Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

None of those people have any idea what they're doing, if you do things correctly you won't have their problems at all. Just the fact that you're thinking about this stuff at all puts you ahead.

No no, like 100% realize this, and ultimately it never does keep me off my bike or keep me from trying new things every week, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t in the back of my mind every time I make a corner tighter than I did last time, or I spy a road full of tar snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The one at night with the headlightless driver is something. I had the same questions as the dude. I’m glad that he had video of it to review later though.

“What happened?”
“You’ve been in a motorcycle accident...”
“I know that. What happened?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’m with you. Watching crash videos puts me in a weird mental place between “I’m glad I’m a better rider than these idiots” and “I should never get on a motorcycle again”

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Martytoof posted:

No no, like 100% realize this, and ultimately it never does keep me off my bike or keep me from trying new things every week, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t in the back of my mind every time I make a corner tighter than I did last time, or I spy a road full of tar snakes.

Most of the time when someone suddenly loses the rear in a corner I can't tell what did it, but in this video there's several clips where you can hear erratic throttle engagement just before the slide. Frenchy is especially obvious since you can see his wrist going for WOT three times in quick succession before the inevitable happens. Why he thought the middle of a corner was the best time to drop a revbomb I have no idea.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a video with an explanation of “I was going way too fast :downs:” or “I chopped the throttle mid corner and lost traction” or any other reasonable truth in these types of videos.

It’s always some lame excuse, someone else’s fault, or just straight up lies when they go down.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A huge proportion of riders do not understand the consequences of lifting off mid corner and thus do the exact wrong thing when they get into a corner too hot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

A huge proportion of riders do not understand the consequences of lifting off mid corner and thus do the exact wrong thing when they get into a corner too hot.

Also, lifting off midcorner doesn't necessarily produce catastrophic loss of traction. If you're going slow enough, and you panic and cut throttle, you might get light in the rear but not enough to break the wheel loose. And then your body has learned The Wrong Lesson.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The majority of riders are hopeless and strobe the throttle because they don't plan corners or even understand why that's bad form at all.

That being said you'd have to be coming in suuuper hot or in the rain for that to crash you, most bikes just stand up harmlessly when you shut the throttle. But when you've got the compounding errors of crap rider, crap tyres with no air in them, poorly maintained bike and suspension adjusters all hosed up I can see it happening.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

trike krew

I’m the.......hoo boy, I guess the ten commandments tablets on the back?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 24, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
im disappointed that it weighs 10,500 lbs and only makes 392 hp

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I hate everything but the 8V92.

James' did a better version though iirc that was a big cam 855.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

I hate everything but the 8V92.

James' did a better version though iirc that was a big cam 855.

Tell me more, emissary from the diesel planet, your mysterious incantations intrigue me.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/pisschalice/status/1286722594826326017?s=20

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Most of the time when someone suddenly loses the rear in a corner I can't tell what did it, but in this video there's several clips where you can hear erratic throttle engagement just before the slide. Frenchy is especially obvious since you can see his wrist going for WOT three times in quick succession before the inevitable happens. Why he thought the middle of a corner was the best time to drop a revbomb I have no idea.

The one time I have lowsided was at a track day when I was trying to pass someone out of the exit of a hairpin. I believe I just gave too much throttle input while still leaned too far over, but I definitely didn't have any warning: one second I was turning, and the next I was sliding off the track.

But also my SV650 has a super choppy throttle at low speed especially in 1st gear, so if you're not extremely smooth it will buck at low inputs.

Because I'm still a sucky rider, the advice I got from one of the instructors was to maybe lug it in 3rd gear or second at faster speeds to avoid that bucking behavior.

I assume the other option would be a power commander and remapping the throttle but that's more money than. I want to put in the bike for how little riding time I get.

(I really wish I had gone out riding during peak lockdown because the roads were empty and the weather was nice, but I felt like that would be a lovely thing to do as a human. Now Texas is hot as balls and nearly all of the traffic is back.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

The one time I have lowsided was at a track day when I was trying to pass someone out of the exit of a hairpin. I believe I just gave too much throttle input while still leaned too far over, but I definitely didn't have any warning: one second I was turning, and the next I was sliding off the track.

But also my SV650 has a super choppy throttle at low speed especially in 1st gear, so if you're not extremely smooth it will buck at low inputs.

Because I'm still a sucky rider, the advice I got from one of the instructors was to maybe lug it in 3rd gear or second at faster speeds to avoid that bucking behavior.

I assume the other option would be a power commander and remapping the throttle but that's more money than. I want to put in the bike for how little riding time I get.

(I really wish I had gone out riding during peak lockdown because the roads were empty and the weather was nice, but I felt like that would be a lovely thing to do as a human. Now Texas is hot as balls and nearly all of the traffic is back.)

