Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Those of us who have to see fans speculate disagree. It's not cute. At all.

Even back when it was a thing (I haven't seen it in years for obvious reasons), it was largely sequestered in zelda fan-forums and often in its own subforums, so I've never gotten why people are still so mad about it. I can't recall any time I ever saw it intrude on typical game discussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Theorizing about the Zelda timeline is one of the oldest gaming forum traditions still alive today

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I didn't even think there was a timeline until Nintendo released that Zelda book.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This guy looks like if a Bullet Bill was a kidnapper

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

punk rebel ecks posted:

I didn't even think there was a timeline until Nintendo released that Zelda book.
:same:

Basically, I didn't think much about the continuity of Zelda (basically assumed there wasn't one, except in the case of direct sequels) until people started bringing up that Historia book in discussions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They only made that timeline to get Zelda fans to shut up about if one existed or not. That's the only explanation for a timeline that branches out from a Game Over in OoT.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I tried to go to the Screenrant twitter to see if they were being appropriately roasted for that entitled, whiny nonsense and jesus christ they tweet literally every 20 minutes, 99% of it being copping other websites'/sources news articles or announcements.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The third timeline should have branched out from when Link destroys the imprisoned, that timeline continuing despite him and the sword guy going back in time to fight demise

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat Crysis Remastered. That wasn't without its bugs, but it's still drat impressive that Crytek/Saber got that game running on a handheld.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pre-timeline, I preferred the notion of every Zelda story standing on its own, with the recurring elements and motifs playing into the archetype of there always being a big bad, and a hero to defeat him, with a princess caught in the middle somehow. It just feels more poetic that way, like how every culture has its own version of the creation myth. But I guess broke-brained gamers absolutely needed a Pepe Silvia wall to figure out how everything tied together

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ironically it's sticking to those common motifs that gave us so many cookie cutter zeldas that no longer felt mysterious or captivating. Still chill adventure games but pretty lacking in the creative world building for a while.

BotW was a very welcome shake up even if the world ended up being a little sparse. The best game before that, ALBW, didn't even feel like its own original entry but rather a remixed and souped up take on lttp

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Hoshi wo Miru Hito dropped on the Japanese eShop today, but it doesn't look like they have any intention of bringing it to the west, or in english.

Kind of a shame, I was looking forward to seeing such a comically bad title finally getting an official english release

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm loving the Trials of Mana remake but one of the jump sounds Angela makes is AWFUL.
It's just this high-pitched screech.

At least it's not Charlotte.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just sort of gathered that Hyrule was more of an Avalon kind of magical realm and that Link was just different manifestations of "Legendary Hero" as the different interpretations of the story were told. Some people, maye horse riding nomads think The Legend of Zelda is Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, some folksy hobbit people grew up hearing Link to the Past//Link between worlds, and seafaring cultures tell stories about Windwaker or Link's Awakening. When the "official timeline" came out I sort of glanced at it, but it just feels extremely unnecessary. If anything BotW just reinforces my own fan theory, that it takes place in the same robots and aliens world as Twilight Princess.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the timeline kind of makes sense but the structure of Breath of the Wild heavily implies that they're just sorta abandoning it, which I am fine with

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They'll release another game and it will explicitly be built for the timeline where they care about the timeline, while they will put BotW and BotW2 on the timeline where they do not care about the timeline.

Curiously, Majora's Mask will be in the CAT branch and Ocarina of Time will be in the DCAT branch.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm just gonna put my theory out there for the always fun and fulfilling Zelda timeline talk:
BotW actually exists in a new timeline that branches off in Skyword Sword. OoT exists in the timeline where the Imprisoned was deleted by the Triforce and Ganondorf is a normal dude that obtained divine power by stealing the Triforce of Power. BotW exists in the timeline where Link traveled to the past to defeat Demise in combat, and Calamity Ganon is the reincarnation of Demise's Wrath. The Sheikah technology in BotW is actually reverse engineered from the divine technology in Skyword Sword.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My favorite timeline branch is whichever one that Tingle game exists in.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Which branch of the timeline results in Samus visiting Popstar?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm loving the Trials of Mana remake but one of the jump sounds Angela makes is AWFUL.
It's just this high-pitched screech.

