Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Paul Zuvella posted:

elsha is a fun commander you take that back

Magic is a game where fun things are bad and good things aren't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Magic is a game where fun things are bad and good things aren't fun.

Is there any competitive deck building game where this isn’t the case?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

As a serious Commander player the 2020 decks are roughly twice as powerful as the 2019 decks and the 2019 commanders SUUUUUUUUUUCK except for K’rrik, who is overpowered and cool.

Also the partner Commanders in the 2020 sets as well as the free spells have had a very serious impact on the format and the Jeskai and Temur decks have the chase rares from the set.

Seconding, the Jeskai and Temur decks from this year are pretty cool beans.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

As a serious Commander player the 2020 decks are roughly twice as powerful as the 2019 decks and the 2019 commanders SUUUUUUUUUUCK except for K’rrik, who is overpowered and cool.

Also the partner Commanders in the 2020 sets as well as the free spells have had a very serious impact on the format and the Jeskai and Temur decks have the chase rares from the set.

Framboise posted:

Seconding, the Jeskai and Temur decks from this year are pretty cool beans.

The Jeskai deck has a cool theme in cycling, but without tweaks it's pretty weak. It wants to build up a board and get as many "when you cycle" triggers as possible, but it's really fragile and should have more recursion or at least a way to shuffle things from the graveyard back in. Other problems: the landcyclers don't trigger Gavi's ability; too many ETB tapped lands; and not enough cards with cycling. Drake Haven, Niv-Mizzet, and Locust God are all great enablers though.

The Temur deck is bonkers right out of the box, however; I haven't had this much fun copying spells since Wort. Getting triple Frantic Search with karoo lands out is a lot of fun.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I should have specified that you'd want to switch to Brallin and Shabraz for the Jeskai deck. Pako and Haldan are pretty nuts at a full table too.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Yeah, throw the three Curiousity effects in the Jeskai deck and some stuff like Jeskai Ascendancy and it's night and day. The 2020 partners are pretty great Commanders, and the wedge commanders are hit and miss but largely good.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Is there no thread to talk about Modern and Legacy anymore? Where can I complain about WOTC banning staples of the format for literally a decade because their new stupid cards broke things.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Is there no thread to talk about Modern and Legacy anymore? Where can I complain about WOTC banning staples of the format for literally a decade because their new stupid cards broke things.

You're going to complain about bans from years ago? Maybe try Reddit.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mox Opal was banned just this year. Also yes, I just got back to game I have a years of complaining to catch up on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Feel free to create a new thread about the formats. People are too hesitant to create new threads in TG. If there's no interest, it'll slip into the archives, no harm done.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
post here why wouldn't you post here

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

There is a thread for eternal formats, but it hasn't been posted in for months.

MTG Eternal Thread - Cardboard Yachtsmen

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I found these threads on page five of the subforum thread list:
Limited https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361226
Cube: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560252
MTG Pauper Thread - Cardboard Raft Boat: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785890
Eternal: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620

and commander https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636688

These are all also in the OP of this thread! Woop!

but if modern and legacy don't fit any of these, still, you can make a new thread or post in this one whatever

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 29, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the idea is that other than Commander and Limited (which is essentially the Arena thread since thats where all drafts in the US currently take place), all other formats can safely be ensconced in this here general thread because they move much slower and its much, much harder to buy into them. A player looking to get into Legacy or Modern is looking at dropping 4 figures if they want to be relevant.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: gently caress yes. love these bad boys.

<----- What uuuuuuuuup

BTW, up thread where someone said to donate your commons to Commons4Kids, you may want to ask them first before sending. Sounds like they'll take them but they often can't actually donate them to the preferred places, so they might just be getting dumped on goodwill or sold somewhere else.

