Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

On the topic of the campaign, I'm surprised by how difficult it actually is at times. I played through the Wings of Liberty episode for the first time after owning StarCraft 2 for like 8 years and it was pretty drat easy even on Brutal. I downloaded BW before continuing on to the others so that I could play through it and have an actual of idea of who the gently caress everyone is in SC2 and some of these missions are taking me like 3 or 4 attempts. I'm currently stuck on the mission where Kerrigan hatches from her crystal prison; defending it is fine but I can't break the Terran defenses to kill them after that happens because of how many turrets and tanks they have.

I bought the Remastered version specifically so I could play the campaign in a not-poo poo resolution and it's kind of made me want to try playing ladder games, but I have a feeling I'd just get stomped over and over with no end in sight. At least from what I've played in the campaign though I really like the combat. It's a nice change of pace from SC2 where I mostly just A-Move one giant control group, siege my tanks, and maybe cast some EMPs every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The campaigns ramp up quite fast. good old 90s game design spends the tutorial teaching you how to click and expects you to figure out how to play on your own. It’s definitely not the SC2 approach of “new unit, build 50 and a-move to win”. Have fun with the second half of the Brood War Zerg campaign especially

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
The Starcraft box set was my first introduction to SC 1. I was only like 10 or 11 at the time and didn't initially realize that I was playing the expansion rather than the base game. I foolishly decided to play the Terran campaign first and it just throws you in the deep end. It's fine if you are coming from SC1 campaign but I had zero clue what I was doing. I distinctly remember running my 2 tanks and 8ish marines directly into the huge spider mine minefield in front of the enemy base and losing everything. Then 2 firebats walked into my base and killed all my scvs lol.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

i vomit kittens posted:

On the topic of the campaign, I'm surprised by how difficult it actually is at times. I played through the Wings of Liberty episode for the first time after owning StarCraft 2 for like 8 years and it was pretty drat easy even on Brutal. I downloaded BW before continuing on to the others so that I could play through it and have an actual of idea of who the gently caress everyone is in SC2 and some of these missions are taking me like 3 or 4 attempts. I'm currently stuck on the mission where Kerrigan hatches from her crystal prison; defending it is fine but I can't break the Terran defenses to kill them after that happens because of how many turrets and tanks they have.

I bought the Remastered version specifically so I could play the campaign in a not-poo poo resolution and it's kind of made me want to try playing ladder games, but I have a feeling I'd just get stomped over and over with no end in sight. At least from what I've played in the campaign though I really like the combat. It's a nice change of pace from SC2 where I mostly just A-Move one giant control group, siege my tanks, and maybe cast some EMPs every once in a while.

Yeah, the original campaigns are a very different beast from the SC2 campaigns. For Zerg especially, make sure you get at least one extra hatchery up - never try to play the zerg on only one hatchery for production. Focus on opening up one small section for a landing zone with a squad of mutalisks, then land the ground forces.

Also, respect Queens and Parasite. Parasiting the dropships on that map in particular will basically reveal the whole drat map for you.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Ignore those guys, here's a much quicker and simpler strategy

It won't embed

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Heavy_D posted:

It won't embed

Simpler, he says.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I remember doing that mission with cheats. It involved queens with infinite mana spamming broodlings.

The mission before was a kick in the rear end. They got siege tanks, that's not fair!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Heavy_D posted:

It won't embed
what

Anyway,
A lot the early campaign mission are kinda annoying due to the limited unit availabilty (Terran 6(?) where you have marines/wraiths/goliaths vs an entire map covered in sunken/spore colonies comes to mind).

For Zerg 4, the AI doesn't have Siege mode on his tanks, so I found mass hydralisks to do fairly well - all you need is an unprotected place to drop them (IIRC top left of the island in the SW end of the map doesnt have turrets). Also, once you start fighting on an island, the AI cheerfully drops reinforcements 1-2 units at a time, so you can whittle down his entire army from one island. Personally I found Zerg 3 more annoying, since that one pits you against sieged tanks on high ground (and no Queens yet, so broodlings are out).

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nostalgamus posted:

what

Anyway,
A lot the early campaign mission are kinda annoying due to the limited unit availabilty (Terran 6(?) where you have marines/wraiths/goliaths vs an entire map covered in sunken/spore colonies comes to mind).

