Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
I played the Hitman 2 demo/"first" "level" last night and it seemed pretty fun but the content delivery model made my rear end extremely red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hitman 2 iirc includes Hitman (no subtitle) 1, which was outright episodic, though they ditched that for the sequel.

You can turn off all that tutorial and guide bullshit btw.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The codex narrator from Mass Effect 1 needs to do more narration work but for nasa.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

you are likely never going to be impressed by graphics again. they have hit a wall of diminishing returns

counterpoint: Paper Mario: The Origami King looks fantastic

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ELI PORTER posted:

Which open world game is Crystal Pepsi

Thief, but they're not really open world so much as open level I guess.

Sort of like how Crystal pepsi isn't really a soft drink and more of a meme in a bottle.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Your fancy rear end rig isn't quite a total waste yet since Hitman is pretty system intensive for rendering a large and very crowded map full of NPCs the entire time. I don't think it's going to get a Switch port. (A pity, since 47 would be hilarious in Smash)

And before you say dude in a suit with a gun would be out of place in Smash Bros, back in the N64 days they actually tried to get James Bond in it

Hitman 2 actually has a simulation quality slider in the settings that requires up to 8 cores, may add NPCs to crowds and adds much more convincing spatial audio as you, say, walk out of a building into a noisy street and then begin to hear an interesting conversation over the din. It's not earth shattering at this stage but it's a nice add. I wouldn't be surprised to see more settings like that in open world games, to support busier and more convincing public spaces, better traffic, etc. now that there are going to be consoles with real CPUs inside them.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And before you say dude in a suit with a gun would be out of place in Smash Bros, back in the N64 days they actually tried to get James Bond in it

James Who?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The codex narrator from Mass Effect 1 needs to do more narration work but for nasa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The best Saints row 3 mission is at the end when Bonnie Tyler starts playing and you get to be a goddamn hero

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SR1 is Raw
SR2 is Coming to America
SR3 is The Nutty Professor
SR4 is The Adventures of Pluto Nash

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I liked both SR3 and 4 but neither one is an essential game to remember or replay.

Freespace though... RIP Volition

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

GTA3 is coca-cola and GTA4 is a water bottle of warm piss with "REFRESHING" written on the side in sharpie

this but refreshing is impeccably written in the coca cola font

!Klams posted:

Oh ok then, here's an actually controversial opinion: I thought Saints Row 3 was poo poo. It had moments of brilliance, parachuting or whatever it was into the base to 'Power' by Kanye was excellent, and ... uhm... probably other stuff, but like, the plot would just randomly jump?

nah this is right, the story wasn't very good. it's just a disjointed action movie game... think of it like final fantasy 8, where none of the sets are connected to each other but taken individually they're all exciting action scenes from very different films.

the beauty of saints row 3 is in the emergent gameplay. my best experience with it was, i had to kill some guy who was hiding out on the airport tarmac, but i guess NPCs can't pilot planes so he ran into the next closest vehicle, which was a baggage cart, and i was like "well gently caress it" and grabbed one too. he proceeded to get onto the freeway and we had a 20mph car chase as i shot at him with a crappy pea shooter pistol. the traffic behind us, keyed to the freeway speed limit, kept honking and getting pissed off and passing us.

the radio was playing william tell overture

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The game is unfinished and it didn't do a good job hiding it.

it probably didn't help that daniel dae kim, as the voice of one of the most central SR characters, got cast to do hawaii five-0 early in production

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 28, 2020

cnice
Apr 6, 2017

ELI PORTER posted:

I played the Hitman 2 demo/"first" "level" last night and it seemed pretty fun but the content delivery model made my rear end extremely red

I’ve only played Absolution and liked it a lot. The episodic model is one I never got behind and don’t own HITMAN 1 and 2 because of it. Just make a base game and dlcs.

