Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Looking for a recommendation for my daughter who lives in a house with 4 other kids (2 under 3yo). She will be doing remote learning for school and needs some headphones so 2 screaming toddlers don't bother her. Isolation and bluetooth are definitely gonna be the biggest priority so she is not distracted. Headphones would be better than IEM. Staying under $100 would be ideal but not a dealbreaker.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Looking for a recommendation for my daughter who lives in a house with 4 other kids (2 under 3yo). She will be doing remote learning for school and needs some headphones so 2 screaming toddlers don't bother her. Isolation and bluetooth are definitely gonna be the biggest priority so she is not distracted. Headphones would be better than IEM. Staying under $100 would be ideal but not a dealbreaker.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.40BT I used during the lockdown for conferencing from a busy home and they work pretty well in terms of what you’re looking for, but what makes them really amazing is the 20+ hour battery life

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.40BT I used during the lockdown for conferencing from a busy home and they work pretty well in terms of what you’re looking for, but what makes them really amazing is the 20+ hour battery life

Hey this looks perfect. Thanks!!!!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

Hey this looks perfect. Thanks!!!!

If you can stretch to the 4.50, she'll get nose cancelling too.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house

atal posted:

My Sennheiser HD215 are on the way out and I'd really like to replace them with the equivelent pair from the same brand because I used and loved the HD's for over a decade - what are the threads opinions on the Sennheiser HD 599?

My use case is Gaming/General and the HD599 are sort of the budget I'm looking at.

Shamelessly reposting because I missed the new page snipe, recommendations welcome.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

evobatman posted:

If you can stretch to the 4.50, she'll get nose cancelling too.

I'm guessing the 4.50 is a plague doctor mask?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Budget: $50

For work am needing an over-ear headset that is decent quality. This is really just for zoom meetings and listening to business-related audio/presentations so it doesn’t need to be audiophile quality. I will be wearing them for several hours a day so comfort is a big thing. Open back is a plus!

I used to have the Sennheiser Game One and looooved it but those are not in the price range I am after now. Is there a similar but lower price option?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Comfortable and headset mix extremely poorly.

Separate mic & headphones work significantly better, but within that budget and open back it's tricky.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

endlessmonotony posted:

Comfortable and headset mix extremely poorly.

Separate mic & headphones work significantly better, but within that budget and open back it's tricky.

Seconding this. I brought my Focusrite 4i4 and a couple of conference mics to work for that purpose and never looked back.
Then again I've spent significantly more than $50 on any one of my components...

You might be able to get a nice setup if you double your budget and get a usb mic.
Alternatively, I've found that the mics in the Logitech Pro webcams are tolerable if you also need a webcam.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You could just-and-just do it within budget with closed-back headphones. Well, if you have time to wait for sales.

Depends heavily on if you have AC, where you live and how good your AC is though.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
If "on ear" is ok instead of "over ear", and a cable mic is ok instead of an arm mic, the Drop version of the Koss Porta Pro is comfortable, sounds really good and has a decent mic. I use it a lot when I just don't feel like putting IEMs in my ears. And then adding the aftermarket Yaxi Pad replacement covers whenever you have the money is an improvement for both sound and comfort.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
In possible "new budget hype IEM" news, FiiO recently released a single dynamic driver set named FD1 that I think is really good for $60. However they've since released the same exact set with cheaper accessories and a different cable under their sister brand Jade Audio (model EA1) for only $30. I think that's absurdly good for the price, and is possibly a better choice than even the Tin T2 or Blon BL03, depending on taste/preferences.

This set is super fast and clean sounding across bass, mids and treble. The imaging, sound stage, and separation are all really good, better than anything else I own under $100. It has very tight, fast bass with good sub bass extension. The treble doesn't have a ton of extension but is very crisp and clear without harshness. The big caveats are: 1) the tonality is very cool, a lot of people looking for budget sets are looking for something warm and bassy; 2) It actually requires a lot of power to sound its best, so plugging right into a phone headphone jack won't give the best results.

I've been using my FD1 paired with my Radsone ES100 as my walking around town set and I think they're excellent - getting the $30 version is a steal if it fits your preferences and you can pair it with a good source.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

So as much as I like the HD58X's sound I've been waiting for them to break in and get more comfortable. But after several weeks its still not there. The clamping force is still high even after bending them every time I use them. After a little while they squish down on my ears. The pads are just a mm or so too small and shift when I move my head or talk and start rubbing on the back of my ears and get itchy and the tilt/swivel is really stiff. Also the cable is way too thick and the part that connects to the ear cups is stiff and bends and stabs me in the neck all the time. I can swap the pads and risk sound changes and swap the cable but then that annoys me that I have to send more $$ on them.

