Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Xun posted:

I keep having issues with danknulls just...eating my items? Like I could go on a nice mining trip, see that I got a bunch of cobble/coal/lapis/whatever and when I try to empty it the slots just become empty and maybe I can get stuff out manually or not. Anyone knows whats up with that?

It had some bugs a while back (8 months or a year or so) but as far as I know they've all been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

So what's going on in the world of modded? The last new pack I played was SF4, nothing new or exciting seems to have come out since? What's going on with forge 1.15+? I've been distracted, last I knew they were having some issues with server stability.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

So what's going on in the world of modded? The last new pack I played was SF4, nothing new or exciting seems to have come out since? What's going on with forge 1.15+? I've been distracted, last I knew they were having some issues with server stability.
Mekanism v10 came out for 1.16 and is pretty cool. It adds armor/tools similar to modular power suits, a huge item storage block, some equivalent of ic2's energy -> items endgame stuff, and it adds a fission reactor that gates some of the endgame stuff.

The fission reactor has a radiation mechanic that is good but has an effect that's both a bit too extreme and not as cool as nuclearcraft's. If anyone wants advice on dealing with it ahead of time I can provide a very simple way that exploits mek's mechanics.

1.12.2 is still the modded version with the occasional 1.7.10 pack worth playing if you haven't already played. 1.14/1.15 saw a lot of mod releases and porting between 1.14,1.15, and 1.16 shouldn't be too bad. Depending on the release cadence and what the next version adds, 1.16 may be the next big modded version or it may be another 1.10 where it becomes the version but hides in 1.7.10's shadow until a later 1.12.2 equivalent.

It's still up in the air and nothing real big has happened. 1.16 is still really new so not much has ported yet. Refined Storage & Mekanism are the two big ones. These new versions may see some of the old mods left behind but we'll see.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 21, 2020

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Khorne posted:

Mekanism v10 came out for 1.16 and is pretty cool. It adds armor/tools similar to modular power suits, a huge item storage block, some equivalent of ic2's energy -> items endgame stuff, and it adds a fission reactor that gates some of the endgame stuff.

The fission reactor has a radiation mechanic that is good but has an effect that's both a bit too extreme and not as cool as nuclearcraft's. If anyone wants advice on dealing with it ahead of time I can provide a very simple way that exploits mek's mechanics.

1.12.2 is still the modded version with the occasional 1.7.10 pack worth playing if you haven't already played. 1.14/1.15 saw a lot of mod releases and porting between 1.14,1.15, and 1.16 shouldn't be too bad. Depending on the release cadence and what the next version adds, 1.16 may be the next big modded version or it may be another 1.10 where it becomes the version but hides in 1.7.10's shadow until a later 1.12.2 equivalent.

It's still up in the air and nothing real big has happened. 1.16 is still really new so not much has ported yet. Refined Storage & Mekanism are the two big ones. These new versions may see some of the old mods left behind but we'll see.

Ooh I like the newer version of mek in 1.12, so 1.16 mek sounds fun.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I’m excited to see where modded goes next, but it’s taking its time. Is Fabric catching on at all?

Edit: NM, scratch that question. I scrolled up. Lol.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

Ooh I like the newer version of mek in 1.12, so 1.16 mek sounds fun.
When I say "too extreme" I mean if you get radiated near your bed you're going to enter an infinite death loop with no way to escape it other than using an op/cheats slash command to clear all rad. /mek radiation removeAll is the command.

You can avoid getting hit with it if you wear the full protective armor or don't break stuff. I had 3/4 on and entered a death loop last night. It kinda sucked. Outside of the status effect death loop business, it works pretty cool.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 21, 2020

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Khorne posted:

When I say "too extreme" I mean if you get radiated near your bed you're going to enter an infinite death loop with no way to escape it other than using an op/cheats slash command to clear all rad. /mek radiation removeAll is the command.

You can avoid getting hit with it if you wear the full protective armor or don't break stuff. I had 3/4 on and entered a death loop last night. It kinda sucked. Outside of the status effect death loop business, it works pretty cool.

Holy poo poo. :laffo:

I wonder what their plan is with radiation if they hosed it up that bad. Thanks for the info, this should be entertaining for an evening or two.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

Holy poo poo. :laffo:

I wonder what their plan is with radiation if they hosed it up that bad. Thanks for the info, this should be entertaining for an evening or two.
If you don't handle spent waste near your bed you will be fine, too.

If you do it properly no radiation will enter your world at all. I was just trying to figure out how it did or didn't work, and it worked a bit more extreme than I expected haha.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
So the Regrowth dev just released a new skyblock pack, Heavens of Sorcery. No ex nihilo or sky resources, so if you're tired of sifting for resources this may be for you.