I’ll get them once they all go on sale for cheap. I see that HITMAN 3 is coming out so hope it’s soon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

you are likely never going to be impressed by graphics again. they have hit a wall of diminishing returns

I dunno about that, NVidia adding new features to cards for ray tracing and DLSS is an approach that’s gotten some very nice results that you can’t really get by just brute forcing it by throwing more clock cycles at it. The problem is that a lot of games aren’t likely to have that baked in right away because it depends on very specific hardware that doesn’t exist on the next gen consoles. But DLSS 2.0 basically doubling performance while looking better in the PC port of Death Stranding shows there’s still a lot of headroom where you can really push things.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I don't know what the gently caress this "ray-tracing" is meant to be about but its not going to have me play any games I would otherwise not have played

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't know what the gently caress this "ray-tracing" is meant to be about but its not going to have me play any games I would otherwise not have played

:shrug: You could say that about a ton of features that have become a standard part of how games look now. Having realistically rendered light goes a long way towards making a game look a lot nicer in ways that don’t really stand out in videos or stills but work really well when you’re playing them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it looks pretty but ray tracing is going to be way more of a boon for the devs than the end consumer I think

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

DLSS 2.0 is a legit big deal but I feel like it's getting overlooked because NVidia has been overselling every little thing as a game changer for years.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

QuarkJets posted:

hi just going to start comparing video games to sugary soda drinks now, don't mind me just doing some important goon business

GTA3 is coca-cola and GTA4 is a water bottle of warm piss with "REFRESHING" written on the side in sharpie

gta 5 is can of hot piss that yells transphobic slurs when you get near it, and then people try and gaslight you when you say you didn't enjoy the experience

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The GTA series is like Alone in the Dark: It may have been the first to do something, but that doesn't make it good.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
GTA was good when it was created by DMA Design.

I love Scarface, too, but c'mon now.

e: I loved Saint's Row 2 and 4. Spraying raw sewage on unsuspecting diners never gets old.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 28, 2020

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

christmas boots posted:

I think it looks pretty but ray tracing is going to be way more of a boon for the devs than the end consumer I think

I played Quake 2 waaaay back in 1997 and enjoyed it; the base game is a lot of fun to play. The fact that I can play it again, but fully ray traced on my home computer, is astonishing.

I hope that developers keep making fun games but avoid using ray tracing as a crutch.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ray tracing is the first time a consumer has "needed" a serious card upgrade in years.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

I hope that developers keep making fun games but avoid using ray tracing as a crutch.

It'll be a gimmick for years until studios that actually know what their doing start to implement it well, just like every other major shift in graphics.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

its weird to me how many people complain about 3d and vr features and say they cause headaches. most people seemed to turn off the insanely cool 3d function of the 3ds for this reason and hated the virtual boy because it caused headaches or they even get headaches from normal fps games. a lot of people say this but i dont get it, ive gotten a little dizzy from true vr but i could play 3ds for a couple hours with no problem

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Why is adding film grain a trend in modern gaming? It looks terrible. Why would I intentionally want to decrease the visual quality? The goal should be for games to mimic eyesight, not cameras.

I know it has a practical effect of hiding some graphic imperfections, but I'd rather have a sharp, clear image than a fuzzy one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the only game i ever wanted a visual filter over was way of the samurai 4, which would have been a film scratch, not grain

and a high contrast black and white kurosawa filter too yeah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

its weird to me how many people complain about 3d and vr features and say they cause headaches. most people seemed to turn off the insanely cool 3d function of the 3ds for this reason and hated the virtual boy because it caused headaches or they even get headaches from normal fps games. a lot of people say this but i dont get it, ive gotten a little dizzy from true vr but i could play 3ds for a couple hours with no problem

It's harder to notice these things when you're mostly brain dead

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

The 2ds was better in every way.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:shrug: You could say that about a ton of features that have become a standard part of how games look now. Having realistically rendered light goes a long way towards making a game look a lot nicer in ways that don’t really stand out in videos or stills but work really well when you’re playing them.

