way I would want (no heated seats) but I found the Golf SO boring to look at.

The CTR doesn't have heated seats? I'm surprised. The Si does.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I see that Mazda still does a manual option across most if their range in Australia - gotta wonder what the take rate is like.

In New Zealand Mazda only did one manual trim of the previous model 3 (the more basic spec 2.5) and the take rate was so low that the new model is Auto only.

Lame. Yeah it's barely available in the States on the 3 in only one trim (though top trim), no other model that I can see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The CTR doesn't have heated seats? I'm surprised. The Si does.

It does not.

It was even more barebones until this year. MY20 gave it Honda Sensing tech so now it at least has adaptive cruise control (along with lane keep, collision warning, emergency braking). It didn't have any of that stuff before which some people may put in its favor, but it was hard to swallow at the price. I still don't think it has any form of blind spot monitoring though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

bull3964 posted:

It does not.

It was even more barebones until this year. MY20 gave it Honda Sensing tech so now it at least has adaptive cruise control (along with lane keep, collision warning, emergency braking). It didn't have any of that stuff before which some people may put in its favor, but it was hard to swallow at the price. I still don't think it has any form of blind spot monitoring though.

Did that increase the weight? I assume the CTR didn't have any of that ostensiblely for cost/weight savings. I was surprised it was lighter than my Speed3 by a good hundred pounds, despite being a larger car.

EDIT: It did, by a whole 5 pounds lol

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 29, 2020