Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tadpoles are easy stuff. Have the Fencer take two Vulcan Hammers and stand out in front of their flight path. As they all divebomb him, he can swing nonstop and face-tank the entire swarm. Meanwhile the Air Raider cuts them apart with Spritefall and KM6. Any survivors get the Slaughter, Thunder Crossbow, or Rapier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I like it when they sometimes have skripted flightpaths once around the map before they engage you proper, and you can just point an automatic weapon in that path and hold down the trigger.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would be great if EDF6 acknowledges the existence of Proteus. A crazy powerful weapons platform that fires missiles for days. The natural enemy of the tadpole.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

everyone who plays Inferno with limits on is a cop

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
What the hell was Ranger supposed to do on Inferno before the DLC guns

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shotguns

even in the DLC two of the best Ranger guns are just better shotguns

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

40 Proof Listerine posted:

What the hell was Ranger supposed to do on Inferno before the DLC guns

This is the only thing I cheesed in all of EDF 5. There is a mission somewhere in the 80s where you are outside against three waves of pillbugs. If you run down the river at the beginning while NPCs fight the first wave, there are two sturdy rocks towards the edge of the map you can tuck in between and use it as cover from the bugs. Equip two shotguns and do it on inferno for some excellent drops. The upgraded drops from farming that 4-5 times got me through both DLC packs before I was getting lvl 100+ drops.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had about five maps spaced out, yet was able to be soloed for Inferno. My favorite was the introduction to stronger Colonists and dozens would spawn, while I had a whole army supporting me.

I got my first break when someone cheated an underground map with one hit kill and mission end, netting me a fully upgraded Blazer. I wasn't even ready for regular Inferno maps and this was the game changer.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 7, 2020

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm soloing thru EDF 2025 (i.e. ver 4.0) as Fencer again on Hardest skill. What's the best weapon against the Wasps? I'm stuck on offline mission #40, Waterside bugs, where you have to take out about 7 riverside tunnels.

Normally I can take out wasps OK, but I'm playing the Xbox 360, and once enough wasps and other enemies get on the screen I'm not able to see them or react fast enough to the reduced frame rate to mount an effective defense.

The 2025 mission appears harder than the 4.1 mission since in 2025 you only start with 4 shotgun rangers (per the wiki). In 4.1 the mission introduced several different squads of troops, perhaps to make the mission less difficult at harder levels. I could buy 4.1 but did not want to start over.

https://theearthdefenseforce.fandom.com/wiki/Waterside_Bugs

I've tried to rush or dash-cancel the left far-end river bank and take out about three or four tunnels, then I get overwhelmed, even if I boost out of the river channel.

I've resorted going back a few missions to play on Inferno, but I appear to have gotten all the high-level equipment I can. I must have played through Convergence (offline, Mission 34) on Inferno about 30 times already at least, farming weapons and armor.

I've played thru EDF 2025 before, but I assume I must have skipped past this level and just played on Hard, and came back to it later once I had better weapons.

I'm using one of the level 68 Galion cannons, sometimes two of them, paired with Shield MA and Jackhammer to dash cancel. I tried using missiles but they are too slow to lock on and reload at my current mission level.

Worst case I can just leave the Xbox360 game and instead buy EDF 4.1 for my PS4 Pro, and start over, to hopefully enjoy better frame rates and the updated missions design. Tempting idea...

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 8, 2020

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

everyone who plays Inferno with limits on is a cop

There's a dude on youtube who's trying to go thru the whole game inferno+limits+online+solo+5555 health : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs7zzE0qzmH9Smcwbcx2Y2w

He's in the late 90s now and has only had to boost the health limit a few times.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nnnotime posted:

I'm soloing thru EDF 2025 (i.e. ver 4.0) as Fencer again on Hardest skill. What's the best weapon against the Wasps?

Reflector
Disruptor if you can kill most of them before the ammo runs out

fritz posted:

There's a dude on youtube who's trying to go thru the whole game inferno+limits+online+solo+5555 health : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs7zzE0qzmH9Smcwbcx2Y2w

He's in the late 90s now and has only had to boost the health limit a few times.

this dude recommends Spine Drivers and HAILs for Fencers so I can't take him seriously

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 8, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

flashing back to the time some rando in 4.1 tried to tell me that taking double Lysanders was "stupid and useless" lol

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhIYno69-MaykfwTduUulA

This dude plays a large amount of the inferno missions + DLC with 250 or around 2k health. He is using the DLC weapons + equips though.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 9, 2020

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

RoyalScion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhIYno69-MaykfwTduUulA

This dude plays a large amount of the inferno missions + DLC with 250 or around 2k health. He is using the DLC weapons + equips though.

This channel totally owns for bite size EDF vids. This Fencer video from mission 102 was what convinced me to pick up the game and I didn't realize at the time it was being done with the DLC equipment for a bazillion horizontal and vertical boost jumps. Fencer still gets real fast even in the mid-game with mixed 2-2 and 3-3 boosters, it's just not this comically fast.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why do people spam the "Waaagh!" death scream

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

They better bring back the good song for 6. The one in 5 sucks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

They better bring back the good song for 6. The one in 5 sucks.
Can we keep the one about firing at the flying saucers? That song is a good boy trying it's best.

