Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of which, I'll Cheer On My Yuri Onee-san got an epilogue of sorts: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/living_together_as_adults

It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yuri onee-san still might be one of the most jarring things i've ever read for how bad a mismatch its gimmick was, how fast it dropped it and how immediately better it got when it dropped it

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

yuri onee-san still might be one of the most jarring things i've ever read for how bad a mismatch its gimmick was, how fast it dropped it and how immediately better it got when it dropped it

Gimmick?

I just remember it being a kid has a gay older sister, not really a gimmick.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what colonel is referring to as a gimmick is the pov being from the kid, not the idea of having a gay sister

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Still Sick is absolutely some of the best I've ever read, period.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the premise of it being a yuri manga from the perspective of a girl's younger brother. until it, stopped being from the perspective of the younger brother. and then the younger brother appeared like three times in the back half. the younger brother, is the gimmick.

the whole younger brother thing just kind of did not really function to its benefit at all and i think them not even being mentioned in the follow up twitter comic kinda reflects that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i too love still sick and sad it is over

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i'm to this day flabbergasted by the fuss over that manga. it never 'dropped the gimmick' or w/e. it's a short story where a little brother tells his sister to go for it and then she goes for it. it's not a vn told from the perspective of a male narrator. we see introspection from both the girls. not what a male pov is. in the first chapter there's scenes where its just the girls at high school, then we see them with the bro after. in the last chapter, same thing. where is the gimmick being dropped

there were zero gendered expectations from anyone in the cast, it was just cute and sweet.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
pretty sure the creator just wanted to draw girls kiss and draw a boy in cat ears when he goes to the amusement park

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this conversation is going to be as boring as that manga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space why are you talking about 'male pov' and 'gendered expectations' when colonel didnt mention anything like that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think you might be projecting dynasty comments onto colonel just saying the character didnt really work

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
New Collectors!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

UP AND ADAM posted:

New Collectors!

huh

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/collectors_ch18

Noob

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

wtf why are you calling me a noob i know what it is i was just saying huh that it was back :cry:

e: last chapter of pet stalker
https://mangadex.org/title/37370
still disappointed this series went in the least interesting direction

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i just don't think the brother was really written into scenes very well, i don't like dislike that he existed as a concept but he was never the core of anything very interesting about it. felt too one note

i guess i could've worded my complaints better

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 28, 2020

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Snooze Cruise posted:

wtf why are you calling me a noob i know what it is i was just saying huh that it was back :cry:

e: last chapter of pet stalker
https://mangadex.org/title/37370
still disappointed this series went in the least interesting direction

I need a BIG huh for that. I love it and Nishi Uko's other works so much

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

I think you might be projecting dynasty comments onto colonel just saying the character didnt really work

sorry yeah i was looking at that stuff and ended up conflating it with replying to colonel. shouldn't have brought it up

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Collectors is completely published, it's just waiting on scanlation for like a handful of chapters + omake - so I need it to be done, or a time machine, so I can read it.
Also, there's only a single untranslated oneshot in the Couleur de bijoux d'amour collection, and it's called 'the OL cafe', so I can't read that either :cry:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 28, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

yeah i just don't think the brother was really written into scenes very well, i don't like dislike that he existed as a concept but he was never the core of anything very interesting about it. felt too one note

i guess i could've worded my complaints better

I agree when you put it like that, yeah. Gimmick has a negative connotation imo, that makes it sound like it was somehow bad from the conception.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Horimiya isn't bad, little weird at points but not bad. Also I appreciate how many thing I have just deeply enjoyed reading and will never EVER admit to anyone I ever read.

Side note: I would admit to reading Horimiya. There are.... others

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Side note: I would admit to reading Horimiya. There are.... others
What, like manga with handholding?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

What, like manga with handholding?

I feel slandered. Don't dox me

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I really liked Horimiya for a while but it feels like it's been spinning its wheels for a long time. I don't really think it's funny or cute enough to survive on episodic chapters and it's been years since any kind of ongoing plotline

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I find Horimiya just very...pleasant. It's never gotten bad or anything, and it feels like most of the major plot development happened years ago, but it usually still delivers a, well, pleasant story each time (even if I can barely tell some of the characters apart).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I find Horimiya just very...pleasant. It's never gotten bad or anything, and it feels like most of the major plot development happened years ago, but it usually still delivers a, well, pleasant story each time (even if I can barely tell some of the characters apart).

Yes. This was my take on it as well. It was enjoyable and I enjoyed every characters interactions but I did wonder where it was going.

Now I'm off to try and find more random stuff to read. I do especially enjoy the whole looks like one thing acts completely different trope you run into in a lot of these

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I've had enough with the handholding meme. Let it perish!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
b-b-but lesbians just want to hold each other's hands!

with their thighs.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

infantilizing wlw relationships ftl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aurora posted:

I think it's okay if people like cute stuff that isn't explicitly sexual. :shrug:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

go away cuntellectual

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gutter Owl posted:

b-b-but lesbians just want to hold each other's hands!

with their thighs.

hwy thar isnt funny to ralk about there is a reaon i trpe with onw hanf

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Acerbatus posted:

I think it's okay if people like cute stuff that isn't explicitly sexual. :shrug:

what does this have to do with the meme of joking about women holding hands being lewd

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
the handholding meme is also just kind of played out and not very funny anymore

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

what does this have to do with the meme of joking about women holding hands being lewd

Because... That isn't the meme? It's two people holding hands, period.

I'm pretty sure horimiya isn't even yuri.

Aurora posted:

go away cuntellectual

You first.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 29, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoubleDonut posted:

I really liked Horimiya for a while but it feels like it's been spinning its wheels for a long time. I don't really think it's funny or cute enough to survive on episodic chapters and it's been years since any kind of ongoing plotline
Horimiya ended at the proposal. Everything past that has been side stories that don't advance the main plot because the main plot is done, and I'm fine with that. But if you feel it's listless or aimless, that's probably why.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Because... That isn't the meme? It's two people holding hands, period.
the joke is reacting to handholding like its sexual or the furthest a relationship can go. i get that its a joke, but its played out and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aurora posted:

I get what you're saying, so I'll try to not make such jokes about it in the future.
For what little it's worth though, part of the reason I like the joke is that it's just so stupid, considering my most-preferred type manga are the ones that feature sex but where it isn't explicitly done for titillation like in the case of a lot of hentai - but rather, where it's just included because sex between consenting adults in various relationships is a perfectly natural thing.
Thank you for coming to my ted talk.