Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nitrousoxide posted:

Thanks, these are helpful.

I'm an amateur radio operator so I have access to some pretty effective radios that I always bring out with me. So I'm not super concerned about not being able to contact people. It's definitely bulkier and heavier than handheld satellite communicator though.

I hadn't thought about some of those dual uses for the drugs or doubling up on NSAIDs and Tylenol if needed. Those are good suggestions.

It's obviously pretty unbearably hot right now but I'll definitely make sure to include some additional cold weather gear as necessary when it gets cooler.

Weather turns remarkably fast, especially if folks in your party are unprepared for all possibilities. And are wearing cotton.

I always carry a spare artificial down jacket and an emergency blanket is in the first aid kit.

Not sure how or where you are hiking but radio in the mountains can be sketchy depending on frequency, atmospheric conditions, and direction, which I assume you know. My little Garmin inReach mini rarely loses satellite connectivity. It was well worth the price (Russian hackers notwithstanding)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

If you shop around you can get a PLB for under $100, and they have single button operation, will directly notify the relevant rescue people, and will give them your location. This sounds much better than trying to explain to whoever happens to be listening that a bear ate your foot or whatever. Plus it will actually work in mountains, canyons, etc, has much better battery life, much smaller, much lighter, less likely to break etc.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bilirubin posted:

Weather turns remarkably fast, especially if folks in your party are unprepared for all possibilities. And are wearing cotton.

I always carry a spare artificial down jacket and an emergency blanket is in the first aid kit.

Not sure how or where you are hiking but radio in the mountains can be sketchy depending on frequency, atmospheric conditions, and direction, which I assume you know. My little Garmin inReach mini rarely loses satellite connectivity. It was well worth the price (Russian hackers notwithstanding)

Yep, that's what a HF radio and skywave orientated antenna are for, so I can communicate with people out of LOS, but still in the US rather than halfway around the world.

You'd be surprised how you can communicate with people a thousand miles away on just a 5 or 10 watt HF radio with the right antenna.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Thanks, these are helpful.

I'm an amateur radio operator so I have access to some pretty effective radios that I always bring out with me. So I'm not super concerned about not being able to contact people. It's definitely bulkier and heavier than handheld satellite communicator though.

I hadn't thought about some of those dual uses for the drugs or doubling up on NSAIDs and Tylenol if needed. Those are good suggestions.

It's obviously pretty unbearably hot right now but I'll definitely make sure to include some additional cold weather gear as necessary when it gets cooler.

What radio are you backpacking with?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I really want to get into amateur radio. I got the technician study book but man that's long. I'm too lazy to study. :( I'd love to take a radio into the woods and just play around with trying to listen to people all over. Right now I just have a cheap Baofang with a slightly longer antenna. I want more!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If I'm going to be in range of a repeater and don't need over the horizon capabilities,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R7LXR7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_G5JhFbK7DV3DV

Which is IP67 water resistant, good enough for a rain storm. Cheap as hell to replace too if needed. I also pack along a cable to connect it to my phone so I can do digital modes on it like APRS, which is also useful for getting weather updates by directing the packet to WXBOT, and scanning the APRS frequency, 144.390, for 15 minutes is a great way to see which repeaters you can contact, since pretty much all of them broadcast their r and x frequencies on APRS packets every few minutes.

Icom has some IP7 (fully submergible) ham radios as well that I might get once I'm done adding to my kit.

I'd really like to get the ICOM 705 for the hf stuff. But for now in eastern PA, at the places I go, I'm within range of a repeater, since the clubs out here put up towers in the parks.

If I head out to middle PA deep in the Appalachian mountains, I'll either need to add an HF radio or a PLB to my kit. If the 705 isn't available in the next few months I might go with the KX2 from Elecraft

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I really want to get into amateur radio. I got the technician study book but man that's long. I'm too lazy to study. :( I'd love to take a radio into the woods and just play around with trying to listen to people all over. Right now I just have a cheap Baofang with a slightly longer antenna. I want more!

I really recommend it. The technician test is actually quite easy. Read the technician study book through once and then start doing flashcards with something like anki Droid if you have an Android phone.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2113417210

Here is the study cards I used.