One note, disable the Linear mod because it has a weird conflict that makes quests not complete.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Maguoob posted:

So the Regrowth dev just released a new skyblock pack, Heavens of Sorcery. No ex nihilo or sky resources, so if you're tired of sifting for resources this may be for you.

One note, disable the Linear mod because it has a weird conflict that makes quests not complete.

It would be interesting to see the gameplay loop here. I like the idea of no eternal sifting, but I dunno how you'd replace it.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

It would be interesting to see the gameplay loop here. I like the idea of no eternal sifting, but I dunno how you'd replace it.

Well it is a magic focused mod and appears to have extra dimensions, so it may be more of a do other dims for resources. At the very beginning it is mush berries (rustic) and dry them out for iron. Then you can use charcoal (27 per) to make a diamond.

Though with the magic focus it isn't like you will need 12 million resources to make a things like most expert packs (I assume).

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there an updated guide/wiki for the new Mekanism release? All the stuff I'm finding is v8.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Out of curiosity, what was it about 1.12.2 that led to it being so heavily modded? Was it just around for a particularly long time before 1.13 arrived?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Out of curiosity, what was it about 1.12.2 that led to it being so heavily modded? Was it just around for a particularly long time before 1.13 arrived?

I believe Forge started its rewrite after 1.12.2 and that took a long while to come out, so most mods just settled on 1.12.2.

Whether or not we'll end up with another version being the modded version for a while like 1.7 or 1.12 were, I have no clue. I guess it depends on much work would be required to update after the rewrite of Forge or if mod devs switch to Fabric.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Weltlich posted:

Is there an updated guide/wiki for the new Mekanism release? All the stuff I'm finding is v8.
The closest is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQRVqs4TUEU

With this developer interview.

Stream of consciousness notes, will organize better later:

Enriching diamonds/coal/redstone into plates gives 8x the amount for infusing other materials in the pack I was playing. Not sure if that's a v10 change or something I overlooked previously.

Most things are the same at lower tiers. Recipes changed a bit at endgame tier. JEI works really well for the mekanism stuff. Most of the new stuff is gated behind having a fission reactor.

Fission reactor uses fission casing, reactor glass with similar rules to the turbine. Stack fission fuel assembly and cap it with a control rod assembly. Leave a 1 block gap between the ceiling and the control rod assembly.

You'll need 4 fission reactor ports and to use the configurator to switch between types. Fluid in for water, gas in for fissile fuel, gas out for spent fuel, fluid out? for steam. Something like that. If your reactor is big enough you want an extra port for water. A 7x7x7 with 2-4 control rods setup uses almost a full port of water using mek's ultimate fluid cables.

Mek's multiblock will tell you what's invalid, but I didn't run into invalid on the fission reactor.

Let it fill with water through the reactor port before running it.

When you run it it will only consume 1mb/t until you set it higher in the Stats panel. It will consume insane amounts of water when you set it higher. I made 16 fully upgraded pumps before giving up and just using the cooking for blockheads' sink. Attach fluid cables in pull mode to multiple faces of that block for a lot of water. 1 sink can provide for an entire 7x7x7 reactor.

7x7x7 reactor with 4 control assembly produces 500kRF/t or so worth of steam when put into a mek steam turbine. Nothing changed about the steam turbine. It's still annoying to build correctly if you haven't built one recently.

The rods get a penalty if you put them near each other. I haven't experimented much, but diagonal tiling might work fine. I left 1 block of space everywhere around my rods and it worked out fine. I haven't experimented yet with trying to turn it up because it wasn't needed and the polonium production rate & power output are adequate for this tier of power.

Pipe waste out into the solar neutron activator. One can handle a reactor, but keep a decent amount of piping to store excess waste. Pipe polonium into a prc (+oxygen), pipe the spent fuel from the prc down toward bedrock and just make a big pipe grid to avoid having to deal with radiation. If you have more waste than your pipe network can contain when you break the pipe you will cause massive radiation in your world. Otherwise, you can ignore the radiation mechanics completely with pipes. There are also nuclear waste barrels, but I'm unclear on their mechanics or purpose when pipes can hold more waste per block, don't emit radiation, and can be freely broken as long as sufficient space is left in the network.

For the fuel production chain, just follow JEI from the final result. Total machines for production chain are: 1x prc, 3x chem inf, 2x chem ox, 1x rotary conds, 2x chem inj, 1x isotropic centrifuge, 1x energized smelter (to smelt uranium dust), 1x enrichment chamber (uranium ingots), 1x chemical dissolution chamber (this takes a gas upgrade, use one). You'll want an extra PRC and 1x Solar Neutron Activator for processing spent fuel.

