Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

PCjr sidecar posted:

Similar boat; I think I landed on Kitchenaid but I’m waiting for a deal via Costco for the 4 year extended warranty.

As someone else said, you'll always find someone with a bad experience with a brand/model, and that person is me for the KitchenAid fridge, but it's totally anecdotal so ymmv. I ended up with that brand because I wanted something with minimal computer-y stuff (no wifi), side-by-side freezer/fridge, counter depth, and ice/water dispensing through the door. KitchenAid had a model that fit those constraints, and seemed to have fewer bad reviews than the other big brands, but it also had fewer total reviews and models.

I basically had issues with the ice maker from day one. Every few weeks it would just stop making ice for several days (I would hear the thing try to send water to the ice tray but nothing was flowing). I'm guessing the line would freeze or something, but there was no obvious way to fix it and I was dumb and didn't get it looked at while still under warranty, so that part of the equation is on me. After about 2 years that seemed to mostly sort itself out and now it only happens once every couple months and for shorter periods of time, never long enough to where we run out of ice in the bucket (which often happened before). But it's still weird and really shouldn't have been happening on a brand new appliance.

The biggest issue was that the compressor and fan stopped working a little after 2 years, and the repair ended up costing about $600. Plus the whole non-functioning fridge/freezer for a few days.

Then a few months ago, the through-door ice dispenser stopped working. I can't find any obvious fix, but it just grinds the gear for rotating the blades in the dispenser when I try to engage it. I don't want to sink anymore money into it at this point, since I can easily just grab ice from inside, so I'm letting it go.

Maybe this experience isn't all that abnormal for owning a fridge (it's the first one I've owned), but having all those issues with a less than 4 year old fridge means I probably won't personally go for that brand again. That being said, if you get a better warranty (I'm trying to remember, and at least some of the parts may have still been covered, but labour wasn't for sure) you might have a better time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Your truck is cool. What’s its story?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sold my townhouse in Denver over the weekend, was on the market 3 days, had 11 showings, got 2 offers, played them against each other and ended up $3k over asking price with no concessions. All I have to do is pass inspection with nothing to repair and it's done.

I'm buying my dad's house in Oregon that we built together (sort of) in the 80's, where I lived from 7th grade through sophomore year of college. It's big, has a big lot, and it's going to be a lot more work. Not looking forward to that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DNK posted:

Your truck is cool. What’s its story?

It's the current sideshow in my project thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864300&pagenumber=6&perpage=40

The short version is it is a 1972 International, 4x4. And it was purchased new in Evergreen Colorado, was given to a neighborhood kid as payment for helping by the 90yr old former farmer in 2011, and I bought it as a practical project vehicle. The number of bolts I haven't removed is in the single digits by now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My neighbors are replacing their A/C unit that was running drat near 24/7 and gave off loud pulsing hums audible everywhere but my kitchen. So long as the new unit sounds like a normal A/C unit, my home life is about to noticeably improve and I don’t have to lift a finger.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Structural engineer is going to take a look at my foundation to check for issues relating to some ceiling cracks, creaky floors, busted windows, etc. He's charging 300 bucks for a 2 hour consult. Does that seem reasonable?

The other 3 I reached out to just said they're booked through 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bioshuffle posted:

Wait. You can order speed queens from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WK4FY3X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_x4KhFbQ5FESQP

How does that even work? I need to look into this. If they will install it for Yo, u I'm sold.

You are ordering on Amazon, but you are not ordering from Amazon. That is an external seller, with mediocre at best ratings. https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...0KC6J&sshmPath=

I usually strongly avoid external sellers on Amazon for pretty much everything, and this is an obvious Avoid to me.

There's a way to set the sidebar to only show listings sold by Amazon after you search for something.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Structural engineer is going to take a look at my foundation to check for issues relating to some ceiling cracks, creaky floors, busted windows, etc. He's charging 300 bucks for a 2 hour consult. Does that seem reasonable?