I did that for about a week and knocked out all the questions. And then took some practice exams on https://hamexam.org/.

When I got 90% on three consecutive tests I went and signed up for an exam. They're available online now so you don't have to go in person.

https://hamstudy.org/sessions

I got a 100% in my exam.

rinse and repeat the operation for the general if you want to continue on to be able to use high frequency bands.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yep, that's what a HF radio and skywave orientated antenna are for, so I can communicate with people out of LOS, but still in the US rather than halfway around the world.

You'd be surprised how you can communicate with people a thousand miles away on just a 5 or 10 watt HF radio with the right antenna.

I figured you'd know. Its a world I don't really get. Would be a cool thread actually, how to communicate without cell reception.

I was stuck on an island off the coast of the middle of nowhere where we had helicoptered into from a ship, but the weather went to crap so we had to drag our 30' short wave radio antenna out to communicate with a station 400 miles away, who relayed our messages back to the ship just 30 km off shore of where we were just because of the LOS and conditions. Blew my mind.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really recommend it. The technician test is actually quite easy. Read the technician study book through once and then start doing flashcards with something like anki Droid if you have an Android phone.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2113417210

Here is the study cards I used.

I did that for about a week and knocked out all the questions. And then took some practice exams on https://hamexam.org/.

When I got 90% on three consecutive tests I went and signed up for an exam. They're available online now so you don't have to go in person.

https://hamstudy.org/sessions

I got a 100% in my exam.

rinse and repeat the operation for the general if you want to continue on to be able to use high frequency bands.

Are those tests that you posted able to be taken online? It looks like it but all of the other ones I've seen have been in person. I'd rather not go to anything in person right now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Are those tests that you posted able to be taken online? It looks like it but all of the other ones I've seen have been in person. I'd rather not go to anything in person right now.

Yep they can be taken online if you look at the last link in my post and includes a list of upcoming tests and it will say whether it's on site or online.

There's also a goon discord for ham radio if you're interested.

We have a bunch of people at all the ham levels including those studying.

https://discord.gg/bTum73q

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yep they can be taken online if you look at the last link in my post and includes a list of upcoming tests and it will say whether it's on site or online.

There's also a goon discord for ham radio if you're interested.

We have a bunch of people at all the ham levels including those studying.

https://discord.gg/bTum73q

Thank you! I'll try to motivate myself to get started on this and finally get my license.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Don't forget the HAM Radio thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2827275

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Got my trip permit booked for mammoth lakes in two weeks! They set up 'day of permits' to be available to book out Monday afternoon for the following Monday to Sunday and drat I love that system.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ooo thanks!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok this is kind of a vague and biased question. What do you guys do for fun while camping. I can keep myself occupied but I want to go camping with my 19 year old nephew in a few days.

He's not active in the least bit and out of shape, he plays video games all the time, but he's going hiking with me if I have to drag him. There will be a lake so we can go kayaking. I have a regular kayak and an inflatable one that works surprisingly well. Possibly biking but there aren't really any trails I don't think. I'll have to check.

Is there anything you do around camp for fun? There is cooking of course but that won't take long. I'd probably read and test out bushcraft stuff and knot tying. I doubt he'd like that. I'm at a loss here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Take a deck of cards or small card game. Something like Air Land & Sea is only 18 cards and has a lot of interesting strategy and tactical play for 2 players and will probably capture his interest if he likes video games. Hive Pocket is another cool one that's like Chess but has no board.

Or if you're car camping you can take any number of yard games like bocce ball.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Car camping or backpacking?

Car camping, my new favorite past time is my rc rock crawling truck. It's a slow activity that doesn't require much effort but keeps me occupied. You always need firewood unless you buy it. A saw vs an axe might be better for a kid but I leaned how to use an axe when I was a teenager. You could have him help you with setting up camp. Camp chores like building the fire, prepping food. Hikes, water stuff, cards? Could just sit around and talk ...

A slingshot is a fun one but requires knowing you're in a safe place to do it where you won't hit anybody.