"99% of the agencies we work with are religious based and will not accept Magic cards- we are currently learning this."
https://commons4kids.org/newblog/?page_id=14

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Would people be interested in doing an FNM style pod draft sometime this Friday? We would use https://mtgadraft.herokuapp.com/ for the draft portion and then play the games in arena. Since we are playing the games on arena we can decide what set to go with, though I would prefer m21 or dominaria. We would need 7 others to make the event work.

This means you would need wildcards and/or enough of the cards to reasonably make the deck you draft. We would likely just use the discord to chat and discuss things so that's also probably a requirement.
If you're interested PM me or message me on discord (I am mks5000 on there)

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 29, 2020

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks guys. The cycling deck sounds fun, but if the other is straight up better I’ll probably go for that one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

uncle blog posted:

Thanks guys. The cycling deck sounds fun, but if the other is straight up better I’ll probably go for that one.

They formatted Kalamax extra weird so you can make them infinitely big if you simply copy a spell on your opponent's turn. It's very accidentally stupid.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Mox Opal was banned just this year. Also yes, I just got back to game I have a years of complaining to catch up on.

I'm sure it was talked about alot when it happened

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Invictus posted:

nice. I like the look of old foils better than new ones, new ones have integrated foiling with the artwork and in certain cases that looks better, but the rainbow sheen is much more subdued on it and if I'm getting unnecessary reflective foiling on my cards I want it to be as garish as possible

anyways I took pictures of the entire rare binder and the stack of rares from my personal deck box. lol I remember when Might of Oaks was a thing because I don't think +7+7 had been done before then. how quaint.

here's an album of the 32-odd pages of rares if you'd like to take a gander and see if anything's special

and the pile of rares from my own stuff:

Storm Seeker has the same weird collectors value as other LEG cards.

Spike Weaver is $5 because remove a +1/+1 counter to fog is a unique effect valued by certain commanders.

Ol' Roflelos is $20 because he can ramp too fast. Donate is $4.50. Great Whale is $10 because there's numerous ways to break its effect. Quicksilver Amulet maintains $5 price because cheating in fatties is cool oh hey great whale will untap more than 4 lands what did I just loving say

Ruination is $5 because gently caress nonbasics. Furnace of Rath is also $5 because doubling is cool.

The binder opens with Yavimaya Hollow, a $50 card. I will be here a while.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks! I did a bunch of investigating myself and I think I identified most everything worth more than 2 dollars (or things I have multiples of that I can sell together for more than 5 bucks) so you don't have to do too deep a dive if you don't want to, but I do appreciate the effort.

Nice to see rancor and some other commons worth a decent bit, though I wish I still had my cases and cases of commons if stuff like that green Urza's Saga common druid lady is worth a lot because I definitely had dozens of her. Bah.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Invictus posted:

anyways I took pictures of the entire rare binder and the stack of rares from my personal deck box. lol I remember when Might of Oaks was a thing because I don't think +7+7 had been done before then. how quaint.

here's an album of the 32-odd pages of rares if you'd like to take a gander and see if anything's special

Static Orb is $15. Mana Severance a bit under $9. Vernal Equinox is $3.50. Tetsuo Umezawa is $50. Mirri's Guile is worthless give it to me jk it's $23 wheres its doubles master reprint I want one but not that bad.

Wave of Reckoning is about $3. Remembrance is $4. Crackdown is $5. Bedlam is also about $5. Darkest Hour is $4.50. Tainted Aether is $4.

Rishadan Brigand is 1.66, but the story behind that price is hilarious - look up "popeye stompy" if you want hard proof that mtg finance is broken and has been for years.

Everything else is like a quarter to two dollars, it's an overwhelming amount of not that much individually.

Signed cards are an unusual factor that depends a lot on to whom you are selling.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 30, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

They formatted Kalamax extra weird so you can make them infinitely big if you simply copy a spell on your opponent's turn. It's very accidentally stupid.