For Zerg 4, the AI doesn't have Siege mode on his tanks, so I found mass hydralisks to do fairly well - all you need is an unprotected place to drop them (IIRC top left of the island in the SW end of the map doesnt have turrets). Also, once you start fighting on an island, the AI cheerfully drops reinforcements 1-2 units at a time, so you can whittle down his entire army from one island. Personally I found Zerg 3 more annoying, since that one pits you against sieged tanks on high ground (and no Queens yet, so broodlings are out).

Easy answer to Zerg 3 is to use a group of Mutas to clear out the very meager resistance in the top-right, and drop your forces there instead of trying to fight up a ramp. Hell, you could even set up a small base there if you really wanted to try.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

If you are curious, this is played on an early version of the game. There are two major glitches going on here:

1) If you morph a drone with 1hp into a building then cancel the building, the drone comes out invincible
2) If you instruct a drone to become an extractor, then queue another move command, then drop below 50 minerals before the extractors starts morphing, the drone will "float" and can move over obstacles

That's why the player keeps researching and cancelling burrow. Obviously none of these glitches work now as they messed up ladder games at the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's absolutely glorious

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Artosis and Tasteless casting a Racewar with all the big names. Have not had chance to watch yet, but I am hoping for some nice games!
Round 1 https://youtube.com/watch?v=Hg09K8v8qVY
Round 2 https://youtube.com/watch?v=2AfiJgopyto
Round 3 https://youtube.com/watch?v=JNL-Qmn7OBA

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

anchorpunch posted:

Artosis and Tasteless casting a Racewar with all the big names. Have not had chance to watch yet, but I am hoping for some nice games!
Round 1 https://youtube.com/watch?v=Hg09K8v8qVY
Round 2 https://youtube.com/watch?v=2AfiJgopyto
Round 3 https://youtube.com/watch?v=JNL-Qmn7OBA

Thanks for posting, I had no idea about this. The very first game was good for sure, I'm looking forward to the rest!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
When is there gonna be more brood war?

I was also debating picking up aoe2 or sc:remastered as a game I actually play. Not sure which I'd choose. It doesn't help that the only people I know who play RTS these days play age of empires 3, aka the most boring RTS game I've played this decade.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Khorne posted:

The new Afreeca team league is picking teams tomorrow and starts play near the end of the month

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Khorne posted:

I was also debating picking up aoe2 or sc:remastered as a game I actually play. Not sure which I'd choose. It doesn't help that the only people I know who play RTS these days play age of empires 3, aka the most boring RTS game I've played this decade.

I tried both and if you're interested in online play then I recommend AoE2: DE - much more players (outside Korea), and less brutal skill curve.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ASTL teams

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
no leta = no watch

E: why is sharp tier 3 there? He’s better than half the tier two guys. Also lol at best’s extremely weak group

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

abuse culture. posted:

no leta = no watch

E: why is sharp tier 3 there? He’s better than half the tier two guys. Also lol at best’s extremely weak group

Sharp was in tier 2. Not sure how the draw worked exactly but Soma and Action were in tier 1 so maybe something got changed around, or messed up by the fact that Stork is coaching so had to pick himself first? Idk

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Does the T next to Flash's name mean he won't be playing random for this teamleague? I really want to see his random game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

College Rockout posted:

Does the T next to Flash's name mean he won't be playing random for this teamleague? I really want to see his random game.
I hope Flash crushes as random so that they ban random from tournaments and force you to pick a race in the lobby. Random is going to give flash an immediate advantage in most matchups provided he can perform. And 1/3 times he gets Terran which means he gets to be flash playing super-terran due to the opponent being forced to consider if he's Z or P.

It makes sense that he is playing Terran in a team league. I hope the next ASL he busts out random.

Gmaz posted:

I tried both and if you're interested in online play then I recommend AoE2: DE - much more players (outside Korea), and less brutal skill curve.
Skill curve isn't too big of a deal. Being an east coast US player is the bigger issue in SCR which ties into the player count thing you pointed out.