So looking around at other options I decided to try the DT990 250 premiums in black after learning they have a straight cable and less clamping force. I've been using them since Friday and after adjust the EQ a bit to tone down the treb and I'm really liking them. The extra bass is nice and they are comfortable and allow me to wear them longer. I was surprised the pads were as firm as they were but that ended up breaking in on the 58's so that should form up with time and the fabric is soft. Whats left of my hair is pretty short so the suede headband kind of sticks and pulls on it a bit so I might look into swapping to the leather one on the 990 pro's if I stick with them.

I'm only powering them with the onboard ALC1220 on my z390 mobo, so I had to bump the volume up from 60 to 80, but sounds plenty loud now matching what I had on the 58x's. Do you think I should look into an amp/dac combo or are the cheap ones on par with this onboard sound already?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just about two years ago I bought a pair of Sony WH-H900N headphones. They've worked great apart from occasionally not properly syncing with my Pixel, such that media will play through them but calls don't until I restart the phone. Recently, however, I've been getting some noise and feedback from the right ear. It'll start out like a sort of low-pitched clicking or clunking sound every few seconds, then after maybe a minute it'll start feeding back, and it can get quite loud. It only happens when the headphones are in active noise canceling mode, and I can get it to stop by switching the sound canceling mode to either ambient or off (or of course turning the headphones off). It doesn't seem to matter what the headphones are connected to - Bluetooth to my phone or my work MacBook or wired to my desktop.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and been able to fix it? I'll be contacting Chase to see what their extended warranty can do for me if nothing else works.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Looking for an OK set of headphones + arm mounted mic, primarily for gaming. Circumaural is not a term I had ever encountered until reading this OP, but it sounds very much what I want, I hate having my ears squashed. Open is fine otherwise, no need for noise cancelling, ect.

I would prefer cabled than wireless, and would really like to avoid spending more than £100, ideally half that really. I'm no audiophile and tend to break headsets easily so as cheap as possible while being over ear and comfortable is my goal.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hooah posted:

Just about two years ago I bought a pair of Sony WH-H900N headphones. They've worked great apart from occasionally not properly syncing with my Pixel, such that media will play through them but calls don't until I restart the phone. Recently, however, I've been getting some noise and feedback from the right ear. It'll start out like a sort of low-pitched clicking or clunking sound every few seconds, then after maybe a minute it'll start feeding back, and it can get quite loud. It only happens when the headphones are in active noise canceling mode, and I can get it to stop by switching the sound canceling mode to either ambient or off (or of course turning the headphones off). It doesn't seem to matter what the headphones are connected to - Bluetooth to my phone or my work MacBook or wired to my desktop.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and been able to fix it? I'll be contacting Chase to see what their extended warranty can do for me if nothing else works.

Canned compressed air is usually the magic.

Active noise cancelling creates antinoise. When antinoise and noise meet, they eliminate each other, turning to nothing but heat.

If you have a hair or earwax on the driver it'll cause symptoms like this though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

endlessmonotony posted:

Canned compressed air is usually the magic.

Active noise cancelling creates antinoise. When antinoise and noise meet, they eliminate each other, turning to nothing but heat.

If you have a hair or earwax on the driver it'll cause symptoms like this though.

Oh sweet, it'd be great if it's that easy to fix. Should I try to take off the ear cups or the fabric over the driver first?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It really depends on how easy it is to disassemble. In mine I disassemble the ear cup and take off the fabric since it's so easy.

Be careful with it though. Don't put the nozzle right at the driver, and let it sit for a minute before testing if the problem's gone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

endlessmonotony posted:

It really depends on how easy it is to disassemble. In mine I disassemble the ear cup and take off the fabric since it's so easy.

Be careful with it though. Don't put the nozzle right at the driver, and let it sit for a minute before testing if the problem's gone.

I found a video; it's pretty simple. I couldn't see anything on the driver itself, but there was definitely some buildup on the fabric, which I removed. Here's hoping it works.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Pharnakes posted:

Looking for an OK set of headphones + arm mounted mic, primarily for gaming. Circumaural is not a term I had ever encountered until reading this OP, but it sounds very much what I want, I hate having my ears squashed. Open is fine otherwise, no need for noise cancelling, ect.

