Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MomJeans420 posted:

Tweet that at him at 2am on Friday night and I bet it will end up in a future Tesla

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

FMguru posted:

thermal solar is a great idea, but it just isnt going down the cost curve in the same way that photovoltaic solar is

pv solar is deployable in about a hundred times more places, and with a hundred times more flexibility of scale

even its best feature (the way that the molten salt stores heat and generates power overnight) is less of a winner given the ongoing price drops in bulk battery storage

handling the molten salt is tough - if you use metal pipes they corrode, and if you use plastic/pvc pipes they melt

How much of PV solar's (gently caress, battery capacity's) price drops are up to just us exploiting China's willingness to abuse workers, generate cheap dirty electricity and not give a poo poo about pollution to drive down manufacturing costs though?

And as difficult as thermal solar maintenance is, at least it's economically feasible instead of just starting from scratch.

I genuinely would love to know if someone's done the math. Maybe not enough to do it myself though.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

endlessmonotony posted:

How much of PV solar's (gently caress, battery capacity's) price drops are up to just us exploiting China's willingness to abuse workers, generate cheap dirty electricity and not give a poo poo about pollution to drive down manufacturing costs though?

And as difficult as thermal solar maintenance is, at least it's economically feasible instead of just starting from scratch.

I genuinely would love to know if someone's done the math. Maybe not enough to do it myself though.

Battery electric systems were all the hype for the last 5 years in governments eyes. Without subsidies and a strong public interest no company is forking the billions for prototypes and demonstrators on industrial scale.

Solar thermal power is confronted by very simplistic problems but at least in Europe there is no incentive to invest money and brain matter into solving them at the moment and Europe's green parties hate large scale energy production because it goes against the idea of the local artisan power generation on your grandma's shed, as opposed to keeping the large energy companies in the reign of the energy market.

A project like ITER for example would have hardly received European support had it been founded at this day and age and the German green party for example is actively trying to Torpedo it in parliament.

It's the same story with non battery based grid energy stabilization. Everyone knows we won't get around large scale E-fuel/hydrogen production for both mobility and grid stabilization purposes but politicians ditch the conversation about that in the current political climate because building battery banks for everything is a much simpler way of appearing green in public.

The industry has all the plans in the drawer at this point, it's just not the time to engineer the actual machines.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it would be fun if the usa (and all the economies that follow it along) could mobilize their economy again eventually like during ww2 but eh whatever

time to die i guess

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Combat Theory posted:

Battery electric systems were all the hype for the last 5 years in governments eyes. Without subsidies and a strong public interest no company is forking the billions for prototypes and demonstrators on industrial scale.

Solar thermal power is confronted by very simplistic problems but at least in Europe there is no incentive to invest money and brain matter into solving them at the moment and Europe's green parties hate large scale energy production because it goes against the idea of the local artisan power generation on your grandma's shed, as opposed to keeping the large energy companies in the reign of the energy market.

A project like ITER for example would have hardly received European support had it been founded at this day and age and the German green party for example is actively trying to Torpedo it in parliament.

It's the same story with non battery based grid energy stabilization. Everyone knows we won't get around large scale E-fuel/hydrogen production for both mobility and grid stabilization purposes but politicians ditch the conversation about that in the current political climate because building battery banks for everything is a much simpler way of appearing green in public.

The industry has all the plans in the drawer at this point, it's just not the time to engineer the actual machines.

"and after the batteries are no longer suited for cars they can be repurposed into municipal power storage"

:barf:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Where they suddenly stop to age and degrade obviously.

Berlin needs 1.5 Gigawatt of mean power to sustain itself. Just run the numbers on what kind of battery you would need to power a City and then how long said battery will last before degrading past it's usage.