Red Dead Redemption 2 had great graphics but was a boring game to play, having the light glint off Sam's moustache hairs would not have made me have a better time

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Shibawanko posted:

low refresh rates/framerates cause motion sickness in a lot of people when they play VR/3d type stuff. modern vr headsets will generally have a high refresh rate (e.g. the first gen vive headsets have 90hz refresh, and the steam index has 120hz). frame drops in PC vr are hurl-inducing as well.

the virtual boy does about 50hz and that's one of the reasons why so many people had problems playing it - I'm not sure anyone could play that for an extended period of time without getting sick. 3DS was running 60hz but people also don't play with their eyes as close to the screen as you would with a vive/virtual boy, which is why it was more tolerable.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

the fact that you could turn the 3d off on the 3ds and every game played exactly the same proved that, like everything nintendo does, it was just a gimmick sell more of them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

The 3DS stuff never gave me headaches but it straight up didn’t work for me because my stereoscopic vision is weird and it’s weird in that same way for like 10-15 percent of the population. So when I actually bought my own i saved the money and got a 2DS.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 had great graphics but was a boring game to play, having the light glint off Sam's moustache hairs would not have made me have a better time

I’m just saying it’s not like people are going to buy games because it says ray tracing on the box, but it’s gonna make a big difference in how games look from now on, and for the better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

the fact that you could turn the 3d off on the 3ds and every game played exactly the same proved that, like everything nintendo does, it was just a gimmick sell more of them

quote:

the fact that you could turn the resolution down and every game will play exactly the same proves that, like everything nerds hype does, resolutions above 760p are just a gimmick sell more stuff

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

3D Land had like 3 levels where the 3D was necessary to judge jumps correctly (because they employed perspective tricks) and that's it. But you could also make the case that some games would play identically without color, or sound. 3D can be an important part of the presentation without effecting the gameplay - it's integral to the look of A Link Between Worlds, for instance

(I'm slightly mad at myself for ripping on Halo Infinite's presentation so much, I spend years proselytizing about the need to scale back graphics budgets to restore variety on the market, then pull this poo poo when I'm not served enough triangles in locked 4k60)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

real-time raytracing on consumer level hardware is pretty insane and only going to get better. it's a huge step up in terms of graphics and doesn't have a close comparison to other improvements in recent years.

reflection, refraction, global illumination, etc., through rasterization have gotten pretty OK nowadays through tricks, but being able to just simulate it accurately in real time through raytracing is going to be crazy good down the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PmuDtwC-I

especially now that the major consumer graphics hardware companies are making cards that support it at scale, it's only going to get faster and cheaper and better.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There are lights in my PS2 games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Those aren't comparable statements at all.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

It'll be a gimmick for years until studios that actually know what their doing start to implement it well, just like every other major shift in graphics.

Every major shift in graphics in the last 15 years has been a gimmick just to hype up new hardware.
All the chip design and hard number-crunchy programming that goes into making new graphics techniques like raytracing work is really impressive from a technical perspective
but it doesn't really make the games better games.

It doesn't help that all the devs that are obsessed with new graphics technologies are also obsessed with "photorealism", which is the most boring possible graphical style.

Like look at this video:

piratepilates posted:

real-time raytracing on consumer level hardware is pretty insane and only going to get better. it's a huge step up in terms of graphics and doesn't have a close comparison to other improvements in recent years.

reflection, refraction, global illumination, etc., through rasterization have gotten pretty OK nowadays through tricks, but being able to just simulate it accurately in real time through raytracing is going to be crazy good down the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PmuDtwC-I

especially now that the major consumer graphics hardware companies are making cards that support it at scale, it's only going to get faster and cheaper and better.

They toggle raytracing effects on and off in each of the shots and yeah it looks different but not really different enough to be worth caring about. If I was playing a game and that raytracing feature turned itself off one day, I wouldn't even notice it was off to go into the menu and turn it back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ray tracing is a lot less time consuming than traditional methods though, isn't it? For developers this should be a major time saver