Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't really hold much ill will for ANN after they managed to rightfully kill Vic Mignogna's career by dragging all his bullshit out into public.
ANN doing one good thing doesn't prevent them from being bad on the whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they've also advertised a literal cult so i wouldn't say they're perfectly woke either

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

they've also advertised a literal cult so i wouldn't say they're perfectly woke either

First I heard of that one :suspense:.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wasn't the review that complained about horrible writing and misogyny in UBW, especially in comparison to noted bastion of feminism that is Fate/Zero also on ANN? I vaguely categorized ANN as "place that should be ignored and disregarded" in my headspace, but I realized I don't remember any real details as to why.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I tend to trust people on forums more than professional reviewers when it comes to most things these days.

Same but the reverse.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wasn't the review that complained about horrible writing and misogyny in UBW, especially in comparison to noted bastion of feminism that is Fate/Zero also on ANN? I vaguely categorized ANN as "place that should be ignored and disregarded" in my headspace, but I realized I don't remember any real details as to why.

Yes. They also made the same complaint about Jojo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

trust no one but your own eyes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

trust no one but your own eyes

this

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

what if you're blind

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you still have four senses left. make use of them as best you can

also ann has a weird thing with fate. some of the writers there act like the series is literally impenetrable cause it's got a lot of entries and some of them have light continuity

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I tend to trust people on forums more than professional reviewers when it comes to most things these days.

you should definitely not trust people on forums

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

alright, ill let your favorite twitter guy be exempt from the dumb and bad group, this time...

Endorph posted:

he really isnt considering whenever he covers yuri anime he tries to place stuff that he thinks is 'good' and 'wholesome' in contrast with stuff he doesnt, because a dude projecting his madonna whore complex onto art about lesbianism is woke

wow instant karma lol

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

you still have four senses left. make use of them as best you can

Lick your monitor to review anime.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Fangz posted:

you should definitely not trust people on forums

"more" is a relative term fyi

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

what if you're blind
Then please contribute to my kickstarter where a bored Russian man overdubs Japanese audio dramas. Just like in the old Iron Curtain days with the original audio faded but still audible under the dubber's voice.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Then please contribute to my kickstarter where a bored Russian man overdubs Japanese audio dramas. Just like in the old Iron Curtain days with the original audio faded but still audible under the dubber's voice.

:bisonyes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Jacob Chapman seems pretty cool and was very briefly a goon.
remembering the time jacob chapman went on a giant rant on twitter about how transwomen who transitioned late 'missed their chance' and exist primarily to victimize young trans men

and also the time he said the lesbian in scum's wish should gently caress her male cousin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't really hold much ill will for ANN after they managed to rightfully kill Vic Mignogna's career by dragging all his bullshit out into public.
remembering when the first accusations about vic came out, back in like 2014, and ann ran a giant article condemning the accusers, saying it should be a private matter, and that even if he did do something, public accusations would just make him double down

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I didn't know any of that poo poo about Chapman. That's really disappointing to hear.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

First I heard of that one :suspense:.

It was an anime that was basically cheery propaganda about their leader who is (was?) on death row for the time for a sarin gas attack that killed 12 people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah they ran an ad for an anime promoting a cult and all the staff instinctively doubled down on it and got really mad at people making fun of them. the dude who translated dies irae got a quick joke in at their expense, nothing mean, and the response was for multiple ann staff members to accuse him of being a nazi who translated a vn that promoted hatecrimes.

ann are ghouls

they also pay freelancers like poo poo when they pay them at all

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

and also the time he said the lesbian in scum's wish should gently caress her male cousin

Lol, what?

Edit: I’ve read/watched Scum’s Wish so I’m not all “what?” about that scenario, but about how anyone could have that perspective.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Was this a separate thing from the promoted post some site did about Happy Science's studio? Was that Crunchy?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

remembering the time jacob chapman went on a giant rant on twitter about how transwomen who transitioned late 'missed their chance' and exist primarily to victimize young trans men

thanks now i have a reason to actually hate this person instead of merely finding them aggravating

and by extension ANN as a whole

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Shrug.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

Was this a separate thing from the promoted post some site did about Happy Science's studio? Was that Crunchy?

No that was also ANN.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
ANN is an english-language database of who voice acted in/worked on what shows. Using it for anything else is a mistake.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pokemon continues to kill me w its adorableness, while Deca-Dence goes on the "wait till it's marathonable" list. Tired of counting the days waiting for it to elicit an emotion outta me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do you have like, a dossier, on everyone, Endorph?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

No?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Release the Endorph files!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Splode posted:

Release the Endorph files!
creepy poo poo

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
This detail sucks and I cannot reinvigorate this thread on my own!

Still enjoying Deca-dence, and will be watching Millionaire Detective and at some point catch up on digimon adventure: but that's about it for returning and new shows this season.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

yeah it's right here haha

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol what a dumb loving last five minutes for god of highschool

completely dumping on one of your main trio and also structuring it so that they win the fight but the bad guy just finds and steals the priceless heirloom sword and waves it to taunt the trio while they're driving off? and mira just smiles and says it's fine because uhhhh. they ran down a drat purse snatcher in ep 1 so this seems like something you'd put a little effort into retrieving???

no idea how far i made it when i was reading but im surprised i forgot this

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'm mainly stickin w gohs to see where it goes, what w nearly all the characters who got to show off and beat rear end in the op having already lost.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pootybutt posted:

I'm mainly stickin w gohs to see where it goes, what w nearly all the characters who got to show off and beat rear end in the op having already lost.

in my experience korean manwha just maintain enormous tottering casts so i expect every one of those characters to show back up when the plot moves past the tournament

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Julias posted:

This detail sucks and I cannot reinvigorate this thread on my own!

Still enjoying Deca-dence, and will be watching Millionaire Detective and at some point catch up on digimon adventure: but that's about it for returning and new shows this season.

I've let Deca-dence build up for a few weeks, I am instead watching SNAFU. I hadn't seen any of it, so I've binge watched the previous two seasons and now I'm up to date, I'm enjoying it!

Nothing else this season has particularly grabbed my attention.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paracelsus posted:

ANN is an english-language database of who voice acted in/worked on what shows. Using it for anything else is a mistake.

it used to be a long time ago, now anidb is far superior in that feature too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Truga posted:

it used to be a long time ago, now anidb is far superior in that feature too

does anidb have the show staff comparison feature ann has?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

When Gundam Build Divers Re Rise went on hiatus it was starting to get interesting, but I was still pretty sure that nothing they could do in the second cour could make up for how extremely boring the first cour was. But it kinda has. The payoff for the characters being so closed off and uncommunicative about themselves is pretty great.

I am completely on board for seeing these guys re rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Re:Rise feels like it is primarily being written by someone who hated how thin and pathosless GBD was even for an unabashedly Kidz Bop Gundam and is now trying to do.an object lesson and I'm into it