At least it's not Charlotte.

I downloaded the demo and the voice acting caused it to be deleted within 5 minutes.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Finally got around to beating Mario Rabids. That game ruled.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cartoon Man posted:

It must be the witching hour for “gently caress you Nintendo” articles, here’s another one:

https://www.ign.com/articles/competitive-smash-bros-scandal-nintendo-response?amp=1

The article HEAVILY implies that because Nintendo DOESN’T officially sponsor smash brothers tournaments and other community events, that it’s their fault that there is a ton of sexual assault and misogyny in the community.

Wow that's a loving garbage take. Being "official" doesn't even guarantee poo poo like that gets prevented, because it has happened in other communities that did get official support! (ie DOTA 2 tournaments which were officially set up by Valve themselves.)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"Nintendo is in the wrong for not giving money to sweaty pedophiles" is an extremely Gamer take

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The eSports scene being a total trash fire is precisely WHY Nintendo has never wanted to touch that poo poo. Nintendo are the masters of image control and always have been, and were savvy enough to look at eSports and see exactly the kind of toxic bullshit it creates and go "nah, we're good".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1288534863323201536

Miiverse may be gone but we still remember :patriot:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

I just sort of gathered that Hyrule was more of an Avalon kind of magical realm and that Link was just different manifestations of "Legendary Hero" as the different interpretations of the story were told.

I was going to say this, because I feel like I remember Nintendo or one of the creators saying that this is exactly what the connection between the games is supposed to be. It's even got Legend right in the title.

I think I read it in an interview around the time Wind Waker came out, but I can't think of a good way to Google it now that there's a timeline.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Animal Crossing just got updated in Japan at least, and that dream feature was added, but you can only go and visit islands that you know the number for? I thought the whole idea is you could see a random island of just somebody on the internet. I mean, if they're somebody you know already you can just visit the island in person.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah it's kinda lame. I was hoping to be able to just browse randos and also show off my island without spamming a code everywhere. This seems designed for internet personalities who want their fans to see their island without having to friend them or be online.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

put tekwar on switch

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

that is some nice looking water. didn’t think it could look that good

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

put tekwar on switch
Kids gotta learn about it sooner or later

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

nice boat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I absolutely thought of that guy during that scene in OK.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Animal Crossing just got updated in Japan at least, and that dream feature was added, but you can only go and visit islands that you know the number for? I thought the whole idea is you could see a random island of just somebody on the internet. I mean, if they're somebody you know already you can just visit the island in person.

Since I'm an adult dad nowadays, I'm glad my 7 year old won't risk seeing cock displays and random creepy stuff. She can visit our family and friend's islands without us having to be playing, I guess? Are the villagers present?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

The eSports scene being a total trash fire is precisely WHY Nintendo has never wanted to touch that poo poo. Nintendo are the masters of image control and always have been, and were savvy enough to look at eSports and see exactly the kind of toxic bullshit it creates and go "nah, we're good".

It’s worth remembering that Nintendo calls Smash a party game first, competitive fighting game second.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

As time passes people will do cool things with it and put their codes up on the internet for people to check out. KFC have made an island after all. That podcast/interview thing where they use Animal Crossing as the platform might put their code up for people to see the "studio", stuff like that.

There were also a few horror-esque creepy towns floating around in New Leaf which tried some pretty minimalist storytelling using multiple houses. At any rate you wont just be stuck visiting friends, there'll be sites that collect codes of places worth seeing I'm sure

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zelda having a timeline makes it pretty grim since you're basically saying Hyrule goes through apocalypses and loses technology over and over for thousands of years leaving everyone scrabbling in the dirt trying not to be murdered by monsters

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks for whoever recommended tangledeep. This is exactly the level of consolized top down dungeon roguelike I wanted. Feels like playing dungeons of dredmor or powder or that era of roguelike

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Zelda having a timeline makes it pretty grim since you're basically saying Hyrule goes through apocalypses and loses technology over and over for thousands of years leaving everyone scrabbling in the dirt trying not to be murdered by monsters

This is the first thing I’ve ever read about the Zelda timeline bullshit that appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tbf that’s just how things operate in general on a smaller scale. Peace doesn’t last forever.