I like the macro of aoe2, kinda I wish certain things scaled a bit faster, but I've never liked the units/combat aspect of it that much. Certain things are fun (dodging siege, boat combat, microing to keep melee/cav on things, splitting archers/focus fire with archers) but overall Starcraft is the game that originally killed Age of Empires for me due to micro and unit design. Warcraft 3 too, but well reforged ruined that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 14, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i was looking for more info on this astl and on doing so i learned a lot of really...unfortunate things about stork and sea

tl;dr the two of them extremely ganged up on last and forced him out of competitive starcraft due to extensive belittlement and repeatedly siccing their fanbases to harass him :smith:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Anyone have a recommended compendium of basic build orders for someone just getting into the multiplayer? I'm okay at SC2 and mechanically I think I do okay (using Protoss which is legitimately the ez BW race lul), but I don't have any feeling for when I should be doing what just yet and need some help.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Disclaimer, I play Terran and am very bad. Liquidpedia has build orders listed by match-up for each race (link for protoss), and it's very useful imo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i was looking for more info on this astl and on doing so i learned a lot of really...unfortunate things about stork and sea

tl;dr the two of them extremely ganged up on last and forced him out of competitive starcraft due to extensive belittlement and repeatedly siccing their fanbases to harass him :smith:

What the gently caress? That's awful, especially against the dude that was 2 wins away from being ASL champ

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

because I'm so ready for some more brood war I went looking for the exact dates that the matches start, and it's this Sunday

quote:

28th June - 21st July Every Sunday and Tuesday 7PM KST

also this tournament will feature 2vs2 and 3vs3 matches.... : - s

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Aces High posted:

What the gently caress? That's awful, especially against the dude that was 2 wins away from being ASL champ

From what some Koreans have said on Team Liquid, it's apparently part of the Afreeca streaming 'culture' to do poo poo like this. On the other hand, some players (most notably Flash, and also, somewhat hilariously, firebathero) think that culture loving sucks and I am inclined to agree.

also astl is not being cast by tasteless and artosis and there's no word if it will have an english cast at all, blech

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 23, 2020

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I love Starcraft but I really love tastosis so that’s a no watch from me.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Speaking of Stork, some more drama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKNJW4p2IM

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i learned from the comments section of that video that soulkey got scammed and is 100k in debt because of it, rip

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Does anyone have a link for a good english cast of the astl?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

anchorpunch posted:

Does anyone have a link for a good english cast of the astl?

SaiyanSC on youtube did one for the first group. He does ok except for the 3v3 which blows his mind

Eonzerg and Nyoken did the second group, should be on one of their channels. Eon‘s accent kind of kills me to listen to, it’s not thrilling commentary but at least they both know what they’re talking about.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Thanks, watched the First One and it is alright. Too bad they wouldn't they play the remainig games though. I was really looking Forward to seeing the 2vs2. I loved playing 2v2@LT in the late 90's/Early 2000's. Are there people in this thread who are still playing? I havent started Broodwar in at least a decade and my APM has got to be absolutely pathetic by now. (Not that I was ever good). I imagine joining a match on bnet would not be fun for anyone involved, but maybe there are more people like me here? If so I woul not mind giving it a try again^^

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my wrists are loving shot, i can force myself to play kerbal space program through the pain but that's basically it for m+k games these days. starcraft would fuckin kill me anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jeez. If that's the case, I'd hate to see the state of your dick

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i vomit kittens posted:

Yeah lol, I went back to OG SC and some of the missions are reallly hard. To Slay The Beast, Emperor's Fall, Fury of the Swarm are all crazy.

I straight up can't beat To Slay The Beast. Hydras don't have long enough range and Muta/Devourer has nothing on Valk/Devourer

It's hard to decide which is better between the SC1 and 2 campaigns. The story in 1 is pulpy and fun, the story in 2 is way overwrought and overdramatic (SC 1 the Confederacy had like 12 worlds, in SC2 there's like 500).

The setpieces are more memorable in 2, but then you have a lot of missions where you can just mass your newest unit and then forget about it in the next mission.

Also the campaign only zerg upgrades in 2 were boring as hell.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 5, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it took 2 hours and over 2,000 zerglings to finish omega on hard

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjiBqhcAc9s

FlaSh will play random for the first time August 4th

Khorne
May 1, 2002
it's august 4th where is flash getting crushed or crushing while offracing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

it's august 4th where is flash getting crushed or crushing while offracing

I'd be interested in seeing that. Do you happen to have a link to an english cast that you could share please?