Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I've been out of the dashcam game for a bit. I used to have the Mini 0906 dual cam setup in my car that worked great but at some point I took the front cam out the car and then lost it. It doesn't look like I can buy just a front cam so if I'm buying a whole new kit anyway I figured I'd see what the current recommendation is.

I saw Techmoan recommends this Aukey dual unit but his review is from 2018. I know Blueskysea has a new version of the 0906 as well, they're both about the same price. Any others I should be looking at around $125?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

stevewm posted:

North Indy?

north indy is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Edq2RHXcXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2nkHdj8gV4

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Despite being a Brit, Ive only ever driven in the US and where I live we don’t have many big roundabouts so I’d appreciate an explanation of what happens in the 2nd video, just because I don’t want to do anything stupid in case I’m driving out of state. I still feel super guilty about a howler I made a few weeks ago, so always trying to learn.

I don’t hear turning signals for the lane change and it feels like a blind spot check would’ve shown the white car coming up, so what am I missing? I know the video wouldn’t have been posted if the dashcam person was in the wrong (which I’m presuming is you based on the username) but I can’t work out what white car did wrong despite multiple views.

Learning to drive and getting your license in Florida is loving stupid and irresponsible, ask me about how I went from nothing to having my license after being on the road for around 6 hours total in a dangerous city full of crazy people...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Despite being a Brit, Ive only ever driven in the US and where I live we don’t have many big roundabouts so I’d appreciate an explanation of what happens in the 2nd video, just because I don’t want to do anything stupid in case I’m driving out of state. I still feel super guilty about a howler I made a few weeks ago, so always trying to learn.

I don’t hear turning signals for the lane change and it feels like a blind spot check would’ve shown the white car coming up, so what am I missing? I know the video wouldn’t have been posted if the dashcam person was in the wrong (which I’m presuming is you based on the username) but I can’t work out what white car did wrong despite multiple views.
No, you definitely interpreted that correctly. And ... oooh, boy, that quote ain't how it works.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh ok, I knew both videos came from the same car due to the matching time stamps and the first was blatantly a dude halfway in the lane causing chaos so I assumed the 2nd was also the other car at fault. That gives me some relief!

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
Assuming the white Sentra was on the left of the camera car and they entered the traffic circle from south, it attempted to cross the flow and exit east from the inner lane. The only exit options for the inner lane are north or west. Camera car had the right to exit east or continue on and exit north, which it was trying to do.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Learning to drive and getting your license in Florida is loving stupid and irresponsible, ask me about how I went from nothing to having my license after being on the road for around 6 hours total in a dangerous city full of crazy people...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m not a traffic engineer but that’s a poorly designed traffic circle IMO.

For a two lane circle, the outside lane must exit and the inside lane may exit. That’s not how that circle is designed, though. Assuming the arrows are the same all around, it looks like there are two thru lanes which is how you end up with crisscrossing traffic.

People also tend to not signal in traffic circles which adds to the problem. Signal left when staying in the circle, signal right when exiting.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

I’m not a traffic engineer but that’s a poorly designed traffic circle IMO.

For a two lane circle, the outside lane must exit and the inside lane may exit. That’s not how that circle is designed, though. Assuming the arrows are the same all around, it looks like there are two thru lanes which is how you end up with crisscrossing traffic.

People also tend to not signal in traffic circles which adds to the problem. Signal left when staying in the circle, signal right when exiting.
Agreed. The signage before the circle, I would interpret the way the poster seems to have. The lines in the circle contradict that, though.

It's a bad circle and everyone drove badly.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Krakkles posted:

Agreed. The signage before the circle, I would interpret the way the poster seems to have. The lines in the circle contradict that, though.

It's a bad circle and everyone drove badly.

Yeah I'll agree with this

Around here most 2 laners have right lane straight/right and left lane straight/left and I'm not going to lie I still don't know where duder came from in the 2nd video.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
He made a U-turn via the roundabout.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My dash cam refuses to stay stuck to the windshield. Anyone have a recommendation of what kind of adhesive to use? The foamy stickers included have not been working...

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

dexter6 posted:

My dash cam refuses to stay stuck to the windshield. Anyone have a recommendation of what kind of adhesive to use? The foamy stickers included have not been working...

Get some genuine 3M branded double sided tape. The thin black stuff. VHB.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't get the thin black stuff. You want 3M 4991, the thick gray acrylic stuff that comes on GoPro mounts. I have literally never had a piece of 4991 tape detach in any situation I've used it, including on motorcycle helmets and fairings, on combat robots, and underwater.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tape-4991-Width-Length/dp/B007Y7H1PO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3m%2B4991&qid=1594336328&sr=8-1&th=1

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Don't get the thin black stuff. You want 3M 4991, the thick gray acrylic stuff that comes on GoPro mounts. I have literally never had a piece of 4991 tape detach in any situation I've used it, including on motorcycle helmets and fairings, on combat robots, and underwater.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tape-4991-Width-Length/dp/B007Y7H1PO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3m%2B4991&qid=1594336328&sr=8-1&th=1
Thanks. the 3M VHB thin black is what I had, but I ordered the 4991 you linked.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just had a cop yell at me to slow down and then he just kept going on his way. You can't hear it in the video because the mic on my camera makes it sound like I'm listening to the music way louder than I am and you might need to turn the volume down because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGrcM40z0s

I don't feel like I was doing anything to justify him yelling that at me? I wasn't hauling rear end through the turn, my tires didn't make any noise, I didn't get on it at all coming out of the turn because I saw the cop. He obviously didn't pull me over either, so what gives?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fknlo posted:

I just had a cop yell at me to slow down and then he just kept going on his way. You can't hear it in the video because the mic on my camera makes it sound like I'm listening to the music way louder than I am and you might need to turn the volume down because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGrcM40z0s

I don't feel like I was doing anything to justify him yelling that at me? I wasn't hauling rear end through the turn, my tires didn't make any noise, I didn't get on it at all coming out of the turn because I saw the cop. He obviously didn't pull me over either, so what gives?