All that while not having a unified battery architecture, voltage, amperage, communications protocol, geometry and an unverified history of the individual accumulators

Good stuff.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

what do you need it for

want

Nitr0 posted:

it looks so cool why'd they have to call it a mustang dang nabbit.

edit: it's 71k cad for the only proper package which is premium awd extended range. $71k for a ford that's not a truck? no way jose.

yeah the mustang badging is dumb but i just watched the ken tune video with him driving the über mach e (i’m calling it the mach e) and i guess ford is taking the badge seriously at least

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Combat Theory posted:

"We could solve this problem but it's never the right time until it's too late."

Heard that one before.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

You are acting like the executive companies decide what gets subsidized and what not. Why should a company seeking Profit invest billions into a technology now that is not subsidized when it can make money with a simpler, established technology? Are you blaming people for preventing a company from going broke or commiting fraud in order to cook the books? In the Tesla thread?

E: or to bring it back to a technology argument

If I was Audi (who currently holds the tech for commercial power to gas production together with a large energy company) and decided to fully fund a demo facility that turns excess power into regenerative methane, accumulates it and burns it in order to produce power in time of demand, I would actually have to pay for the emitted CO2 under current legislation due to the way emissions are counted despite the whole operation being co2 neutral

Why the hell would I (Audi) set my plans into action at this point and go die on a environmentally friendly hill that no one will even notice

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 29, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

yippee cahier posted:

where are you on a worldwide grid?
42.0N, 69E

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Combat Theory posted:

You are acting like the executive companies decide what gets subsidized and what not. Why should a company seeking Profit invest billions into a technology now that is not subsidized when it can make money with a simpler, established technology? Are you blaming people for preventing a company from going broke or commiting fraud in order to cook the books? In the Tesla thread?

E: or to bring it back to a technology argument

If I was Audi (who currently holds the tech for commercial power to gas production together with a large energy company) and decided to fully fund a demo facility that turns excess power into regenerative methane, accumulates it and burns it in order to produce power in time of demand, I would actually have to pay for the emitted CO2 under current legislation due to the way emissions are counted despite the whole operation being co2 neutral

Why the hell would I (Audi) set my plans into action at this point and go die on a environmentally friendly hill that no one will even notice

A bit more general a we.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Glorgnole posted:

solar FREAKIN roadways!!!

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-world-s-first-solar-road-has-turned-out-to-be-a-disappointing-failure

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

if we got off our rear end and got our grid on HVDC we could put solar thermal plants in a few worthless corners of southwest states and generate enough power to run the entire nation for free forever, including transmission losses

sorry, love the ac

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

endlessmonotony posted:

almost all of the drop in costs of pv solar and li-ion batteries are related to the experience curve - increasing returns to scale and growing efficiencies as volume ramps up. the more solar panels you make, the more it makes sense to invest in (and develop) machines to make them more efficiently, the bigger (and more efficient) the factories you can justify building, the more effort you put in to wiggling out inefficiencies in your processes, and so on.

solar panels have their own version of moore's law, called swanson's law: the price of solar photovoltaic modules tends to drop 20 percent for every doubling of cumulative shipped volume

labor costs have almost nothing to do with it. chinas underpaid labor force is more or less the same as it was ten years ago, yet the costs of solar panels have dropped almost 90% in that time. i dont think workers in china are earning one-tenth of what they did a decade ago

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

FMguru posted:

handling the molten salt is tough - if you use metal pipes they corrode, and if you use plastic/pvc pipes they melt

have you considered just using rocks?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jimmy Carter posted:

have you considered just using rocks?

this was actually my thought but lazier: just pour it into a big ole granite bath. Pool covering optional.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

sorry, love the ac
if you like your alternating current, you can keep it

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

sorry, love the ac

bold to defend Tesla in this of all threads

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it has a big iPad on the dash

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

it has a big iPad on the dash

yeah i know. that part sucks

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

they also copied the lack of manual door release in the back seats. very original

they did add a backup battery for it though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Spatial posted:

they also copied the lack of manual door release in the back seats. very original

they did add a backup battery for it though

How much drain could the little thing that goes "beep beep beep" need that it has to be on it's own battery?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The great thing about Tesla isn't that they gently caress up, it's that fixing that gently caress up can be borderline impossible. I got a new car last December and had an issue getting my plates in the mail, it took a 3 minute phone call to the dealer and the problem was resolved.

https://twitter.com/twcarey/status/1288570235281240064?s=20

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
just talk to elon, he'll set things right

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
she only likes car

she should love car

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"Yes," I said, "you LIKE the car."