Inputs to the chain are oxygen (maybe H too? I forget), water, fluorite, coal/charcoal, and uranium dust or ingots. There are two chains, the sulfur chain and the uranium chain. Uranium chain uses smelter/enrichment to get yellow cake, puts into chemical oxidizer, and then it goes to the main chain. The other chain uses oxygen+coal/charcoal to make sulfur, processes the sulfur, eventually gets to chemical dissolution chamber with fluorite, and then combines with the uranium chain.

Strongly recommend following JEI from sulfur production up and just building piece by piece to avoid complexity. Leave space around machines. Use a basic chem tank set to dump excess to handle the excess hydrogen from the sulfur production.

I upgraded everything to 8x,8x but it uses around 200kRF/t when upgraded that way. When built this way the simple uranium chain will bottleneck. Basic factories and an extra chemical oxidizer or two will increase fuel production significantly.

I haven't tried fusion yet.

The new gear takes polonium from the fission reactor, lithium, hdpe, and netherite. I can't get the digital miner to mine the block for netherite, but I haven't found the block yet because I have pretty limited time. I am fairly certain you can place it in Item Stack once you have one block of it.

There is a hazmat suit, geiger counter, and dosimeter. You have to have the full hazmat suit on before being exposed to radiation. If you follow the pipe strategy above you won't need hazmat. If you break something containing radioactive material and it has nowhere to go you're guaranteed to die without full hazmat (or meka armor with hazmat upgrades). Don't do this stuff near your bed. Can cheat with /mek radiation removeAll to clear it if you end up in a bad situation. If you have full hazmat the radiation pretty much does nothing and is kinda cool. Might be able to make a mob farm with it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 23, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I know some guy who claims if he takes water from near the bottom of a river it doesn't fill back in and the current tries to drown him. In 1.12.2. Wasn't that fixed in 1.5?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

Stream of consciousness notes, will organize better later:

drat! Thanks a bunch for writing that up. I’m just fiddling around in the early stages now but this will def. come in handy.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

McFrugal posted:

I know some guy who claims if he takes water from near the bottom of a river it doesn't fill back in and the current tries to drown him. In 1.12.2. Wasn't that fixed in 1.5?

oh hey, small world lmao

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Can confirm that water is still hosed up in 1.12.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Weird, it refills on my computer.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Anybody playing Heavens of Sorcery made it to the Aether yet? I'm only seeing the Boss mobs spawn, and I think I need the regular aechor mobs for their petal drops to make lead.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nevets posted:

Anybody playing Heavens of Sorcery made it to the Aether yet? I'm only seeing the Boss mobs spawn, and I think I need the regular aechor mobs for their petal drops to make lead.

It it is a known issue that is being worked on, so it should be fixed in the next update.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Weird, it refills on my computer.

Depends how the water was 'made' I think. If it was naturally generated then it's all water sources and works right probably, but if you, say, make a lake deeper or wider, then the water layers below the previous level are not filled in unless you bucket water into them yourself. Maybe it's also possible that things can just be dumb sometimes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Water mechanics are and always have been stupid, it's a drat kid's game stop making it so complicated. That it's still possible to leave ugly 'whirlpools' of water when bucketing from a lake is ridiculous, and the amount of effort required to fill in a natural lake or pool is equally ridiculous. There has to be a better way!!!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Has there been another huge logistics quest modpack in the past few years?

The last one I played was Agrarian Skies 1, then 2 came out and was just another tutorial quest book slog.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Manager Hoyden posted:

Has there been another huge logistics quest modpack in the past few years?

The last one I played was Agrarian Skies 1, then 2 came out and was just another tutorial quest book slog.
Omnifactory is up there. It's a lot of fun if you work on automation, machines, power, etc. along the way, and it's one of the only Gregtech pack I've enjoyed the inclusion in. But for your own sanity you should probably stop before getting to the endgame.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

Omnifactory is up there. It's a lot of fun if you work on automation, machines, power, etc. along the way, and it's one of the only Gregtech pack I've enjoyed the inclusion in. But for your own sanity you should probably stop before getting to the endgame.

Great, thanks for the suggestion. Which launcher is it on?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Manager Hoyden posted:

Great, thanks for the suggestion. Which launcher is it on?
Should be on Curse, if it's still around. If not you can download it from the link below and import it using MultiMC by choosing "import modpack".
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/omnifactory
Front page of this link also has some info on the pack up-front if you want to know what you're getting into. It's a long haul pack so better to be sure.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Water mechanics are and always have been stupid, it's a drat kid's game stop making it so complicated. That it's still possible to leave ugly 'whirlpools' of water when bucketing from a lake is ridiculous, and the amount of effort required to fill in a natural lake or pool is equally ridiculous. There has to be a better way!!!