Yes, I think that’s reasonable

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Civil/Structural engineer checking in. That's actually a really good rate if it's in a city. Most of the time I was billed for 250/hr with clients and probably 300 now that I have 10 years of experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That seems like a huge bargain, especially given the stories of construction adjacent gouging going on near you. You made sure they're licensed right? :v:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Anyone here ever use one of those 3 bladed replacement heads for a string trimmer that I see ads for? The look awesome but I don't know anyone who uses one and I'm wondering if there's a reason why...

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

therobit posted:

Anyone here ever use one of those 3 bladed replacement heads for a string trimmer that I see ads for? The look awesome but I don't know anyone who uses one and I'm wondering if there's a reason why...

Two bids in for ~20k for the sewer. One said they might save 2k doing a trenchless pipe burst but can't guarantee they can run the pipe without getting bellies (ie maintaining consistent grading).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

therobit posted:

I had a couple of plastic ones for my old Ryobi trimmer. I used them to go after some vines and they worked OK. The ends of the blades tended to snap off, so each one lasted for approximately two "sessions" of hacking at stuff. But keep in mind I was definitely also smashing them against wooden fence panels, bits of tree, rocks, and other debris, so I was being pretty hard on them.

Ultimately I think they're OK but they're trying to make your string trimmer do a job that is better suited to a different tool. If you assume they'll just do OK and not try and make them be a miniature hedge trimmer or something, go for it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I had a couple of plastic ones for my old Ryobi trimmer. I used them to go after some vines and they worked OK. The ends of the blades tended to snap off, so each one lasted for approximately two "sessions" of hacking at stuff. But keep in mind I was definitely also smashing them against wooden fence panels, bits of tree, rocks, and other debris, so I was being pretty hard on them.

Ultimately I think they're OK but they're trying to make your string trimmer do a job that is better suited to a different tool. If you assume they'll just do OK and not try and make them be a miniature hedge trimmer or something, go for it.

I definitely agree that they are trying to make the wrong tool do something it's not supposed to do, but it seems they are mostly marketed at people who simply can't learn how to wind trimmer string properly, or buy actually good trimmer string. It's not hard to teach someone, at least in person. It's definitely you-tubeable.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
My mother lives in Southern California. She wants to add my sister and me to the deed to her house to avoid probate issues if she dies. What does she need to do? About how much would this cost?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You're potentially opening up a huge can of worms by doing this and it will not result in the probate free process you think it does. Please consult an actual estate attorney in California first.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It would be easier/better to have your mother transfer the deed to a trust with you and your sister as beneficiaries of the trust. This should be pretty straightforward with the help of an attorney.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

kw0134 posted:

You're potentially opening up a huge can of worms by doing this and it will not result in the probate free process you think it does. Please consult an actual estate attorney in California first.

This this this this.

Seriously just pay a good lawyer a few hours to get this done right

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

It would be easier/better to have your mother transfer the deed to a trust with you and your sister as beneficiaries of the trust. This should be pretty straightforward with the help of an attorney.

This is how you do it in California. Seriously a few thousand dollars to prevent a % of the estate from being absorbed into attorneys fees through probate. It also means that it moves as quickly as feasible rather than relying on probate hearings and notices and bullshit. My wife used to be an estate planning attorney, she and her coworkers HATED probate even though it netted them more money. Few grand up front and on the back end, or $10k+ to unwind these dumb hijinks.

Plus if you keep the house you get the prop 13 gently caress you got mine step up in basis where you keep paying your mom's property tax bill but get your basis stepped up to the value of the house on her death. Make sure your attorney handles that correctly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ccubed posted:

My mother lives in Southern California. She wants to add my sister and me to the deed to her house to avoid probate issues if she dies. What does she need to do? About how much would this cost?

