Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
There have been some pretty good digital sales for Astro City, but I know the physical volumes may be harder to find.

Apparently they're still going to make more new content as graphic novels, though I can imagine the current mess has delayed that a bit.

As for the Invincible animated series, I'd expect them to at least slightly tone down some of the more questionable parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't read The Boys, but from what I've heard, despite the show being pretty tasteless itself, it's way more tasteful than the comic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

wielder posted:

There have been some pretty good digital sales for Astro City, but I know the physical volumes may be harder to find.

In fact, the collected editions are on sale on Comixology right now!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read The Boys, but from what I've heard, despite the show being pretty tasteless itself, it's way more tasteful than the comic.

Yuuuuuup.

Frankly there isn't any reason to read the comics now that the show exists.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The actors in The Boys really elevate the material.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Agreeing with the above, yeah. It is extremely Garth Ennis without an editor.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What other comics were made irrelevant by their live action or animated adaptations?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

What other comics were made irrelevant by their live action or animated adaptations?

iZombie maybe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

The actors in The Boys really elevate the material.

Anthony Starr deserves to be a huge, he was great on Banshee but holy gently caress is he amazing as Homelander.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wanted and Kickass both come to mind

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Wanted and Kickass both come to mind

Depending on how you view it, Logan (the movie) makes the comic Old Man Logan irrelevant.

I would argue that's kind of an apples-and-oranges comparison but I know a lot of people don't like OML so I don't begrudge them wanting to see Logan as a superior version that replaces the other.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

Depending on how you view it, Logan (the movie) makes the comic Old Man Logan irrelevant.

I would argue that's kind of an apples-and-oranges comparison but I know a lot of people don't like OML so I don't begrudge them wanting to see Logan as a superior version that replaces the other.

I dunno I'd say the original Old Man Logan comic is still pretty decent, if edgier than it really needed to be(but it's honestly hard to find Superhero comics made past the mid 80's that don't run into that issue)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's edgy Millar bullshit. And let's just gloss past the whole rape thing right?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

im going to get flamed for this but Preacher

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Netflix Punisher is so much better than every page of source material.

Except the dating again page.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't want to say irrelevant, but honestly the Cloak & Dagger TV show does the origin and the leads' relationship in a much more relevant way. Especially since the original is so rooted in '80s New York.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Locke & Key.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iron man

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
come to think of it......all of them Lol

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are the marvel rising shows worth a look? I've noticed there's a bunch and was jonesing for some animated marvel stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Are the marvel rising shows worth a look? I've noticed there's a bunch and was jonesing for some animated marvel stuff.

I wish they were, but they’re mostly just bland and boring.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg6R6yXKSLYBUf6lW9SLlp_Qy_1soxXUI

Watch all of Rocket and Groot. All 12 episodes, about 2 minutes each.

It's very worth it and fun. Marvel Rising isn't any of these things.

The only redeeming quality is Quake's voice actress showing up in it as Quake other than that...eh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fuego Fish posted:

Locke & Key.

This cannot be a serious post

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Blockhouse posted:

This cannot be a serious post

The show is better than the comic :colbert:

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Netflix Punisher is so much better than every page of source material.

Except the dating again page.

Am I the only person who loves Garths Punisher and thinks its a top 5 run in superhero comics?

Cuz man, i liked Netflix Punisher but felt it missed alot of the bleakness of Garths Punisher (which to me was a huge appeal of the run).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I liked Punisher MAX, but his other Punisher stuff is usually too Garth Ennis for me. Pee pee, doo doo, butts, superheroes are dumb, we get it dude.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I liked Punisher MAX, but his other Punisher stuff is usually too Garth Ennis for me. Pee pee, doo doo, butts, superheroes are dumb, we get it dude.

Wolverine fights a little person and spends a story arc with his face blown off ha ha.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wouldn't place it as a superhero book myself but Ennis' Punisher MAX is one of my all time favorite comics but punisher s1 is pretty head and shoulders above non-ennis-max punisher comics

site fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 27, 2020

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

"Do not Fall in New York City" is one of my favorite Punisher stories ever and nothing on his MK run comes even close.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The next DC animated thing will be an anthology collection with a mix of shorts that have already come out anchored with a new interactive adaptation of Death in the Family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DpmjfHzRFg
They're bringing back the original Under the Red Hood cast of Bruce Greenwood as Batman, Vincent Martella as Robin and John DiMaggio as Joker.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"It really feels like I'm the one killing Jason Todd!" ~ a reviewer who has never Google'd Jason Todd

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

The cast list for Amazon's Invincible animated series is pretty great. Apparently a trailer is coming soon.

Mark Grayson (Invincible): Steven Yeun
Nolan Grayson (Omni-Man): J. K. Simmons
Debbie Grayson: Sandra Oh
Art Rosebaum: Mark Hamill
Cecil Stedman: Walton Goggins
Allen the Alien: Seth Rogen
Atom Eve: Gillian Jacobs
Rex Splode: Jason Mantzoukas
Robot: Zachary Quinto
The Immortal: Ross Marquand
War Woman: Lauren Cohan
Green Ghost: Sonequa Martin-Green
Martian Man: Chad Coleman
William Clockwell: Andrew Rannells
Amber Bennett: Zazie Beetz
Red Rush: Michael Cudlitz
Darkwing: Lennie James
Doc Seismic: Chris Diamantopoulos
Black Samson: Khary Payton
Dupli-Kate: Malese Jow
Monster Girl: Kevin Michael Richardson and Grey Griffin
Shrinking Ray: Grey Griffin
Mauler Twins: Kevin Michael Richardson

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am that that's happening.

Skwirl posted:

iZombie maybe?

I love the iZombie show so much. I hate the comic, despite the great art. It's so loving twee.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1297302288948748288

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I quite liked Superman: Man of Tomorrow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is wonderful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah yeah I know It's The Brand but that was kind of amazing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The best one is this one also featuring Terry

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know why, but the various Batmans all kinda hating Terry gives me unreasonable joy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This is the greatest thing I've seen all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AlternateNu posted:

This is the greatest thing I've seen all day.

If I won a giant lottery tomorrow, part of that money would go to pay Kevin Conroy and Will Friedle to mst3k the entire 60's batman movie