I would prefer cabled than wireless, and would really like to avoid spending more than £100, ideally half that really. I'm no audiophile and tend to break headsets easily so as cheap as possible while being over ear and comfortable is my goal.

For headphones the Status Audio CB1s are really good for the price. For a mic just get any cheap usb mic as your price range isn't going to get you anything good. The ADX Fircast from Currys should be OK.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hooah posted:

I found a video; it's pretty simple. I couldn't see anything on the driver itself, but there was definitely some buildup on the fabric, which I removed. Here's hoping it works.

I need a jeweler's loupe to see problems like that.

Also the ANC could be a separate element.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foxtrot_13 posted:

For headphones the Status Audio CB1s are really good for the price. For a mic just get any cheap usb mic as your price range isn't going to get you anything good. The ADX Fircast from Currys should be OK.

I agree the CB1s are fantastic

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a headset with separate connectors for headphone and microphone. Will an adapter like this work for use with a laptop that has a combo port?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
In case anyone is deal shopping for some planar headphones, Dan Clark is having a sale on Flow RT (closed and open) for $500 or a package deal that adds a Schiit Hel and ModMic for $650.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

endlessmonotony posted:

I need a jeweler's loupe to see problems like that.

Also the ANC could be a separate element.

I still get the feedback after cleaning off the fabric, so I'll try to (gently) blast some air on the actual driver this evening.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LuckyCat posted:

I have a headset with separate connectors for headphone and microphone. Will an adapter like this work for use with a laptop that has a combo port?

It should, yes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hooah posted:

I still get the feedback after cleaning off the fabric, so I'll try to (gently) blast some air on the actual driver this evening.

To cause problems like that the dirt (or more often, hair) needs to be touching the driver creating the antinoise.

On regular elements you take a lot longer to notice unless you have means to monitor it, but since the antinoise is supposed to be silent, it's a lot more annoying than just random buzz in bass.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Are there any Bluetooth headphones that can pair to 3+ devices and toggle between them with a switch? My home desk setup has me alternating between a Windows desktop, a Macbook, and an iPad, and I've got a keyboard and mouse that pair to 3 devices and let you toggle between them with a tap. Does this exist for Bluetooth headphones? I just see some people talking about Bluetooth headphones that pair to two devices and listen to them simultaneously (multipoint), which is not really what I'm looking for - I'm totally fine with a toggle where you only actually get output from one device at a time. Just curious if this is a category of thing that exists at all.

The closest I've seen is that Bose supports it by cycling through, though it sounds kind of awkward to use in practice. Sony says you can switch Bluetooth connections on some of their devices but is unclear how.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 28, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Bose also lets you swap through their app instead of the hardware button.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
urgh, that sounds like even more work than just using the button

I guess, if this isn't something that exists... what actually is the experience of using Bluetooth headphones on multiple devices, in 2020? I've only ever had garbage cheap Bluetooth ear buds that had a hell of a time pairing and connecting and remembering devices. If you get a nice pair, does it generally Just Work quickly as long as you reconnect using the Bluetooth stuff in whatever OS? I've got a Windows desktop, a Macbook, an iPad, and an Android phone; do all of those OS's generally handle this correctly?

The other thing I've noticed is that a lot of devices do have multipoint now, but lots of reviews warn about multipoint severely loving up audio quality. I'm worried with these devices (like the Jabra Move, or Bose's, or Sony's) that say "connect to up to 8 devices, and listen to up to 2 at once" would stay connected to the previous device after I connect with a new one, which would gently caress up audio.

Maybe these are really stupid questions, I dunno. I just don't understand what using Bluetooth headphones with multiple devices looks like in practice, and I do not want to make the wrong $200-or-whatever purchase.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 29, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The closest experience I have to this is using airpods and powerbeats pros to connect to: iphone, ipad, and a windows laptop. They are smart enough to know if I am using whatever apple device. To use windows laptop you put them on and tell the windows laptop to pair to em. It's mildly annoying but it works. I don't use them much with the laptop anyway.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

In case anyone is deal shopping for some planar headphones, Dan Clark is having a sale on Flow RT (closed and open) for $500 or a package deal that adds a Schiit Hel and ModMic for $650.

How are any of these? For open backs I have a dt1990 and lcd-2f and for closed backs I have the Denon ah-d7200 which is my daily for use at my computer and the campfire cascade for portable use.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I got the CB-1s and they are certainly comfortable, but I'm a bit confused by them.