ACAB. You're lucky you didn't die from 50 bullets through your car for looking like a suspect for some crime two counties away.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rexxed posted:

ACAB. You're lucky you didn't die from 50 bullets through your car for looking like a suspect for some crime two counties away.

Edgy, brah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

literally true though? cops are just power tripping pricks and he yelled at you because he could. there's nothing more to it

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah I didn't mean to start up a derail about ACAB, but there was nothing wrong with the driving in the video and the cop was just being a dickhead. There's plenty of places to talk about them being violent control freaks like the protest threads.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"I didn't mean to start a derail, but I'm gonna continue to reemphasize the point while simultaneously admitting this isn't the place for it."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Godholio posted:

"I didn't mean to start a derail, but I'm gonna continue to reemphasize the point while simultaneously admitting this isn't the place for it."

every place is a place for ACAB

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

lazydog posted:

I've got one of these Aukey DR02 low profile wedge shaped dashcams with capacitor
I've had it for about 2 years, and it's done fine so far with 100F+ temperatures. It doesn't have any fancy features like wifi/bluetooth transfers, so you've gotta take the camera down or take the card out to get videos off of it.

Thanks for this recommendation. I installed this about a week ago and it works with no fuss. Only issue is running the cable down to the cigarette outlet. Those drat little adhesive cable runners just do not stick, so I've had a wire dangling around the passenger side all week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same, the pads did nothing. Cable been hanging to various degrees for about 10 months now.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I run my cable through my A-pillar. Didn't have to remove the trim, just pull it up enough to tuck the cable inside.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Kazy posted:

I run my cable through my A-pillar. Didn't have to remove the trim, just pull it up enough to tuck the cable inside.

Yeah, usually a spudger or an old gift card/credit card is all you need to push the wiring behind the A pillar trim and there's usually points under/behind the glovebox that you can tuck the cable up behind and zip tie it up to keep it out of the way and out of sight before it comes around to the socket. I've also had luck using 3M velcro rather than the plastic tabs, I think the wire having a bit of extra play sitting in velcro helps keep it from pulling off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't you need to be sure the wire goes behind the air bag?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I run mine down the side facing the windshield.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, I thought wiring to the fuse box would be a pain in the rear end, but it took me a total of 15 minutes to hardwire and tuck it in the headliner, a-pillar (I removed mine to put it behind the airbag).

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
And if the wire is too thin to wedge into the crevice & stay, wrap some electrical tape around it in a few key spots til it's thick enough.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Why wait a beat for a gap to open up when you can jam your car in between two semis?

https://i.imgur.com/IaXLEal.mp4

This didn't seem smart

https://i.imgur.com/XAIkRQv.mp4

In the past 3 years, I've noticed more and more Floridian drivers believe it's legal to make a U-turn on a red light

https://i.imgur.com/g1Dti5I.mp4

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Godzilla07 posted:

In the past 3 years, I've noticed more and more Floridian drivers believe it's legal to make a U-turn on a red light
https://i.imgur.com/g1Dti5I.mp4

What's the problem with this? They aren't going through the red light. They're not even entering the intersection.

/s if it isn't obvious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is actually explicitly legal in AZ if the center median has a gap like that.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Alexa show me why Orlando is the most dangerous city for pedestrians in the United States

https://i.imgur.com/OzwjKRJ.mp4

I just knew a Sentra that hadn't been washed in ages with a missing hubcap and a back seat full of crap was gonna be bad news

https://i.imgur.com/jWGgerF.mp4

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What an I looking at here? Don't see anything of interest in either of those GIFs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In the first one a car rolls through a red light into a right turn.

In the second one a car wobbles a little in its lane.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

In the first one a car rolls through a red light into a right turn.

In the second one a car wobbles a little in its lane.

Got it, thanks. In my state, right hand turns on red are perfectly legal, unless prohibited by a sign. The wobbling car is a thing I see multiple times a day in traffic, it's usually somebody playing with the cell phone.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nitrox posted:

What an I looking at here? Don't see anything of interest in either of those GIFs

Absolutely blowing through a red light while a clearly visible pedestrian has right-of-way in the crosswalk is bad imo

The second is garden variety distracted driving but impressive for how many times they drift in the span of a quarter mile

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Got it, thanks. In my state, right hand turns on red are perfectly legal, unless prohibited by a sign. The wobbling car is a thing I see multiple times a day in traffic, it's usually somebody playing with the cell phone.

Even in states where turning right on red is legal, you are still supposed to come to a complete stop before making the turn -- you basically treat it like a stop sign. I once had a woman nearly rear-end me because she apparently wasn't expecting me to do so. As I started to pull into the turn, she swerved into the opposing lane to get around me and leaned on the horn while flipping me off. Real winner.

I agree that the person weaving in the lane is like meh whatever. Half the drivers on the road do that. They're all poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's from my wife's fun drive home today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoM19XC0KkI

Yes I'm putting up their license plate, because gently caress them. But also I'm annoyed the rear cam got bumped because without a picture of the driver's face, the CHP won't do jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Looks like a normal day in Miami, honestly.