Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

Tuesday!

Also

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

It took a lot of craigslist scouring and a few hours in the machine shop to get the whispbars cut down to fit and still adjust properly, but I finally got a roof rack sorted. Pumped.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nice, bikes on BMWs gang

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guinness posted:

Nice, bikes on BMWs gang

Aww yeah.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I need to get around to drilling holes in my roof so I can do a rack. I've been so inactive that it hasn't been a priority.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Guinness posted:

Nice, bikes on BMWs gang

Dang, I miss my e46. It was paid off and I should have dropped the $1k on it that it needed and kept it as a second car rather than selling it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Dang, I miss my e46. It was paid off and I should have dropped the $1k on it that it needed and kept it as a second car rather than selling it.

I’m contemplating a new, more utilitarian car and I’m torn on whether to keep the e46 “forever” or not. I’ve had it almost 10 years and it’s been fantastic and I’ve pushed the limits of its practicality, which are much higher than one might expect.

It’s not in perfect shape but overall it is pretty good and I have a pretty good history on it, and I feel like I’d regret selling it. It’s no M3 but it’s still a drat fine driver’s car on the road (330 & 6MT).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah why sell it?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah why sell it?

Garage space and saving a few bucks, but it’s really not costing me much despite being a nearly 20 year old, 120k+ mile BMW.

But I’ll likely hang on to it for a while!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah why sell it?
For me, there were several factors.

At the time, I had a second vehicle - a '17 VW GTI. The e46 was an auto, and the cars I had alongside it were 6-speeds (the GTI and an e86 M before that), and it really made me wish the e46 was a stick because they were more fun to drive. It was 100k miles and counting, which wasn't much but it was starting to have some engine problems. The headliner and pillar fabric was sagging, the window moldings were falling apart. Generally a lot of little things that were a small pain in the rear end individually, but added together just made me think "meh" about the car.

After I got rid of it, and my GTI went back off lease and I got into Jeeps, it made me wish I still had it. Current plan is once the 'rona leaves and work picks back up, to get into an e46 M3.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
All these tasty pics...I miss my e46 330d with a stick. It was only like 5 years old
Literally just finished building it aaaand it was taken away by local 'IRS' kind of thing due to an error in their books.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Absolutely loving how far back you can stack the rack on these long roof jobbies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

glyph posted:

Absolutely loving how far back you can stack the rack on these long roof jobbies.

its amazing how good the e61 looks compared to the dogshit gently caress rear end e60

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i was just thinking it looks like a fat golf variant

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Current plan is once the 'rona leaves and work picks back up, to get into an e46 M3.
That's a solid plan. Do that.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
I'm thinking about making a really stupid decision. Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm going to buy a new (to me) car soon. So far what I want is rather nebulous" RWD, "fun", relatively comfortable, made within the last decade. The newest car I've ever owned is my current '88 e24, so...basically anything made in the last 10 years is probably going to feel like a rocket ship in comparison, but I want some input on HOW loving stupid these current ideas are.
I'm trying to keep the budget low, so here we go. In order of what I think is least to most idiotic: 230i, M235i, 987.2 Cayman, Alfa Romero Guilia Ti.

I'll post in the Porsche thread about the Cayman as well, but I wanted to know what the thought are about the M235i, and the 230i. I mean, is the former a world of pain? Is the 230i a world of boredom? Is there a better option that I'm not even looking at?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I have a 228i and it’s really fun. It reminds me a lot of the e46 I had.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jackie the Mick posted:

Is there a better option that I'm not even looking at?

The M2 Competition is widely regarded as one of, if not the, finest automobiles to be made in the past 3 years.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I rented a 230i and found it clinical, stale, and boring.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The M2 Competition is widely regarded as one of, if not the, finest automobiles to be made in the past 3 years.

That's a very specific period of time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

find a nice 128

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

find a nice 128

Or a 135i if you want a turbo :getin:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

E 9 X 3 2 8

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rscott posted:

Or a 135i if you want a turbo :getin:
(you don't)

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

This post is solid guidance. Try to get a spin in RWD if you can.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Have u considered an M3 my good friend

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Why buy one newer car when you could buy 8 e36s?

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
M2 Comp: Any of these for sale for less than, say, $25k? Ha. If so, sure. Or a 981 Cayman in the same budget? I'd totally take either one in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even care about color or options at that price.

M3: I think there are probably SOME E9x M3's that would fit the initial budget, but finding a good example may be difficult. My wife lusts after them though, so I suppose I will have to put it on the list...even if it may be pretty far up on the "loving stupid decision" scale.

So, 230i is boring? Anyone else have an option on these?

Recommendations of a 128i (I've heard the manual versions are about as close to the BMWs I'm used to in feel, so that is interesting...if one can be found) or E9x 328i.

Any opinions about the M235i? Is it objectively terribly to live with/maintain?

User Error posted:

This basically illustrates my car buying ethos of the last 20 years...I'm trying something new (figuratively and literally).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Have u considered an M3 my good friend

i like your thoughts but an M5 provides 66% more M

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the most modern "classic BMW" you can get is a 128 slicktop with a manual, but good luck ever finding one.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I guess if he wanted something as slow as the 80s BMWs he's been driving an E92 328i would be perfect

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

User Error posted:

New thread title/title of my memoir.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jackie the Mick posted:

M2 Comp: Any of these for sale for less than, say, $25k? Ha. If so, sure. Or a 981 Cayman in the same budget? I'd totally take either one in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even care about color or options at that price.

M3: I think there are probably SOME E9x M3's that would fit the initial budget, but finding a good example may be difficult. My wife lusts after them though, so I suppose I will have to put it on the list...even if it may be pretty far up on the "loving stupid decision" scale.

So, 230i is boring? Anyone else have an option on these?

Recommendations of a 128i (I've heard the manual versions are about as close to the BMWs I'm used to in feel, so that is interesting...if one can be found) or E9x 328i.

Any opinions about the M235i? Is it objectively terribly to live with/maintain?

This basically illustrates my car buying ethos of the last 20 years...I'm trying something new (figuratively and literally).

If you're spending $25k on the car there's plenty of E9x M3 options in that range. The M235i is objectively terrible if you've ever been in an M3, but it is Newer even if it's much less Fast Loud Good or Cool.
https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e90-e92-m3/

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

rscott posted:

I guess if he wanted something as slow as the 80s BMWs he's been driving an E92 328i would be perfect

Truth. I like my E91 but it is not fast at all.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Dear BMW thread, define fast kkplzty

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Mentally, my threshold is if I can get dropped by a new Camry from a stop light my car is not fast.

Now cue a long argument about fast v. quick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A Camry will run like a 5.8 these days

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

128i with a manual is rarer than hen's teeth.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I find that Nissan Maxima drivers most often have something to prove when stop light drag racing.

I got spanked in the E38 by a C63 the other day. I really hate the exhaust sound of newer high-performance cars these days. Excepting maybe the LS motors and anything >8 cylinders. I’m guessing it’s a combo of direct injection and turbos that makes them sound blatty and flat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Big Taint posted:

I really hate the exhaust sound of newer high-performance cars these days. Excepting maybe the LS motors and anything >8 cylinders. I’m guessing it’s a combo of direct injection and turbos that makes them sound they are just blatty and flat?

this