You absolutely do not want to do this, will not avoid probate court, may very well incur bizarre fees / bills to you and your sister and make yourselves liable, etc. You may also (depends on your county) incur deed transfer fees to add additional people onto the title. Talk to an estate lawyer and explain the situation. IANAL but having gone through the process in California, the lawyer will likely recommend that the home be put into a particular type of trust with you and your sister as beneficiaries. This will cost you $LawyerDollars, which depends on complexity, individual lawyer, and whether you or your mother have group legal coverage through your job benefits. For me, establishing a living will and trust for my family cost $50 through (Hilton Group?) job benefit group legal coverage. YMMV.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ccubed posted:

Talk to a lawyer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Apparently CA created a new thing in 2016 for exactly this purpose:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/change-deeds-house-after-parents-die-58277.html

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just closed on the home and spent the whole day finding all the things the inspectors missed. For example, I found out the garage door opener rail is super rattly, and it has a tendency to trigger the sensor and refuse to shut. The door to the patio needs a shim because it's sagging, and the deadbolt is literally missing a strike plate. One of the windows won't lock because the latch that the lock clicks into has sunken too low.

Anyway- to start with- which shop vac should I buy? I know someone had recommended a Rigid one, but I can't find which specific model it was. I was looking at the model from Costco, but my understanding is if I have too much vacuum it'll be too much of a hassle to carry around.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I got this one, and also bought the HEPA filter plus the vacuum bags and have been very satisfied with it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD1200/304006023 Probably my most used tool since thus far.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I got this one, and also bought the HEPA filter plus the vacuum bags and have been very satisfied with it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD1200/304006023 Probably my most used tool since thus far.

Coincidentally, the 14 gallon one seems to be on sale for the same price. Will it be too big to lug around comfortably? Which one should I get?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...D1402/312452591

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just don't be stupid like me and buy one without regular casters. And hepa filters are amazing.

White lithium will make your garage door smoother. Don't buy wd40.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Just don't be stupid like me and buy one without regular casters. And hepa filters are amazing.

White lithium will make your garage door smoother. Don't buy wd40.

I don't know poo poo about garage doors, so I have a guy coming out tomorrow. He said the estimate is free so what could be the harm.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't know poo poo about garage doors, so I have a guy coming out tomorrow. He said the estimate is free so what could be the harm.

If it's out of alignment or the spring ( :stare: ) needs calibration those guys are worth their weight in gold. Once it's fixed up, get a can of white lithium spray and twiceish plus or minus 6 months a year give every moving part a little spritz. Rollers, chain, track, hinges. Little dab will do yah. Wipe out any crud with a shop towel and toss it, lithium is gross.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

If it's out of alignment or the spring ( :stare: ) needs calibration those guys are worth their weight in gold. Once it's fixed up, get a can of white lithium spray and twiceish plus or minus 6 months a year give every moving part a little spritz. Rollers, chain, track, hinges. Little dab will do yah. Wipe out any crud with a shop towel and toss it, lithium is gross.
My initial thought was to just to anchor the rail with a screw so it would stop rattling, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a professional come out. Friend of mine had recently told me he narrowly avoided injury whole messing with a garage spring.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The structural engineers I spoke to said they have never, in their 30ish years of operation, had even 10% of the work they're getting at the moment. Everyone in the world with two nickels to rub together is doing home renovations :psyduck:

They're disconnecting phones and white listing emails so they can get work done through the all day every day requests for bids

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The structural engineers I spoke to said they have never, in their 30ish years of operation, had even 10% of the work they're getting at the moment. Everyone in the world with two nickels to rub together is doing home renovations :psyduck:

They're disconnecting phones and white listing emails so they can get work done through the all day every day requests for bids

Where?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

ccubed posted:

By doing this you will be throwing away all of the step up in basis when she dies. If she bought the house for 250k and it's now worth a million, you will be paying literally hundreds of thousands in cap gains tax. If you want to sell it ASAP, it will be at your marginal rate, and if you hold it for a year it will still be up to 15% of the gain.

If you stay off the deed, you can turn around and sell the day you inherit the house and pay exactly zero cap gains tax.