When I plug them in there's constant noise, it sounds like what you get if you turn the volume all the way up on a cheap headset, just kind of waves/pulses of crackling in the background. The volume of the computer I plug them into makes no difference, if they are plugged in the noise is there, only way to get rid of it is to unplug them. It's like they have an amp inside permanently turned to max, and it's true I have to turn my PCs volume down to nothing in order not to deafen myself, and consequently I have no real volume control, I can choose 0%, 1% or 2% volume, anything over that is deafening.

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing here but what is it?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have Senn 599s, with an in-line boom mic, and Audioengine A2+ hooked up to my PC (on board audio). Should I be considering a DAC or amp? I don't really know the difference there.

Also do people with desk mics like a Yeti use open mic in Discord/gaming? Do people hear your mechanical keyboards? I have cherry red switches.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Pharnakes posted:

So I got the CB-1s and they are certainly comfortable, but I'm a bit confused by them.

When I plug them in there's constant noise, it sounds like what you get if you turn the volume all the way up on a cheap headset, just kind of waves/pulses of crackling in the background. The volume of the computer I plug them into makes no difference, if they are plugged in the noise is there, only way to get rid of it is to unplug them. It's like they have an amp inside permanently turned to max, and it's true I have to turn my PCs volume down to nothing in order not to deafen myself, and consequently I have no real volume control, I can choose 0%, 1% or 2% volume, anything over that is deafening.

I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing here but what is it?

Do you have the same issue plugging into a different source like your phone? Might be motherboard noise.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Do you have the same issue plugging into a different source like your phone? Might be motherboard noise.

Yeah that seems to be it, works fine on my ipad. I've ordered a cable with a modulator, hopefully by turning it right down I can make the headphones usable on this laptop, otherwise I'll just have to buy another pair of of £15 headphones I suppose.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
It will likely occur with other headphones too then. You may want to buy a USB dac. I think the apple dongle is the cheapest one. Some others in the thread should be able to give better advice on what to buy.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

KingKapalone posted:

I have Senn 599s, with an in-line boom mic, and Audioengine A2+ hooked up to my PC (on board audio). Should I be considering a DAC or amp? I don't really know the difference there.

Also do people with desk mics like a Yeti use open mic in Discord/gaming? Do people hear your mechanical keyboards? I have cherry red switches.

DAC, for sure.

Amps make high-end gear better (well, at least louder) but they require every analog component to be high quality to be any use.

Most separate DACs have a decent amp already in them.

The reason why separate DACs are good is because you need space to create sound properly. Of course they usually also have better components than poo poo like onboard audio, but a very large part of the difference is the extra space, separated from all the other components that you need to build a system that delivers high-quality audio. Amps just make sure the audio is on the right level to drive the gear properly - they're amplifiers. Digital Analog Converters convert a digital signal (almost always over USB) into an analog signal and analog signals are very sensitive to interference from other electronics around them.

Also I use push-to-talk, desk mic + mechanical keyboard is hell otherwise.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lowness 72 posted:

It will likely occur with other headphones too then. You may want to buy a USB dac. I think the apple dongle is the cheapest one. Some others in the thread should be able to give better advice on what to buy.

I'm using the Apple USB-C dongle with an adapter to a USB-A port. It works absolutely beautifully and has plenty of power to drive my slightly inefficient 32 ohm, 95db/mW Beyerdynamic DT-231s to properly loud levels. Be aware that it doesn't actually turn on and show up as an output until you plug in your headphones.

The Meizu Hifi Pro dongle would also have been an easy recommendation if you need more output power and very slightly better specs in general, but it seems like it has been discontinued, I can't find it for sale anymore. The non-pro version is fine too, but is more expensive than the Apple dongle for basically the same specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

endlessmonotony posted:

DAC, for sure.

Amps make high-end gear better (well, at least louder) but they require every analog component to be high quality to be any use.

Most separate DACs have a decent amp already in them.

The reason why separate DACs are good is because you need space to create sound properly. Of course they usually also have better components than poo poo like onboard audio, but a very large part of the difference is the extra space, separated from all the other components that you need to build a system that delivers high-quality audio. Amps just make sure the audio is on the right level to drive the gear properly - they're amplifiers. Digital Analog Converters convert a digital signal (almost always over USB) into an analog signal and analog signals are very sensitive to interference from other electronics around them.

Also I use push-to-talk, desk mic + mechanical keyboard is hell otherwise.

To clarify, I was wondering if my headphones or speakers need a DAC at all?