It's also a song that makes room for frogs because it says we won't let aliens rule homosapiens. Frogs look just like us, AND are not flying saucers! :pseudo:

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hwurmp posted:

why do people spam the "Waaagh!" death scream

I will occasionally spam the “WAAAAAH!” scream to go along with my warface while rushing a frog squad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I have a need to buy 2 copies of EDF 5 on playstation but I completely forgot the game was digital only. There is apparently a physical version coming out in september, but I don't want to wait that long.

Is it posible to buy EDF as a downlad code from anywhere or am I going to have to send PSN bucks to the peeps I'm buying for?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1288287970366283778

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

:lol:

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Started playing this co-op with a friend and for some reason this is giving me motion sickness even though other FPS or 3rd person games don't. Any thoughts on options to change that might help?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

TheJadedOne posted:

Started playing this co-op with a friend and for some reason this is giving me motion sickness even though other FPS or 3rd person games don't. Any thoughts on options to change that might help?

Camera Shake is on by default, it's really awful, turn that off asap. There's a few other settings in the options that may help, but that's a big one. You can access those settings from the main menu iirc.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Didn't realize that Wint also ran the EDF twitter

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this isn't formic acid, it's victory wine

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You are supposed to step on the bug.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I love EDF :swoon:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some videos of EDF6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAyWOlD6Y3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAglDIRHceY

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

nnnotime posted:

I'm soloing thru EDF 2025 (i.e. ver 4.0) as Fencer again on Hardest skill. What's the best weapon against the Wasps? I'm stuck on offline mission #40, Waterside bugs, where you have to take out about 7 riverside tunnels.
Worst case I can just leave the Xbox360 game and instead buy EDF 4.1 for my PS4 Pro, and start over, to hopefully enjoy better frame rates and the updated missions design. Tempting idea...
To continue my saga, after finally beating the EDF 2025 mission #40 with Fencer (Waterside Bugs), on Hardest, via a successful strategy I discovered thru trial and error, I decided to halt the 2025 game and purchase the EDF 4.1 version, thinking I would have more balanced missions with smoother frame-rates on the PS4 Pro, rather than my old Xbox 360.

As it turns out some of the 4.1 redesigned missions, earlier than #40, are much tougher on Hardest skill compared to the EDF 2025 versions. Just LOL that I assumed that all the EDF 4.1 missions would have balancing issues from the 2025 version worked out! It turns out the redesigned 4.1 missions had more gameplay features added, but balancing the missions was not a priority.

I finally got to the mission "Inferno" (mission 35) and found it twice as hard as the EDF 2025 version, and got stuck again. It turns out the "Inferno" mission in EDF 4.1 is built on the old EDF 2017 version of the Inferno mission, with two ant-drop ships as part of the second wave, and up to four Queen ants, one being Gold on Hardest skill.

I found a Fencer-player on Youtube beating the mission "Inferno", on Inferno skill, using dual-Vibro-rollers, and I wanted to replicate his strategy. But I found I did not have a decent level Vibro-roller to execute the same plans. I even played thru the mission prior, Convergence, probably over 20 times at Inferno skill to get every high-level weapon possible on that map, and was not able to score a more powerful Vibro-roller like the Youtube poster had.

So after tanking up my armor/health to about 2800 I hammered thru the EDF 4.1 "Inferno" mission again, on Hardest skill, and finally found a winning strategy via slugging it out, yet keeping the starting EDF NPC forces alive long enough to take out the drone threats.

And finally I've come full circle from my EDF 2025 replay, back again in EDF 4.1 where I left off, about to tackle Waterside Bugs mission. I'll will still execute my prior strategy from 2025, but now I'll have a little help from the added NPC friends.

Sorry for the long post, but the EDF game-design is, without question, one of the best series in gaming history, due to all the variables and combinations of weapons, enemies, maps and strategies that come into play, even at the lower difficulty levels, without relying on the ultimate game weapons.

True that some of the EDF titles have not been perfect, but the base game design that most of the series was built on is extremely versatile to support extremely compelling gameplay.

EDIT: And I just got thru Waterside Bugs on Hardest with Fencer. They remade this mission also much harder in EDF 4.1 (LOL). Fortunately the same strategies I discovered in 2025 also applied, so only had to restart it a few times.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 27, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Props but I definitely wouldn't do EDF 4.1 solo with fencer ever.

EDF 4.1 had significantly worse homing weapons than EDF 5 so Fencers had a really lovely time against red drones.

A lack of consistent long range option also went that King Spiders kinda wreck you.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

WarpedLichen posted:

Props but I definitely wouldn't do EDF 4.1 solo with fencer ever.

EDF 4.1 had significantly worse homing weapons than EDF 5 so Fencers had a really lovely time against red drones.