Wait what's this combo

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Framboise posted:

Wait what's this combo

kalamax + fork (or similar effect)?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Framboise posted:

Wait what's this combo

Your opponent casts a spell.
You cast a spell that copies it, your first spell this turn.
Kalamax makes a copy of it. Choose to target your original spell with the copy.
The copy resolves, making a copy of your spell. Choose to target your spell with the copy.
The copy resolves, making a copy of your spell. Choose to target your spell with the copy.

And so on.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Gross. I love it.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Throw in Ral, Storm’s Conduit to close out the game.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Drewjitsu posted:

kalamax + fork (or similar effect)?

Your Fork says interrupt, that doesn't work with Kalamax :colbert:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Mox Opal was a component in broken decks long before Urza came along

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Devor posted:

Your Fork says interrupt, that doesn't work with Kalamax :colbert:

I mean, yeah, I have r&d's secret lair in play. Lucky guess.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sampatrick posted:

Mox Opal was a component in broken decks long before Urza came along

Ya mox opal was like workshop in vintage where cards associated with it kept getting banned (e: excuse me, restricted) but clearly the issue was having a mox in modern, or a repeatable black lotus in vintage

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Balon posted:

Hell ya, I jam it in so many EDH decks. Great that it’ll have a little more availability.

I'm curious, what use does it have in EDH? Tech against combos that involve repeatedly tapping and untapping permanents?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I'm curious, what use does it have in EDH? Tech against combos that involve repeatedly tapping and untapping permanents?

Graveyard strats are quite powerful in a format made up 99 unique cards in a deck and built around situations of 'answer this or the game ends' and 'finish assembling this combo/engine and you probably win.' Having ways of filling the bin and pulling out what you need is just very, very powerful in general. Especially because you can build your deck to abuse Mesmeric Orb and break the symmetrical nature of the card- you can't stop your opponent from reaping some (unless they just have zero ways of interacting with their graveyard, at which point Orb also becomes an alternate win condition) but you can make sure you abuse it more, and better.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

C-Euro posted:

Your graveyard is a visible library. Consider everything in your graveyard open hand knowledge. You know where a card is when it’s in your yard.

Orb is one of the best ways to get everything you need in your library to where you can find it.

In addition to graveyard strategies, there are several ways to win with an empty library in EDH. Jace WoM, Lab Man, and Thassa’s Oracle. Orb and something like Aphetto Alchemist or Basalt Monolith just dumps everything in to your yard whenever you want. Easy peasy.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The only way to play modern now is MODO which has tanked in popularity compared to Arena or paper which COVID has neutered. Also many people like myself have just been broken by Modern Horizons and recent sets loving with modern and legacy. I just haven't given a poo poo sbout modern for months personally and judging by this thread others feel similarly.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

jassi007 posted:

The only way to play modern now is MODO which has tanked in popularity compared to Arena or paper which COVID has neutered. Also many people like myself have just been broken by Modern Horizons and recent sets loving with modern and legacy. I just haven't given a poo poo sbout modern for months personally and judging by this thread others feel similarly.

for me, it was actually the looting ban. I really enjoyed all of the decks that got banned. I won't argue that it wasn't too good of a card though. it absolutely was

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

To say the virtual GenCon cube draft is off to a rocky start would be an understatement.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
was a unicorn token in the cube? What?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Kurieg posted:

was a unicorn token in the cube? What?

Yep! Sadly the token disappeared when I went to deckbuilding. This event is so messed up, I saw so many duplicates. There were at least 4 Rhonas going around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Time posted:

for me, it was actually the looting ban. I really enjoyed all of the decks that got banned. I won't argue that it wasn't too good of a card though. it absolutely was

I think looting could be unbanned, I'm sure this is an unpopular opinon though. We all knew Hogaak was the real problem and that got banned at the same time, the looting ban hit a much wider swath of decks than was necessary to solve the actual problem with the format at the time.

I also think Mox Opal was the wrong ban at the time, not sure if I think that should come off the list. I think Affinity being constantly wavering from terrible to great in the format was better for it than just eliminating it.