Backpacking is a little more difficult as your space is limited. Card games and Bushcraft are easy. Reading is a good one. Some kids just might not be into stuff at a certain age. I enjoyed this poo poo, but some won't.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hike, cards, just walk around the campsite, frisbee, Molkky, build a fire, maintain the fire, drink, talk about poo poo, go to bed early because it gets dark faster than you'd think.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
We bring games like washers, polish horseshoes (hiking poles, frisbee, and cans is all you need), or even badminton (we got a cool small self standing net that works at certain camp sites). Also we bring our bikes if the campsite has a place to ride our bikes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bottom Liner posted:

Or if you're car camping you can take any number of yard games like bocce ball.

This isn't a bad idea. Maybe Target has one locally. I have Amazon prime so I can always see if they'll ship it out in a few days.

Verman posted:

Car camping or backpacking?

Car camping, my new favorite past time is my rc rock crawling truck. It's a slow activity that doesn't require much effort but keeps me occupied. You always need firewood unless you buy it. A saw vs an axe might be better for a kid but I leaned how to use an axe when I was a teenager. You could have him help you with setting up camp. Camp chores like building the fire, prepping food. Hikes, water stuff, cards? Could just sit around and talk ...

A slingshot is a fun one but requires knowing you're in a safe place to do it where you won't hit anybody.

Backpacking is a little more difficult as your space is limited. Card games and Bushcraft are easy. Reading is a good one. Some kids just might not be into stuff at a certain age. I enjoyed this poo poo, but some won't.

Car camping. With everything I'm bringing my Forester is going to be filled up I think but whatever. RC stuff is cool but I don't have anything at the moment. I might look into that. A slingshot isn't a bad idea. I have one at my parent's but I'd rather not go there right now. They're in their 70s. I can always pick up a new one.

Oh poo poo, I forgot. ROCKETS! I have a bunch of rockets I built and need to try out. That's always fun. We did that a few years ago and it was a pretty big failure. But I had a wrong sized launch rod so we had to make due.

PittTheElder posted:

Hike, cards, just walk around the campsite, frisbee, Molkky, build a fire, maintain the fire, drink, talk about poo poo, go to bed early because it gets dark faster than you'd think.

Usually when I go camping I get smashed every night and sleep like poo poo and don't have much energy the next day. This time I'm making a no alcohol rule. I have no idea what camping is like without booze. I'm guessing I'll get a lot more done.

nate fisher posted:

We bring games like washers, polish horseshoes (hiking poles, frisbee, and cans is all you need), or even badminton (we got a cool small self standing net that works at certain camp sites). Also we bring our bikes if the campsite has a place to ride our bikes.

Oooo badminton isn't a bad idea. I'll look for a set and see how much it is. Probably cheap.

edit: oh poo poo, I might finally buy a drone. gently caress my credit card bill is going to SSUUUUCCKKKK

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 28, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you're camping near anyone else please don't bring rockets and drones.

If you're in the middle of nowhere it's fine I guess.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

edit: oh poo poo, I might finally buy a drone. gently caress my credit card bill is going to SSUUUUCCKKKK

Drones are nogo in national parks and many state parks. If you're out in the middle of nowhere then go for it. If anyone is camping near you I'd avoid drones and rockets.

Cruising around with a drone when other people are camping or chilling is being an rear end in a top hat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Packable games we always stuff in the car camping bag is bananagrams, hive pocket and "iota". Iota is a pain if there's any wind at all. Bananagrams is the weakest of the bunch, it's a poor man's scrabble, but the form factor can't be beat. Hive is a cool strategy game.

If we have any kind of shelter from wind and a larger group, Uno and Skip-bo are longtime favorites.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FCKGW posted:

If you're camping near anyone else please don't bring rockets and drones.

If you're in the middle of nowhere it's fine I guess.

lol don't worry it's was a planned-but-never-made Air Force base. There's a ton of room and if I remember they used to have rocket shoots there. I'm not a dick.

Although, I could spy on people having tent sex with the drone. I think there's a law against that though. :shrug:

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
What we bring for car camping:

Cribbage (miniature board) and deck of cards
Books / magazines
Drone if allowed to use it
Inflatable tubes, hand pump, and rope if on water

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cribbage is the poo poo, teach him how to play.

I've only gone once but I found mushroom hunting engrossing. It won't wear you out like hiking, and you won't go far, but just scanning every downed tree and stump for mushrooms was a blast.