A lack of consistent long range option also went that King Spiders kinda wreck you.
I was always attracted to the Fencer for the idea of fighting in power armor, kind of like the Space Marines in 40K. And the close-range striker/melee weapons and shields makes good for exciting close-quarters combat, even against the larger enemies.

Regarding drones, I found even the regular drones were a challenge in EDF 4.1 on the lower levels, due to the mission redesigns.

For example in the first appearance of drones in the Air Force mission, in 2025 you only faced 90 drones in 3 waves, which wasn't that tough. But in EDF 4.1 they jacked it up to 182 drones in four waves, which was so overwhelming even hiding between buildings didn't help.
https://theearthdefenseforce.fandom.com/wiki/Air_Force

For my Fencer to finally survive the drone swarms, on Hardest skill, I tested several times and found cover under the short building corners that had little inset shops and bushes, and were small enough so the NPC missile tanks would not shoot down my building cover. Then I equipped a Tower Shield and held down the fire-button with my short-range Jackhammer, pounding all the drones that flew down thru the small cramped open area to try to reach me.

For a long-range option, the Fencer eventually gains effective long-range artillery cannons and mortar weapons. I use the few locking missile weapons occasionally, but the cannons and mortars are great for most giant opponents. For medium-range air against the wasps I find the Galleon guns have worked pretty well so far.

I'm still quite a ways from the Spider King, but will be looking forward to him soon...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

Reflector will kill king spiders faster than anything

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
inferno's a whole different game.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
EDF 5 is currently half off in the PSN store and I picked it up - can't believe it took me so long to grab it. What a great game. If anyone's still kicking around online and sees a wing diver named bwargle probably getting us all killed, feel free to sing at me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the new minecraft edf comes out in japan a couple of days from now. it's yuke's again, but it really looks like the mainline engine this time so at least it might not play like poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIfUZ1oduz0

might get the jp version for the hell of it

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am curious if they will add a new pickup for EDF6 since that game introduced it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Minecraft EDF looks interesting. I like that they've kind of gone the other way this time so that instead of a westernized dumbed down game with superior graphical fidelity (and a stretched thin campaign with bullet sponge enemies in numbers that the engine can handle) to try and break into the western market they've gone all in on a simplified graphical style and focused so heavily on the history of the series to appeal to their existing Japanese market.

I don't know who all these characters are and I'm the guy who bores people with explanations like no the Invaders and the Primers are completely different actually and I know the Ravagers had Deroys too but...

Is there any word on a Western release? This feels like it would be especially tricky. Like are the EDF 2 parts of the game going to use the goofy Planet Space localization or will we get something closer to the original? Was O'hara even in the japanese 4.1? Do IA and IR get any representation here, or is ths main series only?

Its so weird to see a game so entrenched in the lore and characters of EDF when usually that poo poo is so background that the just reboot everything after 2 games because like you can do 'the aliens are here' and 'the aliens are back!' But 'the aliens are back for a third go!' Is just a bit repetitive i guess.

Edit: okay watched some more and noticed the grappling hook spiderman class from Iron Rain in the mix there. Yukes at least put their own game in there lol. Will accept IA in the game only if GDF tactics gets representation too.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 23, 2020

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

Minecraft EDF looks interesting. I like that they've kind of gone the other way this time so that instead of a westernized dumbed down game with superior graphical fidelity (and a stretched thin campaign with bullet sponge enemies in numbers that the engine can handle) to try and break into the western market they've gone all in on a simplified graphical style and focused so heavily on the history of the series to appeal to their existing Japanese market.

I don't know who all these characters are and I'm the guy who bores people with explanations like no the Invaders and the Primers are completely different actually and I know the Ravagers had Deroys too but...

Is there any word on a Western release? This feels like it would be especially tricky. Like are the EDF 2 parts of the game going to use the goofy Planet Space localization or will we get something closer to the original? Was O'hara even in the japanese 4.1? Do IA and IR get any representation here, or is ths main series only?

Its so weird to see a game so entrenched in the lore and characters of EDF when usually that poo poo is so background that the just reboot everything after 2 games because like you can do 'the aliens are here' and 'the aliens are back!' But 'the aliens are back for a third go!' Is just a bit repetitive i guess.

Edit: okay watched some more and noticed the grappling hook spiderman class from Iron Rain in the mix there. Yukes at least put their own game in there lol. Will accept IA in the game only if GDF tactics gets representation too.

they said "early 2021". I'm tempted to import since EDF games don't require any reading at all, but since it's yukes and not sandlot I'll wait and see. The premise is great though. The character ults are awesome, if they manage to get the scale right then it'll be a fun game.

I really really hope they added the wii game characters in there.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
update: I bought it for switch because it was 10% off on the preorder and I'm dumb. I'll let y'all know if I got burned by yukes regarding lack of content, not enough bugs or terrible grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

actually just noticed the unreal engine logo. maybe they've just done a good job imitating the jank of the main series. just hope the netcode isn't a disaster this time