This is a problem you could rectify with a tooth bigger/smaller rear sprocket quite easily. If you're not in the engine's happy place on a given corner it's usually a mismatch of speed vs gearing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I almost always immediately throw my Ninja 650 into second gear in city riding unless I am looking to TAKE OFF because first is so choppy. Second gear is pretty versatile but first is like what I imagine a rodeo is like, unless I'm constantly micro adjusting the clutch.

I don't know if that's a smart thing to do or if I'm just being ultra noob idiot rider about it, but that's what works for me v:)v

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah low speed 1st gear is all in the clutch. It's really easy to pick up some pretty lazy bad habits of just ham-fisting the clutch everywhere, especially if your clutch is heavy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Tell me more, emissary from the diesel planet, your mysterious incantations intrigue me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntc2ySu40rM
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1972-PETERBILT-CUSTOM-TRUCK-ENGINE-TRIKE-61600

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

that's a lot of r-words for a show even of the time

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

25 grand is surprisingly cheap, I'd definitely take it over a kkkustom chopper or a goldwing trike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’d take the 25k

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The one redeeming factor seems to be that if you could get it to hook up it would probably pull sick coal rolling wheelies.

It’s so light compared to what those tires are designed for though that it would probably just spin them

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah low speed 1st gear is all in the clutch. It's really easy to pick up some pretty lazy bad habits of just ham-fisting the clutch everywhere, especially if your clutch is heavy.

Feathering the clutch is mandatory to be able to do figure 8s and tight U turns and slaloms and the slow ride in the MOD1 test in the UK, it's drilled into you. You have to use the clutch. Feathering it is now p much instinctive when I'm in first for slow manoeuvres.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Feathering the clutch is mandatory to be able to do figure 8s and tight U turns and slaloms and the slow ride in the MOD1 test in the UK, it's drilled into you. You have to use the clutch. Feathering it is now p much instinctive when I'm in first for slow manoeuvres.

It's definitely taught and practiced in the various rider training courses over here, but you can still muddle your way through it without really understanding what you're doing. And then when you get on the road and the only low speed maneuvers you do are pulling away from a stop, you can pretty quickly forget what the clutch is for and treat it like a car clutch. Not to get on this soap box again, but that's another reason filtering in traffic makes you a better rider. You don't forget that fine clutch control, because you're using it all the time. When you're forced to ride like a car in traffic, your clutch control just ends up devolving to binary.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Saw this ad watching motogp:

Is strapping a surfboard to a scrambler to go camping on the beach actually a thing people do IRL

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hahahaha let me tell you about waiheke island.

Waiheke island is a fairly large island a couple of miles off Auckland harbour, with a mostly boomer population and wineyards everywhere. It's very small, but it's hilly, so the kids who go to the one highschool on the island all ride 50cc scooters. The transport agency convinced me to go over there and do like a seminar day with some riding instructors.

All of the scooters were deathtraps - bald flat tyres, inches of steering head bearing play, one kid had his rear wheel nut finger tight and his father was the island scooter mechanic.

A full 50% of these things had elaborate custom racks for surf boards, every single kid had a story about being blown off the road.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode a death trap scooter on Waiheke and I’m glad it was an authentic kiwi experience.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I knew it was a thing, and indeed now that I live in California I see it on the PCH pretty often.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/mkf/status/1288117053614731273

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So now there's a "OK, Some Prisoners," because he got a strike against his channel for "inappropriate content."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
'bout bloody time. It was getting weird.

Also how is that dude even alive after losing both boots :eyepop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That riders life was spared so that the boot could travel all the way to the ISS, killing a space walking astronaut

:rip:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Those don't look like boots, rather like lovely shoes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Given the context, there is little doubt those are just lace up sneakers.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Usually if your boots come off it means your legs have exploded. I think that guy, given his ride-like-a-dong nature, was probably just wearing Nikes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

There's a good John Hinds talk where he mentions the injuries you're going to see if a proper race boot has come off, and it's extremely not pretty

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's like how an F1 car explodes into carbon shards in a crash to dissipate energy. The momentum imparted to launch that shoe into low Earth orbit meant that what little crash energy remained could just be dissipated by a somersault and a few hops, which is why the guy was able to walk it off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean yeah i have to pry my boots off with both hands even when they're unzipped, and that's a proper fit. pulling them off without undoing them brings to mind phrases like "traumatic avulsion" and "catastrophic disassembly"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rented-Road-Rash-2-a-dozen-times-in-the-90s Problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I loved that game but it left me disappointed as an adult that jumping over cows on a sportbike really isn't a part of my day to day riding experience