"For the love of memes, Elontresor!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of memes!"

But to these words I hearkened in vain for a reply. I grew impatient. I called aloud --

"Theresa!"

No answer. I called again --

"Theresa!"

No answer still. I thrust an LED through the remaining panel gap and let it fall within. There came forth in return only a farting of the seat. My heart grew sick; it was the dampness of the Gigafactory that made it so. I hastened to make an end of my labour. I forced the last window into its position; I rolled it up. Against the flaky paint job I re-erected the old rampart of bazingas. For the half of a century no mortal has disturbed them. In Tesla requiescat!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

gschmidl posted:

"Yes," I said, "you LIKE the car."

"For the love of memes, Elontresor!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of memes!"

But to these words I hearkened in vain for a reply. I grew impatient. I called aloud --

"Theresa!"

No answer. I called again --

"Theresa!"

No answer still. I thrust an LED through the remaining panel gap and let it fall within. There came forth in return only a farting of the seat. My heart grew sick; it was the dampness of the Gigafactory that made it so. I hastened to make an end of my labour. I forced the last window into its position; I rolled it up. Against the flaky paint job I re-erected the old rampart of bazingas. For the half of a century no mortal has disturbed them. In Tesla requiescat!
Excellent.

I think 'science' might be better for 'memes'. Or maybe roko.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
the cask of elontillado

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

in any functioning society the bank would have told the car company to go pound sand when they asked for the second loan.

but i guess being a developing nation with iphones and electric vehicles is just requires some sacrifices

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
what kind of pleb doesn’t buy two model y? one for you one for the wife.

love the car

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

what kind of pleb doesn’t buy two model y? one for you one for the wife.

love the car

tesla: love the car and hate your wife

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CampingCarl posted:

Excellent.

I think 'science' might be better for 'memes'. Or maybe roko.

drat, you're right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Seems like this GBS thread is relevant...

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
A little off topic, but I'm surprised that Elon hasn't been talking up space solar. A giant solar plant in a polar orbit beaming the energy back to earth seems like it'd proper scratch his space/supervillain itch, and it's a less obviously stupid idea than solar roadways

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

A little off topic, but I'm surprised that Elon hasn't been talking up space solar. A giant solar plant in a polar orbit beaming the energy back to earth seems like it'd proper scratch his space/supervillain itch, and it's a less obviously stupid idea than solar roadways

i remember thinking this was a good idea after reading about it in some scifi book but having what is essentially a giant death ray pointing at the planet is probably a difficult thing to get around.

I think the idea was to use some super high frequency em in a narrow beam to avoid cloud attenuation and so that if you got off target it would attenuate out enough from the angle to not be a literal ion cannon, but rip any birds that got close.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
you could build those in Sim City 2000 and their failure mode was great

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i remember thinking this was a good idea after reading about it in some scifi book but having what is essentially a giant death ray pointing at the planet is probably a difficult thing to get around.

I think the idea was to use some super high frequency em in a narrow beam to avoid cloud attenuation and so that if you got off target it would attenuate out enough from the angle to not be a literal ion cannon, but rip any birds that got close.

Also battes and other buggos.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

The great thing about Tesla isn't that they gently caress up, it's that fixing that gently caress up can be borderline impossible. I got a new car last December and had an issue getting my plates in the mail, it took a 3 minute phone call to the dealer and the problem was resolved.

https://twitter.com/twcarey/status/1288570235281240064?s=20

she has a blue check, so elon *might* actually get it taken care of for her

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

he probably hasn't played that simcity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he probably hasn't played that simcity

the Thunderbird’s remake has an episode with one of these, seems more his speed