Similarly, looking for fossils is a lot of fun, if you're in the right area for it. Or you could spend a few hours walking slowly and quietly through the woods looking for deer; if you see one, see how close you can stalk up to it before it spooks.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Stargazing is my favorite part of camping. See how many satellites and meteors you can find

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I had the distinct pleasure of having a kidney stone out in the back country so I now carry prescription grade NSAIDs and percocets because never again.
I don't intend to ever use them but they are there if one of us gets exceptionally hosed up again

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hotel Kpro posted:

Stargazing is my favorite part of camping. See how many satellites and meteors you can find

I have a lovely telescope that I've used in the past. I was going to buy one a while ago specifically for going out into the county and using it while camping. They're really expensive though and I just dropped a bunch of money on new comfortable camping equipment. I really want one with the auto find/follow feature because, like with the moon, I hate getting it in focus and then 20 seconds later it moves out of view. The one I was looking at was almost $500. I need to find a cheaper one that still has that feature.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Binoculars are fuckin' amazing for quick and easy stargazing. Of course a telescope can get you a better view, but binoculars get you a pretty good view right now, and you can follow with your arms.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I have a lovely telescope that I've used in the past. I was going to buy one a while ago specifically for going out into the county and using it while camping. They're really expensive though and I just dropped a bunch of money on new comfortable camping equipment. I really want one with the auto find/follow feature because, like with the moon, I hate getting it in focus and then 20 seconds later it moves out of view. The one I was looking at was almost $500. I need to find a cheaper one that still has that feature.

I'll 2nd the binoculars recommendation. I have a decent telescope and find myself spending more time with the binoculars plus they are useful during the day too. My set was like $50 and are super portable compared to a scope. The only trick is learning how to look and brace so you don't shake too much.

Animal stalking was a really great recommendation, I've only walked up on whitetail a handful of times in my life and only once on purpose. For extreme level stalking try to even get within viewing distance of a predator of any kind. I ran into a pine marten in the wild once and it was way cooler than the few times I've run into moose.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Another good recommendation for time wasting is geocaching. Just need a gps or phone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I found a geocache once in the middle of the desert in Arizona while off-roading with a buddy. There were a couple rocks next to each other so I was looking under for bugs/lizards and found a box.

I felt so lucky that day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Verman posted:

Another good recommendation for time wasting is geocaching. Just need a gps or phone.

I just downloaded an app last night! I've been wanting to try it forever but I'm lazy. That should be interesting.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Suggestions on map apps to use? I know they've been discussed but I didn't see anything in the op

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I have the paid version of Topo Maps+. Works real well, haven't gotten lost since I've started using it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I use OSMAnd (which is for Android)

It has downloadable maps including a bunch of overlay information and even Wikipedia information. Which can be really useful in off-grid situations.

If you're in a party it also has the ability to take in and pin GPS locations that you get from other people, for instance if they are being transmitted via radio or in my case APRS. You can also share planned routes with folks who have the same app so you can make sure you follow the same trails or end up at the same location.

Offline directions as well of course.

In terms of just managing following a trail I use AllTrails. It has an excellent database of trails and user ratings for them and of course can download the maps for offline use.

I should mention that both of these have purchase options as opposed to subscriptions which was a major selling point for me.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 30, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Went out today in a scorcher expecting that being at altitude in the wind would be nice and cooling when not low in the trees. Hiking partner who made the hike many times went off course and we wound up in a different valley. Backtracked and got back on course but that lost time and the fact the approach on the bright white talus cut off the breeze and turned the right valley into an oven. Decided to bail on our objective but still did nearly 27km with the off course addition.

Hiking rocks no matter what.

The new pack is amazing; having all of the weight centrally located is a huge improvement. A few micro adjustments over the day and now I have it dialed in. Very happy with this purchase.

Now to replace the garbo boots (although I loved the new foot beds)...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Spikes32 posted:

Suggestions on map apps to use? I know they've been discussed but I didn't see anything in the op

I've been happy with Gaia (paid subscription for offline use). Prior to that we used Avenza with manually downloaded Caltopo maps. Works fine for individual hikes, but requires more planning ahead.