The water mechanics aren't complicated? They're basically the simplest set of rules that doesn't lead to infinite flooding.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

reignonyourparade posted:

The water mechanics aren't complicated? They're basically the simplest set of rules that doesn't lead to infinite flooding.
Ah yes that explains the weird water vortices floating in the sea and the underwater currents because a water block in a lake is "missing".

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Ah yes that explains the weird water vortices floating in the sea and the underwater currents because a water block in a lake is "missing".

Yeah I don't disagree that that's annoying, but the reason for their existence isn't because the ruleset is "too complicated," it's because the ruleset isn't complicated enough to Flood When Appropriate But Not When Inappropriate.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah I don't disagree that that's annoying, but the reason for their existence isn't because the ruleset is "too complicated," it's because the ruleset isn't complicated enough to Flood When Appropriate But Not When Inappropriate.
The rules as I understand them are "if next to two other water source tiles, become a water source". That doesn't explain why either of the above examples happen.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Because what's under the source blocks matters

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been playing FTB Revelation lately with ore excavator added, and while digging down to find redstone, I found this super massive clump of poor quality iron. After using up countless sharpening kits and dumping inventory after inventory into the smelter, I have more iron and invar than I think I can ever use :shepface: too bad the blocks don't look that great or I'd build an iron house as a flex.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Mek v10 is pretty good.

Avoid bins they wreck fps and suck.

QIO is good but can't interface with RS as far as I know. It's the best backpack ever and it has importer/exporters you can use to automatically dump certain stuff out into other places.

Fission fuel process gives you the hard part of 5x ore processing. I didn't know that when I set it up. Pretty relevant because mek still has no way to get infinite ore and I can burn through gold faster than 5x fully upgraded digital miners can mine it.

Teleporters are awesome now to the point that Waystones and similar aren't even worth it. You don't even need to build a portal if you use a handheld device.

I also learned a whole lot of things about mekanism I didn't know despite using the mod since at least 1.5.x. Although lots of the things I learned weren't there in 1.5.x, like lasers and personal chests which are both pretty interesting.

also, in 1.15.x and 1.16 you just need 1 ender pearl to get above bedrock in the nether and you can relink your nether portal there making a sweet place to build with no hostile mobs at all and good fps.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 28, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Downloaded Vahelsia 3 from Twitch to try out a 1.16 modpack.
Decent so far except for tiny skeletons that seem to have an even smaller hitbox and creepers exploded into multiple smaller creepers. :/
Sadly I cannot find out which mod adds them to change any configs.

Though the only thing i've played with so far are IE and Mekanism.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/valhelsia-3

e: just had a creeper sneak up behind me and blow and I got 5 tiny ones from it that time.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 28, 2020

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

OgNar posted:

Downloaded Vahelsia 3 from Twitch to try out a 1.16 modpack.
Decent so far except for tiny skeletons that seem to have an even smaller hitbox and creepers exploded into multiple smaller creepers. :/
Sadly I cannot find out which mod adds them to change any configs.

Though the only thing i've played with so far are IE and Mekanism.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/valhelsia-3

e: just had a creeper sneak up behind me and blow and I got 5 tiny ones from it that time.

Mekanism Additions adds tiny mobs. I’ve only seen tiny skeletons in 1.12, but v10 may have added more.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I can't really play versions after 1.12.2 because 1.13 introduced some kind of horrendous input bug that, as of current version, is still present for me. Basically if I try to start moving sideways within a second of having started moving forwards/backwards (or vice versa), I get locked moving in the direction I was originally headed for a couple seconds. So unless I disable strafing altogether I'm just gonna fall to my death every 5 minutes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I get a similar problem I can't overcome which is that I can't use TAB to open/close the inventory anymore because it's hardcoded to not work (if the inventory's open it'll just cycle through selections) and there's no way to turn it off. It's been filed as a bug/request for years and never addressed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Maguoob posted:

Mekanism Additions adds tiny mobs. I’ve only seen tiny skeletons in 1.12, but v10 may have added more.

Thank you, would never have thought to look in their configs for it.
Didn't see an option for multiple creeper babies, will have to just browse through other configs.

I do like the fact you can turn off random illager raids now.
Always hated having to deal with that.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Whats the hot hosting service these days for modded minecraft? Looking to host some Heavens of Sorcery for like 5-8 people (usually <4 concurrent)