Putting you on the deed is possibly the worst mistake your mom could make in estate planning. Pay an estate lawyer to tell her not to do it and to make her a trust, which is what she needs to avoid probate.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

Coincidentally, the 14 gallon one seems to be on sale for the same price. Will it be too big to lug around comfortably? Which one should I get?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...D1402/312452591

Honestly I probably wouldn't want the extra 2 gallons, the 12gal is already pretty decent sized and when it's got a lot of debris in it can be a little challenging to lug up and down from my basement.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well to update on my roof, I had someone out to finally put down the latex covering to fix the issue. They finished only a few hours before we started a good five days of rain. It dumped a few inches overnight and no leaking so far so that's taken a lot of stress off of me now.

Now to just deal with my insurance company and try to get them to pay out. I'm for sure sending them the warranty that I had with the original installer so that they can seek to recover their losses against the previous contractor because gently caress that guy.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sirotan posted:

The hepa filters are nice I have the standard and sanding dust just goes right through it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Honestly I probably wouldn't want the extra 2 gallons, the 12gal is already pretty decent sized and when it's got a lot of debris in it can be a little challenging to lug up and down from my basement.

That makes sense. Will the extra 1 peak horsepower play a factor at all? If it's peak horsepower, it means it shouldn't matter too much, right? I wouldn't mind the additional dimensions if it meant more suction power. Does more HP = more suction? Hopefully someone who is well versed in vac can educate me on this. Looks like the 14G is 5 pounds heavier than the 12G.

I only have a fundamental understanding of electricity, but how can these vacs get so much horsepower from a residential outlet?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 31, 2020

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

My new brother-in-law does construction/restoration and volunteered to help me cold-proof my water lines that keep freezing (pipes run along the kitchen floor/ ceiling of a basement storage room but also along an outside wall). The plan was to run some heat tape along them, then wrap them in insulation and wrap that in foil tape. Yesterday we (he) opened up the wall and ceiling and found a pinhole leak that has been dripping for some time, although the only damage was a bit of drywall that was getting cut out anyway. He'll be back today to cut out the broken bit and solder in a new piece.

The leak is positioned in such a way that you can't get a bucket close enough to the wall to catch the drops, so I hung an old t-shirt on a drywall screw right underneath and that seems to be absorbing it for now. The original plan is shot because the lines run so close to joists and beams and stuff that they're almost touching and you couldn't wrap insulation around them without removing stuff. That exterior wall is completely uninsulated so he'll be spraying some insulation there and then just running the heat tape along the lines. If they freeze again this winter he'll get all fiddly in there, but really doesn't want to and I understand why.

Anyway, this guy is super handy, while I can just about put together a sandwich and not much more. I'm really grateful because he's probably saving me thousands in contractor fees and all I have to do is purchase materials and maybe buy him lunch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You should buy him lunch and if he refused send him a gift card or whatever yo something he likes. This way he'll keep wanting to help you. I do mechanic work for my friends and the ones that are like thanks man and gimme a handshake I really only want to do easy stuff for. The ones that hand me a gift card I'll work on more bullshit stuff for. A $50 gift card is a drop in the bucket compared to the extra $400 a shop will charge you to do brakes and it's a nice gesture.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

tater_salad posted:

You should buy him lunch and if he refused send him a gift card or whatever yo something he likes. This way he'll keep wanting to help you. I do mechanic work for my friends and the ones that are like thanks man and gimme a handshake I really only want to do easy stuff for. The ones that hand me a gift card I'll work on more bullshit stuff for. A $50 gift card is a drop in the bucket compared to the extra $400 a shop will charge you to do brakes and it's a nice gesture.

Or scotch/beer etc. Just depends on if you know what he's into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

tater_salad posted:

The hepa filters are nice I have the standard and sanding dust just goes right through it.

If this is more than an occasional thing for you, get a dust deputy, they're cheap and will save you from having to replace $20 filters constantly.

Fine particles like sawdust or drywall dust clog those filter super quick and ruin performance but something like a dust deputy will make sure 95% of that stuff never makes it to the filter.